United States
RedMan Triathlon
86F / 30C
Total Time = 13h 59m 38s
Overall Rank = 49/155
Age Group = 55-59
Age Group Rank = 1/5
Pre-race routine:

The Redman in Oklahoma City has a great reputation for putting on an excellent event. I was very impressed with the race, check in, the volunteers and race staff. The volunteers are exceptional. The aide stations on the bike course and run course are the best I have seen.

I woke up early and had my usual oatmeal and a cup of coffee. This was my first Ironman man distance and I had plenty of anxiety
Event warmup:

I visited with the other racers and stretched. We were not allowed in the water until the swim so there was not any warm up for the swim
Swim
  • 1h 15m
  • 4224 yards
  • 01m 47s / 100 yards
Comments:

We had two amputees doing the full distance and it was appropriate everyone clapped as they entered the water. We also had a flyover which was a great touch. I had a good swim but a crooked swim. I have been pacing at 1:40 per 100 without a wetsuit so I was disappointed in the 1:55 average. The wave for the full distance went first and 7 waves for half distance went afterwards.

I caught the last two groups on the second loop and had to pick my way through the groups.
What would you do differently?:

Have better siting.
Transition 1
  • 09m 42s
Comments:

I was slow as I changed into bike shorts. I also had a gel and water.

I should have moved faster but went slower to change clothes to be more comfortable for the bike
Bike
  • 7h 13m 50s
  • 112 miles
  • 15.49 mile/hr
Comments:

I was worried about the bike. I had a fusion in my back last October. Long rides are very difficult. In addition my thyroid is out of whack and I sweat profusely. I did get new meds for the sweating. I did bonk most of the long training rides due to either back issues or dehydration. I was worried for the bike ride as I did not want to bonk the ride and fail to finish. I rode 16.4 but had 15.5 due to the number of stops at the aide stations. My plan was to get off the bike and make sure I stretched. I also had some chaffing issues and had to keep buttering the chamois and other areas. The volunteers at the aide stations were incredible. Since it was a two loop course I did get to see many of them four times. We joked a lot.

I am a slow cyclist and simply need to improve my speed. I was ok with the 16.4 average given my stops making my overall average 15.4. I was very relieved to make the ride due to my back issues and thyroid issues causing the excessive sweating.
Transition 2
  • 11m 4s
Comments:

I changed into my run clothes and had another gel. The transition attendant gave me wet towels to wipe my face and get rid of some sweat. The attendant had the best attitude and was wonderful.

I could have been faster but was so relieved to have made the bike I did savor the moment.
Run
  • 5h 10m 32s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 11m 51s  min/mile
Comments:

The concrete really hurt my legs and with my back issues I ran in the grass to the side of the concrete path for comfort as much as possible the first three laps. I can't say enough about the aide stations. The aide stations are amazing and really help the runners. I had to run more on the concrete path the last lap as the sun had set.

I ran as good as I could and really can't complain
Post race
Warm down:

I picked up my medal, finisher shirt and changed clothes for the massage and had some chicken broth. I headed home and felt great. Once I was home and checked the results I saw I had won my age group.

Event comments:

The Redman has a well deserved reputation for a great race and incredible volunteers. The race lived up to its reputation. The event is very well organized, well staffed, officiated properly and the most incredible volunteers! If you are looking for a great event you need to put this race on your calendar!!

Last updated: 2015-05-29 12:00 AM
Swimming
01:15:00 | 4224 yards | 01m 47s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/5
Overall: 0/155
Performance: Good
Suit: wetsuit legal
Course: The course was two loops. The start was going north and you could site using radio towers. There is not anything large to site when you swim south. I have to pick my head to high to see the boys which effects my siting.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Remainder: Good
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding:
T1
Time: 09:42
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
07:13:50 | 112 miles | 15.49 mile/hr
Performance: Average
Wind: Little
Course: The course was a two loop event. Some roads are smooth and fast. There are also roads which are rough. I had to stop four or five times because the rough pavement popped my box open behind my seat and I needed to close it. We started in OKC and made our way out to the country. The police at the intersections controlled traffic great and the riders never slowed.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills: Below average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Too much
T2
Time: 11:04
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
05:10:32 | 26.2 miles | 11m 51s  min/mile
Performance: Good
Course: The course was four 4 loops. The aide stations were amazing and since it was a four loop event you got to know them. I did thank all the volunteers as I went through them. The first loop was fast and I felt great and had to make myself walk to pace myself. I averaged 9:45 the first loop which was way to fast but felt great. The second loop was a 12 min pace. I ran well and walked the water stops. the third loop was tough. My stomach had problems and was sloshing from too much liquid. I was concerned about dehydration and drank too much. Towards the end of the third loop I realized I might make 14 hours but had to pick up the pace on the fourth loop and cut 9 minutes off my third loop time. The fourth loop was tough as my feet and legs were really hurting.. I saw I had 1:15 left to make 14 hours which is about a 12 min pace. My watch battery died so I was asking everyone what time it was. I decided to push it to make it and would slow down if I saw I was going to miss the 14 hour goal. I ran with someone the first two miles who had us at a 11:00 pace for the first two miles. I stopped at the second and third water stations for Gatorade. With 2.4 miles to go I needed to run right at 12 minute pace which was tough. I ran as hard as I could and ran through the next two water stops. I saw a volunteer with 1.3 miles to go and he told me I had 15 minutes left. I told him my plan for 14 hours. The volunteer really encouraged me and said I was cutting it close. I gave the last 15 minutes everything I had. As I got closer I kept asking people what time it was. It was dark and many people struggled to give me the time but all yelled it to me. I entered the chute with 45 seconds to spare and finished ahead of 14. I was absolutely spent. One gentleman stayed with me and walked me around. I felt great.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2015-09-27 3:44 PM

User image

Edmond, Oklahoma
Subject: Redman Full Distance Triathlon
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Redman Full Distance Triathlon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Redman Full Distance Triathlon

Started by bgarstang
Views: 1287 Posts: 3

2012-09-27 10:29 PM Justin Scheele

Started by Justin Scheele
Views: 2043 Posts: 7

2012-09-27 12:49 PM bgarstang

Started by Av8rTx
Views: 1843 Posts: 5

2012-09-24 7:00 PM EKH

Started by andyatchison
Views: 1155 Posts: 1

2011-10-05 8:04 PM andyatchison

Started by adambrady
Views: 1402 Posts: 1

2011-09-29 9:51 AM adambrady
RELATED ARTICLES
date : July 14, 2009
author : scoobysdad
comments : 0
Excerpts from the full-length movie of three BT'ers following their dreams to Ironman. Meet BT'er tripletmom01

date : April 17, 2008
author : mikericci
comments : 1
This program is a beginner plan to bridge you from an a Half Ironman to Ironman using a HRM with the confidence that you can complete the race without difficulty.
date : November 20, 2007
Executing this full Ironman plan for 17 weeks would give people with one Ironman under their belts very good preparation for a 2nd and 3rd. Preferably, you should have a 6:30 or faster HIM time.

date : July 10, 2007
author : Ontherun
Having three seasons under my belt I thought I knew what I was doing. That all changed with a few new challenges and a bunch of new friends.
date : July 30, 2006
author : IRONVIKING
If a heart patient can do these things, then so can those of you who haven't been split open like a fish and sewn back together.

date : October 30, 2005
This program should be used for an athlete who has been following the progression of the Half Iron Distance program and is 12 weeks out from their first Iron distance race.
date : October 26, 2005
This Intermediate 20 week plan is a quick ramp up in overall volume, but with 20 weeks to train only, it is a gradual and safe approach because of the alternating weeks of the long run/bike.

date : April 3, 2005
author : sherrick
comments : 19
This training plan is written to prepare you for your first Ironman. While just a beginner’s plan, the hours per week start at a significant 8 hours.