General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Intro - New to sport Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-09-29 8:12 AM

Subject: Intro - New to sport
I've been lurking and reading a lot, and have posted here previously (I think years ago maybe) but wanted to introduce myself. I spent 10 years as a competitive powerlifter but due to numerous injuries, had to hang up the heavy lifting. As a result, I dont need to carry the extra bodyweight - I am not fat, but bodyweight is bodyweight - and am currently between 255-260lbs and am 6'3. I am down around 25lbs from early April, and plan to continue dropping weight. Would like to settle into 230-240lbs range. I carry a lot of muscle due to my previous sport, so dropping below that bodyweight range will take some time.

I have been running and cycling quite a bit, but am just getting into swimming. I am a decent "regular guy" swimmer, but am really having to learn how to breathe efficiently - so my swims are generally intervals of 25-50m, and a total of 400-500m. I am increasing my ability every time I am in the water, but its slower progress than I would like. I can breast stroke all day, but freestyle kicks my butt.

My legs are still getting used to the running, but I am getting better. This will just take more time on the road.

Cycling is something I am really enjoying - I am training right now in the 10-15mile range but am getting more confident in going longer and can maintain 16-17mph pace pretty well. Again, just time on the bike will help.

I am shooting for a Sprint in the Spring next year and Olympic distance next August. Of course if I progress and feel confident enough I may move those up. I would like to do a Full IM in the next 2 years. Big goal.

I am very OCD with my sports/hobbies, much to my wife's annoyance, so I tend to go all out. I just love having goals and competing. Just hoping to learn more. Its a process, ha!

Edited by IRBS 2015-09-29 8:15 AM

2015-09-29 8:37 AM
in reply to: IRBS

Subject: RE: Intro - New to sport
Glad youre enjoying the journey. I am only running at the moiment but all will soon change as Ive joined a local club. Good luck with the sprint.
2015-09-29 9:12 AM

Welcome.

Just reading through your post, it is clear you are a competitive person, and obviously weightlifting is kind of an aggressive sport to come from. Hope you have a lot of fun with your tri training.

I agree with everything you had written about training, dropping weight, etc. until i read this..."I am shooting for a Sprint in the Spring next year and Olympic distance next August. Of course if I progress and feel confident enough I may move those up. I would like to do a Full IM in the next 2 years. Big goal."

Just my two cents here (and I'm no expert) - you are coming from years of doing fast twitch, explosive movements, to more of a slow twitch, endurance sport. Don't push it too much, even if you feel things going well. The Sprint in the spring will be a great learning experience, and will fall perfectly into your training plan for the Olympic. And once all goes well, your body will likely be much more suited for what you need for the full IM. Give the smaller, stabilizing muscles, tendons, etc. in your body time to get caught up to the large muscle groups. You will avoid injury much better and have a long, healthy career in the tri world.

Also - look at it this way, by giving yourself the proper time to train for each race, you will give yourself the time to train and do each race better/faster. Sure you could do the Olympic in June, but wouldn't you rather wait until August and do it 5 minutes faster?
2015-09-29 9:25 AM
in reply to: H2OhNo

Originally posted by H2OhNo

Welcome.

Just reading through your post, it is clear you are a competitive person, and obviously weightlifting is kind of an aggressive sport to come from. Hope you have a lot of fun with your tri training.

I agree with everything you had written about training, dropping weight, etc. until i read this..."I am shooting for a Sprint in the Spring next year and Olympic distance next August. Of course if I progress and feel confident enough I may move those up. I would like to do a Full IM in the next 2 years. Big goal."

Just my two cents here (and I'm no expert) - you are coming from years of doing fast twitch, explosive movements, to more of a slow twitch, endurance sport. Don't push it too much, even if you feel things going well. The Sprint in the spring will be a great learning experience, and will fall perfectly into your training plan for the Olympic. And once all goes well, your body will likely be much more suited for what you need for the full IM. Give the smaller, stabilizing muscles, tendons, etc. in your body time to get caught up to the large muscle groups. You will avoid injury much better and have a long, healthy career in the tri world.

Also - look at it this way, by giving yourself the proper time to train for each race, you will give yourself the time to train and do each race better/faster. Sure you could do the Olympic in June, but wouldn't you rather wait until August and do it 5 minutes faster?

Ha, you are so right...and I will stick to the plan. I am a competitive (and impatient) person by nature, so I have to stay in check. Great comparison between the two sports, and it is a completely different experience.

I will definitely heed your advice...always good to have input that keeps me in check. We also have a local Tri group that I am going to join, so that will help as well.

Thanks!
2015-09-29 12:49 PM

User image

Really good advice from h20hno, joining a club is an excellent idea and you will learn a lot from people who have been on a similar journey.
I also lifted weights mainly, not to your level but it was my main sport. I've been into tri for three years now and only feel ready to shoot for ironman now.

The other thing is the amount you learn actually in competition. Transitions, what really works for fueling, kit selection, race discipline...the list just goes on and on. Each time you race you learn more and become better, so try to approach it as a student almost.

I'm blogging about my Ironman journey so hopefully there are some nuggets in there for you! Good luck!!
http://www.triathlondaddy.com
2015-09-30 9:49 AM
in reply to: Triathlon_daddy

Thanks all for the replies. I am looking forward to the journey.

2015-10-13 1:47 PM

User image

, North Carolina
Welcome!

Lots of great advice already! Swimming was my weak point (still is... that's why I do duathlons... Run-Bike-Run) but I promise you will get the hang of it. More than anything the breathing rhythm will come around with practice. Just focus on form and you will naturally get faster!
New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Intro - New to sport Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

New to the sport, any sport

Started by Angusbob
Views: 913 Posts: 2

2009-05-02 3:11 AM Chaderbox

Intro - new guy

Started by philcrittenden
Views: 519 Posts: 3

2006-04-29 8:27 PM jjweav

New here, new again to the sport

Started by briderdt
Views: 871 Posts: 4

2006-01-24 6:30 AM smokeater1833

Another not so new intro

Started by iceit99
Views: 662 Posts: 5

2004-08-13 2:08 PM usarocks

New Philly Triathlete - my intro

Started by jmc1888
Views: 932 Posts: 10

2004-04-08 11:38 PM Michael
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 20, 2012
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
Recurrent injuries to the groin are slow to heal, easily re-injured, and will frustrate your training and competition plans. Learn about the diagnosis, anatomy and treatment of sports hernias.

date : January 1, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 0
Here are five steps to ensure that you keep your promise to yourself to get you to that first triathlon.