General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Starting freestyle lessons! Wish me luck! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 1

2015-09-08 4:51 PM

User image

Denver, Colorado
Subject: Starting freestyle lessons! Wish me luck!
Being the biggest fan of breaststroke in triathlon community is not easy

To be faithful to my vows from few months ago - I signed up for individual swim classes. I'm starting this week. I told the instructor what my goal is, what I'm struggling with and that I REQUIRE patience. I'd rather have more classes, but master my breathing, than have all steps covered, but no results.

I am very positive and hopefully I not only learn front crawl - but I also like it and enjoy it.
I will keep you posted on my progress.

In the meantime, my Sprint Triathlon next week will be done in my very favorite breaststroke
Mary

2015-09-08 4:58 PM
in reply to: marysia83

User image

Master
Los Angeles, CA
Subject: RE: Starting freestyle lessons! Wish me luck!
I hope you love it too! Good luck with the lessons!
2015-09-08 5:07 PM

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

I have no doubt you will learn it well and be much faster.  Good luck with your lessons and your upcoming race.

2015-09-08 6:19 PM

Salt Lake City
I started freestyle lessons last week. I have been able to self-coach cycling and running (thanks to numerous online and printed resources), but for us "adult onset" competitive swimmers, I think paying a swim coach is money well-spent.

My coach met with me, watched me swim, taught me a few drills, and then gave me a workout that I will use for the next two weeks (3x week). We'll then meet again and repeat the process. I hope to continue this process through the winter. I can already see improvement...
2015-09-08 7:24 PM
in reply to: #5139430

, Ontario
Good luck and enjoy! I've been laughing at myself for the last few moths as I have realized that my breaststroke is as fast as my front crawl despite two years of efforts to speed up in front crawl. I love breaststroke but it hasn't been an option for me as I hurt my knees swimming across a lake doing breastroke as a teen and haven't ever been able to do it for long without the pain coming back. I couldn't find a one on one coach so I've signed up for masters swimming in hopes it will help me improve my front crawl -fortunately I signed up before seeing the other thread about how horrible some masters swimming groups can be.
2015-09-11 8:59 AM

User image

Denver, Colorado
Thank you guys! I truly appreciate your advices and support!

I actually made it to my first class and I can say it was pretty successful. My initial front crawl existed only until the moment I had to take a breath, and at the end of the class I swam 25 yards!!! I was happy like a little kid

I found that my legs got tired, which surprised me, since I am doing a little bit of swimming/biking/running here and there. I am also fully capable to swim over a mile in breaststroke EASY without feeling tired, but I guess it might be just a different type of workout, and my legs were not used to?

Anyways, I am very positive about it and looking forward to practice, and for another lessons. I cannot say I fully enjoyed it (as much as I am obsessed with breaststroke), but I kind of liked it and I felt pretty relaxed - which never happened before.

Mary

2015-09-11 9:18 AM

User image

Master
Falls Church, Virginia
Glad to hear your first class went well. I'm starting lessons at the end of September, so we're in this together!
2015-09-11 11:28 AM
in reply to: Atlantia

User image

Denver, Colorado
How awesome! I wish you all the best with your class
Mary
2015-09-11 11:36 AM

User image

Master
Los Angeles, CA
Originally posted by marysia83

I found that my legs got tired, which surprised me, since I am doing a little bit of swimming/biking/running here and there. I am also fully capable to swim over a mile in breaststroke EASY without feeling tired, but I guess it might be just a different type of workout, and my legs were not used to?

This is most likely due to kicking alot trying to maintain a feeling of balance in the water. After several more lessons you will learn you won't have to kick as much.
2015-09-11 11:44 AM
in reply to: kloofyroland

User image

Denver, Colorado
Originally posted by kloofyroland

This is most likely due to kicking alot trying to maintain a feeling of balance in the water. After several more lessons you will learn you won't have to kick as much.

You are probably right. I told the instructor I did not want to focus on anything else until I feel comfortable with breathing. So I will be honest, I did not pay attention to my legs.

Thanks for your support!
Maria
2015-09-11 11:50 AM

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by kloofyroland
Originally posted by marysia83 I found that my legs got tired, which surprised me, since I am doing a little bit of swimming/biking/running here and there. I am also fully capable to swim over a mile in breaststroke EASY without feeling tired, but I guess it might be just a different type of workout, and my legs were not used to?

There is most definitely that, but also the fitness in being able to kick. I could run and ride circles around everyone at Masters, but was about the worst at kick sets until I did more of them.

2015-09-13 6:39 PM
in reply to: #5139459

User image

Denver, Colorado
That makes a lot of sense what you are saying. Thank you!
I am extremely happy I was comfortable with breathing and looking forward to master the kicks
2015-09-20 3:08 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2015-09-23 2:00 PM
in reply to: helveeta

Denver, Colorado
You would never believe (I still can't...), but this front crawl thing is actually looking pretty good

I did not have a class last week, because I had a race on Saturday. I will have the next one tomorrow. But I practiced some today and I was doing 25 yards with no problem I still feel a little nervous about a breathing, but it gets more and more controlled. I was thinking about trying to do 50 yards, but decided there will be time for that.

Thanks for support!
Mary
2015-09-23 3:16 PM

Exton, PA

I told the instructor I did not want to focus on anything else until I feel comfortable with breathing.

Maria

This is why kids learn to swim easier than adults. Kids listen and do what they are told, and adults want to tell the instructor how to teach them swim. It's like taking your car to a mechanic to get it fixed and then telling the mechanic how to fix the car.

Just trust the instructor to teach you to swim.
2015-09-23 3:17 PM

Katy, Texas
Good luck! I look forward to hearing about your progress.

2015-09-23 3:46 PM
in reply to: mike761

Denver, Colorado
Originally posted by mike761

I told the instructor I did not want to focus on anything else until I feel comfortable with breathing.

Maria

This is why kids learn to swim easier than adults. Kids listen and do what they are told, and adults want to tell the instructor how to teach them swim. It's like taking your car to a mechanic to get it fixed and then telling the mechanic how to fix the car.

Just trust the instructor to teach you to swim.

I do agree with you partially. And I believe we all had a discussion on this subject a while ago. I definitely want to trust the instructor and I know he knows what he's doing, but at the same time - I saw how kids classes look like (my two children are taking it too), and I participated in adult classes. And the approach is slightly different. I did not want my individual class to be similar to group class I took six months ago. I am pretty sure the instructor was skilled, but at the same time - how was I supposed to do any kicks if I could not control my breath and after 3 seconds I was done?

Obviously, I did not shout at this guy "you HAVE to teach me breathing and you HAVE to do it the way I watched on youtube", but I explained my previous experience and fears, and goals as well - and I think it worked out, because after 20 minutes I was able to swim through the pool

Mary
2015-09-23 3:47 PM
in reply to: 3mar

Denver, Colorado
Originally posted by 3mar

Good luck! I look forward to hearing about your progress.

Thanks! I cannot wait until I can tell you guys I actually did triathlon in front crawl
Mary
2015-09-23 4:10 PM

Extreme Veteran
, Connecticut
Good for you. I'm the last out of the water in all the sprints and my oly. I keep saying I'll get those lessons...
2015-09-23 4:20 PM
in reply to: MuscleMomma

Pro

Good luck!!  You have one of the greatest attitudes on the board.  I wish you nothing but success!

2015-10-11 7:12 AM

2015-10-23 11:27 AM
in reply to: helveeta

Denver, Colorado
Originally posted by helveeta

How's it going with your lessons??

I had my first meeting with a coach yesterday, he gave me lots of good tips on how to improve my form, I am so happy! My 9 year old learned to crawl in 10 minutes! He's so excited!

I am so happy you like being coached! How's it going? Congrats to the little one too

My lessons are going great - learned to flip turn. And did 50 m. I was sick for two weeks and no exercises at all, so I lost a lot of fitness. But I managed I cannot believe I can actually swim in front crawl, it's amazing!!
Mary
2015-10-24 10:16 AM

Master
Los Angeles, CA

Originally posted by helveeta

How's it going with your lessons??

I had my first meeting with a coach yesterday, he gave me lots of good tips on how to improve my form, I am so happy! My 9 year old learned to crawl in 10 minutes! He's so excited!

I am so happy you like being coached! How's it going? Congrats to the little one too

My lessons are going great - learned to flip turn. And did 50 m. I was sick for two weeks and no exercises at all, so I lost a lot of fitness. But I managed I cannot believe I can actually swim in front crawl, it's amazing!!
Mary

Yay!
2015-10-24 1:17 PM

Extreme Veteran
, Connecticut
As the one always the last out of the lake I took my first group lesson Sunday. Lucky to have a good quality tri club that has some really expert swimmers willing to teach. Being self taught I was afraid I'd be the worst, but happily went to lane three out of six. First two for very new or weak swimmers. I'm slow, but not horrible - think I don't kick enough and drag my lower body.

I'm sure they will let me know. Just got lots of pep talks, they watched us swim and timed us.

I did 2:47/100. No improvement in a year. While I studied youtube clips, I didn't swim enough - and can't know if I incorporated any of what I learned. I've realized I don't have the body awareness I thought I had.

It is exciting to realize that I might actually be able to learn to swim!

Mitzi
2015-11-15 6:20 AM

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Starting freestyle lessons! Wish me luck! Rss Feed  

of 1

RELATED POSTS

first cyclocross wish me luck

Started by ride_like_u_stole_it
Views: 655 Posts: 9

2005-10-13 1:07 PM AdventureBear

Wishing Rocket Man GOOD LUCK!

Started by oipolloi
Views: 817 Posts: 14

2005-10-12 5:50 PM huengsolo

Here we go...wish us luck!

Started by brookeb
Views: 1039 Posts: 20

2005-05-14 4:04 PM Dr Hammer

wish me luck

Started by canswim
Views: 656 Posts: 2

2005-04-13 4:25 PM Machiavelo

Wish me luck

Started by madcow
Views: 978 Posts: 22

2004-08-26 1:40 PM TriMom217
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 11, 2009
author : Total Immersion
comments : 1
In this third part, Terry Laughlin discusses how to achieve an optimal freestyle stroke and what drills go into developing a good stroke.

date : August 22, 2006
author : Team BT
comments : 0
Vytra TOBAY Triathlon swim start provided by jpcan.
date : July 30, 2006
author : mhan22
comments : 2
If you are calm while everyone around you is losing it, you probably don’t know what the hell is going on.

date : June 21, 2006
author : Ron
Some are getting a little OWS practice in, others are strategizing, the rest are just plain scared.
date : June 21, 2006
author : Ron
These ladies are impressive. This video will show you what you will have to look forward to at a wave start.

date : January 1, 2006
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 1
The three drills we will be focusing on today are a more “advanced” version of catch-up, which help you with distance per stroke AND keep you rotating from side to side (hip rotation).
date : February 28, 2005
author : rautorino
Does it matter how fast you go? Does it matter if you win? No. It only matters that you tri your best and smile when you cross the finish line.

date : January 10, 2005
author : Ken
comments : 7
Don't worry, you can't do anything that hasn't been done before. Read this article for some humorous insights of one triathlete's introduction to the sport.