General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » New to tri's in Indonesia Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-09-06 11:10 AM

Subject: New to tri's in Indonesia
Hi All,

I just did my first tri (sprint distance) in Jakarta this last weekend. I really enjoyed it but biking is definitely the area I need to work on the most. The running is my strongest. I'm coming to doing tri's from doing long distance trail/altitude runs. So the fact that I finished the tri in under 1.40 was a bonus. The last trail run I competed in this month was 6 plus hours. So endurance isn't an issue. Looking forward to stepping it up and going for an olympic distance tri.

I'm living in Jakarta, Indonesia which has some of the worst traffic in the world. So the cycle practice is going to be an issue. The most I'll probably be able to do is twice a week. Or I might suck it up and cycle to work some days of the week before rainy season. I've already organised early morning tri swim training in a pool near my work but at 5am :/ It's the only way I'll fit it in and get to see my son before he goes to sleep at night.

Other training I do is running 2/3x a week a combination of road and trails. I also do strength and conditioning training with muay thai 2x a week.

Really looking forward to my next tri which will probably be the Pariaman triathalon in Sumatra in November. I love pushing my body to it's limits and getting to travel to some cool places with it

Looking forward to reading some of your tips.

2015-09-06 6:44 PM
in reply to: Travellingchez

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Subject: RE: New to tri's in Indonesia
Welcome! Simiar issues here in Vietnam with traffic. Two words of adbvice--bike trainer! That allows you to cycle any day of the week and get i. A quality workout at a time that workds for you and your family situation. You can save the outdoor biking for when conditions allow. IndoIron Yanti on this forum is a great source of information for all things Indonesian and tri.
2015-09-06 8:06 PM
in reply to: #5139041

Subject: RE: New to tri's in Indonesia
Thanks Hot Runner. I've spotted Yanti on another thread. Will definitely be picking her brains.

I'll have a look out for a bike trainer that I can use my bike with. Though it might go the same way as my treadmill and become a clothes hanger. I just get really bored training inside but outside can keep going and going. I'd like to move further out of Jakarta to have more options to cycle but would only do that if I get a job nearby. Otherwise my time will get sucked in by the traffic and I won't actually get chance to take advance of more outside space anyway.
New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » New to tri's in Indonesia Rss Feed