Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Kombucha, Yogurt, Beer and other home experiments. Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply
2015-09-09 6:15 PM

User image

Sensei
Sin City
Subject: Kombucha, Yogurt, Beer and other home experiments.

Look at me, starting a thread for the first time in who knows how long.

SO, in my quest to make at home a cheaper/better product than I can buy in a store (and not always successful, but at least I try) my new foray is into Kombucha.

Let me say, the beer I made, WIN.  The wine? Meh.  The Greek yogurt?  Not bad and saves money after the machine pays for itself.  Homemade kraut and pickles?  Pretty good but easier to buy.  I'm thinking about jerky....

Anyway - Back to Kombucha.  Decided to grow my own SCOBY from scratch (and a bottle of the raw stuff from whole food).  My little jellyfish blob seems to be thriving - I still have to name it, so we'll see in a couple weeks if it's a success.

Anyone with experience?  Tips? Recipes? Mostly looking to do flavored versions (in particular, ginger).  Preferred teas to use?  Sugar preferences or other forms of sugar that might work?

2015-09-09 6:58 PM
in reply to: Kido

User image

Master
Falls Church, Virginia
Subject: RE: Kombucha, Yogurt, Beer and other home experiments.
Never made it myself, and I'm sure you've done your own Googling...but in the interest of bringing back some of that activity we've all been talking about on the other thread, I give you this link: http://www.thekitchn.com/how-to-make-kombucha-tea-at-home-cooking-l...
The Kitchn has never EVER led me astray. Go forth and ferment!
2015-09-11 4:59 PM
in reply to: Atlantia

User image

Sensei
Sin City

LOL, great minds I guess.  That's been my BK page (beginner Kombucha).  We'll see if it plays out.

2015-09-12 9:15 PM

User image

Bronze member

I've made yogurt. I actually really like home made better than store bought but I quit dairy so just don't need to make it anymore. I've bought Kombucha. It is gross enough from the store that I'm pretty sure I don't want to tackle that one! Good luck. I'm in a fermenting FB group and members are always posting pictures of their creations.

2015-09-17 10:20 AM

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
I make Kombucha, similar start to the way you describe.

Sanitation is key. Make sure you keep a paper towel covering whatever you are "growing" the tea in.

Always save some Tea for the next batch.

Cut away anything that looks like it even might be mold/bad. Scoby's should basically be a white'ish blob.

Don't use Honey, otherwise whatever (sugary) sweetener should be ok. I always use black tea (the cheap stuff)

Make sure to test it every few days before it turns to vinegar (unless you like it strong)
For a drink I mix mine 1/2 with ginger ale/beer.
2015-09-17 10:31 AM
in reply to: Leegoocrap

User image

Pro

Originally posted by Leegoocrap I make Kombucha, similar start to the way you describe. Sanitation is key. Make sure you keep a paper towel covering whatever you are "growing" the tea in. Always save some Tea for the next batch. Cut away anything that looks like it even might be mold/bad. Scoby's should basically be a white'ish blob. Don't use Honey, otherwise whatever (sugary) sweetener should be ok. I always use black tea (the cheap stuff) Make sure to test it every few days before it turns to vinegar (unless you like it strong) For a drink I mix mine 1/2 with ginger ale/beer.

I've never even heard of Kombucha (what IS it??)........but if I googled it, and this is what popped up......HELL NO!!!! 

2015-09-17 11:08 AM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by Left Brain

Originally posted by Leegoocrap I make Kombucha, similar start to the way you describe. Sanitation is key. Make sure you keep a paper towel covering whatever you are "growing" the tea in. Always save some Tea for the next batch. Cut away anything that looks like it even might be mold/bad. Scoby's should basically be a white'ish blob. Don't use Honey, otherwise whatever (sugary) sweetener should be ok. I always use black tea (the cheap stuff) Make sure to test it every few days before it turns to vinegar (unless you like it strong) For a drink I mix mine 1/2 with ginger ale/beer.

I've never even heard of Kombucha (what IS it??)........but if I googled it, and this is what popped up......HELL NO!!!! 

This thread had me thinking about trying to make my own yogurt, or kombucha... until this post. Scary

2015-09-17 11:19 AM

User image

Master
Falls Church, Virginia

I've tasted the bottled stuff. I'm typically pretty pumped to try new things, and I really thought I would like Kombucha, but I did not find it tasty. Maybe the homemade stuff is better?
2015-09-17 1:18 PM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

In the "other home experiments" category... I make my own deodorant, shampoo and foundation makeup. It began as a journey to reduce the amount of harsh chemicals on my skin, and has eliminated the scalp (seborrheic dermatitis) and skin (eczema) issues I was battling for the better part of 10 years. I won't hijack this thread from beer and yogurt anymore, but if anyone wants to know more I'd be happy to share.

2015-09-17 1:23 PM
in reply to: lisac957

User image

Pro

Originally posted by lisac957

In the "other home experiments" category... I make my own deodorant, shampoo and foundation makeup. It began as a journey to reduce the amount of harsh chemicals on my skin, and has eliminated the scalp (seborrheic dermatitis) and skin (eczema) issues I was battling for the better part of 10 years. I won't hijack this thread from beer and yogurt anymore, but if anyone wants to know more I'd be happy to share.

Well, now I'm curious......what ingredients go into home made deodorant?  (I'm perfectly happy with my foundation makeup or I'd want to know that too)

2015-09-17 1:28 PM

User image

Sensei
Sin City

Yeah, it's not the prettiest.  But neither is the sludge of yeast and stuff at the bottom of a carboy when making beer and that stuff turns out pretty good!  Same principle.  Kombucha is a slightly fermented sweet tea.  It's supposed to have many health benefits and to me, tastes pretty good.  The smell is a little weird - like fermenting wine but the taste is a slightly carbonated, tart and sweet tea with bit of a kick.  Let it sit too long, it turns to vinegar of some sort.

2015-09-17 1:29 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Well, now I'm curious......what ingredients go into home made deodorant?  (I'm perfectly happy with my foundation makeup or I'd want to know that too)

I just spit water on my keyboard   I'm curious too but unlike LB I would like info on the foundation as well

2015-09-17 1:51 PM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Originally posted by rrrunner

I just spit water on my keyboard   I'm curious too but unlike LB I would like info on the foundation as well

Homemade deodorant is a combo of coconut oil, shea butter, baking soda and corn starch or arrowroot. Here's a base recipe I use.

For makeup, I purchase a mineral makeup base and then a pigment blend and mix them together. Here's the base recipe and instructions - it may take some trial and error but once you get your ratios down it's easy to replicate. I am just now getting ready to re-order supplies and the first order lasted me for about 18 months and cost $25. I love the coverage, too - just as good as a popular mineral-based makeup I was using and spending like $40 a month on. The other great thing is that if your skin tone changes - like gets darker in the summer or paler in the winter - it's so simple to tweak your recipe.

2015-09-17 1:56 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by rrrunner

Homemade deodorant is a combo of coconut oil, shea butter, baking soda and corn starch or arrowroot. Here's a base recipe I use.

For makeup, I purchase a mineral makeup base and then a pigment blend and mix them together. Here's the base recipe and instructions - it may take some trial and error but once you get your ratios down it's easy to replicate. I am just now getting ready to re-order supplies and the first order lasted me for about 18 months and cost $25. I love the coverage, too - just as good as a popular mineral-based makeup I was using and spending like $40 a month on. The other great thing is that if your skin tone changes - like gets darker in the summer or paler in the winter - it's so simple to tweak your recipe.

Huh. Interesting. I'll have to check that out. Thanks!

Now to decide if I want to attempt yogurt

2015-09-17 1:58 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

New user
Austin, Texas

I dig the home brewed stuff. I'm assuming the deoderant works well? Does it...melt in the heat? It actually sounds delicious and I'm wondering if I'd wake up from a nap with my dog licking my pits (now thats a sexy image)

Edited by trijamie 2015-09-17 1:59 PM
2015-09-17 2:25 PM

User image

Master
Falls Church, Virginia

Yeah you need to start a thread on that!

2015-09-17 4:05 PM
in reply to: trijamie

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Originally posted by trijamie

I dig the home brewed stuff. I'm assuming the deoderant works well? Does it...melt in the heat? It actually sounds delicious and I'm wondering if I'd wake up from a nap with my dog licking my pits (now thats a sexy image)

Since it's not an antiperspirant it doesn't keep you from sweating - but it does block odor well. After a small adjustment period, I found I don't sweat nearly as much in normal daily activities (now running is a different story, I pour buckets of sweat from every part of my body when I run!). In the summer, the mixture does get a little "melty" but it actually makes it easier to apply. In the winter it's pretty solid and you have to hold it against your skin to get it spreadable. 

I will also caveat that some people's skin doesn't react well to baking soda as the pH levels are pretty harsh. So some either use less baking soda, or balance the pH levels by swabbing on something like apple cider vinegar or witch hazel beforehand.

2015-09-17 4:11 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by trijamie

Since it's not an antiperspirant it doesn't keep you from sweating - but it does block odor well. After a small adjustment period, I found I don't sweat nearly as much in normal daily activities (now running is a different story, I pour buckets of sweat from every part of my body when I run!). In the summer, the mixture does get a little "melty" but it actually makes it easier to apply. In the winter it's pretty solid and you have to hold it against your skin to get it spreadable. 

I will also caveat that some people's skin doesn't react well to baking soda as the pH levels are pretty harsh. So some either use less baking soda, or balance the pH levels by swabbing on something like apple cider vinegar or witch hazel beforehand.

The comments on the link you shared discussed a lot of that.

2015-09-19 5:52 PM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Hey, look at you, starting a thread for the first time in who knows how long.

Good one too, interesting stuff
2015-10-02 11:45 AM

User image

I make yogurt every week, it's simple easy peasy...
4litres of milk, a crock pot, and voila la!
Dump the milk into the crock, if you have a probe set it to 180 degrees, when it heats up, let it cool to 110. Mix 2 cups of the hot milk with 4 tablespoons of starter yogurt, (any plain yogurt with live cultures) then mix that into the crock of milk, put the lid on, put the whole thing in the oven with the oven light on (to keep it sorta warm) wrap it in a towel to make it really cozy. Let it sit for oh 8 to 20hrs. Cool then strain (line a strainer with paper coffee filters) the whey off for greek yogurt. Thats it. Start it at 5 pm so it can come out of the oven and into the fridge at 8ish the next morning. When you get home from work, strain it (the longer it strains the thicker it gets).
Time intensive yes, but it's cheap and delish.
New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Kombucha, Yogurt, Beer and other home experiments. Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Home brew beer Pages: 1 2 3 4

Started by Rogillio
Views: 6972 Posts: 76

2013-05-09 3:28 PM RussTKD

The Yogurt Thread Pages: 1 2

Started by Puppetmaster
Views: 2950 Posts: 42

2012-03-13 9:08 AM RushTogether

Eating Dannon Fruit On The Bottom Blueberry yogurt ....

Started by 1stTimeTri
Views: 747 Posts: 12

2009-07-08 9:06 PM 1stTimeTri

Home away from home

Started by TexTriGuy
Views: 765 Posts: 3

2009-04-18 8:34 AM 1stTimeTri

Lowes (or Home Depot) "at home" services

Started by condorman
Views: 1893 Posts: 15

2021-08-09 3:18 AM devpit
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 2, 2010
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
Discussions on balanced meals, recommended amount of protein, losing weight for an Ironman, is pizza good? and beer as a recovery drink.

date : December 4, 2007
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
A quick and easy 20 minute at home strength training workout. This is a freeweight workout, so only a few dumbbells are needed.