General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Idea of bike fit based on body type Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-09-18 2:32 PM

User image

West Linn, Or
Subject: Idea of bike fit based on body type
Hello,

First of all I am not going to make a purchase decision based on this. I think I will make the jump to a tri bike in the spring and have been looking at a lot of options online.

My question is this. Is there a reasonable way to tell by body type if a certain bike has a reasonable chance at being a good fit. I have been looking at the Slice, P2, Speed Concept, and the B14. The Felt B14 is a very attractive option at $2200.00.

I am more of a shorter leg longer torso type person. Is there a tutorial someplace on how to interpret the geometry of a bike?

I wouldn't buy a TT bike without getting fit first. Just hoping to get a good idea of possible directions and add to my knowledge a bit.

Thanks,

2015-09-18 2:39 PM
in reply to: mcyork37

Master
Northern IL
Subject: RE: Idea of bike fit based on body type

Originally posted by mcyork37 Hello, First of all I am not going to make a purchase decision based on this. I think I will make the jump to a tri bike in the spring and have been looking at a lot of options online. My question is this. Is there a reasonable way to tell by body type if a certain bike has a reasonable chance at being a good fit. I have been looking at the Slice, P2, Speed Concept, and the B14. The Felt B14 is a very attractive option at $2200.00. I am more of a shorter leg longer torso type person. Is there a tutorial someplace on how to interpret the geometry of a bike? I wouldn't buy a TT bike without getting fit first. Just hoping to get a good idea of possible directions and add to my knowledge a bit. Thanks,

There is plenty to learn here without complicating things. You don't really know the category without getting a fit. Just learn how fit measurements will relate to the bike selection options you get from it. Make sure you know what getting a fit means too as looking for direction ahead of time could mean you don't.

2015-09-18 2:43 PM

User image

Elite
Whispering Pines, North Carolina
Originally posted by mcyork37

Hello,

First of all I am not going to make a purchase decision based on this. I think I will make the jump to a tri bike in the spring and have been looking at a lot of options online.

My question is this. Is there a reasonable way to tell by body type if a certain bike has a reasonable chance at being a good fit. I have been looking at the Slice, P2, Speed Concept, and the B14. The Felt B14 is a very attractive option at $2200.00.

I am more of a shorter leg longer torso type person. Is there a tutorial someplace on how to interpret the geometry of a bike?

I wouldn't buy a TT bike without getting fit first. Just hoping to get a good idea of possible directions and add to my knowledge a bit.

Thanks,

There are a few sites that you can visit that will tell you how to get measurements for your body...That being said, I don't know of a place that you can plug that info into to tell you which bikes are compatible with your measurements. I think some cycling shops have databases they can access, but I'm not 100% on that.

Good luck!
2015-09-18 2:48 PM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Originally posted by brigby1

Originally posted by mcyork37 Hello, First of all I am not going to make a purchase decision based on this. I think I will make the jump to a tri bike in the spring and have been looking at a lot of options online. My question is this. Is there a reasonable way to tell by body type if a certain bike has a reasonable chance at being a good fit. I have been looking at the Slice, P2, Speed Concept, and the B14. The Felt B14 is a very attractive option at $2200.00. I am more of a shorter leg longer torso type person. Is there a tutorial someplace on how to interpret the geometry of a bike? I wouldn't buy a TT bike without getting fit first. Just hoping to get a good idea of possible directions and add to my knowledge a bit. Thanks,

There is plenty to learn here without complicating things. You don't really know the category without getting a fit. Just learn how fit measurements will relate to the bike selection options you get from it. Make sure you know what getting a fit means too as looking for direction ahead of time could mean you don't.

I think it is Competitive Cyclist that has a bike fit calculator, although I would call it an estimator, on their site.  It kicks out some general data after you have input some of your personal measurements.  From that you can look around and get some ideas of what you might be looking at.  What it can't do is see how flexible you are, take precise measurements, etc.  But it is kinda fun to play around with if you have some time on your hands and want to get a very basic idea of the process. 

For reference sake, my fit sheet and the CC website were off a bit.

2015-09-18 2:54 PM

User image

Out of curiosity why are you waiting until the spring? Just so you know you can get a great deal on a bike late fall. That and it gives you all winter to work on the fit.
2015-09-18 3:53 PM
in reply to: Goggles Pizzano

User image

West Linn, Or
Originally posted by Goggles Pizzano

Out of curiosity why are you waiting until the spring? Just so you know you can get a great deal on a bike late fall. That and it gives you all winter to work on the fit.

Because I aggravated a back injury a while back and am still going to PT. Getting into an aero position is not practical at the moment.

2015-09-18 5:48 PM

User image

Originally posted by mcyork37
Originally posted by Goggles PizzanoOut of curiosity why are you waiting until the spring? Just so you know you can get a great deal on a bike late fall. That and it gives you all winter to work on the fit.
Because I aggravated a back injury a while back and am still going to PT. Getting into an aero position is not practical at the moment.
That sucks , good luck with your rehab
2015-09-18 6:42 PM

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

You want a long and low type of bike.  I too have long torso with shorter legs and my 1st bike was a 2006 Felt S22 and was just that.  Only issue was I cannot use a real low front end due to a neck issue so I had a lot of spacers under my stem to raise up the bars.  2 years ago I built up a another Felt, 2013 B12 frame.  This is a long and tall bike, not much room when I stand over the top tube compared to the S22, but don't have all those spacers under the bar stem..

I think the Cervelo P2 and P3 are long and low types.  I know there has been some shifting on frame designs in recent years since not everyone can get real low on the front end and head tubes have grown on some frame over previous generations.

A fitter should be able to nail down which frame setups would be ideal for you.

2015-09-18 8:28 PM
in reply to: 0

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by Donto

You want a long and low type of bike.  I too have long torso with shorter legs and my 1st bike was a 2006 Felt S22 and was just that.  Only issue was I cannot use a real low front end due to a neck issue so I had a lot of spacers under my stem to raise up the bars.  2 years ago I built up a another Felt, 2013 B12 frame.  This is a long and tall bike, not much room when I stand over the top tube compared to the S22, but don't have all those spacers under the bar stem..

I think the Cervelo P2 and P3 are long and low types.  I know there has been some shifting on frame designs in recent years since not everyone can get real low on the front end and head tubes have grown on some frame over previous generations.

A fitter should be able to nail down which frame setups would be ideal for you.

I'm a bit longer in the legs, but still need a lower, somewhat longer bike. Some of that seems to be with being able to turn my hips over well. Hence my original response, don't try to guess based on body type. It could bias your thinking ahead of time. Go with what the fit numbers say. Still look into fit & positioning in the meantime, like what can be done to improve or how things should feel, but be careful of things like this that can bias your thinking.

The recent Cervelo's are a bit taller than the older ones. Forget the exact year, but the P3 came up more so than the P2. The P2 may have stayed about the same. They may still be a little on the lower longish side, but it's only relative as a lot of bikes are coming more into the general population average. It's harder to find a more aggressive fitting bike these days.

ETA: Oh, and get yourself healthy again!

Edited by brigby1 2015-09-18 8:29 PM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Idea of bike fit based on body type Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

What type of bike fit should i get?

Started by 01gbanks
Views: 1078 Posts: 6

2013-02-17 2:03 PM 01gbanks

Bike fit + bike + bike fit?

Started by JRL
Views: 3316 Posts: 10

2011-09-26 12:10 AM jawgee

Body Scan CRM Bike Fit???

Started by jgerbodegrant
Views: 1731 Posts: 2

2011-03-27 11:55 AM ratherbeswimming

Bike fit / body issue question

Started by pga_mike
Views: 718 Posts: 6

2010-10-08 10:03 AM briderdt

Tri-fitting a Mt Bike, Good Idea?

Started by Triforbeer
Views: 1044 Posts: 11

2008-05-27 9:19 PM Nelg
RELATED ARTICLES
date : July 8, 2008
author : sportfactory
comments : 0
Training and racing with your body type mostly means a more analytical approach to both. Here are a few ways you can tip the genetic scale.

date : April 14, 2008
author : FitWerx
comments : 1
The bike fitters at Fit Werx talk about all the components of a triathlon bike fit and how it relates to aerodynamics and the individual.
date : February 12, 2007
author : Rich Strauss
Pay attention to details! Little things like body composition, bike fit, powermeter use and swim technique become big on the Varsity Team

date : September 4, 2006
author : AMSSM
Athletes with diabetes can exercise and compete at a high level. Exercise can help control blood sugars, particularly in Type 2 diabetics, but it can also worsen them if you are not in good control.
date : June 5, 2006
author : mrakes1
In spite of blaming metabolism for your body type or holding your genetics at fault, anyone can lose weight.