General Discussion Triathlon Talk » What's the best advice you've received!? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2015-09-25 10:11 AM
in reply to: Miles around Midtown

Master
Northern IL
Subject: RE: What's the best advice you've received!?

Originally posted by Miles around Midtown
Originally posted by mike761 The proper number of bikes Is N+1, N being the number you currently own.
Or N-1, with N being the number of bikes that causes a divorce.

That one is S-1 as S and N are different things.

2015-09-25 11:11 AM
in reply to: Miles around Midtown

User image

Seattle

Originally posted by Miles around Midtown
Originally posted by mike761 The proper number of bikes Is N+1, N being the number you currently own.
Or N-1, with N being the number of bikes that causes a divorce.
HAHAHA 

2015-09-25 2:36 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Cypress, Texas

"You've got this run!!!"  

That is what a friend yelled to me as I was leaving the T2 in a sprint Triathlon that I did for recreation 7 years before I made the cross over to Triathlete.  On no swimming training I turned in a back of the pack swim performance.  Then I ran into bike trouble that cost me 10 minutes to fix so my bike ranking was even worse than my swim ranking.  Coming out of T2 many people (including my friend who cheered me on) were already done with the race.  I was thinking to myself..."No reason to make this painful.  I don't have anything to gain at this point", but the encouragement from a friend did make me rethink that.  I decided I am a runner.  If anyone can nail this run I can.  My friend knew I had that run and he was right.  The jello feeling in my legs from over doing it on the bike never went away, I had to really think about the mechanics of running (i.e. bend at the knee, lift the heel, etc.) just to keep from tripping over my feet and falling on my face, but I stay focused the whole 3.1 miles and to my surprise turned in the overall 2nd fastest run time for the even.  That phrase "you've got this run" has been an inspiration that has got me through training and races ever since.

I guess another way this advice could be said is "Don't stop until you have crossed the finish line".

Edited by BlueBoy26 2015-09-25 2:39 PM
2015-09-25 3:08 PM
in reply to: Triathlon_daddy

User image

Expert
Austin, TX
As far as effort: pedal downhill.

We have rolling hills here. Often people coast down which means working harder on the next climb. By pedaling downhill, that next climb is easier.

Unless you are getting paid, this is for fun. Make sure you are enjoying yourself.

I've told people who are embarking on their first IM to enjoy the day. I usually get a strange look in return. It is possible to find enjoyment even at mile 18 of the run.
2015-09-25 3:10 PM
in reply to: BlueBoy26

User image

Denver, Colorado
Originally posted by BlueBoy26

"You've got this run!!!"  

That is what a friend yelled to me as I was leaving the T2 in a sprint Triathlon that I did for recreation 7 years before I made the cross over to Triathlete.  On no swimming training I turned in a back of the pack swim performance.  Then I ran into bike trouble that cost me 10 minutes to fix so my bike ranking was even worse than my swim ranking.  Coming out of T2 many people (including my friend who cheered me on) were already done with the race.  I was thinking to myself..."No reason to make this painful.  I don't have anything to gain at this point", but the encouragement from a friend did make me rethink that.  I decided I am a runner.  If anyone can nail this run I can.  My friend knew I had that run and he was right.  The jello feeling in my legs from over doing it on the bike never went away, I had to really think about the mechanics of running (i.e. bend at the knee, lift the heel, etc.) just to keep from tripping over my feet and falling on my face, but I stay focused the whole 3.1 miles and to my surprise turned in the overall 2nd fastest run time for the even.  That phrase "you've got this run" has been an inspiration that has got me through training and races ever since.

I guess another way this advice could be said is "Don't stop until you have crossed the finish line".

I like this story! It is pretty inspirational and I think I cannot agree more Thanks for sharing!
Mary
2015-09-25 6:24 PM
in reply to: marysia83

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
It wasn't really advice, but it was funny.....

After I did my first Oly riding a rental mountain bike that I swear weighed almost as much as I did (and I'd ridden it for my first tri, too, an Ex-terra "super sprint") I ended up in the top 10 for swim and run (overall, including guys) and 123/136 on the bike. (And the 13 people I was ahead of included someone with only one arm and leg and a woman who appeared to be at least seven months pregnant.) Figured tri was just one more sport that I sucked at. My friend told me, "You know, though, doing a road tri on a mountain bike is like doing the run in rubber boots." So true. I've done a lot better with a road bike (I won the race the following year on it) and now a tri bike, but the bike is still my nemesis and I feel like I'm "running" in rubber boots sometimes.

As far as advice, oddly, my mother. She knows pretty much nothing about tri but she always yells at me in T2, "You'd better hurry up." Which, in my case, is true. The run is my strongest leg relative to most of my competition, and I need to get out of there and start working through as many people as I can before I hit a finish line.

2015-09-26 12:34 AM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Extreme Veteran
Few things.

1) n+1, it's always a good idea to get a new bike, as long as it's financially feasible ( but each bike doesn't have to be too $$ )

2) buy used and save a LOT of cash on some quality stuff

3) bike fit

4) swim coach

5) make sure you're having fun.
2015-09-26 6:09 AM
in reply to: dfquigley

User image

Expert
Oklahoma
Bring your own TP race morning!
2015-09-26 7:35 AM
in reply to: juniperjen

Originally posted by juniperjen

Do your own race. Don't worry about anyone else.

This. During the run portion of my first tri (Oly) I was suffering - bad - and my mind started to focus on the couple folks who passed me. And then when the course doubled back I found myself starting to focus on who might catch me next. Then I realized I had no idea what anyone else was there for, how much they trained, or what they were feeling. Everyone has a "story", write your own.

Once I turned my focus back on to me, (around mile 4) I found a cadence I could sustain and picked up my pace by almost 30 secs per mile.
2015-09-26 8:14 AM
in reply to: H2OhNo

User image

Brooklyn, New York
Don't get married
2015-09-26 10:00 AM
in reply to: RedCorvette

User image

Expert
Floriduh
Originally posted by RedCorvette

Be consistent with your training.  Otherwise you're starting over all the time.

Can't tell you how many times I have learned and forgot this one.

2015-09-26 3:20 PM

User image

Wow, thanks! some great advice and loads on training.
A little gem I picked up from the racing the bike leg is if normally get hydration or cramping issues for the run then hydrate massively for the bike a have a wee whilst still on the bike to save time. Might freak some people out admittedly but believe me, it's better than debilitating cramps and a DNF!

www.triathlondaddy.coom
2015-09-26 4:02 PM
in reply to: brian

User image

Originally posted by brian

When racing, start slowly and then taper off from there ...

Excellent!
2015-09-27 12:06 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
Boise, Idaho

It's easier to shave 30 sec. off your transition times than it is to swim/bike/run faster.

Edited by jeffnboise 2015-09-27 12:06 AM
2015-09-27 5:17 AM

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania
Originally posted by Triathlon_daddyWow, thanks! some great advice and loads on training.A little gem I picked up from the racing the bike leg is if normally get hydration or cramping issues for the run then hydrate massively for the bike a have a wee whilst still on the bike to save time. Might freak some people out admittedly but believe me, it's better than debilitating cramps and a DNF!www.triathlondaddy.coom
Only problem is that hydration won't prevent cramps during races. ;-)
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » What's the best advice you've received!? Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

What's the best climbing advice you ever got.

Started by DV 1
Views: 2208 Posts: 25

2015-05-13 3:50 PM ChrisM

What's you best advice pre-first Tri? Pages: 1 2

Started by gzh6464
Views: 2397 Posts: 34

2011-06-24 10:06 AM 6226chels

Since we are running around like headless chickens, what's the worst conditions you've ever run in Pages: 1 2

Started by Spokes
Views: 2279 Posts: 38

2008-01-24 2:41 PM CitySky

The best swim advice I received was....

Started by JTK
Views: 1149 Posts: 12

2005-09-08 1:45 PM shawn barr

What's the best compliment you've received?

Started by the bear
Views: 1933 Posts: 25

2004-08-02 2:19 PM crpadiem
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 8, 2010
author : Oakley
comments : 0
In this Oakley Armchair Session, British triathlete Tim Don talks about that 'perfect day off' - as triathletes, it's needed.

date : October 9, 2009
author : Oakley
In this Oakley Armchair Session, British triathlete Tim Don talks about a few variations for brick training.
date : July 28, 2008
author : peteo
comments : 4
Honey, great news. I just spent our kids’ college fund on a new bike! The sales guy said it will shave at least 3 seconds off my 40K time. Umm, honey why do you have a knife in your hand???

date : December 11, 2007
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 1
Searching for the perfect gift for a friend, relative, or teammate? Here's a list of winning book suggestions for active people.
date : July 4, 2005
author : Daniel Clout
A lot of my unnecessary troubles and tribulations were because of my defiance, acting on my own naïveté and strong will. I was not acting on the advice given to me.

date : September 4, 2004
author : surfking
Triathlons - Not an Ordinary Workout
Triathlon Training Advice and Tips

Reasons for triathlon training.