General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Heart Rate Moniter Question Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-09-21 7:11 AM

User image

Subject: Heart Rate Moniter Question
I'm doing my first HIM on October 4th and have a question regarding my heart rate strap. I use the the Garmin 910xt watch and am planning on basing my bike ride off of heart rate. I understand that power would be a better benchmark than HR, but I don't have a power meter and I've trained all summer with HR and know what rate I'm looking to hold, so changing this close to race day would obviously be impractical.

My question is this: is the HR monitor/strap OK to wear in the water? I'll be wearing a wetsuit over a trisuit, so I'm not concerned about losing it - even if the strap does come undone, it should stay against my body given the tight clothing. I just want to make sure that it is water resistant/proof as I don't want to have to deal with putting it on in T1. It hasn't been an issue in previous races as this is the first time I'm wearing a trisuit, but I don't want to deal with unzipping the top in T1 to put it on. Will it be OK to wear the strap during the swim?

2015-09-21 7:19 AM
in reply to: Toffels

Subject: RE: Heart Rate Moniter Question
If it is the HRM that came with your 910xt you can swim in it. I do it in all my tri's
2015-09-21 7:45 AM
in reply to: #5142104

User image

It is the one that came with it. Thanks! I was 95% sure it'd be OK, but wanted to make absolutely sure.
2015-09-21 9:55 AM

User image

Pro
Vestavia Hills
Have never had an issue with wearing HR monitor under my singlet alone or with a wetsuit.

That said, don't be a slave to the numbers on your watch during the race. Great tool to make sure that you are not burning matches too early in the race (especially one that distance) but remember to listen to your body and how it feels.

Develop your race strategy and make adaptions on race day ... e.g. use your Garmin to pace you through the first 1/2 of the run and then run by RPE after that.

I used to be a slave to the numbers on my Garmin and my HR number. Had some good results but also think that I held myself back somewhat through fear of running out of gas before the finish line. It wasn't until that I realized that almost all of my PR's came during times that my watch malfunctioned (charging issue) or I forgot my HR strap.

Good luck on your race. Sounds like you have have been training for it ...enjoy your day!
2015-09-21 10:16 AM

Master
Northern IL

Have used several types of HR straps and all have done fine in the swim.

When considering where the HR strap sits, it had better have a good deal of water resistance.

2015-09-21 11:07 AM
in reply to: brian

User image

Pro

Originally posted by brian Have never had an issue with wearing HR monitor under my singlet alone or with a wetsuit. That said, don't be a slave to the numbers on your watch during the race. Great tool to make sure that you are not burning matches too early in the race (especially one that distance) but remember to listen to your body and how it feels. Develop your race strategy and make adaptions on race day ... e.g. use your Garmin to pace you through the first 1/2 of the run and then run by RPE after that. I used to be a slave to the numbers on my Garmin and my HR number. Had some good results but also think that I held myself back somewhat through fear of running out of gas before the finish line. ...

x2!  HR is an excellent tool.  Expect HR drift (a general elevation of your HR over time due to heat and dehydration), and also- you may surprise yourself.  It's only on race day where you find out what you're capable of- which may be more (i.e. a higher HR) than what you achieved in training.  And- then you'll have all that new data to work with.  

Have fun. Rock it!

2015-09-21 11:09 AM
in reply to: #5142110

User image

Thanks for the great advice everyone! I've got a heart rate I'm shooting for on the bike, but it's not set in stone. I figure if I come out of the swim feeling pretty gassed, I'll back off for the first quarter to third of the race and slowly ramp up to my target heart rate. Likewise, if I'm feeling strong in the last third to quarter of the bike, I'll likely up the heart rate to get a faster time.

The run will be done almost exclusively on RPE - I don't even have a data field on my watch for HR on the run. The water stops/aid stations are spaced at every 1.5 miles on the run, and I'm planning on walking through every one. I've got a solid run/walk plan in mind that has worked well for me in training - run 1 mile, walk 1/10, run to the water stop at 1.5 miles, walk 1/10, run 1 mile, walk 1/10, run to the water stop at 3 miles, walk 1/10, etc. That said, even though it's worked well in training, I'm not married to it and will walk more if I feel I need it. I'm not necessarily expecting but I'm thinking it's very possible that the run to the first water stop might look more like run 1/2 mile, walk 1/10, run 1/2, walk 1/10, run to the water stop. I'm OK with this as I know from bricks and Sprints that it takes me close to a mile to get my running legs underneath me, so I'm ok with walking more in the first 1.5 miles. I'm hoping that if that happens I can get back to plan after the first water stop, but if I feel I need to I'll drop my runs to 1/2 mile for the entire race.

Again, thanks for the advice and support! I'm getting very excited but also very nervous about this race and just wish it'd hurry up and get here.
2015-09-21 6:12 PM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by Toffels Thanks for the great advice everyone! I've got a heart rate I'm shooting for on the bike, but it's not set in stone. I figure if I come out of the swim feeling pretty gassed, I'll back off for the first quarter to third of the race and slowly ramp up to my target heart rate. Likewise, if I'm feeling strong in the last third to quarter of the bike, I'll likely up the heart rate to get a faster time. ...

The nice thing about a HIM is that you'll probably be riding easier than you did in most of your training rides.  Well below threshold HR.  You can basically just 'enjoy' the ride, as you wanna' come off that bike, with plenty left to run a HM.  Most important thing about the bike leg: get your hydration and nutrition in then- as it's harder to stomach stuff during the run.

you'll be fine.  have fun.

2015-09-21 9:50 PM

Originally posted by brian

but remember to listen to your body and how it feels.

I think that's precisely why people use HRM & power meters because their body might feel great despite the fact they're going harder than they should, your body lets you know you went too hard when it's too late. Case in point a 70.3 I did last year, I wasn't using a HRM or PM, just relying on my speedo and "how I felt". Was really comfortable at 36km/hr, felt like I could ride like that all day, until I got to 80kms and then I suddenly went from feeling as fresh as a daisy to very flat and devoid of energy. Like a switch was flicked. And that was me done. The run leg was a struggle from the first 1km. If I'd had a HRM it would have told me I was going too hard. There must be thousands of people who have done similar things.
2015-09-25 10:35 PM

Do you wear the heart rate monitor and strap under the wetsuit, or just the strap and snap on the HR monitor in T1?

Trying to learn from your thread, partner. Best of luck. 70.3 for me in 2016.
2015-09-26 12:06 AM
in reply to: cjiminez

User image

Extreme Veteran
Put on the whole thing under my tri kit, under my wetsuit.

All I gotta do is peel off the wetsuit, put on my bike shoes and helmet+glasses ( or in races where I can have the shoes attached to the bike, i just put on the helmet+glasses )

2015-09-26 3:03 AM
in reply to: #5142166

Cool. Thanks for the advice.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Heart Rate Moniter Question Rss Feed