General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Race day question: swim cap on wet or dry head? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-09-17 9:43 AM

User image

Denver, Colorado
Subject: Race day question: swim cap on wet or dry head?
I read swim cap instructions for my tri months ago and it said to put it on wet hair. Does it make a difference? It this a normal practice and I sound silly asking about it?
Just getting everything perfectly ready for my Saturday race

Thanks!
Mary

2015-09-17 10:01 AM
in reply to: marysia83

User image

Regular
Hamilton, IL
Subject: RE: Race day question: swim cap on wet or dry head?
Originally posted by marysia83

I read swim cap instructions for my tri months ago and it said to put it on wet hair. Does it make a difference? It this a normal practice and I sound silly asking about it?
Just getting everything perfectly ready for my Saturday race

Thanks!
Mary

Always wet hair. Otherwise you run the risk (may be fine, though) of the cap starting to shift and slip as the hair under it slowly gets wet. Also, know that the hair you get wet with sink water will absorb less of whatever you are swimming in. That could be harsh pool chemicals, or it could be icky brown lake water.
2015-09-17 10:03 AM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

In training mine always goes on wet hair because I thoroughly wet/rinse my hair with regular water before getting in the pool. Like already stated, that creates a bit of a shield to chlorine and other stuff from saturating your hair.

But in races, I always put a cap on a dry head of hair and have never once had an issue. 

2015-09-17 10:06 AM
in reply to: Danno77

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by Danno77
Originally posted by marysia83 I read swim cap instructions for my tri months ago and it said to put it on wet hair. Does it make a difference? It this a normal practice and I sound silly asking about it? Just getting everything perfectly ready for my Saturday race Thanks! Mary
Always wet hair. Otherwise you run the risk (may be fine, though) of the cap starting to shift and slip as the hair under it slowly gets wet. Also, know that the hair you get wet with sink water will absorb less of whatever you are swimming in. That could be harsh pool chemicals, or it could be icky brown lake water.

I've had the shifting trouble, so tend to get it wet whenever possible.

2015-09-17 12:07 PM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Expert
Oklahoma
In races I always put it on dry hair. Although I don't have much hair so I don't have to worry about hair shifting when it gets wet.
2015-09-17 12:21 PM

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania
The hair doesn't matter so much. By far, the easiest way is scoop the cap full of water, bend over, then pull it onto your head in one smooth movement as you stand up. The water inside it makes it expand as you pull it on, then it shrinks tight around your head as the water squeezes out.

2015-09-17 12:45 PM
in reply to: TriMyBest

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by TriMyBest The hair doesn't matter so much. By far, the easiest way is scoop the cap full of water, bend over, then pull it onto your head in one smooth movement as you stand up. The water inside it makes it expand as you pull it on, then it shrinks tight around your head as the water squeezes out.

Has that worked for people of various hair lengths? Mine is longer than average for a guy, not really *that* long. Couldn't get this to really work as hair wouldn't always sit under the cap. This would cause it to move and wiggle off. Shorter and it was a nice trick.

2015-09-17 1:02 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
In front of computer when typing this.
I've never had shifting issues but what I have found is that as I get nervous for the race I tend to pull the cap on closer and closer to my eyes and really low on my forehead, which then alters the fit of your goggles, so they leak. Don't do what I do and test it out on race morning. Get in, swim around with everything in place and make sure you dont have leaking and shifting issues. And good luck with your race!
2015-09-17 1:12 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
2015-09-17 6:02 PM
in reply to: GAUG3

During training I don't always swim with a cap, and when I do I wear my goggles over it.

But for a race, I put the goggles on first, check the fit a few times in the water, and then the cap over the goggle straps. In case your goggles get bumped by a stray arm, foot, etc you run much less risk of losing them entirely in the chaos. Just remember this when you get out of the water and don't try to pull your goggles off first.
2015-09-17 8:21 PM

User image

Denver, Colorado
Thanks for all your feedback!
Mary

2015-09-18 4:35 AM

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania
Originally posted by brigby1

Originally posted by TriMyBest The hair doesn't matter so much. By far, the easiest way is scoop the cap full of water, bend over, then pull it onto your head in one smooth movement as you stand up. The water inside it makes it expand as you pull it on, then it shrinks tight around your head as the water squeezes out.

Has that worked for people of various hair lengths? Mine is longer than average for a guy, not really *that* long. Couldn't get this to really work as hair wouldn't always sit under the cap. This would cause it to move and wiggle off. Shorter and it was a nice trick.

My hair is long by triathlete standards, and my son has a "man bun". It works for both of us. My son's biggest problem is that with so much hair, caps tend to ride up and slip off after 20-30 minutes of continuous ows. I suggested staples, but he didn't think that was a good idea.
2015-09-18 8:25 AM
in reply to: TriMyBest

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by TriMyBest
Originally posted by brigby1

My hair is long by triathlete standards, and my son has a "man bun". It works for both of us. My son's biggest problem is that with so much hair, caps tend to ride up and slip off after 20-30 minutes of continuous ows. I suggested staples, but he didn't think that was a good idea.

Haha! The riding up like your son sees is what I have experienced at times. Have to be sure it's all tucked up inside that tighter section of the cap. Up front it'll get in front of my eyes, obscuring vision (it's really annoying even if I can still see).

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Race day question: swim cap on wet or dry head? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Melon Head / swim caps

Started by jdbadger
Views: 1044 Posts: 8

2008-03-28 10:40 AM king03

Race Cap over Swim Cap

Started by GolfMark
Views: 1385 Posts: 12

2007-01-17 3:27 PM rollinbones

Swim caps for folks with big heads

Started by Denise2003
Views: 4845 Posts: 9

2006-10-22 9:50 PM Princess_Megz

What if my swim cap comes off during a race? and cap tips for big heads?

Started by lablover
Views: 1557 Posts: 7

2005-05-13 2:40 PM Josh_Berman

Dry or wet change

Started by steve mac
Views: 1091 Posts: 12

2005-02-01 8:27 AM steve mac
RELATED ARTICLES
date : July 14, 2014
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 2
Is there an ideal head position? The criteria below will give you a general idea of when you know you have found your sweet spot for head position.

date : November 27, 2005
author : Team BT
comments : 0
The toll of fate strikes as those with orange swim caps are beckoned to begin the journey. Ahhh, nothing like the feel of ice cold water seeping in your wetsuit to wake you up. GO!
date : June 14, 2005
author : tomp
comments : 1
Tips on swimming, biking and running to race-day lessons from this beginners first five months of training.

date : November 14, 2004
author : eclaire
comments : 0
Newbie blunders teach the mind to overcome the moment, and always have fun!