General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » My journey towards a half ironman Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-09-14 3:17 PM

User image

Subject: My journey towards a half ironman
Hey My name's Ben, I'm 40 years old living in Dorset, England. Married, two kids, I work in sales and have had an on/off relationship with sport all my life!

About three years ago, on the sofa with the missus and well into our second glass of wine she peered at my iPad and snorted "ha! you cant do a triathlon". Charming, eh?!! Anyway, I signed up - I'd been playing five-a-side footy for the last 8 or so years every Monday night and thought "Yes, I can"! I had two weeks to train before my first sprint Tri...

I completed it. I liked it. I overloaded on fluids and needed to go to the loo at T2 but I thought I can work on this. I decided to complete a three year experiment to see what I could learn. It also gave me a reason to stop my occasional smoking habit.

So, last week after three years of competing) I completed a 35k bike ride and decided to do a half IronMan next year. I'm blogging to share my training experience and experiments, and to have a record I can look back on that is slightly more interesting than my Garmin logs! Who knows, but hopefully I'll also write something that might be useful to other normal blokes trying to keep fit?

Anyway, come over and check it out anytime and comment, link, follow or whatever
http://www.triathlondaddy.com

Thanks!

Edited by Triathlon_daddy 2015-09-14 3:17 PM

2015-09-18 7:38 AM
in reply to: Triathlon_daddy

Sarasota, Florida
Subject: RE: My journey towards a half ironman
Thanks for sharing. I have a similar story. I always intended to do a triathlon one day but just kept putting it off, then my wife started asking why my legs were suddenly bothering me, and why my workouts were going late, and I told her I was doing the exercise bike after my runs and throwing some swims in, then made the comment "I think I'm going to sign up for a triathlon". Her response was "you're too old! You'll drown or get hurt!"

Of course, this was only a challenge to motivate me more than ever!

I also am an occasional smoker. I used to enjoy a weekly cigar as an escape, to just give myself 2 hours to relax and allow my mind to drift off, or read some fiction since I never made the time before.

I noticed since I started training, time is more precious, and my exercise has become my temporary escape and naturally I'm smoking much less now which also means I'm no longer reading my fiction any more.

Thanks for taking time to share your experiences and blog.

2015-09-20 4:04 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2015-09-24 3:02 AM
in reply to: helveeta

Wow, awesome post and best of luck with the Sprint and Oly!! Keep me posted

I think part of the reason triathlon is getting so popular is you never stop learning and there are so many variables. It's a shame you DNF on your first 70.3 but I remember an Oly where I misjudged the T2 line where you need to get off your bike - slammed on the anchors, went straight over the bars and dislocated my finger! (https://triathlondaddyblog.wordpress.com/2015/09/12/situation-health-fitness/)

You just keep racing, training, learning and getting better, fitter and faster...love it!

2015-09-24 3:04 AM
in reply to: runtim23

Good for you man!

"You're too old"!? I think the world record age grouper Daphne Belt started training at 50!!!
2015-09-26 8:47 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » My journey towards a half ironman Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Hello, Runner turning towards Tri training.

Started by fenderperry
Views: 749 Posts: 3

2012-08-11 9:28 AM fenderperry

Training towards Columbia Triathalon, May 2008

Started by buppjr
Views: 1697 Posts: 22

2007-10-28 8:38 AM Dlaxman31

first step towards my goal

Started by michael_Aus
Views: 662 Posts: 4

2004-08-30 12:11 PM COgirl

Start of a Long Journey

Started by qneill
Views: 644 Posts: 4

2004-07-17 5:36 PM Michael

first steps towards a lifelong dream

Started by TriCat
Views: 946 Posts: 9

2004-04-21 11:01 PM Y-NOT-TRI
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 27, 2012
author : ytriguy
comments : 0
Some of the major mistakes I made over a 28-year career that I would do differently if I had it all to do over again.

date : September 22, 2009
author : Ali Winslow
Is it realistic to race a sprint and Olympic distance race within 2-3 weeks of one another to gauge my progress before tackling the half Ironman?
date : August 21, 2008
author : vm354
comments : 1
How Pilates training helped a wanna-be triathlete realize the goal of completing a half-Ironman, Ironman 70.3 Rhode Island.

date : July 30, 2006
author : IRONVIKING
If a heart patient can do these things, then so can those of you who haven't been split open like a fish and sewn back together.
date : January 29, 2006
author : sl2302
I just had a couple of problems, I could count the number of triathlons I had contested at zero. Secondly, I could count on one hand the number of times I had been swimming in the last 17 years.

date : January 1, 2006
author : dara
Ironman is all consuming and deciding to complete one can never be taken lightly. Triathlon is a lifestyle, so don’t rush the journey to your first Ironman; enjoy your new way of life.
date : September 3, 2005
author : trad_it
Now, for the last 20 years I’ve always though that jogging seemed about as interesting as watching paint dry, and you know what? That’s how it turned out to be.

date : August 30, 2004
author : sherrick
comments : 40
This half Ironman plan covers many weeks of challenging, but attainable training for someone who has some endurance experience, and ideally some Olympic distance races within the past season.