General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Transition time - how important is it? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2015-09-16 4:06 PM
in reply to: #5140763

Subject: RE: Transition time - how important is it?
I missed 2nd place once by 3/10 of one second. You better believe I stopped wearing socks and started getting serious about transition practice from that point on.

2015-09-16 4:14 PM
in reply to: danimal123

User image

Denver, Colorado
Running without socks scares me....
Mary
2015-09-16 4:15 PM
in reply to: WebFootFreak

User image

Denver, Colorado
Originally posted by WebFootFreak

Originally posted by nc452010
I agree that it's your race, though. I'd sure hate to know I was faster in all 3 disciplines than the person who finished ahead of me............because I got beat in transition(s).

You mean like at Memphis in May this year?

712 #8 (total)1:40:33.35 (swim)13:55.85@2:35/100M (T1)1:41.96 (bike)43:[email protected] mph (T2)1:36.27 (run)39:49.10@13:16/mile

(me) 628 #9 (total)1:42:06.32 (swim)13:36.35@2:32/100M (T1)3:29.34 (bike)43:[email protected] mph (T2)2:03.99 (run)39:44.53@13:14/mile

I lost a place by 1:32.97 because he out-transitioned me by 2:15.10. Now, in the spirit of full disclosure, I find this to be hilarious because I see myself as a finisher. I am not there to compete with anyone but myself and my times did improve across the board from last year. Well... my swim pace improved, but the time was longer due to a longer swim.

This comparison gives a great perspective! Thanks! Sorry for the loss and congrats on your improvement
Mary
2015-09-16 4:29 PM
in reply to: marysia83

User image

New user
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by marysia83 Running without socks scares me.... Mary

Be not afraid my child. I haven't tried the baby powder thing as others have described, but I have had great success with vaseline. Without any kind of protection,  my feet feel like they've been sandpapered after no time flat, but with vaseline it's like a well oiled machine down there with no issues. I really slather a good glob in each shoe and make sure I get it all around the top edges where my feet rub.

2015-09-16 4:39 PM
in reply to: trijamie

User image

Denver, Colorado
Originally posted by trijamie

Be not afraid my child. I haven't tried the baby powder thing as others have described, but I have had great success with vaseline. Without any kind of protection,  my feet feel like they've been sandpapered after no time flat, but with vaseline it's like a well oiled machine down there with no issues. I really slather a good glob in each shoe and make sure I get it all around the top edges where my feet rub.

I was going to ask how you proceed with the vaseline... So basically - you feel your shoe with vaseline?
I am so tempted to try it! Not on a race day, obviously, but one more tip on my "tips-list."
Mary
2015-09-16 4:46 PM

User image

Denver, Colorado
I think I will also need to practice the "jump on the bike" thing. Somebody mentioned we did that as kids - and I agree. But I tried once and because my seat is so high I basically need to fly my leg extremely high to have it on the other side of the bike... Probably practice will do it.

Other than that (and no socks...) I don't think there is much more I can do - maybe mount/unmount the bike. But that depends on how crowded the area is. I run with a bike, I complete everything in swim suite, I don't carry any gadgets, and I don't have a blanket and wine in my transition area
My only dilemma could be running t-shirt, because I have this obsession with funny shirts, so I look hmm.. cooler/funnier on those silly race pictures. But I always put them on while running out of transition, so am not sure if not having it would decrease my time. probably, after doing more and more races I will not care about such silly thing.
Mary

2015-09-16 4:47 PM

User image

New user
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by marysia83

I was going to ask how you proceed with the vaseline... So basically - you feel your shoe with vaseline? I am so tempted to try it! Not on a race day, obviously, but one more tip on my "tips-list." Mary

I do it with my cycling shoes and with my running shoes beforehand. If I put some on my feet, it would likely get rubbed off by all those freeloaders in the swim who grab at my toes to try to hang on for a ride. The vaseline will prevent chafing in addition to making it easier for them to slide on and off. I wouldn't put TOO much in there, it's not like you're filling it to the brim, but I just take a couple fingers full and wipe it all around the inside, especially the tounge of the shoe where a lot of the friction comes from when putting them on. If you're going to try it, try it on an older pair of running shoes so that if it ends up not being your thing, I won't get an angry reply saying "UNCLE JAMIE MY NEW SWEET RUNNING SHOES ARE ALL GREASY NOW!"

2015-09-16 9:35 PM

User image

Denver, Colorado

If I put some on my feet, it would likely get rubbed off by all those freeloaders in the swim who grab at my toes to try to hang on for a ride.

I really imagined that haha
Mary
2015-09-16 9:36 PM

User image

Denver, Colorado

Originally posted by marysia83

I was going to ask how you proceed with the vaseline... So basically - you feel your shoe with vaseline? I am so tempted to try it! Not on a race day, obviously, but one more tip on my "tips-list." Mary

I do it with my cycling shoes and with my running shoes beforehand. If I put some on my feet, it would likely get rubbed off by all those freeloaders in the swim who grab at my toes to try to hang on for a ride. The vaseline will prevent chafing in addition to making it easier for them to slide on and off. I wouldn't put TOO much in there, it's not like you're filling it to the brim, but I just take a couple fingers full and wipe it all around the inside, especially the tounge of the shoe where a lot of the friction comes from when putting them on. If you're going to try it, try it on an older pair of running shoes so that if it ends up not being your thing, I won't get an angry reply saying "UNCLE JAMIE MY NEW SWEET RUNNING SHOES ARE ALL GREASY NOW!"

That's a good idea to try it on old shoes. I hope it works and I don't have to chase you
Mary
2015-09-17 6:08 AM

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania
Originally posted by marysia83Running without socks scares me....Mary
Start with doing the first or last mile of training runs without socks, and gradually increasing the distance sockless.
2015-09-17 8:38 AM
in reply to: TriMyBest

User image

Denver, Colorado
Originally posted by TriMyBest

Originally posted by marysia83Running without socks scares me....Mary
Start with doing the first or last mile of training runs without socks, and gradually increasing the distance sockless.

That makes sense. I'll try that too.
Mary

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Transition time - how important is it? Rss Feed  

of 3

RELATED POSTS

Swim timing end, transition T1 time start

Started by Pete1234
Views: 1897 Posts: 11

2011-05-03 10:42 PM Pete1234

transitions, and why they are important! Pages: 1 2

Started by newbz
Views: 2430 Posts: 35

2009-12-23 7:37 AM ron brownlow

Fast transitions are important!!!

Started by famelec
Views: 424 Posts: 1

2007-04-02 2:59 PM famelec

Transition time during a brick?

Started by snoopy
Views: 704 Posts: 7

2006-04-22 7:51 PM Det

Transition Times

Started by lexington476
Views: 547 Posts: 2

2005-05-09 5:23 PM ellismichael
RELATED ARTICLES
date : May 5, 2008
author : TriPainter
comments : 1
I went into the pool area (as this was a pool swim) and got body marked. That's when it hit me that I was there to race - this was not a clinic.