General Discussion Race Reports! » Preferred Care Rochester Half Marathon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Preferred Care Rochester Half Marathon - Run

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Rochester, New York
United States
Yellow Jacket Racing
52F / 11C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 00m 50s
Overall Rank = 685/2186
Age Group = 50 - 54
Age Group Rank = 45/104
Pre-race routine:

Up and breakfast before heading to the race. Stopped at Timmy Ho's for a bathroom break and another coffee.
Event warmup:

Rode the bus from finish line to the start about 2 miles away. Tried to stretch out cranky IT band and sore legs from Saturday boot camp.
Run
  • 2h 00m 50s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 09m 13s  min/mile
Comments:

I lined up behind the 4 hour marathon pacer as the marathon was starting the same time and doing 2 loops. I figured the 2 hour HM pacer was in there some place. Went with the flow (fairly slow) as we started. Finally spread out a bit as we were getting to the river path. Feeling pretty good running along with 8:4ish pace. The first half of the race has some rollers but is primarily down hill along the west side of the river. Kind of a neat part of Rochester I have never been in. The race used the river paved path which at one point was several hundred yards of bridge over the Genesee River.

Almost to the lake we move up off the path onto some city streets before crossing over to the east side of the river. Once headed south on Thomas Road (I think that was the name) we hit the first significant hill which wasn't terribly steep, but lasted about a mile and a half. From here it was mostly uphill, with the occasional downhill until we returned to the park we started at. Pace was starting to drag. This is where the marathon participants broke off for a second loop.

The half continued south and back onto the river path. A little bit of downhill through this section, but mostly flat along the river. It was through here that I was passed by the 2 hour pace leader. I tried to keep up, but couldn't. After we crossed the bridge at the RG & E hydro electric plant we had a significantly steep up hill to the main roads. Steep enough that it was just as effective to walk the hill.

From here about a mile and a half of flat to slight downhill to the finish.

Disappointed not to break 2 hours.
What would you do differently?:

Lose the 20 pounds I put on since IM Chatt last year. Working on it.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around some, had a little chocolate milk and a slice of pizza/

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Weight and generally slack training this summer.

Event comments:

Yellow jacket puts on a good race, they have had practice. This was a new course for this race. A lot more challenging than the old one, but nice to see new places.

Last updated: 2015-07-25 12:00 AM
Running
02:00:50 | 13.1 miles | 09m 13s  min/mile
Age Group: 45/104
Overall: 685/2186
Performance: Average
Course: Loop up to the lake then back down the east side of the river.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2015-09-21 12:41 PM

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
Subject: Preferred Care Rochester Half Marathon

2015-09-22 7:01 AM
in reply to: #5142195

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio
Subject: RE: Preferred Care Rochester Half Marathon

Those hills sound brutal.  That steep one at mile 12?  YIKES, just thinking of a hill that bad at the end of a HM (and for the full marathoners at mile 24 when their legs re dead) is crazy!  Nice work!!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Preferred Care Rochester Half Marathon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Preferred Care Rochester Half Marathon

Started by cjbliss
Views: 919 Posts: 1

2009-09-14 9:09 AM cjbliss

Started by tolefanjh
Views: 1548 Posts: 3

2009-09-15 4:23 AM kenj

Started by ltbrown1
Views: 850 Posts: 1

2009-09-13 7:07 PM ltbrown1

Started by denise14
Views: 1116 Posts: 1

2009-01-22 8:48 AM denise14

Started by marmadaddy
Views: 1708 Posts: 9

2007-09-21 9:45 PM Birkierunner
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 28, 2015
author : hadleyusa
comments : 1
Training for a specific running event is not as easy as it might seem. Here are some tips and a weekly plan to avoid overtraining and to improve your performance.

date : September 24, 2012
comments : 1
Your wetsuit is a substantial investment, and proper care will extend its life considerably.
date : May 24, 2010
author : Coach AJ
comments : 0
My question is am I playing with fire entering the half marathon this close to my primary goal for this season which is the HIM?

date : November 17, 2008
author : mat steinmetz
comments : 7
I just started doing tris this summer and I have two under my belt, both sprints. Is it reasonable to build up for a Oly in early ‘09, with a HIM in Oct of ‘09
date : June 10, 2008
author : kns57
Steady is our walk. Ignoring the pain that is radiating from my feet, I continue to place one foot in front of the other. Again I wonder, “Why am I doing this?”

date : July 10, 2007
author : Ontherun
Having three seasons under my belt I thought I knew what I was doing. That all changed with a few new challenges and a bunch of new friends.
date : October 24, 2005
author : mikericci
This program should be used for an athlete whose goal is to run a marathon in the 1:30-2:30 range and has a good running base in the past 8-12 weeks.

date : October 2, 2005
author : smeeko
comments : 2
I will assume you have not run consistently more than 6 miles and have never completed a half-marathon. I believe running your first half-marathon is a big task which requires dedication and work.