in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: ITU Draft legal change for 2016
Originally posted by velocomp

Originally posted by TriMyBest
Originally posted by gary p
Originally posted by TriMyBest

It shifts the emphasis more towards balanced triathletes who don't have any relative weaknesses.

Except for those who aren't experienced bike racing in packs...which is most tri competitors. And it's not a skill that's easily acquired for the average competitor, who typically trains solo or with a single partner. If the intent was to shift emphasis towards "balanced" triathletes, why not shorten the bike and lengthen the swim? A 2.5k swim, 25k bike, 10 k run event would be a more fitting test of who was the most balanced athlete in the three disciplines.
No. The athletes without cycling skills tend to be dropped on the bike. The format effectively penalizes athletes with any weaknesses if they're trying to be competitive. ETA - the easiest way to acquire bike skills is to ride regularly with roadies. It's not that much of a barrier. Also, it's good for ALL AG triathletes to do some group rides. The surges are good interval training, and the handling skills they develop are helpful, even in non drafting races.

Have to say I am not happy with the thought of draft legal tris.  This will hurt most  people if you are not a really good runner.  I tend to be above ave. at all 3 sports, but not great at any one (maybe cycling).  So I can come out o.k. on the swim, catch a good group and make up some time on the bike, but even at 7:30 miles on the run, I will be toast to really good runners who just hang on during the bike.

Also, I like riding/racing on my Tri-bike.  That is a big waste.  Non-draft legal tris provide the most accurate individual race experience.  You get what you sow....

As for those who worry about pack riding.  I think if more races follow this format, you will see triathletes learn these skills.  It takes practice and Triathletes have shown they will learn the skill to help them be competitive.  (Think learning to swim, riding a tri bike for the first time, etc.)  Many people ride alone because tri bikes are not always welcome at group rides.  I don't see this as being such a big deal.  I remember learning to ride with groups.  (Time/Practice)

Nobody knows for sure what the future will bring but IMO for race logistic reasons it is doubtful that draft legal racing will the mainstream format.

Also people are predicting what AG draft legal will be based on how the Elites race it, but with wave starts it will be a completely different beast. For example I could possibly not make it out of the water with the front pack of my AG, but catch the bop of the previous wave and hitch on to a good cyclist there.

Only time will tell if Draft legal actually gains some popularity and how things will play out. It's all speculation at this point. There isn't enough data.

Edited by marcag 2015-09-22 12:12 PM

2015-09-22 11:57 AM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by Left Brain

It has been my experience that the fastest guys in DL racing are still the fastest guys in non-draft.  The reverse is not always true because of bike handling skills.  DL racers are far and away the most skilled triathletes.  It will up everyone's game.

a) That's because the only people that do draft legal are the guys trying to break the youth/junior elite ranks
b) that is not 100% accurate. Jack T is not competitive in draft legal but can wipe many of the DL guys. It's all because of his swim
2015-09-22 12:44 PM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by marcag

It has been my experience that the fastest guys in DL racing are still the fastest guys in non-draft.  The reverse is not always true because of bike handling skills.  DL racers are far and away the most skilled triathletes.  It will up everyone's game.

a) That's because the only people that do draft legal are the guys trying to break the youth/junior elite ranks b) that is not 100% accurate. Jack T is not competitive in draft legal but can wipe many of the DL guys. It's all because of his swim

Dude....please. 

Look, I'm not going to get into a discussion about any particular Jr. on an open board. So that discussion is out for me.  Suffice to say I don't agree and have seen all of those kids race each more times than you can read about. (I'd be glad to tell you why in a PM)

As far as others.......it'll be a tidal wave now that more and more DL racers are entering non-draft events.  Like I said, they are the most skilled triathletes.  As far now....show me anyone who can beat the top DL racers in an Oly race who has never been a DL racer.......and Fredeno/Gomez in 70.3 is no accident.

I don't see how anyone can argue that DL racers are not the most skilled triathletes.....and I know people do....I find it comical.

DL racing is the best of triathlon.  No question.  We can argue about something else if you want......but I won't even entertain this one.....it's just funny to me.

In conclusion.......BRING ON AG DL RACING!!!

Edited by Left Brain 2015-09-22 12:49 PM
2015-09-22 2:33 PM
in reply to: dougie2008

User image

Denver, Colorado
I know nothing about DL races, so I will not argue, but I agree on one point. If it's required - people will learn how to do it. Period. I keep complaining about not being able to learn freestyle, but trust me - if they change the rules and say breaststroke is prohibited in any triathlon races - I would probably learn freestyle in a week. Just a comparison.
Mary
2015-09-22 5:51 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Dude....please. 

Look, I'm not going to get into a discussion about any particular Jr. on an open board. So that discussion is out for me.  Suffice to say I don't agree and have seen all of those kids race each more times than you can read about. (I'd be glad to tell you why in a PM)

Fair enough

As far as others.......it'll be a tidal wave now that more and more DL racers are entering non-draft events. 

I think a tidal wave is an exaggeration. The number of DL racers is actually quite limited compared to the number of people, young and old that are entering the sport.

Like I said, they are the most skilled triathletes. 

They are better balanced athletes. They know how to swim and swimming is not something you can pick up quickly

and Fredeno/Gomez in 70.3 is no accident.

Gomez is an anomaly. He is the greatest triathlete of all time
Frodeno is an example. He came into 70.3 thinking he would wipe all the athletes. Kienle destroyed him first 70.3 WC. I still think Kienle would have beaten him without his mechanicals first IM. BUT, Frodeno, since his DL time, has developed his bike and he will win Ironman. He could develop his bike much faster than Kienle could develop his swim.

Other short course, draft legal athletes have not been able to crack the non drafting world.

I don't see how anyone can argue that DL racers are not the most skilled triathletes.....and I know people do....I find it comical.

There is no doubt, their development path : great swimmers, greater runners, then the bike is the best way. It's not the fac they did DL, it's the fact the did things in the right order. Gwen is not a DL athlete, she's an athlete that did things in the right order.

In conclusion.......BRING ON AG DL RACING!!!

I would love to see DL racing thrive and be an option for those that like it. It's exciting. BUT I don't believe it will become mainstream for many, many reasons.

I really, sincerely would love to see it. But I am very sceptical it will.
2015-09-22 6:20 PM
in reply to: marcag

User image

Pro

I think you will see it, regardless of what we all want.  I know you saw the drafting by some other countries in Chicago, it's the way they race in their countries.....as far as ITU goes, that's the way they are heading.  And....as long as that's the case, USAT and your country's governing body will almost have to allow DL racing in many of it's sanctioned races just to stay competitive.  Otherwise, there's no practice for anyone.

No, I don't think that DL AG racing will be like Elite DL racing.....your point about the waves is right on the money.  But we might as well get used to drafting in races up to Olympic distance, because it's coming. I get your point about development, but like all of the discussions we end up having, where we disagree most is how the most skilled among us can be a lesson to a faster triathlon for anyone.  It's really not apples and oranges.....it's the same sport.  If you really want to race fast then you have to develop and hone some basic skills.  Transitions, swimming and bike handling are abysmal for the average "triathlete".....the majority just don't take the time to learn.  Since that's the case, and you will need those skills to be competitive in DL racing, learning them and taking the time to get it down is a good thing for the sport.  Who isn't in favor of better bike handling is any race? 

There will always be room for the folks who are doing triathlon for fitness and a finish....that's not going anywhere.  They aren't competitive now and they won't be with DL racing because their goals are different.  DL racing won't change that. 

I won't get into a name for name argument regarding all of the DL racers who can dominate AG races, the list is long.  What you won't find is anyone who only does AG racing that can dominate DL racing.  There's a reason for that.

2015-09-22 7:15 PM

User image

Ottawa, Ontario
I agree that the rise of DL tris will not result in the crashfest everyone's worried about. For many participants it won't really change anything, I think it's really only the pointy end (read: more skilled and competitive athletes) that will get involved in pack riding on the bike, and they'll make the necessary adjustments to their training in order to be able to do this (i.e. group rides with roadies). I seem to recall here in Canada they will be requiring you to get "draft-legal certified" via a course in order to be eligible for Worlds.

I could see problems in shorter, multi-lap, multi-wave races where fast packs start overtaking groups of weaker cyclists... it could get sketchy, but until any of this actually happens we won't really know.

I for one don't like it - for me triathlon is an individual sport where each person is trying to give the best athletic performance. The notion that a strong swimmer who emerges from T1 with the lead group can latch onto someone's wheel, get pulled around the course for the bike leg, and then unleash on the run, isn't what the sport is about, in my opinion. Whether you're drafting off of a better athlete, or (even worse IMO) you've got a teammate who waited around for you so they could shepherd you through the bike segment, it just seems like BS. I do find the tactics interesting, and it certainly requires skill, but there's no way you can argue that DL is a more pure assessment of someone's athletic abilities than NDL.

Part of my resistance is probably because the bike is my strongest discipline and it becomes the least important in this format, so draft-legal racing certainly won't do me any favours.
2015-09-22 7:22 PM

I like the conversation about why DL is better than NDL and vice versa, but lets reign the topic back in.

LB you seem to have the most experience with DL racing. Would you expect USAT to change its rules to follow the ITU for short course racing?
My guess would be that will give the option to race DL or NDL with the rider that NDL events will not be national qualifiers.

I have been loving my IM days but I plan to step back to shorter races for a year or two but seeing as my TT bike is not legal for these events I do will be more hesitant to make the change. Adding another bike to my stable is not at the top of my list of things to do.
2015-09-22 7:28 PM
in reply to: SenatorClayDavis

User image

Pro

Originally posted by SenatorClayDavis I agree that the rise of DL tris will not result in the crashfest everyone's worried about. For many participants it won't really change anything, I think it's really only the pointy end (read: more skilled and competitive athletes) that will get involved in pack riding on the bike, and they'll make the necessary adjustments to their training in order to be able to do this (i.e. group rides with roadies). I seem to recall here in Canada they will be requiring you to get "draft-legal certified" via a course in order to be eligible for Worlds. I could see problems in shorter, multi-lap, multi-wave races where fast packs start overtaking groups of weaker cyclists... it could get sketchy, but until any of this actually happens we won't really know. I for one don't like it - for me triathlon is an individual sport where each person is trying to give the best athletic performance. The notion that a strong swimmer who emerges from T1 with the lead group can latch onto someone's wheel, get pulled around the course for the bike leg, and then unleash on the run, isn't what the sport is about, in my opinion. Whether you're drafting off of a better athlete, or (even worse IMO) you've got a teammate who waited around for you so they could shepherd you through the bike segment, it just seems like BS. I do find the tactics interesting, and it certainly requires skill, but there's no way you can argue that DL is a more pure assessment of someone's athletic abilities than NDL. Part of my resistance is probably because the bike is my strongest discipline and it becomes the least important in this format, so draft-legal racing certainly won't do me any favours.

What most people don't understand is that the bike groups aren't just a rest period.  Most people will get spit off the back rather easily in a good DL race pack if they are not a VERY good cyclist.  In a true DL race the efforts out of corners and 180's are extreme.

However, that is something you may not see in AG DL racing.  I just don't see multiple laps or technical courses for races with thousands of people...it just won't work.  So maybe your point will bear out.

2015-09-22 7:34 PM
in reply to: dougie2008

User image

Pro

Originally posted by dougie2008 I like the conversation about why DL is better than NDL and vice versa, but lets reign the topic back in. LB you seem to have the most experience with DL racing. Would you expect USAT to change its rules to follow the ITU for short course racing? My guess would be that will give the option to race DL or NDL with the rider that NDL events will not be national qualifiers. I have been loving my IM days but I plan to step back to shorter races for a year or two but seeing as my TT bike is not legal for these events I do will be more hesitant to make the change. Adding another bike to my stable is not at the top of my list of things to do.

Well, the next qualifier for AG worlds is a DL race in Clermont in Nov.  Half of the world spots will be handed out in that race.  And to your point, the other half were handed out in Milwaukee, a non-drat race.  So in a way, yeah, people got to choose.  But, they won't get to choose how they race next year in Mexico in the sprint race.

USAT will add DL AG races......it's coming.  To what extent is still being discussed from what I've been told.  They really have to if it's gong to be the world format.

2015-09-22 8:02 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

they drafted so much, it was lame LB, really LAMEEEE

2015-09-22 8:26 PM
in reply to: SenatorClayDavis

User image

Veteran
Great White North
Its up to your Provincial Federation (PGB, ie Triathlon Ontario, ATA, TriBC) if they want a certification. There is no national standard being planned.

I have a spot for worlds and they just sent a reminder for no TT bikes at worlds next year.
2015-09-23 3:17 AM
in reply to: simpsonbo

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
What I find really interesting is that people don't want drafting to happen on the bike but if we were talking about the swim then it's a totally acceptable thing to do. No judgement, just interesting.

(Just a disclaimer I'm one of those people who do tri for fun, fitness and to finish so I don't see this having any real effect on me other than I will get passed by groups of riders at once rather than one by one. As long as I stay out of their way then we're all good.)
2015-09-23 5:51 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

USAT will add DL AG races......it's coming.  To what extent is still being discussed from what I've been told.  They really have to if it's gong to be the world format.

I am curious to see if AG Nationals will be DL next year. I think that will be a strong indicator of where they are going.
2015-09-23 7:52 AM

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania

Originally posted by Left Brain USAT will add DL AG races......it's coming.  To what extent is still being discussed from what I've been told.  They really have to if it's gong to be the world format.
I am curious to see if AG Nationals will be DL next year. I think that will be a strong indicator of where they are going.

If the popularity of the sport and both formats continues to grow, I can see a scenario where USAT hosts both DL and NDL Nationals.  It won't happen next year, but maybe within a year or two after.

2015-09-23 8:35 AM
in reply to: TriMyBest

User image

I don’t think I’d want to take part in a DL race.  Triathletes just don’t have the cycling experience and no-how about what’s required when riding in a pack of people as hard as they can.  There are too many seemingly very small errors that people will make that will cause huge accidents – something as simple as freewheeling when you were previously pedaling furiously, swerving to miss a hole in the road, failing to indicate to the person behind you that you’re stopping. The list is endless and I don’t want to be anywhere near that.

The more I think about it the worse the idea gets.  You go into a race implicitly responsible for someone else’s safety?   It’s one thing doing that at elite level (but they don’t really have any choice there) but it cannot work for the masses.

2015-09-23 10:41 AM
in reply to: Dan-L

User image

Champion
Tacoma, Washington

Yep, so many cluster-ef's even when people DO know what they're doing... You're going to have some crazy-strong triathletes in there with no pack skills making a mess of things. At least for a while. Technical courses are a different story, as LB stated that without the strength and skill to take corners and stay with the pack will sort things out. But there aren't a lot of courses out there that I'd classify as technical enough to make that happen.

It doesn't take much -- just some one standing up on a hill suddenly and throwing the bike backwards, or overlapping a wheel, bad placement relative to other riders (and even most road racers don't get schooled in these things).

2015-09-23 11:03 AM
in reply to: briderdt

User image

Pro
Vestavia Hills
Originally posted by briderdt

It doesn't take much -- just some one standing up on a hill suddenly and throwing the bike backwards, or overlapping a wheel, bad placement relative to other riders (and even most road racers don't get schooled in these things).

True that ... I had more legs than skill when I first started riding in a peloton. I could average 22+mph solo but couldn't hold a line to save my life or know my role in a rotating chain pace line.

That said, triathletes should not shrink away from riding with roadies. Instead when you go to a group ride seek out one of the leaders of the ride (and there is always someone there who is either an informal leader or has been there a while) and tell them that you are new and would like to join.

If you are on a tri-bike then proactively let them know that you will not get in to your aerobars.

You will be surprised by how welcoming they can be.

>> don't want to hijack the thread on this but couldn't miss the opportunity to advocate for peace, love + understanding between triathletes and roadies <<
2015-09-23 2:41 PM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by Left Brain USAT will add DL AG races......it's coming.  To what extent is still being discussed from what I've been told.  They really have to if it's gong to be the world format.

In a way, they already have.  I guess you can call what's coming in November anything you want, but for all purposes it's a second AG nationals race since it's a world qualifier.  I understand what you are saying, though.....would the race they actually call AG nationals be DL?  I bet much has to do with how the race in Clermont goes, along with how the worlds race goes and whether the 2017 worlds host also wants to make it DL. 

ITU wants DL racing.....I know this.  USAT is on the fence right now but forced into it for a race with thousands of racers.  The current format is set up for 75 racers.  If you wanted to do that for each AG it would take 3 days to get all of the races in.

As to Brian's point, which I think is a good one, if you really want to become a better cyclist, leave the TT bike at home and find a good, fast, road group once or twice a week..  All of the skills you will learn will make you a better rider on any type of bike.

Edited by Left Brain 2015-09-23 2:44 PM
2015-09-24 2:37 PM

User image

Veteran
Great White North
Willing to be Cdn Sprint nats will be DL and in Edmonton on the ITU course.
2015-10-07 7:48 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

I guess we will have to wait a little longer for DL :-)

http://www.runnersweb.com/running/news_2015/rw_news_20151006_USAT_C...

USA Triathlon's longest-running National Championships event, Age Group Nationals, also moves to a new location in 2016 - Omaha, Nebraska. The two-day event features the Olympic-Distance National Championships on Saturday, Aug. 13, with athletes competing on a 1,500m swim, 40k bike, 10k run course, and the Sprint National Championships, a 750m swim, 20k bike, 5k run race, on Sunday, Aug. 14. Both events will be a non-draft format Top finishers will qualify for Team USA in the 2017 ITU World Championships, part of the ITU World Triathlon Grand Final Rotterdam in the Netherlands.

2015-10-07 8:03 AM

User image

Pro

Not necessarily.  If worlds is DL then they'll just do what they are doing this year and split the qulification spots with two different races.  Baby steps.  I can't figure out what all the whining and gnashing of teeth is all about anyway......it's MUCH better racing.

Edited by Left Brain 2015-10-07 8:05 AM
2015-10-07 8:19 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Not necessarily.  If worlds is DL then they'll just do what they are doing this year and split the qulification spots with two different races.  Baby steps.  I can't figure out what all the whining and gnashing of teeth is all about anyway......it's MUCH better racing.

I am actually surprised they aren't doing it at Nationals. From what I have read there is no such thing as "DL AG champion". There may be (not yet confirmed) another qualification race but it's not a National Championship race, it's simply a qualification race. And that isn't even certain.

There was a certain amount of progression/transition...call it what you want and I think they have broken that momentum.

While the DL supporters love it, I don't think that excitement has been transmitted to the masses. It's too bad. More options could have been a good thing.

I don't think replacing NDL was ever an option. Adding an event, maybe, but not replacing. I guess they need sprint as a entry point for many people and that must be NDL. Adding another event is logistically difficult. I suspect it will remain a specialty event, limited in availability/popularity

Edited by marcag 2015-10-07 8:21 AM
2015-10-07 8:27 AM

User image

Pro

I am actually surprised they aren't doing it at Nationals. From what I have read there is no such thing as "DL AG champion". There may be (not yet confirmed) another qualification race but it's not a National Championship race, it's simply a qualification race. And that isn't even certain. There was a certain amount of progression/transition...call it what you want and I think they have broken that momentum. While the DL supporters love it, I don't think that excitement has been transmitted to the masses. It's too bad. More options could have been a good thing. I don't think replacing NDL was ever an option. Adding an event, maybe, but not replacing. I guess they need sprint as a entry point for many people and that must be NDL. Adding another event is logistically difficult. I suspect it will remain a specialty event, limited in availability/popularity

It'll take time....but it's coming.  There is a generation of folks coming into the sport who only know DL racing......and think non-draft racing is not really racing at all.  We'll see what effect they end up having since their entry into triathlon, at the present numbers (and growing wildly) is relatively new in the U.S.

2015-10-07 8:32 AM

User image

Pro

Besides.....I don't know  how it is with your governing body.......but ours changes things on the fly.

We've already got all the dates for the DL circuit next year.....just like last year....and some of those races and dates changed, were cancelled, never actually existed, blah, blah, blah. 

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » ITU Draft legal change for 2016 Rss Feed  

of 3

RELATED POSTS

New 2016 Bike announcements?

Started by GeauxHard
Views: 1281 Posts: 4

2015-06-27 8:12 PM jeremyscarroll

Qualifying for 2016 Long Course World Championship

Started by EKH
Views: 1936 Posts: 8

2015-06-11 12:24 PM EKH

Ironman Louisville extended through 2016

Started by cgchandler
Views: 1497 Posts: 5

2011-04-20 11:23 AM Rogillio

Drafting in a non Draft legal

Started by xcrunner2010
Views: 1635 Posts: 16

2009-06-11 10:26 PM xcrunner2010

"Legal" bike drafting - is it really legal? Pages: 1 2 3

Started by famelec
Views: 3189 Posts: 54

2007-08-09 3:00 PM ScottoNM
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 18, 2013
author : alicefoeller
comments : 0
BT amateurs compete in San Diego race on the world stage.

date : March 15, 2012
author : USATriathlon
comments : 1
This USAT Rules Clinic will help you avoid penalties. Topics discussed will be rules of the transition area, drafting penalties, the drafting zone, challenging penalties and more.
date : May 5, 2008
author : mrakes1
Did you flat training or racing on your tubular tire? This video will show you everything you need to do to change your tubular tire.

date : December 14, 2004
author : Team BT
Q&A with Siri Lagley, winner of the ITU President’s Cup racing series two years in a row and coach of Susan Williams, US Athens triathlete.
date : November 14, 2004
author : czone
At one of my last swim sessions the week of my first Ironman, one of my training partners told me how she was envious..."your first Ironman is fun, you have no pressure and no expectations!"