General Discussion Triathlon Talk » ITU Draft legal change for 2016 Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2015-09-19 12:51 AM

Subject: ITU Draft legal change for 2016
I am reading through the ITU rule book an highlighted in green it states the drafting will be legal starting in 2016 for all age group sprint racing.

Now am I interpreting this right that next year any ITU sanctioned event in the sprint will be draft legal? Secondly does this mean that a lot of the local sprints will become draft legal?

I have not found anything in the USAT rules ergo the confusion.

2015-09-19 3:34 AM
in reply to: dougie2008

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania
Subject: RE: ITU Draft legal change for 2016
Originally posted by dougie2008I am reading through the ITU rule book an highlighted in green it states the drafting will be legal starting in 2016 for all age group sprint racing. Now am I interpreting this right that next year any ITU sanctioned event in the sprint will be draft legal? Secondly does this mean that a lot of the local sprints will become draft legal?I have not found anything in the USAT rules ergo the confusion.
Very few races in the US are sanctioned by the ITU. Most are USAT. I'm not familiar enough with ITU racing to comment on whether they're making ALL AG races draft legal.
2015-09-19 9:15 AM
in reply to: TriMyBest

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

Yes, ITU sprint races (aka worlds next year) will be draft legal.  USAT screwed us all over with the way they qualified people this year.

thanks obama

2015-09-19 6:52 PM
in reply to: dmiller5

That is what I figured but I was unsure. I know USAT events can qualify an individual for nationals that can qualify you for worlds.

I guess my question is more around the idea that if I qualify for nationals next year would I have to change racing style to compete at the next level.

I do not for see this being a problem as I am still trying to wrap my head around two slow Ironmans and a really fast half.
2015-09-20 10:13 AM

User image

Veteran
Great White North
Just remember ... no TT bikes allowed in DL & no shorty bars either.

I looking forward to racing with less on an arms race for kit.
2015-09-20 10:49 AM
in reply to: simpsonbo

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia
Originally posted by simpsonbo

Just remember ... no TT bikes allowed in DL & no shorty bars either.

I looking forward to racing with less on an arms race for kit.

And a nice easy swim for you to exit the water with some people ready to ride fast?

Shane

2015-09-20 12:59 PM
in reply to: gsmacleod

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania

Originally posted by gsmacleod
Originally posted by simpsonbo Just remember ... no TT bikes allowed in DL & no shorty bars either. I looking forward to racing with less on an arms race for kit.
And a nice easy swim for you to exit the water with some people ready to ride fast? Shane

Haha!  Easy for Bo, but not most others.

2015-09-20 2:10 PM

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia
Originally posted by TriMyBest

Originally posted by simpsonbo Just remember ... no TT bikes allowed in DL & no shorty bars either. I looking forward to racing with less on an arms race for kit.
And a nice easy swim for you to exit the water with some people ready to ride fast? Shane

For sure - I'm excited for the format as I love draft legal but the thought of being in a pack on race day with a bunch of average triathletes is nothing short of terrifying.

Shane
2015-09-20 7:51 PM

User image

Veteran
Great White North
The arms race for bike / aero kit is severly blunted in this format.

2015-09-20 8:25 PM

User image

Pro

Just stay far away from anyone racing for Venezuela.....they are apparently all descendants of Japanese kamikaze pilots.

2015-09-20 9:17 PM

Master
Northern IL

For sure - I'm excited for the format as I love draft legal but the thought of being in a pack on race day with a bunch of average triathletes is nothing short of terrifying. Shane

Yesterday, part of my ride went through what was essentially a bar crawl on a bike. It was exactly the same as a number of triathlons I've done.

2015-09-21 8:00 AM

New user
This makes a big shift away from triathlons being an individual sport towards a team sport. As someone that does this for fun that's not a positive shift. This shifts the balance more to teams of cyclists, and great cyclists.

Cycling is my best segment in a triathlon, and I love drafting when I'm not in a triathlon. The speed in a good draft line is phenomenal, and loads of fun. But that means getting people together in the draft line. For the best speed results that's going to be teams, whether formal or informal.

Trusting random people in a triathlon at 30 mph in a draft line would be a stretch. I was watching some racing with pro teams this weekend and one of them had a team member go down and the guy behind him went down from hitting the down bike as well. And that was a pro team in a time trial with no one else on the road with them.

2015-09-21 8:12 AM
in reply to: waynec

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania

Originally posted by waynec This makes a big shift away from triathlons being an individual sport towards a team sport. As someone that does this for fun that's not a positive shift. This shifts the balance more to teams of cyclists, and great cyclists. Cycling is my best segment in a triathlon, and I love drafting when I'm not in a triathlon. The speed in a good draft line is phenomenal, and loads of fun. But that means getting people together in the draft line. For the best speed results that's going to be teams, whether formal or informal. Trusting random people in a triathlon at 30 mph in a draft line would be a stretch. I was watching some racing with pro teams this weekend and one of them had a team member go down and the guy behind him went down from hitting the down bike as well. And that was a pro team in a time trial with no one else on the road with them.

It shifts the emphasis more towards balanced triathletes who don't have any relative weaknesses.  Non-draft races favor great cyclists.  Because the bike is the longest leg, it allows the most time for a strong cyclist/weak swimmer to compensate for the swim.  In drafting races, the strong cyclist/weak swimmer is at a huge disadvantage, because they're going to miss the lead pack on the bike, and are left in the position of chasing them down, which is more likely to burn too many matches to run well.

Yes, there will be more crashes, especially initially, but eventually, athletes will either develop the necessary handling skills, or choose non-draft events.

2015-09-21 8:27 AM
in reply to: waynec

User image

Pro

Originally posted by waynec This makes a big shift away from triathlons being an individual sport towards a team sport. As someone that does this for fun that's not a positive shift. This shifts the balance more to teams of cyclists, and great cyclists. Cycling is my best segment in a triathlon, and I love drafting when I'm not in a triathlon. The speed in a good draft line is phenomenal, and loads of fun. But that means getting people together in the draft line. For the best speed results that's going to be teams, whether formal or informal. Trusting random people in a triathlon at 30 mph in a draft line would be a stretch. I was watching some racing with pro teams this weekend and one of them had a team member go down and the guy behind him went down from hitting the down bike as well. And that was a pro team in a time trial with no one else on the road with them.

You have it exactly backwards.  Draft Legal racing favors strong swimmers and runners.

2015-09-21 8:40 AM

User image

Exton, PA

It shifts the emphasis more towards balanced triathletes who don't have any relative weaknesses.  Non-draft races favor great cyclists.  Because the bike is the longest leg, it allows the most time for a strong cyclist/weak swimmer to compensate for the swim.  In drafting races, the strong cyclist/weak swimmer is at a huge disadvantage, because they're going to miss the lead pack on the bike, and are left in the position of chasing them down, which is more likely to burn too many matches to run well.

Yes, there will be more crashes, especially initially, but eventually, athletes will either develop the necessary handling skills, or choose non-draft events.

Not to mention if you have someone in a pack that is a hazard to everyone else, the group will work together to drop that person. If your not good in a pack chances are you can't handle the fast accelerations of a group ride.
2015-09-21 8:59 AM
in reply to: mike761

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

Draft legal favors the runners as long as you can make the right group in the swim.

2015-09-21 8:59 AM
in reply to: mike761

User image

Pro

Quite a bit of the "crash factor" depends on the course too.  If it's not a technical course you won't have many problems.  The other thing to remember is that packs mostly form with riders of similar skill, as Mike761 just said, and if you find yourself in a pack that you can't work with then you find someone in that pack and jump ahead. 

It will NOT be the crashfest everyone seems to think it will.  BUT......you can bet you'll miss the best part of the race if you are not a good swimmer.

2015-09-21 9:07 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Veteran
Great White North
Good to know. Hope they can't swim with me
2015-09-21 9:22 PM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by simpsonbo Good to know. Hope they can't swim with me

I hope a couple can.....you guys will be GONE.

2015-09-22 8:27 AM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Veteran
Great White North
?just need a group of 3 or so and leapfrog in and out of the other groups.
2015-09-22 9:58 AM

User image

It shifts the emphasis more towards balanced triathletes who don't have any relative weaknesses.

Except for those who aren't experienced bike racing in packs...which is most tri competitors. And it's not a skill that's easily acquired for the average competitor, who typically trains solo or with a single partner.

If the intent was to shift emphasis towards "balanced" triathletes, why not shorten the bike and lengthen the swim? A 2.5k swim, 25k bike, 10 k run event would be a more fitting test of who was the most balanced athlete in the three disciplines.

2015-09-22 10:03 AM
in reply to: gary p

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

Originally posted by gary p

It shifts the emphasis more towards balanced triathletes who don't have any relative weaknesses.

Except for those who aren't experienced bike racing in packs...which is most tri competitors. And it's not a skill that's easily acquired for the average competitor, who typically trains solo or with a single partner. If the intent was to shift emphasis towards "balanced" triathletes, why not shorten the bike and lengthen the swim? A 2.5k swim, 25k bike, 10 k run event would be a more fitting test of who was the most balanced athlete in the three disciplines.

righhttttt

actually, if you look at the Olympic distance, the time gaps among the 3 sports are similar.  an olmypic tri is a fairly balanced race

2015-09-22 10:48 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania

Except for those who aren't experienced bike racing in packs...which is most tri competitors. And it's not a skill that's easily acquired for the average competitor, who typically trains solo or with a single partner. If the intent was to shift emphasis towards "balanced" triathletes, why not shorten the bike and lengthen the swim? A 2.5k swim, 25k bike, 10 k run event would be a more fitting test of who was the most balanced athlete in the three disciplines.
No. The athletes without cycling skills tend to be dropped on the bike. The format effectively penalizes athletes with any weaknesses if they're trying to be competitive. ETA - the easiest way to acquire bike skills is to ride regularly with roadies. It's not that much of a barrier. Also, it's good for ALL AG triathletes to do some group rides. The surges are good interval training, and the handling skills they develop are helpful, even in non drafting races.

Edited by TriMyBest 2015-09-22 10:52 AM
2015-09-22 11:00 AM

User image

Master
Centennial, CO

No. The athletes without cycling skills tend to be dropped on the bike. The format effectively penalizes athletes with any weaknesses if they're trying to be competitive. ETA - the easiest way to acquire bike skills is to ride regularly with roadies. It's not that much of a barrier. Also, it's good for ALL AG triathletes to do some group rides. The surges are good interval training, and the handling skills they develop are helpful, even in non drafting races.

Have to say I am not happy with the thought of draft legal tris.  This will hurt most  people if you are not a really good runner.  I tend to be above ave. at all 3 sports, but not great at any one (maybe cycling).  So I can come out o.k. on the swim, catch a good group and make up some time on the bike, but even at 7:30 miles on the run, I will be toast to really good runners who just hang on during the bike.

Also, I like riding/racing on my Tri-bike.  That is a big waste.  Non-draft legal tris provide the most accurate individual race experience.  You get what you sow....

As for those who worry about pack riding.  I think if more races follow this format, you will see triathletes learn these skills.  It takes practice and Triathletes have shown they will learn the skill to help them be competitive.  (Think learning to swim, riding a tri bike for the first time, etc.)  Many people ride alone because tri bikes are not always welcome at group rides.  I don't see this as being such a big deal.  I remember learning to ride with groups.  (Time/Practice)

2015-09-22 11:43 AM
in reply to: velocomp

User image

Pro

Originally posted by velocomp

Have to say I am not happy with the thought of draft legal tris.  This will hurt most  people if you are not a really good runner.  I tend to be above ave. at all 3 sports, but not great at any one (maybe cycling).  So I can come out o.k. on the swim, catch a good group and make up some time on the bike, but even at 7:30 miles on the run, I will be toast to really good runners who just hang on during the bike.

Also, I like riding/racing on my Tri-bike.  That is a big waste.  Non-draft legal tris provide the most accurate individual race experience.  You get what you sow....

As for those who worry about pack riding.  I think if more races follow this format, you will see triathletes learn these skills.  It takes practice and Triathletes have shown they will learn the skill to help them be competitive.  (Think learning to swim, riding a tri bike for the first time, etc.)  Many people ride alone because tri bikes are not always welcome at group rides.  I don't see this as being such a big deal.  I remember learning to ride with groups.  (Time/Practice)

It has been my experience that the fastest guys in DL racing are still the fastest guys in non-draft.  The reverse is not always true because of bike handling skills.  DL racers are far and away the most skilled triathletes.  It will up everyone's game.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » ITU Draft legal change for 2016 Rss Feed  

of 3

RELATED POSTS

New 2016 Bike announcements?

Started by GeauxHard
Views: 1278 Posts: 4

2015-06-27 8:12 PM jeremyscarroll

Qualifying for 2016 Long Course World Championship

Started by EKH
Views: 1926 Posts: 8

2015-06-11 12:24 PM EKH

Ironman Louisville extended through 2016

Started by cgchandler
Views: 1492 Posts: 5

2011-04-20 11:23 AM Rogillio

Drafting in a non Draft legal

Started by xcrunner2010
Views: 1611 Posts: 16

2009-06-11 10:26 PM xcrunner2010

"Legal" bike drafting - is it really legal? Pages: 1 2 3

Started by famelec
Views: 3181 Posts: 54

2007-08-09 3:00 PM ScottoNM
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 18, 2013
author : alicefoeller
comments : 0
BT amateurs compete in San Diego race on the world stage.

date : March 15, 2012
author : USATriathlon
comments : 1
This USAT Rules Clinic will help you avoid penalties. Topics discussed will be rules of the transition area, drafting penalties, the drafting zone, challenging penalties and more.
date : May 5, 2008
author : mrakes1
Did you flat training or racing on your tubular tire? This video will show you everything you need to do to change your tubular tire.

date : December 14, 2004
author : Team BT
Q&A with Siri Lagley, winner of the ITU President’s Cup racing series two years in a row and coach of Susan Williams, US Athens triathlete.
date : November 14, 2004
author : czone
At one of my last swim sessions the week of my first Ironman, one of my training partners told me how she was envious..."your first Ironman is fun, you have no pressure and no expectations!"