General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Did my first tri (Oly) this past weekend Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-09-09 8:04 AM

Subject: Did my first tri (Oly) this past weekend
Wow - what a great adventure, I can see how folks get hooked on these.

Back story - I am a long time swimmer, been a "runner" for the last 10 or so years and 2 years into road biking. Got a bike after too many running injuries.

Anyways - nice local event - Island Lake triathlon (MI) - there was a much "bigger" event same weekend, so mostly this field was amateurs and a few experienced folks.

Swim - 27:19 - as soon as the Olympic wave wen toff, I swung quite wide and just gave myself space, knowing I was a strong enough swimmer to keep up/pass people and not get caught in the chaos. Worked well, after the first turn, I was in a group of about 4-5 swimmers nearby who were all similar in speed and had minimal traffic. Once we made the second loop we came up on some sprint folks who went off after us, but it wasn't too hard to pick my way through.

T! - 2:35 - I know, terrible. I really didn't practice transitions much, and I also decided the morning of to put on my shoes vs. mount with them clipped in, as my bike corral was near the mount line. I took time to have some water, and was really careful not to forget anything.

Bike - 1:15:57 - this was quite a bit faster than I planned. Since I did well in the swim (came out of water 7th overall) most of the cyclists I was in with were top folks on aero bikes or at least in a good tuck on aero clip ons. I have clips ons as well, and while I wanted to pace myself a little slower, I really felt good so just tried to hang the best i could. Had some gel and lots of water as temps were climbing to the mid/high 80s.

T2 - 2:50 - This was always going to be my issue. Due to a tendon issue in my left leg, I pretty much tape my foot every time I run anything over 3 miles. So in T2, I actually dried off and taped my foot before putting on socks and running shoes. Had more water before heading out slowly.

Run - 1:01:19 - this was the only "goal" i set for myself and didn't hit. I wanted to run in under an hour, and I wanted to run the whole 10K without walking/stopping. Around the 2 1/2 mile mark, my stomach was in absolute knots and I simply could not push through it. Ended up walking a few stretched of the course, maybe 3-4 minutes total, running the rest. Finally felt good again around mile 5, and ran through the rest.

Coming down the stretch, i saw the clock nearing the 2:50 mark and broke out into a dead sprint to try and beat it out. Ended up at 2:49:58 - good for 18th overall (out of 72), and 5th in my age/gender. Immediately collected my medal, took off shoes and went right back into the lake to cool off.

It was really a great time - lots of people on the course encouraging each other and congratulation each other at the finish. Not sure when my next tri would be, I have been interested for a while now in OWS, and I'm thinking of doing a 10K swim that's held late next summer that i think I have time to train for. I think with that training, I could possibly sprinkle a sprint tri in the mix, but who knows what the future holds!

Edited by H2OhNo 2015-09-09 8:05 AM

2015-09-09 10:21 AM
in reply to: H2OhNo

User image

Master
Minnetonka, Minnesota
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Did my first tri (Oly) this past weekend
Great first Tri, congrats!
2015-09-09 1:29 PM

User image

Edmond, Oklahoma
Great first race! Congrats!
2015-09-09 4:10 PM

, Idaho
Really nice job your first.

As you've pointed out, you left quite a bit of time on the table during transitions...and that's ok, especially for the first, but it's a fun area to get better at and know you'll be much faster at transitions your next time out.

As you do more triathlons, you'll figure out pacing with the bike and be able to bring your run time way down.

Sprints are a lot of fun and pretty easy to fit in if you're working out consistently.
2015-09-09 7:08 PM

User image

Groton, New York
Nice. Congratulations. My first tri was an Oly distance three years ago. I signed up for it early in the year and then decided maybe I should get in some practice beforehand so I signed up for a small Sprint tri at the YMCA. Both races I've now done three times. They are both great fun and the Sprint tri is early in Spring so I use it to kick off the season. Each year I've done these races I get faster. Keep at it and you'll be impressed at how fast the time comes down.
2015-09-09 10:22 PM

User image

Veteran
Aurora, Illinois
Congrats on your first race and welcome to the club!

2015-09-10 7:05 AM

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

Congrats on the  first Tri!

If you use your race log you can save it for eternity!  Every once in awhile I'll go back and read my old race logs for kicks.

Nice goal on the 10k swim, I couldn't imagine doing that.

2015-09-11 11:50 PM
in reply to: Donto

User image

Expert
Boise, Idaho

Congrats, Triathlete.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Did my first tri (Oly) this past weekend Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Sprint tri the weekend b4 my first Oly

Started by CzechYourHead
Views: 828 Posts: 6

2013-06-11 5:05 PM CzechYourHead

First Oly this weekend

Started by jw115
Views: 498 Posts: 1

2009-06-21 8:52 PM jw115

First oly this weekend - please calm me down! Pages: 1 2

Started by creck0927
Views: 1940 Posts: 26

2008-06-23 8:11 AM obrats

First Oly, done! Pages: 1 2

Started by TriMom217
Views: 1470 Posts: 31

2004-08-31 3:48 PM TriMom217

First Bike Ride This Past Weekend

Started by cdf26.2
Views: 808 Posts: 4

2004-06-07 10:47 AM ckujawa
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 28, 2011
author : fivecents
comments : 5
What my first sprint distance triathlon taught me about myself.

date : May 1, 2006
author : mikericci
comments : 0
I'm in decent shape and have no weight to lose but have absolutely no tri experience, what’s the best plan of attack that won't put me back in the waiting room?