Toronto
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Cross Fit on 60 min.

Originally posted by cdban66

Originally posted by Left Brain

Originally posted by dmiller5

Originally posted by trigal38

Originally posted by skipg Don't mean to offend anyone but big cross fit women just look disgusting.

Oh. Dear. God.

Ok, for the sake of reviving COJ I'll play.

I'm not offended but disgusting is pretty harsh. Why not just praise the hard work the woman obviously put into getting that strong? I think it's amazing!

Anyone remember when people used to rip on and analyze pics of Chrissie Wellington for her body? She was an amazing athlete, that should have been the only thing talked about.

A man works out and gets stronger. A woman works out, gets stronger and has her body analyzed by men. And we wonder why young girls have trouble with body image.

There LB, is that something along the lines of what you were expecting?

fit women with muscles are super attractive.  Women on steroids are not.  The ones in the games on TV are most definitely on steroids, just like the pro football players, Ronda Rousey, etc.

So are the men, what's the point?

Look, I don't get offended by the comments like the one above, but as the father of 4 girls, I know they do.  Those twins you met in Canada are now 5'10.  One of them rides horses and is just tall and lean.  The other got hooked on water polo, after triathlon and swimming, and plays mostly coed.  She is 5'10", about 160 lbs, with big swimmer shoulders and a mean disposition in the water.  It's not a stretch to say that most boys her age don't want anything to do with her in the water.....she's a brutal defender.  But I hear her lament that she wishes she didn't have such big shoulders, or that she doesn't understand why she gets called a biatch while playing the game, or "amazon" by some of the boys in her school.  It doesn't offend her, it hurts her feelings. She'll survive, but the double standard is wrong.  A big aggressive boy is heralded as a great athlete......a big aggressive girl is an "amazon".  No.

There is no comment about the "attractiveness" of men on steroids.....but women are "disgusting".  Again, No.

So am I offended? No.  But as the ultimate protector of those girls of mine, I don't like it.  When it comes to them, I'm a pretty capable defender as well.

I'm with you on this LB.  As a father who raised two young ladies I have seen the variety of ways that they can get their feelings hurt.  I would simply encourage each of us to look at our interactions with others.  You may be surprised how simple it is to have a negative affect on someone.  I made a comparison some years back on this board and was quickly taken to task for offending.  When I reviewed what I had said, well yes, I could see where my flippant attempt at humor could be offensive to someone.  I probably fail more often not, but I TRY to keep the recipient in mind when I post something.  You never know what someone has been through, nor how they may take something.  It sometimes makes it difficult to say what I really want to say, but I am probably better off that way, at least knowing that I have thought through my statement.

BTW, it isn't just young ladies that can have their feeling hurt. 

You two gentlemen are awesome! 

2015-09-15 2:05 PM
in reply to: dmiller5

User image

Master
Centennial, CO

Originally posted by skipg Don't mean to offend anyone but big cross fit women just look disgusting.

Oh. Dear. God.

Ok, for the sake of reviving COJ I'll play.

I'm not offended but disgusting is pretty harsh. Why not just praise the hard work the woman obviously put into getting that strong? I think it's amazing!

Anyone remember when people used to rip on and analyze pics of Chrissie Wellington for her body? She was an amazing athlete, that should have been the only thing talked about.

A man works out and gets stronger. A woman works out, gets stronger and has her body analyzed by men. And we wonder why young girls have trouble with body image.

There LB, is that something along the lines of what you were expecting?

fit women with muscles are super attractive.  Women on steroids are not.  The ones in the games on TV are most definitely on steroids, just like the pro football players, Ronda Rousey, etc.

Just like the top triathletes, cyclists, runners, T&F competitors, MLB, NBA, etc..  

2015-09-15 2:25 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert

Nah, that's damn near impossible to do........I'm just getting ready to start laughing as I read this thread.

I knew I would catch some heat for posting that but for the sake of COJ I thought it was worth the backlash I'm the father of two girls as well, oldest is 14 youngest is 8 months old.

My oldest daughters reaction to the super big women of cross fit...ewww gross, they look like men. Maybe that should have been a moment where I went into a long talk and life lesson of how we shouldn't judge women on how they look.....but all I had was I agree, pretty gross so don't take steroids or you will look like a man!

Edited by skipg 2015-09-15 2:27 PM
2015-09-15 2:29 PM
in reply to: skipg

User image

Pro

Originally posted by skipg

Nah, that's damn near impossible to do........I'm just getting ready to start laughing as I read this thread.

I knew I would catch some heat for posting that but for the sake of COJ I thought it was worth the backlash I'm the father of two girls as well, oldest is 14 youngest is 8 months old. My oldest daughters reaction to the super big women of cross fit...ewww gross, they look like men. Maybe that should have been a moment where I went into a long talk and life lesson of how we shouldn't judge women on how they look.....but all I had was I agree, pretty gross so don't take steroids or you will look like a man!

Man, I'm not going to be able to help you out of this. LMAO

2015-09-15 3:02 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

I knew I would catch some heat for posting that but for the sake of COJ I thought it was worth the backlash I'm the father of two girls as well, oldest is 14 youngest is 8 months old. My oldest daughters reaction to the super big women of cross fit...ewww gross, they look like men. Maybe that should have been a moment where I went into a long talk and life lesson of how we shouldn't judge women on how they look.....but all I had was I agree, pretty gross so don't take steroids or you will look like a man!

Sorry, but I think the lesson that you can create an attractive athletic body without steroids and looking like that is a great one. 

2015-09-15 3:09 PM
in reply to: dmiller5

User image

Pro

Sorry, but I think the lesson that you can create an attractive athletic body without steroids and looking like that is a great one. 

I agree on the steroid part......but I know some really big muscled gals that I doubt are using steroids.  So.......what's "attractive"?

2015-09-15 3:12 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

I agree on the steroid part......but I know some really big muscled gals that I doubt are using steroids.  So.......what's "attractive"?

Attractive is very much to each her/his own.  But regardless of how I might think some of those steroid users have hot bods, I find them unattractive. 

2015-09-15 4:22 PM

User image

Brooklyn, New York
First of all, there can't be enough CF bashing threads to make me happy.
THAT SAID...
I have been living in gyms since I started bodybuilding at 15y.o. (25+ yrs ago) and what A LOT of cross fit is was shunned years ago as being BAD FORM, excessive weight that couldn't be controlled, and haphazard.
Cross fit would not be what it is today if it wasn't for ESPN (That dang channel, don't get me started) So, what do we have today? The young, foolish masses following what they saw on ESPN, because it looks cool! Probably more than HALF of the clowns I've seen over these years doing cross fit are all wrapped up, with this elbow issue, or that knee issue, etc. No $hi!, you're doing OLYMPIC movements ballistically to failure, constantly, under reduced recovery (i.e. fatigued) situations. And they're all UNDER 30 years old! There is no long run benefit of cross fit.

I have done some cross fit work, and coming from my background in the shape and muscular strength I had, I could handle it (at 38 years old), but it was clear that in the long run it would be more detrimental.
It's a young person's sport because the joints can't take the overload in the long haul. That speaks volumes.
Also, for anyone who isn't perfectly genetically blessed, cross fit work will not develop a balanced aesthetic body because of the nature of its' movements, lack of isolation work, & little to zero pure aerobic exercise incorporation. ESPN does not broadcast the 99% of folk that'll fall into this category, therefore, fools follow thinking they'll look like what they see on tv.
For my near 10 years as a trainer, I never had a female come to me and say, "I want to turn into a blocky square with little to no distinction from my shoulders to my waist, and hips to thighs, so I can be relatively unhappy about how all my clothes fit, especially a dress." If they had, I'd have said, "good, you find a cross fit trainer, I'll see you when you need therapy for the part of your body you eventually hurt."

Even though it's clear I can't stand CF, I still accept that there are different strokes for diff folks, and if a person wants to look boxy, ok, who am I to judge.
BUT, regarding the cult question in the 60 min. feature, THERE IS a cultish issue there, because there is an air of supremacy by MANY MANY (screw that, MOST!) cross fit people, especially in regards to how they treat a gym, its equipment and the sharing of space and equipment with others. Cross fitters really do need their own gyms because they take up tons of space, then demand more with obnoxious attitudes, damage equipment, create inordinate amounts of noise and are multiplying by the hoards. BUT, you know why there aren't as many cross fit gyms as you think you'd see? Because in many areas the insurance is HIGHER! Hmn....I Wonder why

*For now, I'm off to the gym for weights and 30 min on the spinner. To which I will probably have to beg 2 cross fit guys to share a bench they say they 12 sets each on, while the other guy video tapes him arching his back while pressing....weight that is maybe 15% heavier than mine even though I'm doing tri's now and am turning 41! Ugh

Edited by TJHammer 2015-09-15 4:26 PM
2015-09-15 4:23 PM
in reply to: trigal38

User image

Brooklyn, New York
I made it to 341 posts before I finally did one of those forum rants....I digress.....I digress
2015-09-15 5:36 PM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Don't just blame the cross-fit dudes for wasting time and taking up benches at the gym. I swear I can do fifteen sets while some people (of both genders) do two while taking selfies, chatting, checking the I-phone, flirting with the trainer, etc. The women parade half-naked in front of the guys, and the guys flex and admire their muscles in the mirror. What's funny is that sometimes I can out-lift not just those women (who don't really lift anyway), but some of the flexing dudes. (No steroids, either. If you saw me in person there would be no doubt about that!)

As for judging bodies on how they look and not what they do, yes, I think there's a gender bias there. You don't see a lot of comments, for example, about Pete Jacob's skinny legs (the only comment I recall was his own), and it was related to his bike vs. run skills. And it's pretty interesting how even on the Kona show, they talk a lot about the size of the top women (okay, we know Rinny's short!) and not the men. And as I recall, the commentator last year actually said something and then took it back, something about large, powerful glutes and then added, "Okay, I'm not saying she has a big butt..." Ahem!

Edited by Hot Runner 2015-09-15 5:38 PM
2015-09-15 6:32 PM

User image

Elite
Spokane, WA

I disagree about the similarity between triathlon and CF. Triathlon combines what I consider to be "fun" activities. There is nothing "fun" about what I've seen in CF. It does not look like "fun" to push a very heavy sled across the ground. It does not look like "fun" to lift a tractor tire over and over again. It does not look like "fun" to throw a medicine ball high up against a wall over and over again. Etc, Etc...

One of my favorite TV commercials of all time was the Subway "Crop Fit" spot. They were obviously dissing CF. I literally laughed out loud the first time I saw it. 

Pick the Pumpkin!!! Pick it!!!!!

Edited by zed707 2015-09-15 6:36 PM

(subway-cropfit-ss-03.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
subway-cropfit-ss-03.jpg (91KB - 11 downloads)

2015-09-16 4:54 PM
in reply to: zed707

User image

Sensei
Sin City

Ya'll make me laugh.  If people spent HALF the energy complimenting something they do bashing something I wonder how things would be.  You rarely get people speaking out and giving speeches about how great something is, but man, people come out of the woodwork with an opinion when they don't like something.  The way of social media I suppose.  If you like something, you press the "like" button.  If you don't?  Ya get a dissertation.  .

Maybe I'm the only "smart" person who does crossfit then?  I keep getting tips on my technique.  I don't train when I'm over trained.  IF I should get injured, I repair and rest.  I lift under control.  I respect others around me, keep to myself, respect the equipment...  I know my body, and train accordingly, recover accordingly, no matter WHAT I'm doing.

I have seen TONS of triathletes do too much, too fast.  ITB, plantar injuries, increasing millage too fast, swim with poor form and screw up their shoulders.  Watch ironman then think with a month of training they can do one since they currently run a little on the weekends.  I don't think Crossfit corners the market on training stupidly.

I think with everything, there are a-holes that do it, and smart/respectful people that do it.  It is also a program for youth and with youth comes attitude.  HOWEVER, I'm shocked at my gym, women outnumber men and the average age is easily in the 30's.  It's not a bunch of young punks.  It's middle aged people doing their thing and very sweet and nice and considerate to each other.  But feel free to judge a whole group of people on the a-holes.

2015-09-16 4:55 PM

User image

Sensei
Sin City

Originally posted by zed707

I disagree about the similarity between triathlon and CF. Triathlon combines what I consider to be "fun" activities. There is nothing "fun" about what I've seen in CF. It does not look like "fun" to push a very heavy sled across the ground. It does not look like "fun" to lift a tractor tire over and over again. It does not look like "fun" to throw a medicine ball high up against a wall over and over again. Etc, Etc...

One of my favorite TV commercials of all time was the Subway "Crop Fit" spot. They were obviously dissing CF. I literally laughed out loud the first time I saw it. 

Pick the Pumpkin!!! Pick it!!!!!

I'll have to google that.  It looks funny.  Anything that makes fun of crossfit, or triathlon, I love.  It's funny to poke fun at oneself.  I never take what I do for fun too seriously.

Edited by Kido 2015-09-16 4:56 PM
2015-09-16 5:03 PM
in reply to: Stacers

User image

Sensei
Sin City

Originally posted by Stacers

All right, I'll play...

"I think skinny triathlete men just look disgusting."

Wait, no I don't - I don't actually give a crud what they look like. When discussions come up about why people would want to do triathlons or crossfit or go fishing or whatever, the LAST thing that comes to mind for me is how said activity makes that person look. I'm impressed by what an athlete can DO with their body, not what it looks like. And I suspect most of those women doing crossfit aren't doing it so that a man will like the way they look, are they? They are doing it to feel strong, to compete, to challenge themselves. 

Luckily, it's different strokes for different folks, and there are guys out there who love muscles on a woman, while you might hate them.

Just sucks to be the teenage girl looking at society's beauty standards, and feeling like she is less than when in actuality she is awesome and strong (LB's daughter). Why does the way a woman looks have to be brought into the conversation over and over again? 

That's what I was thinking as well.  Funny how a thread talking about a 60 minutes interview about a sport got derailed about how disgusting the women doing it look.  Wait, what?  It was about looks?

Or how people will go on how brutish Serena Williams LOOKS despite the fact she is arguably the best women's tennis player to ever play the sport.  Or on the contrary, gush about how hot a tennis player is despite the fact she's not that good.

I don't hear the chatter about how men look.  It's how they play the game.  But talk about a women's sport, or women doing sport, and it almost always turns to "is she hot or not".  Google "the hottest women in..." whatever the sport.  Crossfit, tri, running, tennis, soccer, golf.  There is a list for it.  Don't see many list for the hottest dudes.

Trust me, I can appreciate an attractive female at any moment of the day.   But I sure can see how it could be frustrating AS a women, to have the conversation eventually get to looks, no matter what. 

Such is life I suppose?

2015-09-16 5:27 PM
in reply to: Kido

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Really/ No list for the hottest dudes in tri?? Maybe I should publish one! Maybe men do talk about women's bodies more, but women do notice (and discuss) men's bodies. Maybe just less likely to do in in the media? (Most of the Kona show commentators, even for the Aussie show, are guys, so that may have something to do with it.)

But there are definitely some good lookers out there, pro and age-groupers! It's good I wasn't doing the Kona show two years ago when (I think) Pete Jacobs, Andreas Raelert, and Sebastien Kienle topped the podium. From a long-time female runner's perspective, the "scenery's" better in tri, at least to my taste, than marathoning.
2015-09-17 5:49 AM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Expert
I apologize for derailing the thread and making the comment, I realize it was inappropriate.

2015-09-17 6:22 AM

User image

Bronze member

Originally posted by skipg I apologize for derailing the thread and making the comment, I realize it was inappropriate.

I don't think you should apologize at all.  Like I said, personally I was not offended by your comment but I'm not a muscled up CF lady. It is a reality of our society that woman are viewed this way and it is always a good discussion. It made me pause and think about the comments my son made while seeing the CF woman lifting and plan for what to talk about next time.  

2015-09-17 7:41 AM

User image

Expert

Originally posted by skipg I apologize for derailing the thread and making the comment, I realize it was inappropriate.

I don't think you should apologize at all.  Like I said, personally I was not offended by your comment but I'm not a muscled up CF lady. It is a reality of our society that woman are viewed this way and it is always a good discussion. It made me pause and think about the comments my son made while seeing the CF woman lifting and plan for what to talk about next time.  

yeah, I was thinking about it over the last couple of days and it was one of those moments where I posted before I thought about it.

Just curious how old your son is and what his comments were?
2015-09-17 7:57 AM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

I think the conversation has been benficial, at least it has for me.  

It's funny though, I have been in on 2 or 3 threads lately where the conversation went 180* away from the original post.  While that was obviously not the OP's intent, I do think the convo's have been positive.

2015-09-17 8:47 AM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Master
Falls Church, Virginia
Originally posted by cdban66
I think the conversation has been benficial, at least it has for me.  

It's funny though, I have been in on 2 or 3 threads lately where the conversation went 180* away from the original post.  While that was obviously not the OP's intent, I do think the convo's have been positive.

In my mind, a meandering thread that has good discussion is what has always made COJ good.

2015-09-17 1:04 PM

User image

Bronze member

yeah, I was thinking about it over the last couple of days and it was one of those moments where I posted before I thought about it. Just curious how old your son is and what his comments were?

He is 9. He saw part of the show where the women were lifting. He said "Wow! Is that a man or a woman? She could definitely beat me wrestling. You're not going to do that are you Mom?"

My naïve Mom thoughts at the time were just that he doesn't like his Mom to beat him at anything (he beat me at a 5k this summer and has a big head). But maybe there was more to it than that.

2015-09-17 2:23 PM

User image

Master
Crab Cake City
Ok I will bite on this one.......

Been doing triathlon since 2010 at age of 25. Prior to that, did not much in the way of keeping in shape. 5 years later, I am down 70lbs and have completed all distances including a full Ironman. I absolutely LOVE triathlon. I loved swimming with my masters team, biking and running with my tri club and showing up to a race to test myself against other people. I got hurt several times from over use injuries and other things here and there. I was able to lower my 5K pace almost by 5 minutes during all my training. I looked good and I was in the best shape of my life...So I thought.

After IM last year, I started to notice something. I was skinny fat. I looked skinny but I had no muscle tone, none whatsoever. I realized doing an Ironman was cool, running a sub 8min/mile 5K was cool and going for long bike rides were cool. I also learned that I could not do a pull up, I could not do 25 push ups and I could barely lift or move very heavy objects. This lesson really hit home when I got into a physical altercation at work and realized how I did not have any strenghth. I could easily chase someone for miles but did I have what it takes to subdue them when I finally caught up to them???

I think like anything in life, at certain times your priorities change. For me, this was a lesson I learned that I need to be in better overall shape, not just great at endurance events. I continued to do endurance racing (mainly running) from 9/14-3/15 when I did my last half marathon. I got another knee injury that completely sidelined my running and I moved so I had no access to a pool to swim. Realizing I wanted to get stronger, I signed up for a globo gym and started lifting weights but never really got into it. Just felt really boring doing 3 sets of 10 reps for an hour or so. I was looking for something different to get me back into shape and my wife suggested I join her Crossfit gym.

Now, I have been a Crossfit skeptic for a long time, I mean triathlon was always the best way to train and I had a bunch of success with it. My wife has been doing CF for 2 years and she is in fantastic shape. Contrary to what some on this thread have said about women, my wife is not a big block, she is not on steroids and she looks muscular and lean but in a strong and sexy way. My wife can lift more then her body weight, do tons of pull ups, run pretty fast, and kick my in tons of workouts (I am still a faster runner though So when we recently moved we joined the local Crossfit gym where we have some friends who work out there.

Being that I was still a skeptic, I contacted the owner of the gym before starting. Instantly, we clicked. She is a 3x Ironman finisher and has run 7 plus Marathons and other endurance events so we come from similar backgrounds. All new people go through a 12 class foundations session at our gym to teach proper technique and form. We always warm up, do skill work and learn before starting each workout and then we stretch afterwards. Our gym has several PT's who offer mobility classes during the week and weekend after workouts. Our coaches wear shirts that say "Form above all else" and will make you use less weight/no weight until you get technique right. Additionally, all of the workouts are scalable to your ability level so you do not get injured by trying to do something you cannot yet do. Our gym has an endurance club and our owner puts out workouts and spreadsheets on how to mix endurance racing and Crossfit. We have large groups of people who are into endurance racing at our gym and people reguarly meet at a community pool to swim before work or on weekends and lots of us ride our bikes to and from the gym. I do not think it is fair to say all Crossfit gyms are stupid and teach bad form and dumb exercises. I think there are some gyms that are better then others but mine takes all of those things into consideration when programming workouts, teaching and keeping everyone safe. This is no different then someone claiming to be a great multisport coach but does nothing more then give you a generic race training plan. There are good and bad in both sports, you need to do your due diligence in looking into that.

I have been doing Crossfit since July and I feel stronger then ever before. Working on core strength, legs, glutes, etc has helped strengthen my knee and I have not had anymore knee pain since I started doing CF. I am slowly building my mileage back up and am currently at 5 miles (still scared of running my way into another injury). I love going into the gym and not having to worry about thinking of a workout because its already been done for me. I love that I can get a quality workout in less then 45 minutes and I don't need to ride a trainer for 3 hours. I love competing against myself in the gym just like I did/do at triathlon and running races. I love the community atmosphere it provides, just like my triathlon club. I love being able to learn from more experienced athletes, just like in my triathlon club. Mostly, I love being stronger and being able to do more then I have ever been able to do before. I do feel that while not directly related, my CF workouts will help in my triathlon trainign and racing when I get back into it. I have been burnt out from triathlon since IM last year so this is a great outlet for me to do something different. There are days where we do workouts that only last 10 minutes but I am out of breath and sweating more then going out for an hour run or 3 hour bike. I think that my endurance backround has helped when it comes to pacing some of the longer CF workouts that we do.

There are a lot of parralells that can be drawn between the two. I am not saying one is better then the other but I am saying that it has its benefits. I was once a skeptic but now I am not. I am proud to be a triathlete and I am proud to be a Crossfitter. There is no rule saying you can't be both. I think it's important to not knock anyone or any training methodology unless you try it first.

As for some of the steroid comments/Paleo comments- Lets not jump to conclusions about elite athletes. They are tested at the games and regional competitions just like other world class athletes. Maybe some people cheat to get by on the professional level but that is no different then any other sport. Also, not everyone abides by that Paleo diet thing. Most at my gym don't and I certainly do not. I love me some carbs and always will. Again, its an individual thing but not representative of all in the community.

Now that I am done writing my longest post in 5 years, please carry on with this discussion, go to a CF gym, do a workout and drink some of the kool-aid
2015-09-17 3:08 PM

User image

Champion
Philly 'burbs
2015-09-17 6:07 PM
in reply to: Kido

User image

Brooklyn, New York
Originally posted by Kido

Ya'll make me laugh.  If people spent HALF the energy complimenting something they do bashing something I wonder how things would be.  You rarely get people speaking out and giving speeches about how great something is, but man, people come out of the woodwork with an opinion when they don't like something.  The way of social media I suppose.  If you like something, you press the "like" button.  If you don't?  Ya get a dissertation.  .

Maybe I'm the only "smart" person who does crossfit then?  I keep getting tips on my technique.  I don't train when I'm over trained.  IF I should get injured, I repair and rest.  I lift under control.  I respect others around me, keep to myself, respect the equipment...  I know my body, and train accordingly, recover accordingly, no matter WHAT I'm doing.

I have seen TONS of triathletes do too much, too fast.  ITB, plantar injuries, increasing millage too fast, swim with poor form and screw up their shoulders.  Watch ironman then think with a month of training they can do one since they currently run a little on the weekends.  I don't think Crossfit corners the market on training stupidly.

I think with everything, there are a-holes that do it, and smart/respectful people that do it.  It is also a program for youth and with youth comes attitude.  HOWEVER, I'm shocked at my gym, women outnumber men and the average age is easily in the 30's.  It's not a bunch of young punks.  It's middle aged people doing their thing and very sweet and nice and considerate to each other.  But feel free to judge a whole group of people on the a-holes.

You're probably right, seems like there are 2 categories of cross fitters (remember I am in New York, ....more tools here than all Home Depots combined). I have done cross fit work, few buddies of mine compete and succeed in cross fit. Thing is, my friends and the way you describe yourself, technique and training insight are the general minority of cross fitters here. There is agreement though on it being a younger persons sport, because of the ballistic compound Olympic movements and in MOST cases, done under high levels of stress and fatigue with heavy weight....or weight, than in and of itself is now considered heavy due to the increased stress overload. In that, I question and wonder about cross fits' longevity. That said, a douche is a douche is a douche, I unfortunately was right beside many of em in bodybuilding as well, so I give ya that.
2015-09-17 6:10 PM
in reply to: dmbfan4life20

User image

Brooklyn, New York
Originally posted by dmbfan4life20

Ok I will bite on this one.......

Been doing triathlon since 2010 at age of 25. Prior to that, did not much in the way of keeping in shape. 5 years later, I am down 70lbs and have completed all distances including a full Ironman. I absolutely LOVE triathlon. I loved swimming with my masters team, biking and running with my tri club and showing up to a race to test myself against other people. I got hurt several times from over use injuries and other things here and there. I was able to lower my 5K pace almost by 5 minutes during all my training. I looked good and I was in the best shape of my life...So I thought.

After IM last year, I started to notice something. I was skinny fat. I looked skinny but I had no muscle tone, none whatsoever. I realized doing an Ironman was cool, running a sub 8min/mile 5K was cool and going for long bike rides were cool. I also learned that I could not do a pull up, I could not do 25 push ups and I could barely lift or move very heavy objects. This lesson really hit home when I got into a physical altercation at work and realized how I did not have any strenghth. I could easily chase someone for miles but did I have what it takes to subdue them when I finally caught up to them???

I think like anything in life, at certain times your priorities change. For me, this was a lesson I learned that I need to be in better overall shape, not just great at endurance events. I continued to do endurance racing (mainly running) from 9/14-3/15 when I did my last half marathon. I got another knee injury that completely sidelined my running and I moved so I had no access to a pool to swim. Realizing I wanted to get stronger, I signed up for a globo gym and started lifting weights but never really got into it. Just felt really boring doing 3 sets of 10 reps for an hour or so. I was looking for something different to get me back into shape and my wife suggested I join her Crossfit gym.

Now, I have been a Crossfit skeptic for a long time, I mean triathlon was always the best way to train and I had a bunch of success with it. My wife has been doing CF for 2 years and she is in fantastic shape. Contrary to what some on this thread have said about women, my wife is not a big block, she is not on steroids and she looks muscular and lean but in a strong and sexy way. My wife can lift more then her body weight, do tons of pull ups, run pretty fast, and kick my in tons of workouts (I am still a faster runner though So when we recently moved we joined the local Crossfit gym where we have some friends who work out there.

Being that I was still a skeptic, I contacted the owner of the gym before starting. Instantly, we clicked. She is a 3x Ironman finisher and has run 7 plus Marathons and other endurance events so we come from similar backgrounds. All new people go through a 12 class foundations session at our gym to teach proper technique and form. We always warm up, do skill work and learn before starting each workout and then we stretch afterwards. Our gym has several PT's who offer mobility classes during the week and weekend after workouts. Our coaches wear shirts that say "Form above all else" and will make you use less weight/no weight until you get technique right. Additionally, all of the workouts are scalable to your ability level so you do not get injured by trying to do something you cannot yet do. Our gym has an endurance club and our owner puts out workouts and spreadsheets on how to mix endurance racing and Crossfit. We have large groups of people who are into endurance racing at our gym and people reguarly meet at a community pool to swim before work or on weekends and lots of us ride our bikes to and from the gym. I do not think it is fair to say all Crossfit gyms are stupid and teach bad form and dumb exercises. I think there are some gyms that are better then others but mine takes all of those things into consideration when programming workouts, teaching and keeping everyone safe. This is no different then someone claiming to be a great multisport coach but does nothing more then give you a generic race training plan. There are good and bad in both sports, you need to do your due diligence in looking into that.

I have been doing Crossfit since July and I feel stronger then ever before. Working on core strength, legs, glutes, etc has helped strengthen my knee and I have not had anymore knee pain since I started doing CF. I am slowly building my mileage back up and am currently at 5 miles (still scared of running my way into another injury). I love going into the gym and not having to worry about thinking of a workout because its already been done for me. I love that I can get a quality workout in less then 45 minutes and I don't need to ride a trainer for 3 hours. I love competing against myself in the gym just like I did/do at triathlon and running races. I love the community atmosphere it provides, just like my triathlon club. I love being able to learn from more experienced athletes, just like in my triathlon club. Mostly, I love being stronger and being able to do more then I have ever been able to do before. I do feel that while not directly related, my CF workouts will help in my triathlon trainign and racing when I get back into it. I have been burnt out from triathlon since IM last year so this is a great outlet for me to do something different. There are days where we do workouts that only last 10 minutes but I am out of breath and sweating more then going out for an hour run or 3 hour bike. I think that my endurance backround has helped when it comes to pacing some of the longer CF workouts that we do.

There are a lot of parralells that can be drawn between the two. I am not saying one is better then the other but I am saying that it has its benefits. I was once a skeptic but now I am not. I am proud to be a triathlete and I am proud to be a Crossfitter. There is no rule saying you can't be both. I think it's important to not knock anyone or any training methodology unless you try it first.

As for some of the steroid comments/Paleo comments- Lets not jump to conclusions about elite athletes. They are tested at the games and regional competitions just like other world class athletes. Maybe some people cheat to get by on the professional level but that is no different then any other sport. Also, not everyone abides by that Paleo diet thing. Most at my gym don't and I certainly do not. I love me some carbs and always will. Again, its an individual thing but not representative of all in the community.

Now that I am done writing my longest post in 5 years, please carry on with this discussion, go to a CF gym, do a workout and drink some of the kool-aid

A woman's genetics play a HUGE role in how she will look when it comes to true hardcore cross fit work. If she, or any other female is a pure genetic ectomorph, there's really no way she'll turn square blockish unless she's juiced up. That said, a female endomorph who goes into hardcore cross fit will have her hips, thighs, glutes and calves blow up at a freakish rate. Genetics rule.....thennnnnnnn its training
New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Cross Fit on 60 min. Rss Feed  

of 3

RELATED POSTS

60 minutes--restaurant calories Pages: 1 2

Started by GulfCoastSwimmer
Views: 2087 Posts: 50

2007-11-21 9:37 AM chirunner134

60 year old & cameltoe

Started by ADollar79
Views: 2473 Posts: 11

2007-08-21 7:54 AM Tri-Pirate

I am walking 60 miles for breast cancer research

Started by piperfl
Views: 556 Posts: 7

2007-05-30 3:28 PM Blue Moc

Calling all Studio 60 fans

Started by dodgersmom
Views: 523 Posts: 8

2007-05-25 9:30 AM KenyonTri

Studio 60!!

Started by sboro33
Views: 717 Posts: 17

2007-03-09 3:34 PM SenjaO
RELATED ARTICLES
date : May 11, 2009
author : FitWerx
comments : 0
Motion capture technology with 2D and 3D analysis offers some powerful benefits compared to just a standard bike fit.

date : April 14, 2008
author : FitWerx
comments : 1
The bike fitters at Fit Werx talk about all the components of a triathlon bike fit and how it relates to aerodynamics and the individual.
date : October 31, 2004
author : ewkfit
comments : 1
I may not have pre-pubescent hips or breasts and at 36 that would be ridiculous. I do not need to have an "airbrushed body" and why do I revere that?