General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Lake Placid or Whistler Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-09-10 10:45 AM

User image

Subject: Lake Placid or Whistler
It's that time of year again! Time to decide next year's race schedule.

I need assistance in picking my IM, I've narrowed it down to either Lake Placid or Whistler.

Please help me decide!

2015-09-10 1:42 PM
in reply to: mtrunner6

User image

Pro
Wisconsin near the Twin Cities metro
Subject: RE: Lake Placid or Whistler

I've never raced Placid so I can't help you there.  I haven't raced Whistler yet but we just spent a few days up there a couple weeks ago.  Incredibly beautiful venue.  But if you don't like long, sustained climbs and/or fast, sometimes technical descents then stay away from Whistler.  I have heard also that lodging options in Whistler are more abundant and cheaper.   We found a nice condo for pretty cheap.  I'll be racing Whistler in 2016.

2015-09-10 5:48 PM

To give you background on my perspective, I have done 8 Ironmans - just did Lake Placid last year, and while I have not done Whistler, I highly, highly recommend Lake Placid over all the others I have done because:

1. It is beautiful
2. The Tour de France like atmosphere on the bike course (and Whistler like hills)
3. The lake swim is beautiful
4. The run course really is lined with spectators the whole way
5. The bike course roads are in really nice shape compared
6. Unlike a lot of other Ironmans, this town as a whole is solely focused on IMLP and you are the center of the universe that weekend - I felt like a world champion even though I was nowhere close to being the "real" champion. That's not to say you don't get a nice turnout in other cities too, and certainly volunteers step up, and some races have particularly amazing finish lines, but LP is small enough that you are the center of the universe for the entire week leading up to the race – enjoy the Olympia feel

2015-09-10 11:41 PM

User image

Champion
MA

If cost is a concern go with Whistler. IMLP hotels fill up and the raise the prices with usually 4 night minimum. Hotels that are basically old 1950's hotels charge over $200/night and are places normally we'd never stay at. Other option is a big venue that IM week doesn't make a dent in housing available so prices are reasonable and closer to the start there are more rooms or condos.

Renting a house or condo is an option but again very expensive and price is much higher IM week than other weeks.

I did LP and my family enjoyed it. But after doing other IMs my kids like others better. Town gets closed down for IM and it is challenging to get around IM day.

Are you flying or driving? Again LP is a bit challenging to get to if you fly.

Town, scenery, locals, and course are all nice in LP. I personally prefer more rolling hills instead of the long climbs in Placid.

2015-09-11 7:46 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cypress, TX

I've done Whistler twice.  I've never done Lake Placid but I grew up near there and have been there a few times.  I know dozens of people that have done it and always listen to feedback because I'm always interested in doing different races.  There have also been numerous threads on ST asking similar things.

Both are very beautiful areas.  Whistler is stunning.  The whole area looks like it should be on a postcard.  Lake Placid is a couple notches below Whistler in that regard.

Travel: Whistler is much easier to get to assuming you're flying into both venues.  Fly to Vancouver and drive the 90 minutes.  It's a spectacular drive.  There aren't any big city airport options near Lake Placid.  Burlington, VT, Albany, NY, and Syracuse, NY are the nearest airports.  Burlington's airport is very small.  Albany's is bigger, Syracuse's is a bit bigger than Albany's.  Both Burlington and Albany are about a 2.5 hour drive.  Syracuse is about 3.5 hours.

Lodging: This isn't remotely close.  Whistler is a world class resort town.  It has a zillion hotel or condo options and the prices are not what I call cheap but it's not bad.  In 2013 I stayed at the Hilton.  Had a 700sqft room with a full kitchen and it was $250/night.  in 2014 I stayed at the Pan Pacific Whistler Village Centre and had a 900sqft 2 bedroom, 2 bath, full kitchen suite and it was about $320/night.  Sort of pricey but you're getting modern 4-star resort level accommodations without price gouging.  At Lake Placid you pay $300/night for a 1960's Motel 6 that I wouldn't stay at for free, let alone $300.

Swim: I heard the swim at LP is really nice.  Whistler's swim is more than decent but I think people give the edge to LP.

Bike: East coast mountains are not the same as west coast mountains.  The Adirondacks are not the Canadian Rockies.  Placid is hilly, and very hilly in parts.  Whistler is mountainous.  That stated, the elevation gain at both is similar but it's how the gain comes is important.  

Run: I can't really say anything about the run at LP since I haven't done it.  Whistler's run is nice, very picturesque, and pretty hilly.  It was a challenging run.  

Dev Paul over at ST summed up LP vs MT vs Whistler very well: 

Here is my background with the three venues: 

IMLP 11x racing, 30x or more training 
Tremblant 8x racing, 7x training 
Whistler 2x racing, 3x holiday/training 

Lake Placid 

• Best course of the three in my view that balances difficulty/easiness/lack of drafting
  • Pavement quality is good again aside from a few sections
  • Worst price gouging for hotels
  • Hardest to get to if you fly, easy to get to if you drive from North East cities
  • IM takes over the town but there are distractions other than IM like hiking, bobled run, Whiteface mountain, fishing, hiking
  • Most hotels in walking distance to race venue
  • Perhaps the BEST finish line in triathlon. Better than Kona coming into the oval
  • LP sells out early....it is within 50M people who can drive
  • LP is the most crowded course
  • After the race in LP you can extend vacation in the Adirondacks, Lake Champlain area or Vermont within a short drive

Tremblant 

• Best race organization of the three
  • Smoothest pavement, hard riding at the end of each loop
  • You can't beat Quebec culture when it comes to events....they just know how to do events. Quebec just knows how to run a party. This is probably the best IM "party" in North America.
  • Most drafting of the three. On the highway 117 on loop 1, the Tour de France/IM Florida affect is in full view. Loop 2 is much better on drafting, but still annoying.
  • Best family venue for kids under 10
  • IM takes over the town, but there is some other stuff to do hiking and mountain biking on the mountain
  • Hotels are fair priced, accomodations are easy access to race venue. Many places with no minimum stay
  • Tremblant has no grocery store on the mountain. It does not have Starbucks, it does not have Subway, it does not have McDonalds....I know some of you won't care, but for others, easy food options
  • Tremblant does not even have a Tim Hortons on the mountain....WTF this is Canada (OK, it's Quebec, but get real....)
  • Tremblant does sell out, but a bit later than LP. It is in driving distance from around 25M so does eventually sell out so don't wait forever
  • Tremblant is moderately crowded relative to LP
  • You can vacation in Montreal or Ottawa after the race. Both great places to visit. I grew up in Montreal....can't beat partying there.

Whistler 

• hardest race course with close to zero drafting. Pavement quality is good. Scenery is beyond stunning on a sunny day.
  • Race organization is good, but with a two transition set up, more painful for families with young kids
  • Resort is like Tremblant but on Steroids+EPO+HGH. Whistler is a world class mountain resort in the same group as Vail, Chamonix, St. Anton etc....everything else is wannabee. You gotta take the Peak to Peak Gondola between Whistler and Blackcomb
  • There are a zillion things to do in Whistler outside of IM. I find I like that, and my family certainly does....hikes, rides up the mountain, tubing on the river
  • Lots of real restaurants and a real grocery store on the mountain. Every chain fast food place is there
  • You have the Sea to Sky Highway in and out of Vancouver....that alone is beyond awesome and many people fly from Japan, China and Europe, just to see some of that
  • Weather like all three resorts can range from crazy heat wave to insane cold. Whistler will never get too humid like LP and Tremblant. But Whistler can get insanely cold like we had this year. That was 3 days of freak weather in an otherwise all sunny summer
  • Whistler does not sell out generally. It is just too far from 50M who can drive over quickly. You could register until Sunday 7 days before this year's race
  • Whistler is least crowded on course
  • Vancouver itself is a reason to come over to Canada. There is a ton of stuff to do there post race.

2015-09-11 9:36 AM
in reply to: #5139798

User image

Expert
Charlotte, NC
Whistler course is spectacular, from swim to run. Don't do it if you're looking for a fast bike split but otherwise no downside to this one.

2015-09-11 10:18 AM
in reply to: #5140061

just to add a thought on the hotels. There is an incredibly nice Hampton Inn that just opened two years ago right at the start line. It is of course, rather expensive race week. $300 a night. there's also a courtyard hotel that I stayed at using my hotel points. The hotel was a newer courtyard, and kept the hot tub open long after the race so we could use it – even if you hung out at the finish line to see others finish and then headed over, you still were able to use it late. I can see how there would be nothing to entertain kids during the day if you have kids in tow, or parents of your older parents come to support.
2015-09-11 4:21 PM

User image

Master
Kailua, Hawaii
I did Whistler this year with the crazy weather.

Although I probably wouldn't have said this during the race, but I'd say it's an awesome IM.

Of the ones I've done, it's definitely the best. S/B/R courses are just great all around.

It's not the easiest for sure, but lots of rewards with the scenery, the spectators, and Whistler itself being fun.
The hills are challenging !

Easy to get to, multiple ways. Nice drive. Lots of places to stay with reasonable cost.
Lots of good quality places to eat.

2015-09-12 6:52 PM
in reply to: 0

Master
, California

Don't forget if you pick Whistler, the exchange rate for U.S. folks is pretty favorable (1 USD = 1.33 CAD as of this post).  Helps with the registration cost, too.

Edited by spudone 2015-09-12 6:52 PM
2015-09-12 11:37 PM
in reply to: spudone

User image

Master
Kailua, Hawaii
Originally posted by spudone

Don't forget if you pick Whistler, the exchange rate for U.S. folks is pretty favorable (1 USD = 1.33 CAD as of this post).  Helps with the registration cost, too.

yeah this was a great perk for this year's IMCA.

However wasn't the case for IMMT 2013, where the US dollar was weaker..but still a great venue
2015-09-13 9:45 AM
in reply to: metafizx

User image

Winner is Whistler!!! Thanks for all the advice guys!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Lake Placid or Whistler Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Ironman Lake Placid Race Report - 9:49:02

Started by BrianPBN
Views: 1284 Posts: 16

2004-08-07 2:31 AM sherrick

A Few Lake Placid Photos

Started by max
Views: 748 Posts: 5

2004-07-30 9:42 AM Tiger Phil

Lake Placid

Started by kgart
Views: 990 Posts: 19

2004-07-26 8:20 AM TriMom217

Tupperlake 1/2 and Lake Placid

Started by Maine
Views: 629 Posts: 1

2004-04-07 2:50 PM Maine

Lake Placid Ironman

Started by runnerx
Views: 1403 Posts: 10

2004-04-13 5:06 PM heatheryan
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 4, 2010
author : alex jb
comments : 0
The triathlon made a lot of sense as I could fit the training around early mornings and other times that wouldn't eat too much into my family time. Things never go completely to plan do they?

date : February 5, 2010
author : CavalloHJ
comments : 5
I found a sprint, the Lake Las Vegas Triathlon, that was happening four months down the road and signed myself up; much to the surprise of friends and family.
date : September 26, 2009
author : Coach AJ
comments : 2
New products from Prologo, Lake, Avia, Orbea, Ceepo, Jamis, Zipp, Profile, Scott and Specialized.

date : July 12, 2009
author : FitWerx
I have Bontrager Race Lite wheels. I was looking into renting Zipp 303's or 404's for race day for Ironman Lake Placid. What time will I save?
date : September 24, 2008
author : Amy Kuitse
I am running Boston in April and Ironman Lake Placid is in July. I have been told that it is ambitious to think about doing an IM so close to a marathon due to the recovery time. Any suggestions?

date : August 10, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
The first time I ventured into the deep murky green lake and could not see the bottom my muscles tensed and my imagined fears surfaced. What exactly lies beneath?
date : January 7, 2007
author : Writebrained
Both the Lake Triathlon Shoe CX210TRI and the Lake Road Shoe CX225 offer distinct advantages. I tested both shoes and found them to be extremely comfortable, good looking and durable.

date : July 30, 2006
author : mhan22
If you are calm while everyone around you is losing it, you probably don’t know what the hell is going on.