General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Female question - tri with period Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-09-14 2:59 PM

User image

Denver, Colorado
Subject: Female question - tri with period
Ladies,
how do you deal when you have a race on one of THOSE days of the month?
Mary

Edited by marysia83 2015-09-14 2:59 PM

2015-09-14 5:15 PM
in reply to: marysia83

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Female question - tri with period

I'll chime in. To be honest, it's no different than I would "deal" with it on any other given day. Take care of things as needed. Did you have a specific concern? The question was pretty vague...

2015-09-14 5:18 PM
in reply to: lisac957

User image

Seattle

Originally posted by lisac957

I'll chime in. To be honest, it's no different than I would "deal" with it on any other given day. Take care of things as needed. Did you have a specific concern? The question was pretty vague...

Yeah, I would agree with the above.

I would also add that the diva cup has changed my life in terms of comfort and how long you can go. Which would probably cover most of your concerns I would imagine. 

2015-09-14 7:28 PM
in reply to: #5140723

, Ontario
For anything less than a half, you should be able to wait until after to change. The risk of leaving a tampon in for too long isn't for more hours than most people would complete less than a half. Any leakage would go into the chamois which should prevent anything from being obvious. I've not had a problem and I have heavy periods. Based on what I've read I have tried to avoid taking ibuprofen or other pms meds as that can interfere with how your muscles cope with race and recovery or you noticing injury which is a bit bothersome but never a huge problem as I'm usually distracted by race packing and getting organized. I've never noticed cramps during the race, perhaps because of the endorphins or whatever fro, the exercise and effort
2015-09-14 7:41 PM
in reply to: #5140806

User image

Denver, Colorado
Thanks!
I gues my question was pretty general, because I was not sure what I was looking for, really. I am not that experiences with triathlons. And every time it gets closer the the race (this will be my third one) I am about to have a period and I am panicking.
I run 5k with tampon and it was fine. I guess if I need to I will go to p-potty during transition.
I think this is what I worry the most - changing it at every transition.
Mary
2015-09-15 11:32 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master

Originally posted by Asalzwed

I would also add that the diva cup has changed my life in terms of comfort and how long you can go. Which would probably cover most of your concerns I would imagine. 

Another reason for y'all to thank a Canadian!    I agree, the diva cup totally changed my life.  I forget I have my period.  It's a beautiful thing.

Edited by IronOx 2015-09-15 11:33 AM

2015-09-15 11:36 AM
in reply to: CarolynS

User image

Seattle

Originally posted by CarolynS For anything less than a half, you should be able to wait until after to change. The risk of leaving a tampon in for too long isn't for more hours than most people would complete less than a half. Any leakage would go into the chamois which should prevent anything from being obvious. I've not had a problem and I have heavy periods. Based on what I've read I have tried to avoid taking ibuprofen or other pms meds as that can interfere with how your muscles cope with race and recovery or you noticing injury which is a bit bothersome but never a huge problem as I'm usually distracted by race packing and getting organized. I've never noticed cramps during the race, perhaps because of the endorphins or whatever fro, the exercise and effort
That is the other wonderful thing about the diva cup is that there is a much longer time before you ever reach the risk of TSS like you would a tampon.

2015-09-15 11:37 AM
in reply to: IronOx

User image

Seattle

Originally posted by IronOx

Another reason for y'all to thank a Canadian!    I agree, the diva cup totally changed my life.  I forget I have my period.  It's a beautiful thing.

Man, poutine, hockey, and diva cups? Will you guys let me in? 

2015-09-15 12:12 PM

Lunette cup! Lifesaver. You can wear it for 12+ hours depending upon your flow.
2015-09-15 1:55 PM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Master

Originally posted by IronOx

Man, poutine, hockey, and diva cups? Will you guys let me in? 

Ah, Salty, I'm pretty sure I made you an Honorary Canadian a couple years ago.  You like good beer, you are in!

2015-09-15 2:30 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
I didn't read any of the thread. I have very little experience in this field :-)

But recently I was listening to a lady named Dr Stacy Sims and her work on hydration. She often spoke about hydration and nutrition in your "high hormone" period. I found it really interesting especially for the ladies doing long course

Google her name and you will find lots of really interesting stuff, mostly related to long distance. She is one smart cookie!!

http://cyclingtips.com.au/2015/08/women-are-not-small-men/
http://home.trainingpeaks.com/blog/article/understanding-your-cycle...

2015-09-16 3:00 AM
in reply to: marcag

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Diva cup convert here too! Ran my first tri (sprint) with anemia due to excessive bleeding in that aera. Although the lack of red blood cells had an impact on my time, the actual bleeding was not a problem!
2015-09-16 7:42 AM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Interesting--some (the nutrition part, and what I crave when) jives with what I've noticed from my body over 36 years of endurance sports, but some actually doesn't. Many of my best workouts/races are in fact in the last few days before my cycle starts, often even the day before. I may be an emotional, chocolate-craving mess otherwise, but I'm an animal on the road/in the pool then. It's almost like a PED, or turning back the clock 20 years. The next day, not so much. It has to be something hormonal or at least a result of that. Wondering if it has to do with blood volume--people living/training in the tropics typically have unusually high volume as an adaptation for cooling and can be functionally anemic (blood too dilute). If it blood volume goes down then, maybe it just puts me back to where I'd be with hemoglobin in a temperate climate, albeit at the expense of heat tolerance/ getting more easily dehydrated. I can't remember having this effect before moving to the tropics, so kind of wonder about it. Or maybe I just forgot--didn't train very seriously or consistently in the decade before moving here.

To be honest, other than that, research or no research, I really haven't noticed much of any correlation between stage of cycle and race performance. I train and race in pretty brutally hot conditions most of the time but haven't really noticed a strong correlation with heat tolerance, at least when racing. Maybe will have to track that and see if I struggle more with heat in training at certain times of the month. Certainly it isn't consistent run to run but I usually attribute issues to weather conditions or the nature of the workout that day.
2015-09-16 8:46 AM
in reply to: Hot Runner

, Tennessee
I am glad to hear that it is not only doable but that it might not even effect performance negatively. I am new to this and was wondering what will happen when a race inevitably falls at that time. Have any of you dealt with excessive cramps though? Some months it doesn't bother me at all, but others I am doubled over in pain. Someone mentioned avoiding ibuprofen which I understand is best but how would you deal with them? I would hate to have a race ruined by something like that.
2015-09-16 9:55 AM

User image

Denver, Colorado
Thank you all for your feedback.
I think I would be able to go with pain (as an additional motivator to finish quicker ) My only concerns are - one is silly - that it would add the time to my transition time, if I have to change, and two - that something eventually get out and it would be embarrassing. I have not tried diva cups, but I see more and more athletes talking about it and I am definitely giving it a try
Mary
2015-09-16 9:56 AM

User image

Denver, Colorado
Originally posted by marcag

I didn't read any of the thread. I have very little experience in this field :-)

But recently I was listening to a lady named Dr Stacy Sims and her work on hydration. She often spoke about hydration and nutrition in your "high hormone" period. I found it really interesting especially for the ladies doing long course

Google her name and you will find lots of really interesting stuff, mostly related to long distance. She is one smart cookie!!

http://cyclingtips.com.au/2015/08/women-are-not-small-men/
http://home.trainingpeaks.com/blog/article/understanding-your-cycle...

Thanks! This is great to know - I will definitely read through those.
Mary

2015-09-16 10:02 AM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by marysia83 Thank you all for your feedback. I think I would be able to go with pain (as an additional motivator to finish quicker ) My only concerns are - one is silly - that it would add the time to my transition time, if I have to change, and two - that something eventually get out and it would be embarrassing. I have not tried diva cups, but I see more and more athletes talking about it and I am definitely giving it a try Mary

As with everything else, nothing new on race day. It takes some getting used to. I kinda go off and on using one (currently off) because sometimes I have trouble getting it to set right and still end up with leakage. This is not to discourage you from trying it, just saying practice it before race day.

2015-09-16 11:28 AM

User image

Seattle

Originally posted by marcag I didn't read any of the thread. I have very little experience in this field :-) But recently I was listening to a lady named Dr Stacy Sims and her work on hydration. She often spoke about hydration and nutrition in your "high hormone" period. I found it really interesting especially for the ladies doing long course Google her name and you will find lots of really interesting stuff, mostly related to long distance. She is one smart cookie!! http://cyclingtips.com.au/2015/08/women-are-not-small-men/http://home.trainingpeaks.com/blog/article/understanding-your-cycle-and-performance

Thank you for posting this. It's really pretty fascinating!

I have tried to monitor my cycles but have failed to see any kind of consistent patterns. It seems that every study I have read has produced different results as well as data collected from event winners which has been all over the board in terms of what phase of their cycle they were in.

I have decided that like everything, it's quite personal and there are a lot of variables. I guess I just try and take everything in stride and it is what it is. Especially because I'm not going to plan events around it.

2015-09-16 3:11 PM

User image

Denver, Colorado
I actually decided to monitor my cycles - the temperature and all the changes. I used to do that as family planning tool and I liked it. I would love to see how the hormonal changes affect my training. And vice-versa.
Of course, it will take at least 12 cycles to have any conclusions, but sounds like some interesting observations I could have
Mary
2015-09-16 7:31 PM

User image

I don't think the Diva Cup would have worked for me. I always had very heavy periods and would definitely need to stop in a race longer than 2 hours. But it eventually got to the point where I was bleeding non-stop for weeks (peri-menopause, likely) and I started using the Mirena IUD. It's been a life-saver for me.
2015-09-16 7:44 PM
in reply to: jennifer_runs

User image

I have been end of cycle for both of my IMs (how lucky, right?)- Not to be too graphic but I put in a tampon before I put on my wetsuit, I had one in my special needs bike bag (didn't use), one in my run special needs bag (used at my 13ish of the marathon). Honestly, with everything else going on in my body that day I didn't feel any adverse effects, no excessive cramping, no back pain, nothing really.

2015-09-16 9:23 PM
in reply to: jennifer_runs

User image

Denver, Colorado
Originally posted by jennifer_runs

I don't think the Diva Cup would have worked for me. I always had very heavy periods and would definitely need to stop in a race longer than 2 hours. But it eventually got to the point where I was bleeding non-stop for weeks (peri-menopause, likely) and I started using the Mirena IUD. It's been a life-saver for me.

I had Mirena for 3 months. I loved not having periods, but I started having panic attacks - out of nowhere. I had over ten attacks a day, I was unable to drive a car. I had it removed :/
I'm glad it works for you!
Mary
2015-09-16 9:24 PM
in reply to: mtrunner6

User image

Denver, Colorado
Originally posted by mtrunner6

I have been end of cycle for both of my IMs (how lucky, right?)- Not to be too graphic but I put in a tampon before I put on my wetsuit, I had one in my special needs bike bag (didn't use), one in my run special needs bag (used at my 13ish of the marathon). Honestly, with everything else going on in my body that day I didn't feel any adverse effects, no excessive cramping, no back pain, nothing really.

Wow! Thanks for sharing your experience. My race is sprint, so no comparison to yours. I am planning to have an extra tampon in my belt for running - if that's the case.
Mary
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Female question - tri with period Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Question for the females (for my wife)

Started by moTRIvated
Views: 1115 Posts: 8

2007-06-17 7:04 PM TriAya

Female question about seats

Started by twolives1
Views: 1100 Posts: 16

2007-06-05 8:18 PM KathyG

Female Question -- Interrupted Cycles/Amenorrhea & Lack of Moodiness

Started by VikingMom
Views: 1471 Posts: 16

2007-05-29 2:23 PM CindyK

Female Question & Tip

Started by VikingMom
Views: 910 Posts: 11

2005-12-13 2:23 PM Comet

Question for the female runner Pages: 1 2

Started by jkbostic
Views: 2076 Posts: 42

2004-10-12 10:01 AM Leona
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 16, 2008
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
What are all these new funny-shaped saddles all about? Are they more comfortable than older designs? Will they keep me healthier so I can train on my bike longer? Should I change my saddle?

date : December 19, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 2
My problem is I can only swim about 30-40 meters without having to rest. What is the best way to improve this? I need to get from 40 to 750 meters in 6 months.
date : October 11, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
I have 10 lessons with a coach and he keeps telling my I'm holding my breath. I cannot figure out where since I'm breathing out and in every 3rd stroke. Any drill recommendations?

date : October 9, 2007
author : She-Ra
comments : 12
I never imagined that 350 yards broken down into 7 REALLY long lanes would be so big! I gasped out loud and told Grady that maybe I had underestimated the swim.
date : January 7, 2007
author : KevinKonczak
Discussions on swimming, observing, asking questions, flip-turns, flexible ankles, rotation, Stretch Cordz, skiing substitution and resting.

date : June 4, 2006
author : mikericci
comments : 1
Information compiled on various plans from the most common user questions.
date : January 30, 2006
author : amandacmuller
In all of my tri-clothing research, I could never find a trisuit that would offer support where I needed it. I found that my choices were limited.

date : September 3, 2005
author : Michael Silva
Without paying a personal trainer or a PT on a regular basis, is there a regimen of exercises I can do to strengthen all around?