General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Cold weather running clothes for men? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-09-16 8:41 PM

User image

Fort Madison, Iowa
Subject: Cold weather running clothes for men?
My triathlon season is over and winter is coming on quickly here in the Midwest. Normally I would be preparing for hibernation but my running needs some work so I want to continue to run through the fall and winter. I have signed up for a late October half marathon to have a goal and keep me motivated. But, I don't like being cold so I will need more than the shorts and tee shirt I would run in during warmer months. Race time temperature will be 42 degrees according to historical averages. By November I will need to run below 30 degrees F.

What is considered appropriate running gear for men? I have heard that showing up to a running event in a tri kit is considered bad form. Does that mean running tights would be out of line for men? What is appropriate running attire (bottoms, tops, hats, gloves, etc) for men to stay comfortable in temperatures below 40 degrees F? Links to specific products or any other comments would be appreciated.

Edited by stevemorey 2015-09-16 8:45 PM

2015-09-17 7:27 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Cold weather running clothes for men?

When the temp is 40-50 I wear regular running shorts.  Legs warm up quickly.  Upper body... tight long sleeve compression and regular short sleeved tech shirt over it.  Skully cap to cover ears.  Gloves to start off and then I usually take them off.   Below 40 I usually throw another compression shirt on.  Still running in shorts.  Below 30 I will wear long tights and running shorts to shield the homeboys from the wind.  Also have a light wind breaker.

Edited by GAUG3 2015-09-17 7:28 AM
2015-09-17 7:57 AM
in reply to: stevemorey

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Not a guy (duh) but Sporthill ( for the record, based in my hometown, but I'm not sponsored by them, although locals do get access to really good sales a couple of times a year) makes really good running gear for colder temps, including base layers, tights (which are a bit more modest than the lycra variety), tops, jackets, hats, and gloves. I have pretty much at least one and in some cases (tech shirts and hoodies) multiple copies of much of their cool/cold weather gear, and have really never had a bad experience with it. Some is also windproof and waterproof, and can double as hiking, biking, cross-country skiing or snowshoeing clothes.

Do make sure to check the sizing charts. They have a wide range (including tall/long sizes for both men and women) but at least the women's sizes run a bit smaller than many other brands. (I wear a small for most running gear but medium or medium long with theirs.)
2015-09-17 8:23 AM

User image

Expert
Pfafftown, NC
My wife wears lululemon almost exclusively. A few years ago, she talked me into buying their running shorts.

I now wear them on every non-tri run. If they made a tri kit, I'd wear it. They make the most comfortable workout apparel I've ever experienced, including several long sleeved options.

If my hands and head are warm, I'm "good".

2015-09-17 8:33 AM

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL

This may help:  http://www.runnersworld.com/what-to-wear

Living in FL we only have a few days every year when it drops below 40F.   I can usually get by with shorts, a long-sleeve tech shirt over a tight base layer shirt, some light running gloves and a cap.  

I've got a pair of running tights and a shell jacket, but only get to wear them once or twice a year.  

The old rule of thumb is that you want to be a bit chilly when you first start out.  If you dress too warmly you'll overheat in short order.

Mark 

2015-09-17 8:34 AM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

For me, anything under 50 is cold.  And when it gets there, I go with a long sleeve tech shirt, ear warmer, and gloves.  Gloves and ear warmers are from the Dollar Store so that I can ditch them if I warm up too much.  My legs are generally OK, although I do train in tights on particularly cold days.  If I am really fighting cold (a couple of days in the 30's) then it may take two LS tech shirts to start and one will come off after I've warmed up.  Some events I have done had drop offs for clothes along the route.  So a Goodwill stop for a LS shirt was what I did, since losing one of my better shirts was not an option I liked.

Bottom line, I've never really concerned myself with what others think is appropriate (within reason).  I take care of keeping myself comfortable.  Comfort = Performance

Something like this on my head:

And gloves like this:

2015-09-17 8:43 AM

User image

Veteran
Great White North
42 is not cold by any stretch. Most likely I would still be in shorts on race day. The sweet spot are the half tights style shorts.

New Balance, Addidas, Nike take your pick. Some are thicker and provide more warmth.

I also have Craft 3/4 tights. A decent wind vest over a tech tshirt works if its windy in that range.

Below 30 is around -1 so still very mild winter weather. Half tights under a mid weight tight. Long sleeve top with microfleece lining light jacket. Headband and gloves.
2015-09-17 8:47 AM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL

To expand on Chris' suggestions, I've purchased inexpensive cotton gardening gloves for some early-starting half marathons with the plan that I would ditch them once I got warmed up.  

Mark

2015-09-18 6:56 PM

User image

The clothes you run in when it's cold really depends on your body and what you're accustomed to. I'm in Northern Ontario so 40 F does not qualify as cold here. I run all winter long although when it's below - 30 and there's a wind, I hit the treadmill.
It's a tricky situation when you race because you want to be warm before the race but not during the race. During the race, you want to be slightly cool. The best thing that you can do is to get a cheap or worn out hoodie, gloves and toque. Warm up in them and discard the hoodie before you start to run. Then discard the gloves and toque when you start to warm up. Don't let yourself get warm. If you start to sweat, the moisture on your skin will cool you down quickly and may even chill you.
2015-09-18 10:43 PM

User image

Cypress, Texas

Originally posted by stevemorey My triathlon season is over and winter is coming on quickly here in the Midwest. Normally I would be preparing for hibernation but my running needs some work so I want to continue to run through the fall and winter. I have signed up for a late October half marathon to have a goal and keep me motivated. But, I don't like being cold so I will need more than the shorts and tee shirt I would run in during warmer months.  

I have a pair of running tights, a pair of warm-up pants, a pair of thermal long johns, and a pair of sweat pants.  It it is below 50 degrees I will ware one of them.  That if it is below 35 degrees i will layer and wear two of them.  If it is below 20 degrees I will wear three of them.  The coldest i have ran in was about 5 deg F. The most snow I have ran in was about 10 inches of fresh power.  For the upper body I where the top to my long johns and long sleeved tee shirts for most of my layers.  If it is really cold I may but a sweat shirt o light jacket over the long sleeved tee shirts. I do the same thing with the socks layer up.  A couple or thin layers work better than thick layers.  Be really careful in the cold weather.  The temperature will not hurt you if you layer up properly, but snow and ice can cause you to slip and fall or twist and ankle.  especially around corners.  When I was running track for the University of Wyoming most days were fine to run out side, during the winter, but some days it is just not worth the risk.  Find an indoor track or tread mill on those days.

Originally posted by stevemorey  Race time temperature will be 42 degrees according to historical averages.  

Keep warm while you are waiting at the starting line for the race to start, but be ready to shed layer before the race starts.  42 degrees may be too warm for more than about one layer of long sleeved and long legged clothing.  I run half marathon just as fast in a long layer of close as I do in shorts, but I know a few people that are crazy enough to run in shorts and short sleeves in 42 degrees.  I admit that after about 8 miles when I am wanted to shed layers that I wish I were one of them.

Originally posted by stevemorey By November I will need to run below 30 degrees F. What is considered appropriate running gear for men? I have heard that showing up to a running event in a tri kit is considered bad form. Does that mean running tights would be out of line for men? What is appropriate running attire (bottoms, tops, hats, gloves, etc) for men to stay comfortable in temperatures below 40 degrees F? Links to specific products or any other comments would be appreciated.

Running tights are the norm at running events for men on cold days.  I wear them under running shorts.  I got an elastic head band that is cut to cover the ears that i like on mildly cold days.  I don't know the brand since i won it in a post race raffle.  Instead of tee shirts we got winter caps for the Valentines Sweet hearts race one year.  I liked wearing that on colder day.  It is always good form at a running event to wear gear from other events to show that you are a veteran runner.  :-)  You might ask you running store if they have any past race memorabilia.  If they do they will probably sell it to you at less than cost since they usually just eat extra from events.  

Oh I almost for got the gloves.  I just wear light gloved on milder day or just pull my hands into the sleeves of my long sleeve shirt.  I am not sure how acceptable the later is.  If it is windy or really gold wear ski gloves.  

Below in the left photo 3rd to the left ifs me in my Adidas warm up pants.  I wear them for cold weather training and in some cold weather races

Here is me with my gray "Sweet Hearts Run" winter cap and a my "Always a Cowboy" long sleeved shirt.  I also train in both of them and race with the hat.  Note:  It is nice to have pockets in your pants to put the hat in after a few miles when your get warmed up.

This is me with the running tights under the shorts.  I was going to run with the orange sleeveless  race top, but was too much of a baby at the starting line and opted to just shed the long sleeved shirt and leave my short sleeved shirt that was layer two on for the race.  This was a Marathon in Northern Kansas in early March that was snowed out and rescheduled the following weekend as a half marathon.  After training in slow and ice for 4 months I was pretty ticked that the race was canceled after I drove 6-1/2 hours to get to it. I had taken a week of vacation to do some travel after the race, so I was able to arrange things so I could come back to the 1/2 marathon the following week, but still very ticked since the Marathon was my A race and I was trying to break 3 hours that day.  I didn't have any other marathons I could go to during my running peak so race directors don't cancel races for 2-3 inches of snow that is all going to melt by 10 AM on race day.     

Heading out to another race with the Adidas warm up pants and a "Tulsa Run" long sleeved shirt. 

2015-09-18 11:45 PM

User image

Expert
Palm Springs, California
Between now and the race, you'll have a solid idea in training runs. I have a spreadsheet in 5F increments for running and cycling clothes. You can bet that race day will be warmer or colder than the average!

I've raced at under 40F in tights, a long sleeve shirt and gloves, but 5F either way would be a lot different.

2015-09-19 5:28 AM
in reply to: Pacific John

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

For me, above freezing = shorts, below freezing = tights, at freezing = what is the wind?  For top/gloves it is highly dependant on the wind.

2015-09-19 8:23 AM
in reply to: axteraa

User image

Expert
Oklahoma
Originally posted by axteraa

For me, above freezing = shorts, below freezing = tights, at freezing = what is the wind?  For top/gloves it is highly dependant on the wind.

Pretty much this^^^

The only thing I would add is when it is below 50 I usually wear a long sleeve tech shirt. The sleeves are nice for the first mile or two and then once I heat up I just pull the sleeves up.
2015-09-20 12:22 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Bellevue, WA

Originally posted by stevemorey ... Race time temperature will be 42 degrees according to historical averages. By November I will need to run below 30 degrees F. What is considered appropriate running gear for men? I have heard that showing up to a running event in a tri kit is considered bad form. Does that mean running tights would be out of line for men? What is appropriate running attire (bottoms, tops, hats, gloves, etc) for men to stay comfortable in temperatures below 40 degrees F? Links to specific products or any other comments would be appreciated.

When it comes to cold tolerance, everyone is different.  I ran a marathon in Portland once at 42 degrees wearing shorts and heavy T shirt and that was perfect. One guy I saw in tights, hat, gloves, jacket. He said it was the coldest race he ever ran.  He was from El Paso. :-)

Runners will often mention the "20 degree rule" as helpful for beginners.  Dress for a temperature 20 degrees warmer than the thermometer says.  You'll be a bit chilly just standing there, and maybe the first mile or two, but after that you'll warm up and be fine.  So for 42 degrees, dress as if you'd be a bit chilly hanging out in your backyard at 62 degrees in those clothes.  Another rule of thumb is that if you're feeling comfortable at the starting line, you're going to be too warm in a few miles. And if you're thinking maybe you're too warm at the starting line, then boy you're going to be baking in a few miles.

The most important part of dressing for temperature is layering. Two or three thin layers is much better than one heavy layer.  Plan on removing an outer layer if you get too warm. 

As for appropriateness, yes wearing a full tri kit or a onsie at a pure running event is somewhat bad form, but it doesn't much matter. It's your race. However wearing a bike jersey with three pockets in back is very "noob", especially if you have things in there bouncing around on your lower back as you run. 

Tights are common in running races and are perfectly OK from a style, appropriateness, and effectiveness perspective. Tthe difference between "running tights" and "cycling tights" is generally marketing except for a pad.  Don't wear padded cycling shorts to a running event or the chafing will be epic.  Tri shorts have a tiny amount of padding and are OK. 

Generally my order of dressing is something like this:

• 60+, compression shorts, short sleeve technical shirt, running hat, sunglasses. That's my basic running uniform that I build on.
  • 50-60, replace short sleeve with long sleeve, or add a windproof but breathable running jacket.  If I get too warm, I can remove the jacket.
  • 40-50, long sleeve shirt under the jacket.  Consider compression running tights instead of the shorts, with tall socks.
  • 30-40, add another short sleeve shirt over the long sleeve. Still wear that jacket. Definitely wear the compression tights.
  • 20-30, add my bicycling tights over the running tights. Add a fleece vest under the jacket.  Replace running hat with skiing-style beanie.
  • Under 20, stay inside!

Wind makes everything colder, so consider adjusting the above if it's a bit windy.  Rain, the same.  Raining and windy, well maybe I stay inside.

Several years ago I raced the Seattle Marathon (fairly hilly), cold (37F or so), raining, solid overcast, no wind.  Not as bad as it sounds, since I was well layered (4 layers on top, nylon leggings, gloves, running hat).  I did a test run a few days before wore the same outfit, replacing one of the two lightweight upper layers with a heavier shirt.  I was actually a little warm for the first 10 miles or so, so maybe I didn't need to do that.

Edited by brucemorgan 2015-09-20 12:43 PM
2015-09-20 12:41 PM
in reply to: brucemorgan

User image

Master
Bellevue, WA

Here are some links:

I like CW-X compression gear. Most of my gear comes over the years as Christmas, birthday and Father's Day presents, and is 5-12 years old now. My wife is incredibly good at keeping athletic clothing in great shape through the wash, so I don't buy very often.  Anyway, my CW-X tights are like these http://www.roadrunnersports.com/rrs/products/CXW118/mens-cwx-performx-tight/

They sell insulated versons, but as I said, I put on my insulated cycling tights if it's so cold I need insulated tights. They are Pearl Izumi AmFIB, highly rated and well recommended: http://www.performancebike.com/bikes/Product_10052_10551_1089403_-1___000000

My running jacket is quite lightweight, made by Hind and they don't make that anymore. It's reasonably wind resistant and lightweight. You can find things like it at REI.  Mine would be the a lightweight but not "ultra" lightweight.  As I said, I layer shirts under it rather than have different jackets.

When it gets really cold, I start swapping in ski gear (tall socks, shells) and bicycling gear (insulated tights, Goretex jackets). But mostly, I stay inside.

2017-06-13 4:37 AM

Yoga pants and hoodies make just perfect wintertime workout gear. I also have several pairs of hoodies for my winter running sessions. But recently I bought new stuff for summer workouts. The gear is from Carbon38.com and I am totally loving it. Super comfortable and was very affordable.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Cold weather running clothes for men? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Running in Cold/Colder Weather

Started by privateer
Views: 2073 Posts: 16

2010-11-02 5:11 PM newbz

cold weather race clothing

Started by DJS
Views: 1157 Posts: 15

2009-10-02 1:40 PM Tundra_Man

Favorite cool/cold weather clothing

Started by Broompatrol
Views: 1599 Posts: 24

2008-11-14 3:06 PM vrljc

Cold Weather Clothing

Started by Big Dan
Views: 1320 Posts: 13

2006-02-27 7:47 PM morey1

Triathlon Clothing For Cold Weather

Started by jeng
Views: 1057 Posts: 2

2005-02-25 4:15 PM waskelton
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 5, 2013
author : b2run
comments : 7
This is an article with lots of great information about running in temperatures from 0 C to - 30 C.

date : February 4, 2009
author : Coach AJ
comments : 0
Coach AJ discusses the essential clothing used to keep your legs and feet warm while cycling or running in the cold weather.
date : April 17, 2005
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
Training in the cold can be effective and fun with some planning. Overall, prepare for the environment, stay hydrated and dry, listen to your body and have a great safe cold weather outing.