http://www.dynamicraceevents.com/events/cultus-lake-triathlon/
16C / 61F
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 48m 7s
Overall Rank = 68/116
Age Group = 50-54
Age Group Rank = 3/3
Pre-race routine:

Drove to Cultus Lake on Sat, and camped at Entrance Bay campground. Went to package pickup Sat afternoon, then off for a ride on the first part of the bike course (up the hill, down the hill, a short section of the flat, then back up the hill and down the hill :)
Had dinner at a local pub - dinner was unremarkable, but the Sapporo was good :)
Enjoyed a campfire for an hour or two, then hit the hay. Had not slept in a tent in a while, and that, plus the nerves did not permit a great night's sleep. Up early, packed everything up, got tri suit on, sweats on, ate 2 granola bars, drank a bit of Amp/cola mixture, and some water, brushed teeth, then headed off to get the day going.
Arrived at transition, set up, got body-marked, hit the head, then got into wetsuit.

I was getting pretty darn excited, as this was my 2nd ever tri, and first Oly.
Event warmup:

uhh.... I waded into the water with my newest best friends, did a short dip to get the suit wet/adjusted, then waited for the start.
Swim
  • 29m 55s
  • 1500 meters
  • 01m 59s / 100 meters
Comments:

The sprint swimmers went off in 2 waves, male then female, separated by about 5 min, then it was all oly swimmers together.
I am happy with the swim. My first ows in a race. I decided that I wanted to be very conservative, and waited about 10 seconds after the horn before starting... to avoid the fray. I never felt uncomfortable, except the suit does not fit me that well. Several times, while swimming, I managed to pull the sleeves up a bit, as I was feeling the shoulders to be too tight/restrictive. I will get a better-fitting suit. The water was clear, so easy to see others, and I was able to stay safe and even draft a bit. I did swim a bit wide on the second part of the triangle to avoid a bit of congestion, but it was open.
What would you do differently?:

Probably go a bit harder, as I really felt it was like an easy jog effort. Overall, I was happy.
Transition 1
  • 03m 12s
Comments:

A bit slow here. I went with the slow is smooth... but it was not fast :) I got the suit down to waist on the run from the water with no issues, cap, goggles, and earplugs off/out, but getting the suit the rest of the way off was not so smooth.
I got my eyeglasses on (need them to see!) shoes on, helmet on, the bike off the rack, and onto a run without issue.

On my next suit, I think I will trim off the bottom of the wetsuit legs to facilitate easier removal -shout-out to LB :)
Bike
  • 1h 12m 36s
  • 37 kms
  • 30.58 km/hr
Comments:

Again, I was happy with this effort. The wind was strong at points, with some good gusts.I wanted to have a good strong ride, but not have it ruin the run. I think it went well. I passed a couple riders from the race, as well as many who were part of a separate event going on over the weekend. I had quite a few riders pass me, and I tried to stay right to not block/hinder them. It was sometimes not easy with the wind. It was nice offering and receiving encouragement.

I was mindful of the drafting rules, and tried to be a courteous rider to other athletes and anyone volunteering or cheering.
I rode the Cannondale tri bike that I had just 'built up'. It is a frame set with wheels and cockpit I got used off of CL several years ago... I am a big procrastinator :) I recently took the drive train off a very small bike I bought used, transplanted them, as well as replacing the round base bar with a Vision bar. So a proper fitting and a lower front end will help in the future.

Much more time in the saddle, and a focus on raising my ftp will go a long way to improve both the ride as well as the run.
Transition 2
  • 02m 2s
Comments:

I opted to ride to dismount line, unclip, then run into t2 with shoes on.... I recently hurt my side/ribs, a couple weeks ago so thought this might be best.

ride with feet on shoes and do the moving dismount.
Run
  • 1h 00m 24s
  • 10 kms
  • 06m 02s  min/km
Comments:

My goal was to run the entire run, and not be forced to walk. I had hoped to be at or just under an hour, so I am pretty happy. My legs were feeling very heavy, and the itb area of both knees was beginning to hurt, but I kept telling myself I was going to finish the run by running it all.
Sometimes I feel disappointed in my current run times, as I used to be competitive at univ as a 400-800 runner, and have several sub-40 10 k times. But, that was 25+ years, and a few pounds, ago. :) I will get my 10k time lower!

Not be old and slow :) Ok, only one of those can be changed, and I will work on getting my run to be more in balance with the swim and bike portion.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked to the line up for pizza and fruit !! It was really good pizza, and there was lots of it, and sliced melon, banana, drinks... It was great chatting with others in line, and cheering for those who were finishing.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Partly age :) Seriously, if I want to perform faster, then more training is required. I was excited with the result of the effort I put into the race, and have really enjoyed the training up to this point.

Event comments:

Joe Dixon has rebuilt his brand, and I think this race was a success. There have been some unhappy customers, but I hope that he continues to move forward. It was my first experience at one of his events, and as far I was able to tell, everything ran very well. I will definitely enter another of his events.
This was my first Olympic distance race, and my second ever tri. I did a short mini-sprint 4 years ago, and love the sport. Being called up as 3rd in my AG was a surprise - I realize it is all about who shows up, as there were only three in my AG, so it was sort of a pity award :) But the AG before and after mine had 12 and 8 entrants, which shows how active people my age can be. I am already excited about entering a half distance next year, as I am not getting any younger. Aaaaand, maybe, juuuust maybe, an iron distance event in the future.... :)

Profile Album

Last updated: 2015-09-14 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:29:55 | 1500 meters | 01m 59s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/3
Overall: 0/116
Performance: Good
Suit: Oneill
Course: triangle-ish 750m, start was in knee-deep water
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 03:12
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:12:36 | 37 kms | 30.58 km/hr
Performance: Good
Wind: Strong
Course: The course is a lollipop-shape, starting with a climb, then downhill with a sharp left turn at a controlled t-intersection. Then out to open country roads with a few lights, again controlled. The crew controlling theses intersections did a great job. The RD hired them, and I think it was a great move. The loop part of the course was on the country farm roads, with very little traffic. There was a fair amount of wind on this day, from all angles depending on where on the course you were.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 02:02
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
01:00:24 | 10 kms | 06m 02s  min/km
Performance:
Course: 2-lap run of a 5 km course. First 2 km is on sand or loosely packed earth... remainder is on pavement. It is a nice course, partly lakefront, remainder is meandering through a lakefront cottage area and past a campground. There was some campfire smoke, but overall, I liked the course.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2015-09-14 11:09 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Langley, BC, 'Wet Coast' Canada
Subject: Cultus Lake Tri

2015-09-30 11:02 PM
in reply to: #5140841

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC
Subject: RE: Cultus Lake Tri

I only just discovered your Race report.  Congratulations on your first Oly.  It sounds like you had a good day and a pretty decent time.  Don't put down your 3rd place.  As I was told, "A podiums, a podiums, a podium!"  I did the same thing in my age group in 2013 at Cultus.  Now I'm sorry I didn't go to Cultus again this year.

Maybe I'll go back to Cultus in 2016.

I did Joe's "Oliver 1/54/10" this year and it was quite a good race and if you're serious about doing a HIM in 2016 you should seriously consider Joe's Oliver Half.  It is early in the season but Tuc el Nuit Lake warms up early (swimable by mid-May most years) and the bike route is not as flat as Cultus but not too bad and I liked the run route.

2015-11-01 8:01 PM
in reply to: wenceslasz

User image

Extreme Veteran
Langley, BC, 'Wet Coast' Canada
George,

Thanks for the comments.
Have you seen that Dynamic Race Events (Joe Dixon) will be hosting a second Cultus event next year, in the spring?
As well, the Sept Cultus will include a half. This company is also planning to run an event in Nanaimo, which IIRC, will include sprint-half distances.
Lotsa choices for BC half distances next year!
2015-11-04 11:48 PM
in reply to: triosaurus

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC

I had seen that Dynamic was adding a second race at Cultus but I hadn't realized he is adding the half in September and I will definitely check out his Nanaimo races.

I did the Oliver 1/54/10 this year and I had a bad run but a good bike ride.  I'd do that again and I have to check out the new "three rivers" races as more options.  So, yes, there are a lot of new options to consider.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Cultus Lake Tri Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Cultus lake Tri

Started by BBBILLY
Views: 1096 Posts: 1

2009-09-14 3:17 PM BBBILLY

Cultus Lake Tri (Olympic)

Started by VanCityJ
Views: 1763 Posts: 9

2008-05-13 1:48 PM DerekWL

Started by twurtele
Views: 1488 Posts: 4

2007-05-15 1:24 PM browner6

Cultus Lake Tri

Started by ultramike
Views: 1340 Posts: 6

2007-05-14 1:18 PM ultramike

Started by VanCityJ
Views: 1576 Posts: 5

2007-05-14 1:03 PM VanCityJ
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 4, 2010
author : alex jb
comments : 0
The triathlon made a lot of sense as I could fit the training around early mornings and other times that wouldn't eat too much into my family time. Things never go completely to plan do they?

date : February 5, 2010
author : CavalloHJ
comments : 5
I found a sprint, the Lake Las Vegas Triathlon, that was happening four months down the road and signed myself up; much to the surprise of friends and family.
date : July 12, 2009
author : FitWerx
comments : 2
I have Bontrager Race Lite wheels. I was looking into renting Zipp 303's or 404's for race day for Ironman Lake Placid. What time will I save?

date : September 24, 2008
author : Amy Kuitse
I am running Boston in April and Ironman Lake Placid is in July. I have been told that it is ambitious to think about doing an IM so close to a marathon due to the recovery time. Any suggestions?
date : August 10, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
The first time I ventured into the deep murky green lake and could not see the bottom my muscles tensed and my imagined fears surfaced. What exactly lies beneath?

date : January 7, 2007
author : Writebrained
Both the Lake Triathlon Shoe CX210TRI and the Lake Road Shoe CX225 offer distinct advantages. I tested both shoes and found them to be extremely comfortable, good looking and durable.
date : December 31, 2006
author : TriSquirrel
A description of my experiences during my first triathlon. It was a great experience. I’m in better shape than I’ve ever been.

date : July 30, 2006
author : mhan22
If you are calm while everyone around you is losing it, you probably don’t know what the hell is going on.