General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Newbie - Used Bike Advice Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-09-20 3:08 PM

Subject: Newbie - Used Bike Advice
I'm looking to do my first sprint tri next year. I don't have a bike and no one I know has a bike that would fit me (5'2). I have a reached out to the owners on these bikes on CL:

2006 R1000 Cannondale Feminine 47cm Asking $500 - Bike guide puts it at $350
2006 R7000 Cannondale Feminine 47cm - Asking $600 - Bike guide puts it at $300
2012 Trek 7.2 FX 13" Asking $300 (with bike pump and lock) - Guide puts them $289'ish

*above my budget - 2014 Fuji 1.5 Roubaix 46cm - Asking $600 and Bike guide puts them around $550

All seem to be in my size range and I'm not aware of any gear upgrades. I'm leaning towards a road bike if I my wallet can handle it. The Cannondales are in Good condition. The Trek and Fuji are both in Excellent to Like New condition.

I've been to 2 LBS and sat on road bikes both women specific - Trek and Cannondale. I actually felt better on the Trek. Should I pull the trigger on the Cannondales if they come down on price or keep searching? Should I sit on the Fuji and try to fit it into my budget? Should I just continue my search for a used Lexa since I liked it so much? The ones I'm seeing outside my area are only $200 less than a new one.

I'm a fish out of water here....desperately seeking bike advice.

2015-09-21 5:47 PM
in reply to: booniebonnie

User image

Veteran
Southampton, Ontario
Subject: RE: Newbie - Used Bike Advice
I have bought 4 new bikes and I have bought 4 used.

Buying used is attractive because you can get a lot of bike for your buck but you have to know what to look for. A chain that is stretched could need replacement or if it was left on way too long you could need a new cassette and rings along with that chain $$$$!. New tires, cable replacement, brakes a basic tune up etc. can also add up quickly especially if you are getting a shop to do the work. If you dont know your size or how a bike should fit you are also at risk of buying something that might not be right and could be a really negative experience. Buying used is fine but I would be sure to find someone you trust to check out bikes with you.

A new bike is obviously new but you also get the benefit of dealing with bike people who can make educated recommendations on size and be sure that you fit your new bike. This can include not only adjustments but sometimes the replacement of a stem, bars or other parts to get you the best fit possible. You will also typically get at least 1 year of free service with most new bikes. Now is also a great time to shop as its the end of the season and typically shops want to get rid of this years inventory.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Newbie - Used Bike Advice Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Tri Newbie Needs Bike Advice

Started by bighouse304
Views: 848 Posts: 5

2013-06-03 4:26 PM thefixxer

Advice on buying used bike - 2006 Cervelo Dual

Started by SJerz
Views: 1462 Posts: 2

2010-07-16 4:08 PM gr8scott!!!

need advice on new used cervelo soloist team?

Started by WanabSpeedy
Views: 1292 Posts: 4

2009-02-19 2:05 PM docswim24

Used bike advice

Started by bluetri
Views: 640 Posts: 7

2006-06-21 10:15 AM bluetri

new bike vs. used bike

Started by itsgreat2bab
Views: 717 Posts: 8

2006-01-17 1:36 PM run4yrlif
RELATED ARTICLES
date : December 3, 2008
author : dexter
comments : 15
What are rollers? How can rollers help your bike training? Learn how to use your first set of rollers without doing too much bodily harm to yourself.

date : January 29, 2006
author : seveerneb
comments : 44
How to consistently come in last place and enjoy it. By a real expert.
date : November 14, 2004
author : eclaire
comments : 0
Newbie blunders teach the mind to overcome the moment, and always have fun!