General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bike Clicking Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-09-19 10:22 AM

User image

Master
Falls Church, Virginia
Subject: Bike Clicking
First off, I am an absolute bike noob. I have no idea what a bike is supposed to sound like, so school me! Second, we aren't talking about a road/tri bike here, if that makes any difference. I have a Linus Dutchi8. Her name is Peggy, and we buy groceries together.
Now, here's my issue. Whenever I pedal down with my left foot, there's this metallic clicking noise. As far as anyone knows, does this sound like a normal mechanical noise that bikes make? Perhaps it was just really quiet this morning so it was the first time I noticed it? Or could this be some kind of misalignment issue. Let me know if more information/pictures/etc are needed to help diagnose. I bought it used from a friend who basically never rode it, so I don't have a LBS yet or any bike-knowledgeable friends IRL. Much appreciated!!

ETA: I realize the absolute absurdity of someone who has been on BT for 10 years and has done three tris having no idea about bikes. Never to late to start over and take it seriously, right!

Edited by Atlantia 2015-09-19 10:27 AM

2015-09-19 12:39 PM
in reply to: Atlantia

User image

Master
Kailua, Hawaii
Subject: RE: Bike Clicking
could be a loose crank arm or bad pedal if it's just making a sound with the left side. also the bottom bracket could have a problem,.

does it make the sound with only going up hills or all the time when pedaling ?

does the sound seem to come from where your foot is or somewhere else ?

is the pedaling smooth or is there a disturbance (grinding, clunk, etc) when the sound happens ?
2015-09-19 2:15 PM

User image

If I'm not mistaken, that bike has a Shimano Nexus 8-speed internal-geared hub instead of a conventional rear derailleur. Lots of complicated things going on in that hub, I'd bet that's the source of your click. If so, I'd start by making sure the cable is properly adjusted. Here's a guide: https://aseasyasridingabike.wordpress.com/2013/02/01/a-simple-guide-...

If that doesn't fix it, you may have to re-grease the hub. It's a fairly complicated procedure, but not beyond the capabilities of a determined amateur. Guide here: http://cyclea2b.blogspot.com/2011/04/shimano-nexus-8-review-regreas...

2015-09-19 3:13 PM
in reply to: gary p

User image

Expert
Floriduh
I'll bet on a loose crankarm.
2015-09-19 3:33 PM
in reply to: metafizx

User image

Master
Falls Church, Virginia
Originally posted by metafizx

could be a loose crank arm or bad pedal if it's just making a sound with the left side. also the bottom bracket could have a problem,.

is the pedaling smooth or is there a disturbance (grinding, clunk, etc) when the sound happens ?

The sound is all the time, and it sounds like it is coming from near my foot. There is no disturbance, all seems to be operating smoothly aside from the noise.

Originally posted by gary p

If I'm not mistaken, that bike has a Shimano Nexus 8-speed internal-geared hub instead of a conventional rear derailleur. Lots of complicated things going on in that hub, I'd bet that's the source of your click. If so, I'd start by making sure the cable is properly adjusted. Here's a guide: https://aseasyasridingabike.wordpress.com/2013/02/01/a-simple-guide-...

If that doesn't fix it, you may have to re-grease the hub. It's a fairly complicated procedure, but not beyond the capabilities of a determined amateur. Guide here: http://cyclea2b.blogspot.com/2011/04/shimano-nexus-8-review-regreas...

Yes, it is an internal hub. Would the sound be coming from the rear if the issue was in the hub? Or could an issue in the hub cause the sound to come from the pedal area?
Thanks so much for the guides! I would hope the hub wouldn't need to be re-greased already, since the bike has less than 150 miles on it. I guess there's no way to know how my friend stored it though.
2015-09-20 9:39 AM
in reply to: #5141851

User image

Expert
Start at the pedals, then the crank, and lastly the hub. We have a bike with a Nexus hub on it in the house too. They are pretty sturdy and I'd expect different symptoms if the hub had some issue(s)

2015-09-20 10:56 AM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

I had something that sounds sort of the same out of my used Fuji shortly after I bought it a few years back.  It turned out to be a bottom bracket replacement. LBS took care of it and I think it was under $100 bucks all told.

It is never too late to start  

2015-09-20 11:51 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Bellevue, WA

Originally posted by magic Start at the pedals, then the crank, and lastly the hub. We have a bike with a Nexus hub on it in the house too. They are pretty sturdy and I'd expect different symptoms if the hub had some issue(s)

Start at the rear wheel skewer, then the pedals, then the crank, and then the hub.

If your rear wheel skewer is not tight enough, then you can get clicking / creaking sounds from the drivetrain. Usually won't be constrained to just one side though. And it varies with rear dropout design.  My Trek 5200 never does it, on my P3C it's the first thing I check if I hear a creak.

Oh, and check for non-mechanical sources of clicking.  Like a toe strap from your shoe whacking the crank arm.  You probably already checked that, but it's worth pointing out.

Edited by brucemorgan 2015-09-20 11:53 AM
2015-09-20 2:03 PM

User image

Master
Sunny Southern Cal

How's your left knee and ankle?    Oh wait, you're not old enough yet for that set of problems.

2015-09-20 7:05 PM

User image

Master
Kailua, Hawaii
Originally posted by Atlantia

Originally posted by metafizx

The sound is all the time, and it sounds like it is coming from near my foot. There is no disturbance, all seems to be operating smoothly aside from the noise.

My guess it is a bad pedal bearing. I've had this happen too. If it's what I'm thinking, there is a distinct "click" every rotation.
Annoying but nothing else but a sound.

I've just bought new pedals when it happened, and voila, problem solved.
2015-09-21 9:05 AM
in reply to: metafizx

User image

New user
madison, Wisconsin
Back in my bike mechanic days, this was a very common occurrence.
Chances are good that it is a loose crank arm on the spindle. If the bike was put together without grease on the spindles, the crank arm will only go on so far before it binds and feels tight. Then as things get "broken in" it slips a little (and we are talking about thousandths of an inch) causing a little play when you stroke on that side. I'm guessing the sound is a single, distinct "tick" each time you push down on that pedal. If you pull up do you also get a "tick"?
The quick fix is just to tighten that arm. Usually a 14mm socket will fit in there after you remove the dust cap. This is probably just a temporary fix. The proper fix would be to pull the crank arm and grease the spindle of the bottom bracket, then reinstall the arm. You can't pull the crank arm without a crank arm puller (only shops and bike geeks like me have them).
Hope that helps.

2015-09-21 9:16 AM
in reply to: pwoolson

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

pedal bearing or bottom bracket, if its that noticeable the LBS should be able to identify it in a jiffy.

2015-09-21 6:35 PM
in reply to: pwoolson

User image

Master
Falls Church, Virginia
Originally posted by pwoolson

Back in my bike mechanic days, this was a very common occurrence.
Chances are good that it is a loose crank arm on the spindle. If the bike was put together without grease on the spindles, the crank arm will only go on so far before it binds and feels tight. Then as things get "broken in" it slips a little (and we are talking about thousandths of an inch) causing a little play when you stroke on that side. I'm guessing the sound is a single, distinct "tick" each time you push down on that pedal. If you pull up do you also get a "tick"?
The quick fix is just to tighten that arm. Usually a 14mm socket will fit in there after you remove the dust cap. This is probably just a temporary fix. The proper fix would be to pull the crank arm and grease the spindle of the bottom bracket, then reinstall the arm. You can't pull the crank arm without a crank arm puller (only shops and bike geeks like me have them).
Hope that helps.

Thanks for the specificity!
I went to tighten the crank arm and noticed that the left pedal was quite a bit "sticky" feeling compared to the right. Perhaps this is the bearing other posters have mentioned? I'm going to see about adjusting the pedal and see how it sounds when I ride on Wednesday.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bike Clicking Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Clicking in my shoes just isn't clicking

Started by b2run
Views: 1812 Posts: 18

2013-03-28 6:33 AM nickster

clicking sound on bike - bad?

Started by amills1210
Views: 478 Posts: 2

2009-07-29 10:48 AM chile7473

Loving the AquaVitae BT Skin - Click 'Skins', then Click 'Try It"

Started by iTRI
Views: 724 Posts: 1

2005-02-11 8:23 AM iTRI

It just clicked.....

Started by Freeswimmingfish
Views: 607 Posts: 4

2004-05-03 11:06 AM triman50

Clicked too quick-how do I delete this???

Started by Irongirl
Views: 731 Posts: 1

2004-02-18 12:02 PM Irongirl
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 29, 2012
author : AMSSM
comments : 1
Painless hip clicking is usually not something to worry about. Many runners and triathletes experience intermittent painless clicking or popping in their hips and knees.

date : June 28, 2012
author : AMSSM
There are about three causes to the clicking sound in your knee, even if it doesn't hurt. Also included are some exercises to help alleviate the symptoms.
date : August 11, 2011
author : FitWerx
Dean from Fitwerx answers a BT member question about what kind of bike should be the "next bike."

date : December 27, 2008
author : FitWerx
comments : 9
Are you a beginner triathlete? This video will compare triathlon bikes and road bikes to help you figure out what is best for you as you begin your triathlon training.