United States
60F / 16C
Sunny
Total Time = 32m 23s
Overall Rank = 28/50
Age Group = MastersWomen
Age Group Rank = 8/18
Pre-race routine:

DH asked me to go with him to Flagstaff, AZ to pick up a project truck so most of Friday was spent on the road to, and from, Flagstaff. We got home late evening and I wasn't really hungry, as is usually the case when road tripping, but knew I needed to get some food in me for the Saturday morning race. DH made grilled cheese and I paid bills and packed for the race and the subsequent road trip to Denver.

We got up at 5:45 for a 6:15 departure. I didn't want to eat a bunch so I had a pack of Skratch chews. We headed out the door and stopped at SBux for a flat white to enjoy on the hour drive to the other side of the mountain.

We arrived at the race site, which was the XC trail for East Mountain High School, and watched as the HS busses pulled in to drop of their athletes for the HS XC Invitational to be held after the community race. It was so much fun to the high schoolers milling around waiting for the days competition to begin. One of the high points for me was to see how many Native American youth were on these teams. With the poverty and dispair that still exists on the reservations it was encouraging to see these kids involved in something so productive and enjoyable as XC.
Event warmup:

Walked to packet pickup and back (maybe half mile total) then sat in the warm car for a bit. When it got closer to race time we made the trek back down to the same building for one last pit stop then headed up on to the field where the race would start.

I looked around, trying to gauge where I should line up. It was really just one big blob of all AGs and the walkers. After a few announcements we were off with little fanfare.
Run
  • 32m 23s
  • 5 kms
  • 06m 29s  min/km
Comments:

This was a blast. The scenery was beautiful and much like lower sections of the PPA. I took off fairly fast to get around the crowd where we started on the soccer field. Once we entered the woods I kept the pace, which felt good, up the first hill then flew down the back side, passing lots of people on the way. As the hills undulated I continued to feel strong and passed more people now and again. At the end of the first lap as I motored up the "big hill" as the RD had called it, I felt a bit lightheaded and wished i'd taken in a few more calories. I slowed a bit and kept climbing as I entered the second lap.

Through the second lap I occasionally passed people (and lapped some walkers who were doing only one lap) and just maintained a comfortable pace.

Throughout the community race the HS teams were out scoping the course. They were very respectful by moving off the course as racers came by and they were very encouraging, lining the trail and cheering the community racers.

As I chugged up the big hill the second time I could hear someone approaching from behind. I tried to push it but I was giving it all I had so I was passed by another Masters Woman on the last hill :(

I came up of the hill and on to the soccer field for the final stretch and pushed it to the end. As I crossed the line they took the small sticker (ok lets be real, it was a mailing label) with my name and AG to record my time.

What a fun race and great laid back atmosphere!!!!
What would you do differently?:

Maybe take in more calories but this was a blast and I am super happy with my performance.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked a bit but really wanted to just lay down. I really had given it everything I had.
We walked over and grabbed a banana and a bottle of water then sat on the bleachers and waited for the awards and raffle (didn't win anything).

We watched the Varsity boys take off for their race start before we headed to the car. We went to Santa Fe for breakfast burritos and a shower then jumped in the car for a road trip to Denver.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I'm not going to dwell on this because I am super happy with this performance. Since the PPA I've lost about 10 pounds and I feel much less effort getting up hills when running.

I felt great chugging up the hills and I was flying down the hills. I was even passing people going up AND DOWN! I wish I'd had eaten a bit more and maybe avoided the lightheaded feeling on the big hill but overall.... I'm happy

Event comments:

This was a great race. It was super low key, just a small community race before the HS XC Invite but it was a lot of fun. The raffle was pretty good and had stuff from several local vendors. There was plenty of food and water at the finish.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2015-09-18 12:00 AM
Running
00:32:23 | 05 kms | 06m 29s  min/km
Age Group: 8/18
Overall: 28/50
Performance: Good
Mile 1: 9:12 Mile 2: 11:28 Mile 3: 10:57 Mile 3.1: 11:35 HR ave 168, max 182
Course: Two loops around the 1.5 mile XC course. There were some rolling hills then one big hill at the end of each lap
Keeping cool Good Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2015-09-28 10:12 AM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM
Subject: T-wolf Trail 5k

2015-09-28 12:31 PM
in reply to: #5143502

User image

Seattle
Subject: RE: T-wolf Trail 5k

Great job TJ! Yay, I am glad you had so much fun!

10 lb, woooweee! It hasn't been THAT long! I am looking forward to seeing what is next. You've got some good momentum!

2015-09-30 12:36 PM

User image

Pennsylvania

You are very happy with your race, and rightly so.  No much more to be said IMO except a BIG congrats!!

2015-09-30 6:53 PM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

"Super Happy" is super cool!!  Congrats on a really good day.

2015-10-01 7:55 AM

User image

Katy, Texas
Awesome race TJ, congrats!! Great pic too, you look effortless flying down the trail! Not even mouth breathing!
2015-10-01 12:52 PM
in reply to: Jet Black

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

Great race TJ.  I love the picture.  What a great setting.  Glad you had such an enjoyable event. 

2015-10-02 1:09 PM
in reply to: popsracer

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

It sounds like so much fun and I LOVE the race photo!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » T-wolf Trail 5k Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Running of the Wolves 10k and 5k

Started by ncpistol
Views: 773 Posts: 1

2010-01-17 9:19 AM ncpistol

Trout Creek Trail Run - 5K

Started by Lucy
Views: 1525 Posts: 7

2006-03-13 10:22 AM GatorGirl22

Trout Creek 5K Trail Run

Started by F150TPA
Views: 1445 Posts: 15

2006-03-13 10:29 AM GatorGirl22

Nissan XTERRA SCRAMBLE TRAIL RUN SERIES 5K/10K

Started by haygosl
Views: 901 Posts: 1

2005-10-16 8:02 PM haygosl

Trees and Trails 5k

Started by autumn
Views: 1180 Posts: 2

2004-09-19 5:33 PM autumn
RELATED ARTICLES
date : November 15, 2011
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 0
Recipes for Oatmeal Pancakes, Carrot Apple Muffins, Sugar and Spice Pecans and Crunchy Trail Mix

date : July 28, 2011
author : AMSSM
I can train for half marathons on pavement and on trails, but as soon as I change it up to gravel or loose dirt my knee swells and the pain it causes is unreal. Any ideas why this happens?
date : October 29, 2008
author : mrakes1
Triathlon nutrition discussions on trail mixes and calories, regular skim milk vs. organic skim milk vs. soy milk and whey protein.

date : October 30, 2005
author : acbadger
First, with your upcoming 5K, I strongly advise you to check out the “Couch to 5K” training schedule. This training schedule is a GREAT way to get back into running safely and wisely.
date : October 17, 2004
author : smeeko
Discover the joys of trail running while also giving your body many benefits.

date : August 29, 2004
author : Ron
comments : 2
Overview of two walk/run routines for training for a 5K.
comments : 12
This aggressive couch to 5k program will get you running from nothing and will be the lead-up to any of the sprint programs.

comments : 2
This couch to 5k program will get your running in seven months and can be the lead-up to any of the sprint programs.