General Discussion Race Reports! » TriRock San Diego - Olympic Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

TriRock San Diego - Olympic Course - Triathlon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
San Diego, California
United States
Competitor Group
85F / 29C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 38m 23s
Overall Rank = 101/380
Age Group = 50-54
Age Group Rank = 6/25
Pre-race routine:

Only my second triathlon. Brought the wife with me from out of town and stayed in a hotel. Wasn't really able to eat, rest or concentrate the way I wanted to the night before, oh well. I need the wife's buy in on all this so it was better I brought her. Evening routine assembling gear, placing stickers on bike and helmet. Morning routine revolves around hydration, eating and, well, pooping. Drank coffee and some First Endurance Ultragen. Worked fine. Put race tats on. pump up bike tires. Lubed up the crotch, nipples and chest/shoulder/neck rub areas with Body glide. Worked great. Mixed up two 10oz bottles of EFS to have in transition.
Event warmup:

Assigned bike rack spots corresponding with your bib number. Lay out stuff once in transition. Mill about. Hit the Porta potties. Bring some individual wet wipes next time. Wore my thinner pad bib bicycle shorts and 2XU tri top. Not fashionable like the others but worked great. Sunscreen it up, seriously, the sun got pretty intense later.
Swim
  • 30m 32s
  • 1500 meters
  • 02m 02s / 100 meters
Comments:

Last mens age group. Came upon slower swimmers. Didn't turn tight enough at the right turn buoy and was off by myself for a while. Would have had a better swim time without that. Sun coming up straight into eyes made sighting even more difficult for me. No wetsuit yet. Water plenty warm.
What would you do differently?:

Bring lighter goggles. Had blue tinted goggles that aren't all that dark in midday sun but was a little too dark for 0630 lighting.
Transition 1
  • 03m 51s
Comments:

It had a pretty long run from the stairs entry/exit from the water to the transition area. Dried off feet, pulled on low socks and bike shoes. Almost slipped and fell last tri running in carbon bike shoes with look cleats. This time switched pedals to the more the MTB style shimanos I had with more recessed cleats in the shoes and ran way better. Didn't see any performance reduction on bike portion with "lower budget" clips and shoes. Sucked down one bottle of the EFS electrolyte drink before I left my spot. No cramping issues. That stuff works awesome!
Bike
  • 1h 05m 27s
  • 22 miles
  • 20.17 mile/hr
Comments:

Road was very rough and tons of turns. Some girl munched it in a big pothole. I had access to tri bike but chose my road bike due to all the turns. Worked great. Had a GU about 5 minutes into the ride and then another in the last ten minutes of ride. Drank whole 20oz bottle of plain water.
What would you do differently?:

Acted more like a bike racer and would get up out of the saddle and crank it to get back up to speed after the turns. Next time just chill, stay seated and take it a little slower getting back up to speed and save more of the legs for the run.
Transition 2
  • 01m 57s
Comments:

No fancy high speed landings. Just came to a complete stop, and got both feet firmly on ground before jogging with bike into transition area. Had the bungee cord laces on my running shoes which really helped getting into them quickly. Last time it was a pain tying them in a rush and being bent over that long after the bike. Best $4 investment. Stuffed another GU in my rear pocket, put my hat on( it was sunny and hot by then), grabbed the TYR race belt and started jogging and clipped it on the go.
Run
  • 56m 36s
  • 6 miles
  • 09m 26s  min/mile
Comments:

Have only run 10k or longer a couple of times before so this was a learning race for me. Felt fine. It felt like a pretty slow pace but I've only taken up running this year. Tried not to push too fast too soon. The knee was pretty tired by mile 5. I knew I would finish but wasn't going to be able to crush that last mile like I wanted. Passed a few people right at the end. Totally congested at the finish so the thrill of victory finish line photo was non-existent.
Post race
Warm down:

Met the wife, kiss/hug. It's really nice having someone there for you. Just happy race was over. Milled about some more. Had to wait to get back into transition for security purposes so just hydrated and lay down in the shade.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I actually might wear my calf compression socks on the next event to see if that helps with overall leg freshness and the knee issue. It's not going to make me look any more goofy than I already did.

Event comments:

2015 Tri-Rock San Diego. Had read reports on here saying it was a little lacking compared to other events. Transition area talk said same thing and that way fewer entrants than the glory days. Oh well. Still big turnout ~1300 people total. It was only my second tri and this one was bigger and a little more stressful than the first one. Perfect cause I need that. I thought the road conditions were pretty rough. Overall it was a good event for me to attend but could see how the more experienced would find it less than stellar.

Last updated: 2015-09-22 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:30:32 | 1500 meters | 02m 02s / 100meters
Age Group: 3/25
Overall: 0/380
Performance: Good
Suit: None
Course: Rectangular. One loop
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 74F / 23C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Below average
T1
Time: 03:51
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:05:27 | 22 miles | 20.17 mile/hr
Age Group: 9/25
Wind: None
Course: 22 miles over city streets and nearby military base. Streets were closed to traffic for the most part so felt safe that way. Some serious dips going from street to driveways and back. Had to pull the front wheel up several times over those transitions and had a few hard brakings when I hadn't seen some coming.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:57
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:56:36 | 06 miles | 09m 26s  min/mile
Age Group: 8/25
Performance: Average
Course: 2 loops along the seaboard. Was right up next to joggers, shoppers, diners at cafes and a few homeless folks. 2 or 3 water stations along the 3 mile loop so you see them all a second time too.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2015-09-22 3:32 PM

User image

Subject: TriRock San Diego - Olympic Course
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » TriRock San Diego - Olympic Course Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

TriRock San Diego - Olympic Course

Started by Bob_A
Views: 1021 Posts: 1

2014-09-22 12:40 PM Bob_A

Started by SportzVision
Views: 1407 Posts: 4

2012-09-18 7:36 PM BigDH

Started by lmhutch86
Views: 1378 Posts: 3

2012-09-14 4:22 PM MichelleK

Started by gluyas
Views: 1034 Posts: 1

2011-09-29 7:50 PM gluyas

Started by SportzVision
Views: 1417 Posts: 1

2011-09-17 10:16 PM SportzVision
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 18, 2013
author : alicefoeller
comments : 0
BT amateurs compete in San Diego race on the world stage.

date : February 5, 2008
author : Team BT
comments : 0
Complete course preview of the North East triathlon on 8/17/2008 featuring a Sprint and a Olympic distance race. Mark your calendars!
date : December 3, 2007
author : Team BT
comments : 1
Complete course preview of the New Jersey State triathlon featuring a Sprint and a Olympic distance race. Mark your calendars!