General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Carb and fluid loading race week Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-09-28 11:39 AM

Subject: Carb and fluid loading race week
I will be competing in my first sprint Triathlon this Sunday. It is the Scott Tinley in Arroyo Grande, CA. .25mile swim, 12 mile bike and 3.1 mile run.
I'm curious about different carb loading plans and fluid loading. Any advice is much appreciated. Thank you.

2015-09-28 12:52 PM
in reply to: Cdam209

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania
Subject: RE: Carb and fluid loading race week
Carb loading as traditionally practiced is a myth that provides little, if any, benefit. It's primarily tradition nowadays. Just eat your normal diet. Just drink enough to stay fully hydrated the week of the race. Have fun!
2015-09-28 4:05 PM

User image

Pro

Plus,

you're not going to burn through your glycogen stores in that distance.  So no, it does not matter, even if you could carbo load.  I prefer to go into any race well hydrated and fed- which is something you do for days before the event.  Drinking a ton an hour before the race to be hydrated during it... will just make you have to pee when you're on the bike.

if you want to worry about eating- do whatever is necessary to ensure that you move your bowels prior to race start.

2015-09-28 4:17 PM

User image

Denver, Colorado
Work on hydration a week before, and not few hours before the race. Drink Pedialyte (or something similar) in the week before. It helps.
Just to share my personal experience on the race morning - usually you need to show up on the site way earlier than your race will start, so they can close transitions. So there will be a lot of time between your breakfast and the start. At least in my case, I had breakfast at 4 am, and started the race at 7:30. I started to starve around 6 am.....
So for my following races I ate breakfast before leaving my house, and just had an egg, banana, and some dark chocolate about an hour+ before the race.
But that depends on your body and current habits.
Good luck and have fun!!
Mary
2015-09-30 11:15 AM
in reply to: #5143541

Thank you all for the responses.
2015-09-30 11:25 AM
in reply to: marysia83

User image

Exton, PA
Originally posted by marysia83

Drink Pedialyte (or something similar) in the week before. It helps.

This is not needed. Just eat a well balanced diet and you will be fine. If your worried about hydration have an extra glass of water each day the week before.

2015-09-30 12:29 PM
in reply to: #5144040

any transitioning advice?
Is there a thread on here for that?
2015-09-30 1:40 PM
in reply to: mike761

User image

Denver, Colorado
Originally posted by mike761

Drink Pedialyte (or something similar) in the week before. It helps.

This is not needed. Just eat a well balanced diet and you will be fine. If your worried about hydration have an extra glass of water each day the week before.

Here's my problem: I HATE water. I don't drink enough. Well, I don't drink at all. Once in a while - if I don't forget - I bring lemons to work and I squeeze them to water bottle. Even with pedialyte I don't drink the full bottle. This is just something that works for me. And I actually "stole" it from Kim's race reports

Mary
2015-09-30 1:41 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Denver, Colorado
Originally posted by Cdam209

any transitioning advice?
Is there a thread on here for that?

Yes - plenty of those. I believe I posted one few months ago.

Unless you want to know about carb load during transitions...?
Mary

Edited by marysia83 2015-09-30 1:41 PM
2015-09-30 2:26 PM
in reply to: marysia83

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania

Originally posted by mike761
Originally posted by marysia83 Drink Pedialyte (or something similar) in the week before. It helps.
Here's my problem: I HATE water. I don't drink enough. Well, I don't drink at all. Once in a while - if I don't forget - I bring lemons to work and I squeeze them to water bottle. Even with pedialyte I don't drink the full bottle. This is just something that works for me. And I actually "stole" it from Kim's race reports Mary

That makes it right for you, but it's not the best advice for the majority.

Mike's advice is what most people should be doing.

2015-09-30 5:42 PM
in reply to: TriMyBest

User image

Brooklyn, New York
Originally posted by TriMyBest

Carb loading as traditionally practiced is a myth that provides little, if any, benefit. It's primarily tradition nowadays. Just eat your normal diet. Just drink enough to stay fully hydrated the week of the race. Have fun!

The only carb loading that ever worked was in the few days before a bodybuilding competition after ultra strict dieting.When I switched to tri training and racing, the above statement proved true. I will add maybe extra 30-60 grams of white rice carbs night before and morning. Added sodium to my normal diet within the 24 hrs pre race HAS helped me with cramping issues I used to experience. Nothing crazy drastic though

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Carb and fluid loading race week Rss Feed