General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Post 70.3 maintenance plan Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-09-17 11:29 PM

Subject: Post 70.3 maintenance plan
Anyone got a good post-70.3 fitness maintenance plan?

I need some structure after doing 20 weeks of half IM training and now having nothing after the race!

2015-09-18 9:05 AM
in reply to: hennster

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin
Subject: RE: Post 70.3 maintenance plan
As easy as it sounds.....

take a few days off, then just do casual swim/bike/run for a few weeks. You will lose your "peak" level of fitness, but that cannot be maintained, just keep the aerobic engine going. Fall is a good time for mountain biking, cyclocross, or shorter running events (5k/10k, trail runs, etc)

Do you have any races set for 2016? Was this your last race for 2016?

2015-09-18 4:43 PM
in reply to: #5141624

Thanks Ben, I'm in Aus, so we're just in Spring. I'm keeping my eyes open for another, but meantime I'll keep turning things over. What about volume in week 1,2 post 70.3?
2015-09-18 11:30 PM
in reply to: bcagle25

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Ha ha in same situation here. I thought about taking time totally off swim/bike/run but then realized I don't actually have anything else to do after work here other than watch TV or read, I'm not really a couch person, and I'd go nuts just doing weights and yoga or something (or, God forbid, might end up taking up Crossfit just to work off energy!). Just doing fun stuff and avoiding what I find difficult to get motivated for unless actually training for a race (early AM trainer rides, long runs in the heat, run speed work). I always swim about 3X a week, even during "off" season. It's a nice break from the heat and always makes me feel better physically and mentally. But I tend to go for workouts with more variety and fewer of those long freestyle sets at threshold pace that HIM plans seem to feature. Sometimes I do the kids' club workouts just for kicks. I like swimming fly and IM so I do a lot of it when not training for an actual race, or just do random workouts. (Box of Sara McLarty's masters' workouts. I close my eyes, take one, if I don't like it, I take another until I find something I want to do. All are similar total distance/pace.)

If you have access to other sports or outdoor activities, then it's a great time for that--hiking, kayaking, bike touring, etc. Sadly, I really don't most of the time, so it's pretty much just the more enjoyable aspects of swim, bike, and run for me. In some other years, I have wanted a bit more structure and so have focused in the off-season on just one event while putting the others on the back burner (i.e. training for a December HM while just doing maintenance with bike and swim or doing Jorge's bike program with just maintenance for run and swim).
2015-09-19 4:36 AM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Just realized that depending on your season plans this may be more of a HIM recovery or shorter mid-season break plan than a true off-season. I did two HIM two months apart this year.... What worked for me was a week off of pretty much anything except a couple of easy recovery-type swims (at any rate I'd been sick on race week so really wasn't up to much the following week), then another week of daily 30-40 minute easy efforts at swim, bike, or run--no doubles, no longer stuff, no speed work. The following week (I think), I think I went back and did the first week of a two-week taper, which had a bit of intensity but only about 2/3 of my peak volume. Then I did four more peak weeks before a one-week taper for the next race. This worked well as I was able to do a PB at the second race.

After the second one, I think I made the mistake of getting back to running too soon. I "ran" three and six days after--easy efforts but felt pretty hideous. In retrospect should have just stayed in the pool that week! It was weird--I wasn't sore at all beyond the second day after the race, and would feel fine until I started running. So clearly wasn't as "recovered" as I thought I was!
2015-09-21 12:19 PM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

For post HIM volumes I usually do what would resemble a reverse taper.  After that it depends on what my next race focus is going to be.

2015-09-21 1:09 PM
in reply to: popsracer

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

It's a good time too to focus on one sport.

This site has some good 'winter maintenance' plans - you can pick general or a sport-specific one. they are pretty high-volume still, IMO and would be appropriate to HIM training level. 

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Post 70.3 maintenance plan Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Ironman maintenance plan?

Started by kenbert61
Views: 1766 Posts: 5

2012-07-17 11:50 AM JohnnyKay

Post IM Maintenance

Started by Aikidoman
Views: 899 Posts: 3

2008-10-13 5:53 PM Aikidoman

Post IMKS 70.3 talk...

Started by oipolloi
Views: 2182 Posts: 22

2008-06-25 1:22 PM oipolloi

Post Race Recovery Routines?- 70.3 and Ironman events?

Started by Cyclingmaniac
Views: 865 Posts: 1

2007-07-25 12:36 PM Cyclingmaniac

Looking for a Good 70.3 Training Plan

Started by swiss tri
Views: 1338 Posts: 4

2007-02-24 9:23 PM gsmacleod
RELATED ARTICLES
date : July 1, 2009
author : mrmarkcole
comments : 37
Or why an Ironman 70.3 may not be your best choice for your first triathlon.

date : August 21, 2008
author : TriChica
comments : 8
I thought of all the times I didn’t attempt something I wanted to do because I was too afraid of trying something new or of failing completely.
date : August 21, 2008
author : vm354
comments : 1
How Pilates training helped a wanna-be triathlete realize the goal of completing a half-Ironman, Ironman 70.3 Rhode Island.

date : January 1, 2008
author : jgosse66
comments : 0
Here is my five step plan for getting mentally prepared for next year’s Ironman Newfoundland 70.3, or any other race that you may have.
date : October 4, 2007
author : jgosse66
It was the morning of Ironman Newfoundland 70.3, I felt queasy. I didn't want to eat or drink anything. I had a full blown case of the pre-race HEEBEE GEEBEES.

date : October 23, 2006
author : Team BT
Three new 'focused' swim, bike & run 8-week winter maintenance plans to offer improvement on your limiters. There will be workouts focused on technique and some focused on volume, speed, & strength.
date : June 6, 2006
author : Ingrid Loos
comments : 4
A bad race left me smoldering, but time and a gentle breeze ignited my passion to race again.

date : October 24, 2005
author : mikericci
This program should be used for an athlete who is coming off a season where they have already raced an Olympic Distance triathlon and they are looking to maintain fitness during the off season.