General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Tips for Swimming in Current Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-09-22 8:54 AM

User image

Subject: Tips for Swimming in Current
I have the Morro Bay Triathlon coming up. I read in the race reports that the 2014 swim leg had a huge problem with current. I've been canoeing in Morro Bay with my boys during a strong tide with high wind, and it can really take the will to fight out of you.

So, any tips for dealing with it? My hope is that there is some magic stroke or kick that will help out.

2015-09-22 9:15 AM
in reply to: azuro

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada
Subject: RE: Tips for Swimming in Current

If you are going into a current, don't stop to rest as the moment you do you lose ground.  If you are going across a current, aim yourself upstream of your target and let it carry you towards where you want to end up.  How much obviously depends on the strength of the current.

I don't think there is any magic you can apply to your stroke to improve things.

Good luck and have fun!

2015-09-22 9:19 AM

User image

Master
Bellevue, WA

Go with the flow. :-)

2015-09-22 9:21 AM

User image

How did the currents cause a problem, swimming against current or sideways current? I tired a quick search but couldn't find the reports. There's no magic bullet here but might be able to offer some guidance.
2015-09-22 9:47 AM
in reply to: Goggles Pizzano

User image

There was apparently a large amount of incoming tide, mixed with an onshore flow that pushed more water. It looks like the swim goes a little closer to shore, so I don't know if that will fix some of the problem.
2015-09-22 9:51 AM
in reply to: axteraa

User image

Originally posted by axteraa

If you are going into a current, don't stop to rest as the moment you do you lose ground.  If you are going across a current, aim yourself upstream of your target and let it carry you towards where you want to end up.  How much obviously depends on the strength of the current.

I don't think there is any magic you can apply to your stroke to improve things.

Good luck and have fun!

Thanks! I don't know why, but swimming and biking against the flow is what really rattles my bird cage.

It does look like they made every effort to aim swimmers in a way that avoids most of the incoming tide, and the possible wind-driven current as well. They can only do so much, though.

It's not like I would quit or anything. I was just hoping to get the ideal stroke or something if there was one.

2015-09-22 10:15 AM

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by azuro
Originally posted by axteraa

Good luck and have fun!

Thanks! I don't know why, but swimming and biking against the flow is what really rattles my bird cage. It does look like they made every effort to aim swimmers in a way that avoids most of the incoming tide, and the possible wind-driven current as well. They can only do so much, though. It's not like I would quit or anything. I was just hoping to get the ideal stroke or something if there was one.

Just keep swimming the best you know how. If there was a technique in the stroke that worked better in the current we would do that all the time.

The technique to watch for is in the sighting, as was mentioned, as the current can push you some depending on its direction.

2015-09-22 10:43 AM

User image

Exton, PA
Swim fast, don't stop!

The only real thing that can help when there is a current is if you are swimming close to shore or some structure you can get into an eddy current.

You kind of have to understand where the flow is coming from and where the possible eddy currents would occur. If you understand this you can use it to your advantage.

Kayaking the coarse at similar tides to when the event will be held can help you out.

The wind won't have much effect on you when swimming.
2015-09-22 3:05 PM
in reply to: mike761

User image

Regular
Central Coast, CA

I did the Morro Bay Olympic course last year and yes, the combination of strong offshore wind (15-20 mph) and the tide shift made for a strong current. By the time I passed the same channel marker 3 times I realized I was done and harbor patrol pulled me out of the water. The course for this years event looks to be much better. by having it shorter (2 laps for Oly) and closer to shore it should mitigate much of the current.

2015-09-22 5:50 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Brooklyn, New York
I just spent the last month purposefully training in windy/wavy/tidy current conditions. Against current is frustrating because you feel like you're on some water treadmill, BUT, don't fight the water, you're not flowing upstream against a river like a salmon, which means there's an ebb and flow, a sort of nuance to the feel of the water. Feel your moments of momentum and increase stroke rate a bit to gain some ground in those opportunities, don't over stroke and fight certain moments where you won't be able to win anyway, and all you'll do is waste extra energy. When and if there are swell-like waves, where you feel yourself rising in the water you could almost coast up the swell with calm stroke and then increase a bit at peak and into the downside of the swell and you can gain forward momentum from it. The more I swam in these conditions the more in-tune I got with the water, it transformed me.
When it's pure current, remember everyone is dealing with it, it WILL MAKE EVERYONE slower, so keep your rhythm and pick your moments, and keep kicking! I found that wetsuit buoyancy and the tri swim approach sometimes makes a kick less concerted. You need to keep a hard steady flutter through current.

Hope it helps. YOU WILL be stronger from this experience in incessant conditions

Edited by TJHammer 2015-09-22 5:53 PM
2015-09-23 8:38 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
I guess similar to above. For some reason I do really well at races with an offshore current (where you have to fight your way to the finish or the the end of each lap.) I'm not an outstanding swimmer in calm water, but in one such race I was the first non-pro woman out of the water. And it's not because I'm big and powerful.. I'm guessing it has to do with my stroke--relative to a lot of other swimmers, I have a fairly high stroke rate and not a really big distance per stroke (22-24/25m in the pool), also probably more of a kick in open water. For some reason this works well when going against a current. Beyond that, a lot of it is mental--don't freak when you don't seem to be going anywhere. In that particular race I saw people having meltdowns in T1 over how tough the swim was. Just remind yourself that everyone is in the same situation. There are ebbs and flows to it and eventually you will get there. Like "Finding Nemo"--just keep swimming!

Edited by Hot Runner 2015-09-23 8:39 AM

2015-09-23 11:28 AM
in reply to: TJHammer

User image

Pro
Vestavia Hills
Originally posted by TJHammer

I just spent the last month purposefully training in windy/wavy/tidy current conditions. Against current is frustrating because you feel like you're on some water treadmill, BUT, don't fight the water, you're not flowing upstream against a river like a salmon, which means there's an ebb and flow, a sort of nuance to the feel of the water. Feel your moments of momentum and increase stroke rate a bit to gain some ground in those opportunities, don't over stroke and fight certain moments where you won't be able to win anyway, and all you'll do is waste extra energy. When and if there are swell-like waves, where you feel yourself rising in the water you could almost coast up the swell with calm stroke and then increase a bit at peak and into the downside of the swell and you can gain forward momentum from it. The more I swam in these conditions the more in-tune I got with the water, it transformed me.
When it's pure current, remember everyone is dealing with it, it WILL MAKE EVERYONE slower, so keep your rhythm and pick your moments, and keep kicking! I found that wetsuit buoyancy and the tri swim approach sometimes makes a kick less concerted. You need to keep a hard steady flutter through current.

Hope it helps. YOU WILL be stronger from this experience in incessant conditions

This is really good advice. During the swim at the 2009 USAT Age Group Nationals in Tuscaloosa someone had the bright idea to release water from the dam on the Warrior River as the swim was starting ...meaning the current was ridiculously strong (the picture on my training log was taken when exiting the water: 40 minute swim for an Oly!). The current was so strong that you had to hold on to the dock for the in water start lest you get carried away.

It bears emphasizing that you (a) do not want to stop and (b) you will want to shorten your stroke while increasing your stroke count. The typical swim stroke has you reaching through the water to glide on your rails in order to take advantage of the momentum created. This will not work in a current as it will immediately push you back.

Shorten your stroke so that you get to the pull faster and then emphasize the pull instead of the glide (if that makes sense).

Also, sage advice about knowing that the current effects everyone. Don't let the extra time it takes to complete the swim mess with your race day plan and instead take it as it is and move on through T1 ...after all the swim just gets you to the bike!

Have a great race!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Tips for Swimming in Current Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

IMLP swim start tips or any 2500+ mass swim start tips...if any Pages: 1 2

Started by FELTGood
Views: 4385 Posts: 30

2013-09-07 12:41 PM FELTGood

swimming against a strong current

Started by eggraid101
Views: 3902 Posts: 13

2019-09-23 1:07 PM xeon

Swimming in a strong current

Started by Bioteknik
Views: 633 Posts: 3

2009-06-15 6:22 PM Bioteknik

Tip or not to Tip Pages: 1 2

Started by sgoehner
Views: 3524 Posts: 47

2007-10-04 2:51 PM KRASH187

Swimming tips Pages: 1 2

Started by tmwelshy
Views: 1994 Posts: 26

2004-03-30 2:52 PM tmwelshy
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 16, 2014
author : funkj25
comments : 0
The open water swim can be one of the scariest or most fun parts of your race. Use these four tips to take a little fear out of the water and turn it into more of an enjoyable experience.

date : March 4, 2009
author : nevergivin
comments : 5
Benefits of an underwater swim clinic to help correct your swimming stroke - plus a few swim tips to be mindful of.
date : April 11, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
comments : 1
Have a goal when you get into the water. If your purpose is distance, then set your pace for endurance. If your objective is speed, then incorporate drills.

date : March 20, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
Relaxing during the swim. Relaxing the muscles that you are not using is the topic of this month’s swimming tip.
date : June 6, 2006
author : marmadaddy
The DVD assumes little-to-no experience with competitive swimming and starts off in the pool citing the need to build confidence in a controlled environment.

date : October 2, 2005
author : Tri Swim Coach
The start for everyone is a crazy cluster of splashing. Here are some tips to deal with what some consider being the toughest part of any triathlon.
date : January 10, 2005
author : Ken
comments : 7
Don't worry, you can't do anything that hasn't been done before. Read this article for some humorous insights of one triathlete's introduction to the sport.

date : August 31, 2004
author : smeeko
Drafting, open water swimming, hydration bricks and aero bar tips for your first Olympic triathlon race.