General Discussion Race Reports! » XTERRA ALABAMA GADSDEN 15K TRAIL RUN Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

XTERRA ALABAMA GADSDEN 15K TRAIL RUN - Run

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Gadsden, Alabama
United States
Dirty Spokes
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 28m 33s
Overall Rank = 34/
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 5/
Pre-race routine:

Long release grains (muesli, oatmeal, granola, etc), coffee and a sports drink continue to be the pre-race breakfast of choice.
Event warmup:

It was an hour drive and I was running late ...so the stress probably was my warm-up!
Run
  • 1h 28m 33s
  • 15 kms
  • 05m 54s  min/km
Comments:

Seeded myself closer to the front in the hopes of not ceding time off the bat like last week. Also let my legs run instead of holding back ...which is what allowed for a ~:30/mile gain in pace despite a somewhat more difficult course.

The problem with trail races is that it is not like a road race when you have some idea of how to pace yourself knowing that the large hills are identified. Trail races are unpredictable and you essentially have to run the course that they have laid out for you.

This course was a lot of fun - challenging and varied (see course description) - and therefore difficult to pace via a Garmin. I instead used RPE and while an acquired skill it is somewhat liberating.

Still have not done a HR test to garner accurate HR Zones - and think that might be making a difference in learning how to gauge RPE.

Ran relaxed and instead of focusing on form I let my legs run as they will and feet fall without concentrating on rolling off my toes.
What would you do differently?:

Foot strike per minute is still 20% lower than it should be ..not sure how to fix that through training - going to have to research some drills for the best solutions,
Post race
Warm down:

Banana, water and a protein Powerboat

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Endurance ...until I rebuild my cardio engine and further strengthen my legs I am going to peak out roughly where I am running now. The next batch of finishers were almost a full :60 seconds per mile fast than me -- so I have my work cut out for me in order to get to the next level.

That said, think I also need to introduce some speed work in to the mix. Not only will it help elevate my LT, etc ... it would also enable me to better "feel" the spanse of RPE.

Event comments:

I really like these Dirty Spokes races - well organized, well thought out, well executed -- but yet still laid back.

Last updated: 2015-08-24 12:00 AM
Running
01:28:33 | 15 kms | 05m 54s  min/km
Age Group: 3/
Overall: 34/
Performance: Good
Course: Somewhat more difficult than Red Mountain as there was more elevation gain/loss - but as technical when it comes to roots and pathway obstructions. Lots of rock to dodge and/or pick around ...as well as a dry creek bed, a hill to climb called "Platinum") and a descent that required the use of a rope to scale down the continuation of a trail. The Gadsden Runners Club did a great job showing local support for the race as well as volunteering
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2015-09-21 9:36 AM

User image

Pro
Vestavia Hills
Subject: XTERRA ALABAMA GADSDEN 15K TRAIL RUN
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » XTERRA ALABAMA GADSDEN 15K TRAIL RUN Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

XTERRA Crystal Cove Trail Run 15K

Started by Lar Dog
Views: 1048 Posts: 1

2014-03-30 11:07 AM Lar Dog

XTERRA 15k & 5k Trail Run at Monte Sano State Park

Started by mbehr1983
Views: 857 Posts: 1

2013-01-14 9:40 AM mbehr1983

Xterra Marathon of Trail races Trail Run

Started by lonoscurse
Views: 1059 Posts: 1

2011-10-10 2:09 PM lonoscurse

“Dirty Bird” 15K Trail Run

Started by carrie1
Views: 1137 Posts: 1

2007-12-02 2:09 PM carrie1

Barr Lake Boogie 15k Trail Run

Started by Mile High Marc
Views: 892 Posts: 2

2006-10-14 10:31 PM spokes
RELATED ARTICLES
date : November 15, 2011
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 0
Recipes for Oatmeal Pancakes, Carrot Apple Muffins, Sugar and Spice Pecans and Crunchy Trail Mix

date : July 28, 2011
author : AMSSM
I can train for half marathons on pavement and on trails, but as soon as I change it up to gravel or loose dirt my knee swells and the pain it causes is unreal. Any ideas why this happens?
date : October 29, 2008
author : mrakes1
Triathlon nutrition discussions on trail mixes and calories, regular skim milk vs. organic skim milk vs. soy milk and whey protein.

date : November 20, 2007
author : Lorenzomtb
comments : 1
Immediately I felt attracted by the challenge. I have done plenty of biking this summer and a new motivation, particularly toward the end of the summer, was what I needed.
date : September 3, 2006
author : morgoth7
My 1st triathlon, Xterra and the mess I made of myself. This wasn’t your regular triathlon, it was off-road.

date : January 29, 2006
author : seveerneb
comments : 44
How to consistently come in last place and enjoy it. By a real expert.
date : June 14, 2005
author : PirateGirl
The XTERRA off-road triathlons consist of a lake swim, a mountain bike trail ride, and a trail run. I decided to try the AZ Xtreme Desert XTERRA Tri as my 1st off-road triathlon, and my 3rd tri ever.

date : October 17, 2004
author : smeeko
Discover the joys of trail running while also giving your body many benefits.