General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Ironman Refunds or Comp Registration? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-09-26 8:55 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

2015-09-26 9:14 AM
in reply to: helveeta

Extreme Veteran
Cypress, TX
Subject: RE: Ironman Refunds or Comp Registration?

You were pulled for safety reasons, and while that sucks, I fail to see why they owe you anything.  Judging from the times the swim was shortened to begin with (my guess it was shortened to a 1K swim), and they still had to fish a bunch of you out of the water.  Hindsight says they probably should have just canceled the swim but we don't have the luxury of time travel.

You're coming off a bit petty trying to get something when all they did was potentially save your life.  Just my $.02.

2015-09-26 10:13 AM
in reply to: GMAN 19030

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania
Originally posted by GMAN 19030

You were pulled for safety reasons, and while that sucks, I fail to see why they owe you anything.  Judging from the times the swim was shortened to begin with (my guess it was shortened to a 1K swim), and they still had to fish a bunch of you out of the water.  Hindsight says they probably should have just canceled the swim but we don't have the luxury of time travel.

You're coming off a bit petty trying to get something when all they did was potentially save your life.  Just my $.02.

I agree. I'm sorry about the situation, but that's the nature of racing sometimes. Move on to the next race.
2015-09-26 11:57 AM

Champion
Sarasota, FL

In your other thread you wrote:

"For a minute I thought I might drown so I spot a lifeguard on a surfboard and call her over."

You obviously weren't dealing well with the conditions, and if the guard knew it was going to get worse I don't fault their judgment at all for making you drop out.  They were just looking out for your well-being, not trying to arbitrarily punish you. 

I don't really understand why you think you should be given a refund. 

Stuff happens.  Chalk it up to experience, learn from it, and move on.

Mark

2015-09-26 12:23 PM
in reply to: RedCorvette

2015-09-26 12:31 PM
in reply to: 0

From your previous post about this race:

Originally posted by helveeta
After 10 minutes I reached some pretty big waves and was getting slammed by whitecaps so I tried swimming under them but I was getting hit anyways. For a minute I thought I might drown so I spot a lifeguard on a surfboard and call her over. I told her I just needed to get out of the waves but she radioed a boat that arrived within seconds. I tried to swim off as I spotted a way out of the waves but he grabbed me and forced me out of the water.

I'm sorry, but once you indicated to a lifeguard that you needed help, they were obligated to help you. Triathletes are a stubborn bunch; stubborn enough sometimes to put themselves in life-threatening situations. At the first indication that you might be in real danger, they have to error on the side of making sure you live over your desire to finish. Given the conditions, it looked like they were busy. They really didn't have any time to keep an eye on you to see if you'd change your mind again.

I want to take this to the next level because I just can't rest until I know I have done everything I can.

In your first thread on this subject, the community here almost universally agreed that the lifeguards, who were put in a quite difficult circumstances, made a reasonable judgement call in good faith to pull you from the water, and that this is sometimes how the cookie crumbles, so to speak, in this sport. Get over it and move on was the resounding feedback you received.

Now you bring it up again. At this point, you've gone beyond petty. What "next level" do you want to go to over an entry fee? Could the return possibly be worth the effort? (Here's a hint: most likely not because you're not likely to get any return!)

You have to decide if you are going to go forward from this with a victim's mentality or a champion's mentality. So far, you've chosen the former. If you put half the mental energy into training for your next HIM that you're putting into complaining about what happened in the last one, you'd have a monster performance.

Edited by gary p 2015-09-26 12:35 PM

2015-09-26 1:00 PM

New user
Austin, Texas

There is something called the Ironman Full Refund Plan, but you have to pay extra for it ahead of time when you register, like insurance. Even if you had bought that, it wouldn't cover the circumstances you describe. The closest thing I could find would be "natural disaster" and that's listed under the situations in which you wouldn't be covered.

http://www.ironman.com/full-refund-plan.aspx#axzz3mrvB6kut

2015-09-26 1:10 PM

Pro

Originally posted by helveeta My question was has anyone heard of anyone getting a refund from Ironman?

No

2015-09-26 2:27 PM

Master
Kailua, Hawaii
I know it's a tough cookie to swallow, forced DNF...but no refund

be glad it wasn't a full IM...double the cost. And although it was a lot of driving for you, at least you didn't have airfare/rental car as well.

0 - 14 DAYS PRIOR TO AN EVENT (refund)
Ironman - NOTHING
Rev3 - NOTHING
Challenge - NOTHING
HITS - NOTHING
2015-09-27 8:22 AM

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania
Originally posted by helveetaMy question was has anyone heard of anyone getting a refund from Ironman?
No. I had to DNF a HIM and IMMD this year because of health issues. I got nothing back from the HIM, and only $150 of $650 for the IM. I didn't even toe the starting line. You did. You're not going to get a refund.
2015-09-27 8:42 AM
in reply to: gary p

Veteran
Southampton, Ontario
Originally posted by gary pIf you put half the mental energy into training for your next HIM that you're putting into complaining about what happened in the last one, you'd have a monster performance.

this is my though as well, it was a tough learning experience but you have to move on and use it as your motivation to become a stronger swimmer. Showing up to the next race stronger and more determined is your best "next level"

2015-09-27 8:06 PM
in reply to: DaveL

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

no, and they won't pay for your swim lessons either

2015-09-27 8:51 PM
in reply to: #5143224

Dave - you are kind of an A, but a damn funny one.

NO - no refund. my friend got cancer even and she missed her Ironman while in chemo. They did not refund her or comp her.
2015-09-28 8:35 AM
in reply to: dmiller5

2015-09-28 8:59 AM

Pro

Originally posted by helveeta  In my experience, triathletes are some of the nicest, most helpful, down to earth peeps I have ever encountered.

Nah.......they tend to mimic the general population....nothing special about them.  Some are great folks, some are pretty good, some are arseholes.  Standard stuff. 

I can vouch for dmiller....he's a good guy.

2015-09-28 9:06 AM
in reply to: Left Brain

Originally posted by Left Brain

Originally posted by helveeta  In my experience, triathletes are some of the nicest, most helpful, down to earth peeps I have ever encountered.

Nah.......they tend to mimic the general population....nothing special about them.  Some are great folks, some are pretty good, some are arseholes.  Standard stuff. 

Yea but who is going to vouch for you LB?

OP, don't take it as mean.  I think it's meant more as a HTFU.

2015-09-28 9:08 AM
in reply to: Goggles Pizzano

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

Originally posted by Goggles Pizzano

it is a HTFU.  This probably sounds mean too, but sometimes you need some mean to succeed.  Your whole post/previous post come off as super whiney.  Ironman was hard, I couldn't hack the swim badly enough that lifeguards forced me to quit for some reason. (hint, they did this because they saw you swimming and thought if you continued you would be in danger).  Basically, you didn't put the work in to successfully finish and now you want your money back.  You showed up, raced, and didn't finish.  Why should they give you anything? 

HTFU, get in the pool, and finish next time.

2015-09-28 9:32 AM

Sarasota, Florida
If it makes you feel better, I saw a car with an oval DNF sticker. Haven't seen a HTFU one yet. Didn't even know that acronym until today.
2015-09-28 9:36 AM
in reply to: Goggles Pizzano

Pro

I'm counting on Dave........we're all we've got. 

2015-09-28 9:57 AM

Katy, Texas
Originally posted by dmiller5

it is a HTFU.  This probably sounds mean too, but sometimes you need some mean to succeed.  Your whole post/previous post come off as super whiney.  Ironman was hard, I couldn't hack the swim badly enough that lifeguards forced me to quit for some reason. (hint, they did this because they saw you swimming and thought if you continued you would be in danger).  Basically, you didn't put the work in to successfully finish and now you want your money back.  You showed up, raced, and didn't finish.  Why should they give you anything? 

HTFU, get in the pool, and finish next time.

i agree. I wouldn't call it mean, it's honest really. Sometimes we all need a kick in the butt.
2015-09-28 10:00 AM

Hi has anyone ever heard of Ironman™ giving a refund or comp for a race whether it be for a cancelled race or a situation beyond the competitor's control?

I know the waiver we sign pretty much covers that in terms of going to court but I am currently trying to get a comp registration for a race. I was (literally) pulled off course during a dangerous swim despite my argument with the lifeguard that I could continue (he told me the waves were much worse further on in the course and I had to quit "whether you like it or not.") I have been emailing the race director and they just keep saying, "we're sorry" and that's it. I want to take this to the next level because I just can't rest until I know I have done everything I can.

I apologize for your situation (bad luck on weather) and I feel bad that you are getting some sarcastic responses here. But keep in mind, most of the folks here have been in your situation. It's not an easy lifestyle to live, and people are always looking to blow off steam or lighten the mood. That's all it really is.

If it was easy, everyone would do it. It sucks that you felt you could continue, but once you took a rest in those conditions, the lifeguards were put in a tough situation to DNF you. It sucks that you want your money back - it' snot a cheap sport, but they can't make exceptions, or else they;d constantly be handing back money to every DNF with a story to tell (legitimate or not).

Chalk it up to a learning experience. But please, do not let this force you into a bad decision should you ever encounter something similar in the future. Train the best you can, and know that if the conditions are right, you'll get your moneys worth next time.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Ironman Refunds or Comp Registration? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Refund for cancelled Triathlon

Started by SBR51
Views: 1427 Posts: 7

2011-08-13 1:57 PM guppie58

Just checking... refund for IM Louisville

Started by smoom
Views: 1824 Posts: 21

2011-04-20 3:25 PM Rogillio

IM 70.3 Race Refunds?

Started by treiks813
Views: 1615 Posts: 6

2008-11-20 10:53 AM ksmith4

IronMan Registration Fee Refund Question

Started by charlie
Views: 674 Posts: 4

2006-01-10 8:54 PM 3558

unveiling my tax refund

Started by akabak
Views: 1365 Posts: 22

2005-04-21 4:15 PM possum
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 23, 2012
author : ytriguy
comments : 0
Often it makes sense to race slower in order to finish faster and at the same time have a more enjoyable Ironman Triathlon experience.

date : April 27, 2012
author : ytriguy
Some of the major mistakes I made over a 28-year career that I would do differently if I had it all to do over again.
date : April 18, 2012
author : alicefoeller
comments : 3
An unexpected upside of completing a full distance triathlon

date : June 27, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 8
A middle-of-the-pack triathlete takes on the iron distance for the first time at Rev3's inaugural full distance race
date : February 23, 2009
author : mat steinmetz
I will be 20 this summer and am planning on doing Ironman Montreal. This will be my first year of triathlon, can I do this and stay away from injuries?

date : November 17, 2008
author : mrakes1
During the race there will be plenty of opportunities to exchange bottles, so I'm thinking about going with the aero bottle and Gatorade bottle and fill up as necessary. What should I do?
date : July 30, 2006
author : IRONVIKING
If a heart patient can do these things, then so can those of you who haven't been split open like a fish and sewn back together.

date : September 2, 2004
author : Michael
comments : 1
Are you only focusing on racing and training this season?  Volunteeri to help at a triathlon!