General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Can I make it on my bike? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-09-07 11:35 AM

Subject: Can I make it on my bike?
Hi everyone,
So this summer I decided to do my first iron man. The only thing I've ever done that's similar is a sprint triathlon. I bought a 2015 giant defy 5 for about 700 bucks. I'm doing the full iron man. I was confident in my training until a seasoned ironman competitor told me she wasn't sure if I'd make the cut off on that bike!! Wtf. I did my second ride ever yesterday, 16 miles at about 3:40/mile. The race is in May. What do you all think? Btw. I've been an athlete for many years. I'm 22 and ran track at a division 1 school. So I might be new to this, but not to sports.

2015-09-07 1:01 PM
in reply to: Thewr80

User image

Ottawa, Ontario
Subject: RE: Can I make it on my bike?
Granted I'm training for my first half ironman next summer but I'd say you can make it if you put the work in and believe in yourself. Never underestimate the power in the mental game.
2015-09-08 3:35 PM
in reply to: #5139152

User image

Yes, I think you can make it. Will it be as easy as if you were on a tri bike? Likely not, but I have no doubts you can finish it.

As far as what the lady told you, I suspect that what she was really saying was "I have doubts if I could finish on that." Trust in your training and you'll be fine. If you put the training miles in on that bike and get very used to how it rides and what quirks it has, you'll be fine race day.

I'm planning on doing a HIM this October on a 2014 Nishiki Maricopa. It's a Dick's-brand road bike (the only road bike Dick's sells) that I paid $450 for. I have no qualms about using it for the HIM. I'm not ready for the full IM yet and I won't attempt one until 2017 at the earliest (not traveling to any races next year, and no full IM near my location), but I'm not planning on buying a new bike in that time frame, which means I'll be doing the full IM on a bike that, from what I can tell given a quick internet search, is fairly similar to yours (read - an aluminum construction road bike). I have no question that I'll be able to finish the IM with it. I think you'll be fine so long as you don't let her comment get in your head on race day.
2015-09-08 6:56 PM
in reply to: #5139415

User image

Newport, North Carolina
You will be just fine. What do you think they road in Kona before all of the fancy tri specific and carbon bikes? Plain old steel and aluminum.
2015-09-09 9:24 AM

User image

Expert
Salem
I did my one and only iron distance (Vineman 140.6) on an entry level Giant Defy with some typical upgrades. No problem.
2015-09-09 10:35 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
No reason why you couldn't complete it on that bike, I've seen people complete on much, much worse :p

It's really just going to be about your bike fitness and comfort, which can definitely come in that time.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Can I make it on my bike? Rss Feed