Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Who has a Fitbit? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply
2015-09-24 3:23 PM

User image

Pro
Bartlett, TN
Subject: Who has a Fitbit?

and do you like it?

My company is getting fitbits for all the employees, so I am looking at getting one, even though I am not real excited about it. So I want to know. Is it worth it to have one?

2015-09-24 3:29 PM
in reply to: jford2309

User image

Champion
Tacoma, Washington
Subject: RE: Who has a Fitbit?

PM Lisa (lkct01234). She's been using one for a few months now. Seems to like it okay.

2015-09-24 3:52 PM

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
My company gives them to any associate that wants one.

We give out the Fitbit Zip, which is the least expensive model that clips onto your belt or waistband and only tracks steps, not sleep or heartrate like some Fitbits do. I generally prefer the ones that you wear on your wrist. This one's a little hard to read and it's pretty basic. If people have a Fitbit already, they can use their own instead of the company issued one.

My company gives rewards for wearing it and for accumulating a certain amount of steps per quarter, so, since I get a $50 gift card for doing what I do normally-- walk and exercise a lot, it's win-win for me. So, yeah-- definitely worth it.

I personally like wearing it.

For people at my company who are already active, it's basicically free stuff. For people who need a little push, the wellness program has been really successful and the fitbit is a big reason why. I bought the same one for my son who's in 6th grade and he really likes wearing it.
2015-09-24 4:49 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro

You guys are lucky......my company gives us GPS's on our vehicles and body cameras.

Edited by Left Brain 2015-09-24 4:50 PM
2015-09-25 8:39 AM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

I have one but don't use it anymore. I actually really liked it and I replaced it with the Garmin Vivoactive which was more useful to me. It tracks steps and does the GPS swimming/cycling/running ... so i don't need two devices. But the fitbit is good. 

The dashboard has a nice interface and you can basically wear it all the time. The hilarious thing though is it doesn't pick up swimming or cycling - you'll get some steps but when you look at the dashboard it will show that time as 'moderate' activity - which to me would be hilarious after masters swim where i was gasping for air and working very very hard!  So you have to take it for what its worth but i like that little bit of check-in to see that i've gotten off my butt enough in the day. 

I don't bother tracking my sleep. I have a toddler. I don't need to know when i've had a bad night sleep. I know. 

2015-09-25 11:32 AM
in reply to: juniperjen

User image

Pro
Bartlett, TN

I really do not think I need a device to tell if I slept well or not, but I think it will be interesting. I have ordered mine (not the free one, but one at a discounted price) and will give it a try.

2015-09-25 12:09 PM

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL

My wife has one.  She uses it mostly to track her walking steps on a weekly basis.  Had a battery that wouldn't hold a charge, got it replaced under warranty.  She seems to like it.

It's nothing that I have any interest in, so I'm sticking to my Timex GPS training watch for now.

That being said, the wearable device market is hot and I would expect some neat stuff hitting the market in the near future.  I figure eventually we'll all have implanted chips and virtual displays on our goggles and sunglasses.

Mark 

2015-09-25 12:31 PM
in reply to: RedCorvette

User image

Pro

Originally posted by RedCorvette

My wife has one.  She uses it mostly to track her walking steps on a weekly basis.  Had a battery that wouldn't hold a charge, got it replaced under warranty.  She seems to like it.

It's nothing that I have any interest in, so I'm sticking to my Timex GPS training watch for now.

That being said, the wearable device market is hot and I would expect some neat stuff hitting the market in the near future.  I figure eventually we'll all have implanted chips and virtual displays on our goggles and sunglasses.

Mark 

No WE won't.

2015-09-25 12:41 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Edmond, Oklahoma
Our employer offers fit bits for the husband and spouse. if we complete a workout program over 12 weeks we get to keep the fitbit and get a $500 deduction off of our healthcare premiums. It's a fair deal. You must workout three times a week for 9 out of the 12 weeks. The workout summary is uploaded for review every week.

I do have friends who will make sure they walk to achieve their 10,000 step a day goal. The walking does not count as a workout.

I think it's a good plan for the employees.
2015-09-25 1:50 PM
in reply to: RedCorvette

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
Originally posted by RedCorvette

I figure eventually we'll all have implanted chips and virtual displays on our goggles and sunglasses.

Mark 

I thought the Google Glass was dumb looking for day-to-day use, but the idea of a heads-up display inside your sunglasses while you're running or (especially) when riding is a cool idea. I know someone has created one but it looks clunky from what I've seen and bet Google or Garmin (or a partnership between the two) could do it better.
2015-09-25 2:12 PM

User image

Master
Falls Church, Virginia
I have the Charge HR and I really like mine. Granted, I'm coming off the couch, so I walk a lot, bike to the market, and swim a few times a week. For my activity level and weight loss goals, I've found it to be spot on, and the gamification of fitness works for me. I do see how I could outgrow it, since the Charge HR (stupidly) isn't waterproof and doesn't work for cycling, and once I really get back into tri it won't be as valuable.

2015-09-25 8:25 PM
in reply to: #5142938

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
I have a fitbit charge. My two favorite aspects are the vibrating alarm clock (no longer wake my wife up when I have to get up super early to do a workout) and the sleep analysis. I know when I don't sleep well, but it is interesting to look at my sleep pattern and when I'm restless vs. when I wake up in the night. Before the fitbit I had no idea I woke up so many times during the night (8-10x).
2015-09-26 8:56 AM

User image

Master
Straight outta Compton
I have the Charge (non-HR) and I really like it. I'm actually going to downgrade to the Flex one. I like wearing my own watch and having a stopwatch that keeps intervals.

Two things I'd suggest- use the software and connect to your friends. The competition is a lot of fun and pushes you. Secondly, don't wear it while running. I know this seems counter-intuitive, but I've found on days I run when I wear it, I get to 20,000 steps in a few hours, then I get lazy the rest of the day. Days I don't run I find I'm more active during my non-workout times, because I'm trying to get my step goal. It's particularly challenging for me because I usually swim on non-run days. The spread out activity has really helped jump start my metabolism, which was the whole reason I got the Fitbit in the first place.

Overall definitely glad I got it, although it does seem like a foreshadowing of the movie Idiocracy where everyone walks around with a UPC tattooed on their wrists.
2015-09-26 5:05 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Elite
Puyallup, WA

Originally posted by lake ....Our employer offers fit bits for the husband and spouse....

Is this a Mormon company??

Edited by lkct01234 2015-09-26 5:07 PM
2015-09-26 5:11 PM

User image

Elite
Puyallup, WA

I've got the Charge HR. I have worn it pretty regularly since about January. I like to see what's going "on" but I can't say that it really "encourages me."

But yes, like someone mentioned...it is not waterproof and doesn't have GPS. (But I wanted an accelerometer more than GPS.)

With that being said...I'm going to be rewarding myself with the Garmin 225 if I keep up with my current walking/training plan. (But...I get an employee discount...)

Hope you enjoy it!

2015-09-27 3:20 PM
in reply to: lkct01234

User image

Sensei
Sin City

I had one for YEARS.  Just gave it up and  honestly, felt free after doing it.  It would bother the heck out of me if I missed a day for some reason.

Here's my opinion (BTW, only reporting the older ULTRA model - only had steps and sleep).  If your are inactive and don't know how many calories you are burning in a day (or estimating incorrectly) AND you use the associated website to track food - it could help.  It's just a nice way to track calories in vs out and it compares them and lets you know if you are on track.

HOWEVER, FOR ME, it didn't "work".  The fitbit worked great.  And I logged every morsel of food and every calorie.  I did the suggested deficit or even exceeded it (which is something you can set up.  A goal for weight loss and it lets you know if you are on track or not.  I was running on a 1000-1600 calorie deficit average per day and not dropping a SINGLE POUND for months and months and months.  If calories in vs out actually is correct, and the calories burned was accurate per the fitbit, and my meticulous input of calories was correct (weighed, measured, accounted for everything), then I was an anomaly - because I couldn't lose and ounce.

So then I saw a nutritionist and ate more, sopped counting calories, ate better and lost weight.  Weird.  So if was not going to use fitbit to track food, I used it just to log calories burned with moving and workouts but lost all the "tracking" if I wasn't logging in food.  Knowing calories burned and steps is novel, but I'm not sure if it's that usefull.

I think if you are basically inactive and need some motivation, it could be good.  For active people who are basically aware of their activity and food, it's probably unneeded data.  OR, if you a data nut, I suppose.

I can't say it is bad since I used it for 4-5 ears but breaking away from electronics and data was nice.  Early on it was nice to try to break steps/floors/salories-a-day records, or hit total miles/steps milestones.  You can compete against friends, etc.  So if that motivates you, awesome.  I just lost any use for it.   

2015-09-27 3:25 PM
in reply to: Kido

User image

Sensei
Sin City

Side note, if I were to do something like a fitbit again, I have looked pretty hard at the Polar M400.  Counts steps, tracks sleep, GPS, HR, talks to you smartphone.  Does everything fitbit does and also works with training software and puts all your data into training peaks, or BT, or adds it to data if you use other higher end polar products you might use for training.

Polar also has a lot of other "training" features like "own zone" "training results" etc.  The M400 is less than $200 from best buy so cheaper than the Fitbit with GPS model.

2015-09-29 2:17 PM
in reply to: Kido

User image

Pro
Bartlett, TN

I got mine yesterday!

Anyone want to know how many steps I took yesterday?

(I see this lasting a couple of weeks at best)

2015-10-02 10:11 AM

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

Originally posted by jford2309

I got mine yesterday!

Anyone want to know how many steps I took yesterday?

(I see this lasting a couple of weeks at best)

So, you easily get 10k steps a day?  

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Who has a Fitbit? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Fitbit Charge HR

Started by Justin86
Views: 1122 Posts: 2

2015-02-16 2:29 PM mcgilmartin

Are you having a good day...

Started by dontracy
Views: 1083 Posts: 24

2007-02-09 5:48 PM Gina76

i'm having an it's all about me day...

Started by Sharkie
Views: 782 Posts: 13

2007-01-24 9:57 AM HankJKy

Having to rely on others for important things.

Started by phoenixazul
Views: 1116 Posts: 6

2006-09-12 8:02 AM mathsgeek

having a hard day - must forfeit registration for first oly :( :( :(

Started by autumn
Views: 1573 Posts: 17

2005-02-16 10:49 PM mitrigirl