General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Clydesdale wetsuits? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-09-15 11:12 AM

Subject: Clydesdale wetsuits?
Can anyone recommend a wetsuit for a full figured newbie like myself? 6', 222lb, 46" chest ( I do anticipate losing another 10 lbs going forward). I tried an Xterra vortex XL. I tried it in a lake and it was incredibly restricting around my chest....very difficult to breath. I understand Desoto sells separate tops and bottoms. Just looking for some feedback/recommendations. Thanks.

2015-09-15 3:53 PM
in reply to: gsb82

User image

Brooklyn, New York
Subject: RE: Clydesdale wetsuits?
I'm not a cyldes, but I started tri's coming from a bodybuilding background and got into my first wetsuit at 5'10" - 200 with 46+ chest and large legs and glutes. I hated my TYR entry level, hated full sleeve, that said, I am AT HOME in my Zoot Z force 3.0 sleeveless. The chest panel is neoprene but has a ribbed center section for greater flexible expansion. I have been swimming a lot in it now and when I take it off and hold it up I can see how the suit has taken on the form of my body (silhouette). Wish I started out in this one
2015-09-15 4:08 PM
in reply to: 0

Originally posted by TJHammer

I'm not a cyldes, but I started tri's coming from a bodybuilding background and got into my first wetsuit at 5'10" - 200 with 46+ chest and large legs and glutes. I hated my TYR entry level, hated full sleeve, that said, I am AT HOME in my Zoot Z force 3.0 sleeveless. The chest panel is neoprene but has a ribbed center section for greater flexible expansion. I have been swimming a lot in it now and when I take it off and hold it up I can see how the suit has taken on the form of my body (silhouette). Wish I started out in this one
Thank you. Very helpful info. I will put the Zoot on my list to check out.

Edited by gsb82 2015-09-15 4:14 PM
2015-09-15 4:45 PM
in reply to: #5140922

I'm not exactly a clydesdale, but when I purchased my wetsuit early this summer I was 6'1" and about 210 lbs. chest was around 44-45" I went with a large Zoot z-force 1.0 and it felt tight at first. It has stretched and almost feels too long in the legs sometimes now, but I love it. If I were you, I'd order a large in both sleeved and sleeveless and take them to the pool and swim with them. Buy them from REI and you have 12 months to try them and return one (or both) if they don't work out. If I were you I'd even buy the large and XL in both and try them all. I'm sure one will fit to your liking. Remember that they need to be pretty tight. Don't worry, they'll stretchy a little and you'll get used to it. reply or PM me if you'd like more info on my experience. Hope this helps.
2015-09-15 7:00 PM
in reply to: gsb82

User image

Extreme Veteran
Langley, BC, 'Wet Coast' Canada
I cannot suggest a suit that might fit, but wanted to ask a question.
How much experience do you have swimming in a wetsuit?

I ask because my first time was earlier this summer, and I felt much the same - tightness and very restrictive feeling and the added buoyancy all combined to throw me into a feeling of near panic
I seriously wondered if I would be able to use the suit, and as I have come to learn, it is actually a bit on the loose side rather than too tight!

Just thought it might be something to consider...

2015-09-16 9:03 AM
in reply to: triosaurus

Originally posted by triosaurus

I cannot suggest a suit that might fit, but wanted to ask a question.
How much experience do you have swimming in a wetsuit?

I ask because my first time was earlier this summer, and I felt much the same - tightness and very restrictive feeling and the added buoyancy all combined to throw me into a feeling of near panic
I seriously wondered if I would be able to use the suit, and as I have come to learn, it is actually a bit on the loose side rather than too tight!

Just thought it might be something to consider...

Trio,
I was thinking the same. I plan to use it a few more times. I might as well see if the problem is "me". I do however, think it wasnt the best choice to start with (my Xterra is an XL...probably should have gone with a XXL). So please keep the suggestions coming. Thanks.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Clydesdale wetsuits? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

?, riding clydesdale aero wheels but not a clydesdale

Started by Team James
Views: 1308 Posts: 4

2010-09-22 8:34 PM Team James

wetsuit for the clydesdale crowd

Started by PJOinSM
Views: 678 Posts: 5

2007-05-04 9:10 AM ajotto

tri wetsuits vs. winsurf wetsuits

Started by capnsantini
Views: 1400 Posts: 6

2005-07-03 11:08 AM T in Liberty Lake

1st Tri - To wetsuit or not to wetsuit

Started by regimom
Views: 2686 Posts: 11

2005-06-16 2:50 PM us50090

Wetsuit for CLYDESDALE

Started by divemed06
Views: 764 Posts: 3

2005-05-01 7:37 AM Lara
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 24, 2012
comments : 1
Your wetsuit is a substantial investment, and proper care will extend its life considerably.

date : February 4, 2010
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 0
Learn about the different styles of triathlon wetsuits, how to choose one and why it is beneficial to have one.
date : November 17, 2008
author : Ontherun
In part 3 of this series on mid-range fullsuits, we review the Neo Sport Sprint fullsuit for comfort, warmth, buoyancy and performance.

date : September 3, 2008
author : Ontherun
comments : 1
The first video in this series will go through some wetsuit basics: what is a triathlon wetsuit, different styles, rules for racing with a wetsuit and wetsuit care and fit.
date : August 20, 2008
author : Tri Swim Coach
I'm doing my first tri Saturday. It starts at 7 AM and the forecast is calling for a high of 82 (air temp). Do I need to rush out and get a wetsuit?

date : January 16, 2007
author : AMSSM
I suspect your nutrition and training program may have more to do with your symptoms than your Clydesdale classification.
date : October 30, 2005
author : Ingrid Loos
comments : 5
Race in the right division and you will find that maybe you aren't such a slow runner after all.

date : September 19, 2004
author : Michael
I’m a C-L-Y-D-E-S-D-A-L-E! Many people in the sport know the division is there, but many of them think that it's a 'fat boys division.' So what constitutes a Clydesdale? Why even have this class?