General Discussion Triathlon Talk » New Galloway Run Walk Strategy Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-09-29 9:50 AM

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL
Subject: New Galloway Run Walk Strategy

Jeff Galloway has recently come out and said that the greatest benefit of walk breaks takes place in the first 30 seconds, and after that you tend to slow down.  So now he is advocating that you only take 30 second walk breaks, but maintain the same run/walk ratio in order to go faster.  For example, If you use a 2 min: 1 min ratio currently now, you should instead go 60 sec: 30 sec.

Has anyone tried this new approach?  

I've started using the Galloway method when I was rehabbing my torn Achilles back in 2011 and it's worked well to keep me from further injury.  I normally use a 4 min: 1 min ratio and am a little apprehensive about cutting the rest too short and negating the recovery benefit to my Achilles and knees.  I'm going to give it a try, but thought I would ask around first.

Thanks,

Mark.  

2015-09-29 10:23 AM
in reply to: RedCorvette

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member
Subject: RE: New Galloway Run Walk Strategy

It might be good if you are trying to keep a certain pace but I don't see a problem with the longer walk intervals for other reasons like rehabbing an injury or coming back from an absence from running. The use of increasing run intervals with a 1' walk is a great way to get started conservatively and work back up. 

2015-09-29 10:55 AM

User image

Exton, PA
I don't follow his strategy, but for the last couple years for 1/2 marathon and above I always walk through the hydration areas. Get my drink down which take 20-30 seconds and get moving again. Its every 3 to 5 miles when I usually do this.

I have no data to say that this has made me any faster than just running through and trying to drink when I run, however I am much happier drinking when I'm walking. So it make my events more enjoyable.
2015-09-29 11:03 AM
in reply to: mike761

User image

Deep in the Heart of Texas

I'm getting back into running after a summer layoff.  I've been running 7 min, walking 1 min on my morning runs.  I'll give the :30 walk break a try.

In the afternoon/evening I need the 1:00 to allow my HR to drop back down - I'll be glad when the 95-100 degree days are gone for a while.

2015-09-29 12:26 PM

User image

Pro

The whole run/walk strategy makes sense for new runners who are still building their aerobic engine.  It's a stepping stone, not a place to optimize.

optimizing a run/walk strategy is making the walk breaks shorter and shorter... so that they are no longer of benefit.

so yeah- 30 sec is better than 60 sec.  

each person will be different.  Best to run with a HR monitor and know how fast you are recovering.

2015-09-29 1:43 PM
in reply to: morey000

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL

Originally posted by morey000

The whole run/walk strategy makes sense for new runners who are still building their aerobic engine.  It's a stepping stone, not a place to optimize.

optimizing a run/walk strategy is making the walk breaks shorter and shorter... so that they are no longer of benefit.

so yeah- 30 sec is better than 60 sec.  

each person will be different.  Best to run with a HR monitor and know how fast you are recovering.

In my case it's been more of an overuse injury management strategy.  I've got degenerative Achilles tendinosis in both legs and chronic patella tendinosis in my right knee.  After I tore my left Achilles, my orthopedic surgeon tried to talk me into giving up running altogether.  After some discussion, he did get me to agree to give up any sports that required any sudden starts & stops, changes of direction, or jumping.  So I'm pretty much limited to running at a steady pace in at straight line!

Through some trial and error I've figured out that if I stick to no more than a 4:1 run/walk ratio that it gives my legs enough time to recover for runs up to HM distance without too much adverse effect.  At one point I even experimented with a run/jog scenario where I would just slow down for a minute to rest my legs rather than actually walking, but my legs didn't like that.  FYI, before I got hurt I trained my HR, but when I started doing the run/walk the graph ended up looking like a saw blade.  Rather than continuing to chase a trailing indicator, I gave up on HR and just started going by RPE.  

I've tried to be conservative to protect my legs, but the one minute walk breaks seem to drag on forever to me and I'm always itching to go again.  I'm curious about matching the shorter run/walk intervals and seeing what happens.   I'm thinking in theory that the shorter run interval will create less cumulative stress on my legs to where the 30 sec recovery will be more than adequate.   

Considering my age (62) and the associated increasing need for overall rest & recovery,  I'm really looking more for solutions to be able to sustain a reasonable pace over a given distance without hurting myself. as opposed to aggressively seeking increases in my pace.   

Mark

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » New Galloway Run Walk Strategy Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Do you employ a walk break strategy on long runs ala Galloway? Pages: 1 2

Started by jmot
Views: 3188 Posts: 47

2011-04-25 7:18 PM hockeyhands

Run/walk timer switching. Jeff Galloway training

Started by czeqm8
Views: 7112 Posts: 7

2010-07-15 11:00 AM KathyG

Jeff Galloway run/walk? Pages: 1 2 3 4

Started by nadaswimmer
Views: 11541 Posts: 76

2010-08-11 2:27 PM Hook'em

Interesting test run for the Galloway v non Galloway

Started by pga_mike
Views: 685 Posts: 1

2008-10-04 6:14 PM pga_mike

Galloway Run/Walk Method

Started by berlinsd
Views: 1790 Posts: 13

2006-11-01 4:23 AM berlinsd
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 11, 2007
author : Coach AJ
comments : 0
Discussion on the walk/run technique, run injury and cadence, barefoot running, staying aero on long climbs and HIM preparation

date : March 5, 2006
author : KevinKonczak
comments : 0
Discussion on tapering, treadmill workout, long run issues, insituting run/walk, surrounded by hills and knowing your LT.
date : August 29, 2004
author : Ron
comments : 2
Overview of two walk/run routines for training for a 5K.

date : August 29, 2004
author : Ron
comments : 2
This couch to 5k program will get your running in seven months and can be the lead-up to any of the sprint programs.