Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2015-09-25 10:56 AM
in reply to: 3mar

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Training Like a Swimmer
Originally posted by 3mar

I think I figured out a couple of things. One is that the one-on-one coaching I was seeing is surprisingly expensive, so that would be why there is no time spent doing sets. If you're paying over $200 for an hour of someone's time, you're most definitely not going to spend 40 minutes doing 100 repeats. That explains why so little time is spent just swimming and it's all drills and exercises.

I couldn't get to my normal pool this morning so I ended up at the one that Jon Olsen coaches, and since I was late there was just me and a new guy that was an ex swimmer of some kind (college I'm assuming because he was going pretty darn fast for a first day back...give him a week and I'm sure he'd be faster than me) so he had us swim together. He gave us a variation of the workout he had for the masters team, and lo and behold, it had UDK, which my first attempts at were not that great. When doing it as instructed, the only way I can explain it is; it made my abs feel like they do when you throw up...like 1,000 sit ups. I can totally see the merit in that.

Lastly, I think I do my sets on too slow of intervals. He was setting the pace for us and it was a lot lest rest than I would normally take. So some good takeaways overall.

swimming with people slightly faster is by far the best way to improve. It's really hard to be pushed on your own.
I find I also don't pace myself the same if I know the workout ahead of time. If I know there is 20x100 coming, I may hold back. Our coach never tells us what the next set is. And when he puts back to back hard sets, that's when you feel the good stuff happening.
I just started with a new group 2 weeks ago and I am already feeling the difference.

2015-09-25 11:14 AM
in reply to: marcag

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by marcag
Originally posted by 3mar I think I figured out a couple of things. One is that the one-on-one coaching I was seeing is surprisingly expensive, so that would be why there is no time spent doing sets. If you're paying over $200 for an hour of someone's time, you're most definitely not going to spend 40 minutes doing 100 repeats. That explains why so little time is spent just swimming and it's all drills and exercises. I couldn't get to my normal pool this morning so I ended up at the one that Jon Olsen coaches, and since I was late there was just me and a new guy that was an ex swimmer of some kind (college I'm assuming because he was going pretty darn fast for a first day back...give him a week and I'm sure he'd be faster than me) so he had us swim together. He gave us a variation of the workout he had for the masters team, and lo and behold, it had UDK, which my first attempts at were not that great. When doing it as instructed, the only way I can explain it is; it made my abs feel like they do when you throw up...like 1,000 sit ups. I can totally see the merit in that. Lastly, I think I do my sets on too slow of intervals. He was setting the pace for us and it was a lot lest rest than I would normally take. So some good takeaways overall.
swimming with people slightly faster is by far the best way to improve. It's really hard to be pushed on your own. I find I also don't pace myself the same if I know the workout ahead of time. If I know there is 20x100 coming, I may hold back. Our coach never tells us what the next set is. And when he puts back to back hard sets, that's when you feel the good stuff happening. I just started with a new group 2 weeks ago and I am already feeling the difference.

Swimming with just a bit faster certainly does help. I'm the other way around with seeing the set though. I don't trust it if I can't see the whole thing and will hold back some. More likely to go all in if I know what all is coming. It was also a good idea to help know which lane I should be in. Masters coach usually had a good idea, but some days I could be more or less tired than others, affecting how much I could push.

2015-09-25 11:16 AM

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL

Originally posted by 3mar I think I figured out a couple of things. One is that the one-on-one coaching I was seeing is surprisingly expensive, so that would be why there is no time spent doing sets. If you're paying over $200 for an hour of someone's time, you're most definitely not going to spend 40 minutes doing 100 repeats. That explains why so little time is spent just swimming and it's all drills and exercises. I couldn't get to my normal pool this morning so I ended up at the one that Jon Olsen coaches, and since I was late there was just me and a new guy that was an ex swimmer of some kind (college I'm assuming because he was going pretty darn fast for a first day back...give him a week and I'm sure he'd be faster than me) so he had us swim together. He gave us a variation of the workout he had for the masters team, and lo and behold, it had UDK, which my first attempts at were not that great. When doing it as instructed, the only way I can explain it is; it made my abs feel like they do when you throw up...like 1,000 sit ups. I can totally see the merit in that. Lastly, I think I do my sets on too slow of intervals. He was setting the pace for us and it was a lot lest rest than I would normally take. So some good takeaways overall.
swimming with people slightly faster is by far the best way to improve. It's really hard to be pushed on your own. I find I also don't pace myself the same if I know the workout ahead of time. If I know there is 20x100 coming, I may hold back. Our coach never tells us what the next set is. And when he puts back to back hard sets, that's when you feel the good stuff happening. I just started with a new group 2 weeks ago and I am already feeling the difference.

Our coach is good about assigning lane partners who will push each other.  It's hard psychologically not to want to "race" the person next to you.  Often that means breaking up folks who get too "comfortable" with each other and start to get lazy on making their send offs.   

Mark

2015-09-25 1:26 PM
in reply to: 3mar

User image

Extreme Veteran
here's a set

I think it's USC trojans
2015-09-25 8:53 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
That's one thing I also recall about our HS coaches--no way were we going to know what the sets were in advance. At most we might know the approximate yardage of the day's workout.I think that helps build mental toughness for the unpredictability of racing. When I was very young (maybe 10 or 11--he was also our youth club coach) I remember asking Bill (the Ironman) once how he knew how hard to go on each set (he often trained with us) and he astonished me when he said, "I'm always going hard on every rep in every set." To this day, I'm not sure I've achieved that...... Of course, in retrospect, Bill must have known what the workout was in advance (since he either wrote it or went over it with the other coach beforehand) so I'm sure at some level he was pacing himself! Ditto with one elite run coach I worked with at about 20....Once we did a 20-mile run with some tempo work in it. Then when we returned to the track where we had started, and suddenly we were doing 10 X 400m hard. One of those workouts you still remember 25 years later. But I know that helped tremendously with my confidence that I could pull a kick from somewhere even at the end of a long, hard race.

Anyway, not easy to replicate that if you train solo. When I go to master's, they don't write or show you the entire workout in advance, unless you ask. Usually I just get into a lane with people I (or the coach) think will push me and take it as they dish it out. I tend to be the slowest in the medium-fast lane (it's not a really high-powered group, but there are a small number of recent ex-college swimmers in the fast lane), or the fastest in the medium lane, so occasionally I find myself switching up or down a lane depending on the nature of the workout, who shows up, whether we're swimming SC or LC, and how I'm feeling. Actually I find I can get a good workout either solo or with others--it's just different. For shorter sets, easier to push with others. For longer, I think i do better quality efforts solo because I end up wasting time lapping/being lapped in a crowded lane.

Bill (or other coaches) if you are still out there doing tri (sometimes I suspect you are) and on this site, you can see what an impression you had on your young athletes. 46 now, still running and swimming (though only up to HIM so far), and I still remember those workouts, and tell my students and athletes the story of the "Special Prize", which you have probably long since forgotten!

Edited by Hot Runner 2015-09-25 8:56 PM
2015-09-26 11:27 AM

User image

Expert
The Woodlands, TX

That's a good workout. Gettin after it!

2015-09-26 12:30 PM

User image

Katy, Texas

here's a set

I think it's USC trojans

Is that yards or meters? If yards, that's insane, if meters then I don't think I could run that fast!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Training Like a Swimmer Rss Feed  

of 3

RELATED POSTS

Half Ironman training - Collegiate Swimmer Pages: 1 2

Started by 20point
Views: 4105 Posts: 41

2012-07-23 7:26 PM Experior

Swimmers help a swimmer

Started by bufit323
Views: 1596 Posts: 10

2010-02-08 5:45 PM mattanderson

Former competitive swimmer - how to train?

Started by NDIrishO3
Views: 1007 Posts: 9

2010-01-22 9:03 AM steves_training

one for the swimmers and cyclists, some training help/ideas please

Started by newbz
Views: 1212 Posts: 9

2009-01-08 3:13 PM GumbleX

OK, now your race "likes"

Started by madkat
Views: 1514 Posts: 24

2005-05-12 6:58 PM vmr719
RELATED ARTICLES
date : July 14, 2015
author : CoachCK
comments : 1
It's time to improve upon your weakness in the water and start swimming faster. Instead of ignoring your swim skills (or lack thereof), it’s time to face them head-on.

date : November 28, 2012
author : AMSSM
The anatomy, diagnosis and treatment of swimmer's shoulder.
date : December 27, 2008
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 5
Are you a new swimmer starting your triathlon training? Here are some top answers to member questions as you begin your triathlon swim training.

date : August 8, 2008
comments : 0
Discussions on being a slow, beginner swimmer, swimming on your side, snorkels, private lessons and ocean swims.
date : January 1, 2007
You will need to practice a couple of things to get those hips to the surface of the water, where they should be. The two drills involve head position and balance.

date : December 5, 2006
author : Terese Luikens
As a novice swimmer I have listed a few things that may help you build your endurance as you approach the water with a sprint race in your future. It can be overwhelming if you are not a fish.
date : November 9, 2006
author : McFuzz
How to join lap swimmers without making a splash. A primer on the social graces applied to swimming laps.

date : March 5, 2006
author : ChiRunning
The three disciplines of triathlon are steeped in rhythm. Think of watching a well-trained swimmer, gliding smoothly down the lane, arms moving like clockwork, breathing every third stoke.