General Discussion Triathlon Talk » me again- Too much stuff in my post workout drink Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-09-29 8:10 AM

User image

Stillman Valley, Illinois
Subject: me again- Too much stuff in my post workout drink
Seems like I'm the only one posting here. I'm trying to free up space in my post workout drink. Currently I have 2 scoops of whey protein (40 gr), 1 tbls of vitamin and mineral powder from vit shoppe, 1/2 tbsp chia seeds, 1/2 tbsp metamucil, 1/2 tbsp flax seed powder, tbsp of almonds and sunflower seeds, 1/2- 1 cup of frozen fruit, and water. I was also putting 1 scoop of vitargo (carbs) and greek yogurt in for a long time but the thick viscosity became a little unappealing.

I guess my question is this - in order of importance what should I eliminate? I need the fruit for sure as I have a difficult time getting them the rest of the day, seems like I need at least two scoops of protein powder. I can deal with the consistency right now but I have eliminated the carbs and the greek yogurt and I'm afraid I'm not supplementing with carbs soon enough after my workout.

Should I eliminate one scoop or protein powder and go back to putting in a scoop of carbs?

Sorry, I have a lot to learn about nutrition.

2015-09-29 3:27 PM
in reply to: cwiehle0

User image

Subject: RE: me again- Too much stuff in my post workout drink
What does the rest of your daily intake look like?

I feel like you are using your shake to get everything you need important in all at once. So I don't quite have an answer or opinion for you until I know what the rest of your daily intake looks like bro.
2015-09-29 9:39 PM

User image

Veteran
Calgary
I think we have very different philosophies about food, but here goes....
YES - you are trying to put too much into your drink!!

I don't get the point of powders - eat real food.
After your run have a glass of water, an apple and a handful of almonds.
Keep some hard boiled eggs in the fridge as a handy source of protein for lunches and snacks.
My favorite night time snack is plain yogurt, mixed with frozen raspberries (thaw slightly) and a bit of brown sugar.
More vitamins are not necessarily better - you probably get more than enough from your food.
Forget about "supplementing". Eating is healthier and more enjoyable.
Are you packing everything good into one drink in order to give yourself license to eat crappy food the rest of the day?
Don
2015-09-30 7:42 AM
in reply to: turfyclown352

User image

Originally posted by turfyclown352

What does the rest of your daily intake look like?

I feel like you are using your shake to get everything you need important in all at once. So I don't quite have an answer or opinion for you until I know what the rest of your daily intake looks like bro.

Yesterday, I consumed a peanut buter and banana sandwich on cracked wheat, a PBJ on cracked wheat, couple handfulls of dry roasted peanuts throughout the day, some popcorn at sons soccer game and for dinner 2 small sweet potatoes white rice and suateed mahi tuna for dinner. I usually don't eat that well rounded for diiner but we don't eat a lot of fast food either.

I did reduce the contents of my shake this this morning following a swim of 4 - 200yd intervals with another 200 misc . Shake consisted of 1 cup nonfat greek yogurt, 1 scoop of vitargo (35 gr carbs), 1 scoop of protein powder, 1 cup of mixed fozen berries, 1 tbls chia seeds
2015-09-30 8:02 AM
in reply to: donw

User image

Originally posted by donw

I think we have very different philosophies about food, but here goes....
YES - you are trying to put too much into your drink!!

I don't get the point of powders - eat real food.
After your run have a glass of water, an apple and a handful of almonds.
Keep some hard boiled eggs in the fridge as a handy source of protein for lunches and snacks.
My favorite night time snack is plain yogurt, mixed with frozen raspberries (thaw slightly) and a bit of brown sugar.
More vitamins are not necessarily better - you probably get more than enough from your food.
Forget about "supplementing". Eating is healthier and more enjoyable.
Are you packing everything good into one drink in order to give yourself license to eat crappy food the rest of the day?
Don

DonW,
We are closer on our diets than you think, the reason for the shake is partly due to my morning schedule, and my window of opportunity to get carbs back into my system. The reason I submitted this thread however is to get somewhat back the the basics and reduce my supplementing. I just don't know how to do it at this point. Everything I read states I should be consuming 70+grams of carbs within 30-60 min of workout completion, and I will not compromise on this. I can tell my next workout or the following day if I didn't get carbs back into my system post workout. I also would like get some protein back in as well , and the easiest way to do that at this point is the powders.
However, I stopped to do some calculating just now and my peanut butter and banana sandwich contains about 58-60 gr of carbs, so I guess that would work, but I really do love the way my shakes make me feel post workout.
As far as junk food goes, we''ll have taco bell or Mcds maybe once a week if schedules are tight with running the kids around, but all in all I try to stay away from it, and don't drink pop or alcohol, snacks I try to eat like cheese or nuts. Basically water, coffee, and tea to drink . Broccoli on the side with most dinners. I usually have a cup of greek yogurt with frozen fruit mid morn at work too.
Thanks Chris
2015-09-30 9:08 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

I for one am not a fan of supplements, as the general public use it as a crutch and not what it is truly designed for; to supplement an awesome diet. I also don't trust most supplement companies and labels.

If I was in your shoes, I would not focus on my shake, but on my overall diet at first.

Your diet is not all that bad, but could use some solid tweaking.

My staples in my diet are:
veggie shakes
veggies
a lot of fruit (mainly bananas and apples)
nuts
meats/poultry
oatmeal
peanut butter
seeds

Are you looking to start eating healthier and have your diet geared more towards an athlete? Or do you believe in the "iifym"?

Also, are you trying to lose weight, maintain or gain?

Also why will you not compromise on your exact carb dosage post workout? Because a couple studies said to?

Edited by turfyclown352 2015-09-30 9:09 AM

2015-09-30 10:12 AM

User image

I am 5'6" at 143 lbs
Trying to maintain weight
I would like to do a half iron next summer and know my diet needs to be spot on. Right now it is not.
I know I don't eat enough veggies and greens
I usually have a banana a day and 1/2 to 1 cup of fruit in bkfst shake
I will compromise on my post w/o carb numbers, sorry I was being close minded. I just don't want to try and force down lots of food to meet my numbers, which right now I am uncertain of. I eat often, not large meals, yesterday I ate approx a hlaf a sandwich every two hours.

Thanks
2015-09-30 12:50 PM

User image

Are you maintaining your weight now with what you are eating daily and having energy to complete your workouts?

Just because you eat often, does not mean much. Someone who eats often but only 300 calories at a time, will still eat less than a dude who has only two big meals a day with each being 2000 calories.

Without knowing more about you, I can't really ballpark a decent daily calorie intake for you.

2015-09-30 2:17 PM

User image

Are you maintaining your weight now with what you are eating daily and having energy to complete your workouts?

Just because you eat often, does not mean much. Someone who eats often but only 300 calories at a time, will still eat less than a dude who has only two big meals a day with each being 2000 calories.

Without knowing more about you, I can't really ballpark a decent daily calorie intake for you.

Yes I stay pretty even at 142-145 and workouts are good.

An average day would consist of

morning- shake with greek yogurt, protein powder, carb powder, fozen fruit, chia seeds, few almonds and sunflower seeds
sometimes a half piece of toast with peanut butter depending how hungry I am

Mid morn 8-10 - either half a pb and banana sandwich, oatmeal, or more greek yogurt with fruit

late morning 10-11- other half of sandwich or leftover pizza

lunch 12- sandwich or leftovers from night before (nothing big or I get sluggish)

late afternoon 3pm- I usually scavange around work looking for whatevers avail cuz I have run out of food, if I have something crappy it's now, because there's chips or other junk food on the kitchen work table

Dinner 5pm- anyting from sphagetti with broccoli and garlic bread to, tacos, to fish and rice, to brats, regular american dinner table food, not horrible but nothing to brag about either. If we are running the kids around, and short on time, we will hit anything from, subway to taco bell. At taco bell I try to get the fresca stuff without all the cheese sauces. I like my quarter pounder with cheese meal once a month, but am proud to say I am past 30 days right now. I also like my oreo Mcfluries

Soemtimes get hungry before bed and will have couple cookies or half bowl of raisin bran

2015-09-30 5:40 PM

User image

I personally would work on altering those meals/snacks. It doesn't have to happen overnight. I would start by changing one or two of those snacks/meals a week. The biggest thing is stocking your home with good foods and not junk food. Before you know it, you wouldn't even need those powders or supplements.

Just focus on eating simple foods like-
fruit
veggies
meat/poulty
dairy
nuts/seeds
oatmeal
peanut butter
rice

You can also start looking up recipes for your favorite foods that are the healthy version. Like I just got done eating a homemade pizza. You can still make "cheat foods" healthy.

It takes time to adjust your diet fully and really enjoy it. If I was to go back eating the way I was a few years ago, I would get sick to my stomach after every meal. My body craves fruits, nuts, veggies ect over the cookies, cereal, soda, fast food.
2015-10-01 7:53 AM

User image

I personally would work on altering those meals/snacks. It doesn't have to happen overnight. I would start by changing one or two of those snacks/meals a week. The biggest thing is stocking your home with good foods and not junk food. Before you know it, you wouldn't even need those powders or supplements.

Just focus on eating simple foods like-
fruit
veggies
meat/poulty
dairy
nuts/seeds
oatmeal
peanut butter
rice

You can also start looking up recipes for your favorite foods that are the healthy version. Like I just got done eating a homemade pizza. You can still make "cheat foods" healthy.

It takes time to adjust your diet fully and really enjoy it. If I was to go back eating the way I was a few years ago, I would get sick to my stomach after every meal. My body craves fruits, nuts, veggies ect over the cookies, cereal, soda, fast food.

Ok, thanks for the advice. I forgot to mention I am semi lactose intolerant. Can't do a lot of milk. I will try to start incorporating more veggies and poultry for sure and I love oatmeal so thats good. One more quick question then I will leave you alone. I am trying to learn about glycemic index and load as it pertains to my post workout. For example- I wouldn't have a problem getting my carbs post w/o if I had two grahm crackers, and 1/4 cup of raisins and some greek yougurt but stuff like the grahm crackers are probably higher on the glycemice index. Is this stuff okay to eat after a workout when my body is starved for carbs (so long as it's not a candy bar or chips or something liek that)

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » me again- Too much stuff in my post workout drink Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Pre workout drink and post recovery drink

Started by Pnewkirk12
Views: 1240 Posts: 3

2014-06-20 9:55 AM Hot Runner

post workout stuffs

Started by evb4mvp
Views: 1428 Posts: 3

2011-10-01 5:30 PM diamed

Post AM workout drink

Started by rgattis
Views: 882 Posts: 1

2011-01-31 1:36 PM rgattis

Reovery drink for short workouts?

Started by Boom808
Views: 3429 Posts: 21

2009-12-18 6:07 PM Diesel

Is This a Good Post Workout Drink?

Started by supa-powa
Views: 1061 Posts: 4

2008-02-13 5:00 AM kuota3
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 17, 2008
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
Sport drinks replenish what is lost during exercise, such as electrolytes, water, sugar, while energy drinks are designed to provide a boost in energy.

date : June 5, 2008
By adequately fueling with protein and carbohydrates within 30-minutes post workout, consecutive workouts will be more successful.
date : May 19, 2008
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 2
Alcohol and athletics is a dangerous duo. Serious recreational runners drink more than their sedentary counterparts. This article lists several of the negative consequences of alcohol.

date : February 18, 2008
Getting ready for a long workout? Here are some nutritional guidelines on how best to fuel your body in preparation for that long workout.
date : November 20, 2007
Depending on the length of your workout, there are several options to choose for a post-workout snack. Includes 3 smoothy recipes for workouts over 2-3 hours.

date : November 4, 2007
comments : 4
What you eat prior to your workout will determine your energy levels during a workout. What you eat after a workout will determine how quickly you recover.
date : September 24, 2007
Discussions on salt tablets, AM workout nutrition, coffee, post workout nutrition, whey powder, recovery nutrition, losing weight, Recoverite usage, the necessity of sugars and snack ideas.

date : February 8, 2007
author : AMSSM
I find this is occurring after almost every workout. The pattern is always the same: freezing 10 min after a workout and 2 hours to warm up again. I am not sick. My diet is healthy.