General Discussion Triathlon Talk » The 3 diciplines Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-09-23 10:44 PM

Subject: The 3 diciplines
Hello,

I am a 22 year old girl who need some help.
The questions are not well defined, but I hope you get what I am asking..

I would be so so glad if anyone would take the time to help me out.

I am an pretty good runner (H.M. 1.40 and F.M. 3.35) but most of all I am a trail ultra runner and can hang it there for a long time (7 hours on 40 miles/64k)
This summer I got my first road bike and love it, not good at all yet but know I can be in some time.

This made me think of biathlon for next summer, but there are so few races... So then I thought about triathlon..

My problem I believe is swimming. I know how to breast swim, but have never tried the crawling.
How hard is it to be good in the water. When I say good I mean good enough to swim the distances in an longer race like Half Ironman..

Pleas give me some adcive, It would make me so glad :-)

2015-09-24 5:21 AM
in reply to: IknownothingaboutTri

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: The 3 diciplines
How hard is it to be "good" in the water....takes a long time usually. When I first started triathlons, I barely made it out of the water on my first sprint. On my second sprint race, I actually had a dnf due to a terrible swim in the ocean, thought I was going to drown. Took me three years to go from barely able to swim a lap to my fastest Ironman 70.3 of just under 30min. Which is still far from being a good swimmer IMO but I am at least comfortable in the water now which is half the battle.

My suggestion is just start heading to the pool on a regular basis to get comfortable in the water. Try a masters swim group if one is available in your area or at the least, try to have a swim instructor look at your stroke and give you some pointers on the basics. You will be surprised at how helpful a trained set of eyes are. Good luck!
2015-09-24 6:10 AM

User image

If you got a swim coach and were dedicated, maybe 6-12 months and you would survive a half IM swim. A year to two years for a full. If you cannot get a coach try to find someone you know that was a swimmer who could help.
2015-09-24 7:13 AM

User image

Exton, PA
At your age with lots of potential years ahead of you, think about this.

Most clubs(swim teams) have just started; Go find a local club and talk to the coach. He might be able to help you out finding an instructor or instruct you himself. You may be able to join the team for the year(for practice only), if you do get ready to swallow your ego because you will have to start out swimming with 8 and 9 year olds probably(and they will be faster then you).

If you did this and pick up the techniques well you could possibly be swimming longer distance tri's come spring. There are a lot of if's in this, but if you want to become a good swimmer, you need to join a team.
2015-09-24 8:58 AM

Thank you so so much for your answer!
This really helped, very kind of you all!

Then I have lots of work to do! but that I donĀ“t mind.. :-)

Have a great weekend!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » The 3 diciplines Rss Feed