General Discussion Triathlon Talk » recommendation for first 140.6? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-09-21 11:54 PM

User image

Subject: recommendation for first 140.6?
I am ready for it- the full IM! I am 23 years old, just completed Eagleman HIM (maryland) and the Patriot's HIM (virginia). Honestly couldn't have felt more prepared. Training went well and crushed it race day, both mentally and physically. I am ready to step up to the next level. I want to do a full ironman next fall. Does anyone have any recommendations for a good first full distance? Something with a challenge yet do-able for my first one?

In case anyone asks I have done a number of other tri's as well as 3 (going on 4 in october) marathons.

Ellen

2015-09-22 12:18 PM
in reply to: ellen1632

Master
, California
Subject: RE: recommendation for first 140.6?

It comes down to asking yourself what you're looking for in a race.

Flat vs hilly?Travel distance?
Time of year?
Cost of lodging? (and other costs)

I've driven to a couple races, flown to one in the U.S., and flown to a couple overseas.  So, to make your first race easier, a couple thoughts:

- Driving to a race (which I did for my first 2) is the most convenient option.  It's easy to bring your bike, all the tools you could want, and you just have less to worry about.

- If you're looking to expand a bit, you can pick a race in the U.S. that's supported by Tri Bike Transport.  It'll cost a little more but taking the bike out of your travel plans makes life SO much easier.  I used them for Tahoe and they were great.

- If you really want to go overseas you'll need to get a bike box and practice a little disassembly / reassembly.  If you do this, once again, think about paying a bit extra for something like Endurance Sports Travel to support you.  They handle all your ground transport and have mechanics on staff.

Honestly I'm glad I did a nearby race for my first one.  It made logistics simpler and made it easier for my family to come out and support me which is huge.

2015-09-22 3:06 PM
in reply to: spudone

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

As said above - there are some criteria you need to think about. The number of 140.6 races out there has grown incredibly over the last number of years. And it can make it tough to say which is best. 

I did Mont-Tremblant as my first and only IM and it is a wonderful venue. Lots of pros to this race: the ski village itself is a great pro - all kinds of lodging basically right at the finish line. Picturesque bike course with some good hills but not too crazy.  Though, on the cons side: it's pretty far for you ... 

I've been out to spectate at the old Ironman Canada - now Challenge Penticton which is also beautiful but there is not going to be a 140.6 in 2016. 

I am sure others can chime in on other races but in general there are so many good races - you probably want to pinpoint a time of year and decide whether or not you want Ironman brand or not. And narrow it down from there. 

Best of luck - it's an exciting journey! 

2015-09-22 3:15 PM

User image

Master
Kailua, Hawaii
and adding to what Spudone said...

I'd consider when your best training period is going to be, in terms of weather and any other factors (job, family, etc) that might interrupt a long plan like IM. For example, I usually pick a mid-summer, or early fall race because it's the best period for me to get the training in. I did a race in early Dec, but it was difficult to get the long rides in due to weather issues (unless you don't mind riding the trainer for 4+ hours)

The thing that makes IM hard, is the long intense training you need to get done, especially the last 2-1/2 months. This is what makes it much different than a HIM..its a big jump.
2015-09-23 2:37 PM
in reply to: metafizx

User image

Edmond, Oklahoma
There are some race reports for Beach to Battleship Tri in Wilmington, NC. The course is flat, within driving distance of your location and saves money by driving. The race reports speak favorably about the event.

Good Luck.

2015-09-24 2:49 PM
in reply to: lake

User image

Master
Crab Cake City
congrats on taking the next step!!!

To second Jens comments, I also did IMMT as my first IM and it was an amazing experience!!! I live in MD (I assume you are east coaster by doing Eagleman and Patriots) and it was about a 10-11hr drive from our place. My wife and I turned it into a fun road trip and stopped in Lake George, NY, Saratoga Springs and Montreal on the way up to do some fun stuff.

As for the venue. I am bias but its the best venue ever! Lots of friends of mine have raced multiple IM's and all agree IMMT is our favorite. Housing is plentiful and cheap. We got a 5 BR condo that slept 12 for under $2,500 for the whole week and it had pools and hot tubs as well as a shuttle to and from the village. Most lodging options are within walking distance to the venue. Staying in the pedestrian village makes it the easiest IM around as you are no more then a few hundred feet from the finish line, transition, swim start, etc. Everyone up that way is super nice and loves Ironman. Amazing crowd and town support and an awesome down hill finish that is so hard to beat. Lots of food options and lots of family and kids activities in the pedestrian village and immediate area if you will be traveling with family/friends. Overall, its an great race with a calm lake swim, butter smooth roads and a great and scenic run course. The bike course is hilly but not too bad as its only 3 roads and you can stay aero 90% of the time.

To echo what others have said, choosing your first IM needs to be special to you. You need to decide what kind of course, time of year, pricing, travel, etc. I liked IMMT because I had all spring and summer to train and the race is toward the end of August, was a lake swim, driveable, a unique destination that I have never been to before so we could make a vacation out of it, got great reviews all across the board and moderate temps.

I wish you luck in making your decision. Use the race report section of the site and watch youtube videos to inspire you and help you make your decision.

2015-10-07 11:07 AM
in reply to: dmbfan4life20

User image

Champion
Whizzzzzlandia
Silver member

I can't recommend IMWI enough.

Beautiful hilly, technical bike course. GREAT SPECTATOR SUPPORT.

Awesome, friendly city.

I've done it 3x and have been to other race venues including Lake Placid, Coeur D'Alene, Arizona and Texas and Madison is by far my favorite.

Weather is usually good. It's in early September, so you've got all summer to prepare.

Think about it. You will never regret choosing Madison!

2015-10-07 8:05 PM
in reply to: Whizzzzz

User image

IMCDA!!!- I've done it twice, largely because the course is beautiful and challenging and the town is all in as far as supporting the race.Added bonus: because it is a fairly small town it is super easy to stay close to the athlete's village/ near all of the race day excitement for a reasonable price. The finish line is amazing! I can't think of a better place to become an Ironman!
2015-10-08 6:22 AM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

Given you're on the East Coast and want to do a fall race, target B2B.  Relatively small race in Wilmington, NC but well run.  

Swim:  Downhill the whole way.  (They usually set up the race to swim with favorable tides.  I swam 48:00 where I'm usually 1:10.)

Bike:  Flat single loop.  Not pancake flat, and not so windy as many "flat" courses.  

Run:  2 loop run mostly around a big lake in town.  

2015-10-13 11:25 AM
in reply to: McFuzz

I have been looking at races for 2017. I know some of these questions have been put out before but:-

how do the swims compare on the three IM below (i.e. wesuit legal or not?)

IMMT
IMCHAT
IM LOU

Thanks for any input you may have.
2015-10-14 6:46 AM
in reply to: axelle

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cypress, TX

Chattanooga has a current so it's by far the easiest swim.

2015-10-14 9:00 AM

I would suggest IM Lou-- nicest swim start,, great finish.. course is a bit hilly but less anxiety in the water to start..my 2 cents
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » recommendation for first 140.6? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

B2B or ChesapeakeMan for first 140.6?

Started by bobbyzat
Views: 4223 Posts: 15

2010-10-30 9:16 AM sk2a2005

140.6 days until IM WI !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Started by Birkierunner
Views: 1545 Posts: 14

2007-04-23 7:54 AM Birkierunner

140.6 Movie at ultrasport.tv...Check It out

Started by BadgerIronMan
Views: 1398 Posts: 8

2006-07-10 11:01 PM captantony

Sub 8 hr 140.6 get a $100K Pages: 1 2

Started by crusevegas
Views: 2412 Posts: 29

2006-05-30 7:42 AM crusevegas

17 weeks to go (140.6 miles)

Started by dragoman
Views: 1597 Posts: 6

2005-01-18 9:52 PM charles81
RELATED ARTICLES
date : December 19, 2013
author : AMSSM
comments : 1
Don't power through your off season! Rest and take it easy. Our doctors tell you why rest is important, how long to rest, and what training and exercises you should be doing.

date : April 22, 2009
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 0
Find out which sports nutrition practices effectively enhance performance. What and when you eat powerfully impacts how well you can perform.
date : April 2, 2006
author : TriDoc5280
comments : 2
This article will cover the basics on the nutritional needs of athletes and will include some standard recommendations from neutral bodies.