40F / 4C
Sunny
Total Time = 21m 45s
Overall Rank = 2/62
Age Group = 30-39
Age Group Rank = 1/14
Pre-race routine:

Busy, bus,y busy, bus,y busy week.

I had a beer but gosh darn it I forget which one it was. Sorry, no deets this time but I am guessing it was delicious!
Event warmup:

Woke up early, said goodbye to J as she was headed out of town for the weekend.

I got to the event, picked up my packet and then jogged around the area to warm up. It was a beautiful crisp day.
Run
  • 21m 45s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 06m 59s  min/mile
Comments:

While *just* a 5K (as people like to say for some reason) this race was really important. It was part of a multi race series where points are tallied up and prizes are awarded at the end and a series champion named.

"For each distance, the fastest runner of each gender is awarded 100 points. All other runners receive points based on their finishing time. Points awarded are fastest race time divided by runner's finish time times 100."

I came into this event with the lead but the second place woman was right behind me. I had to win this race to seal the deal. In fact, to stay on top I had to win all 6 races. Each one I entered had more pressure to compete than the last.

Anyhoo, I lined up towards the front and tried to relax a little. The countdown started. Then 3, 2, 1 and we were off.

I tried to take advantage of the nice little downhill, keeping my shoulders relaxed and turnover quick. We got to the bottom of the hill and I shifted gears. I wanted to get up quickly but also didn't want to expend too much so early on. The hill probably had a 300' gain or so. When we got to the top we took a hard 90 degree turn onto the trail and continued to go up.

There were several distance races going on that had different start times and different loop variations so it was hard to tell where I was. The terrain changed a lot from asphalt to concrete to single track trail and then more of a gravel service road. This was unlike most of the other events in that it wasn't on one of the more remote mountain parks. This was in a suburb housing community that had a network of trails in the greenbelt. That being said, the trails were very well-groomed which was nice, no tripping hazards to watch for.

As we neared the highest point I was really suffering. I had a not-so-great race the weekend before and was really hoping I wasn't going to do it again. I saw a woman way out in the distance and really started beating myself up. I didn't want to lose the series because I couldn't HTFU but I was struggling to find another gear.

I really tried to summon some strength and focused on one foot in front of the other. I let er rip down the steep descents, increasing my cadence. This is always really uncomfortable but very effecting. It makes my gait feel choppy but I can feel the speed increase.

We had another big climb and there was a cluster of guys all running what I assume was the marathon distance. They took up the whole trail. I called out, "on your left" and they eventually moved. They were really nice but really oblivious.

Once I passed them there was a little more up and down and then I broke out of the trees. I made a hard turn onto the sidewalk and then followed the cones down a small flight of stairs, past the coffee shop (lol) finally there was one more short asphalt descent (kind of steep) with a sharp 90 degree turn to the finish.

I ran as hard as I could through the chute. I looked around to see how poorly I had done, expecting to see a few women hovering around. I only saw one guy with his hands on his knees recovering. The race directer ran up to me and said, "Wow That was a very fast time for this course! You won it! You won it!" Which was absolutely shocking to me. I said, "no way." still totally disappointed. Then he said,, "No really, you did! You got the course record!"

I was completely shocked. I thought I had not only done terrible at the race but completely blown the series. I'm not sure why I felt that way. It just felt so hard. But I guess that is just the thing, these races never get easier.

It took a while for me to cheer up a little and realize I had done it, I had won the series! I treated myself to a coffee and then walked around. They had an excellent post race party complete with hot air balloons, beer garden, free BBQ and cool booths.

Finally I made my way to the beer garden. A couple of the guys who had been competing in the series were there and stuck up conversation. If anyone remembers one of my race reports, there was this guy shouted at me how happy he was to finally beat me. Anyway, he was there and said, "Maaaaan, you beat me again!" He ended up being really nice. We all chatted about our favorite races, whats next etc. Finally it was time for the awards. Hoka was a big sponsor of the series and, not to sound ungrateful but I was REALLY hoping the prize wasn't a pair Hokas. The announced the second place female, and...drum roll...a pair of Hokas! And then first place...WOOOHOOOOOOO a Suunto watch!!!! Now, you all know how I feel about watches by now but this thing has an altimeter and a compass on it which is great for all the mountain running and mountaineering I have been doing.

I had been having a pretty rough couple of weeks but I looked down at my medal (actually it was a super cool carved wood "medal"), Evergreen Series woman's first place overall and felt pretty damn proud of myself.

http://www.webscorer.com/seriesresult?seriesid=39748&gender=F
Post race
Warm down:

Did a little jogging then hot air balloon, coffee, beer and awards

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Just gotta keep working at it. I have a lot to improve on in both uphill running and down.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2015-09-28 12:00 AM
Running
00:21:45 | 03.11 miles | 06m 59s  min/mile
Age Group: 1/14
Overall: 2/62
Performance: Average
Course: On asphalt for maybe the first mile or so. Down and then up a pretty significant hill before getting into some single track. The single track was up, down, up down building up to the peak elevation and then some steep descents, a few climbs, another steep descent and back down onto some asphalt, down a flight of stairs and into the finish. WHEW
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2015-09-29 2:02 PM

User image

Seattle
Subject: Tehaleh Trail Run: 5K

2015-09-29 2:57 PM
in reply to: #5143854

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida
Subject: RE: Tehaleh Trail Run: 5K

Congratulations.   I'm glad you were proud, you certainly earned it! A boatload of hard work and perserverence. Great job.

2015-09-29 3:10 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

So. Awesome. Congrats on the win, congrats on the series!!!!!!!!!!!!

2015-09-29 3:45 PM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Damn woman - so FAST!!

This was my favorite part "I made a hard turn onto the sidewalk and then followed the cones down a small flight of stairs, past the coffee shop (lol)"

stairs AND a coffee shop!! Doesn't get better than that !
2015-09-29 6:19 PM
in reply to: mtnbikerchk

User image

Veteran
South Windsor, CT
who has to be convinced that they've won?
you must have been in the zone and had some good focus going on...

well done...and you SHOULD be proud
2015-09-30 9:54 AM

User image

Master
Overland Park, KS
Wow, that's really cool Adrienne! Hard work payed off, thinking you didn't have a good race and BAM!, course record! Awe, a few male egos messed with once again, LOL

2015-09-30 10:24 AM

User image

Pennsylvania

Kudos, race and series winner!  You are so dedicated and consistent with your training and adventures, it's great to see it pay off.  Congrats on the watch, too!

2015-10-02 1:02 PM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Congratulations!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Tehaleh Trail Run: 5K Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Orangeman Running Series - San Juan Hills Trail Run 5K

Started by gmorning
Views: 1082 Posts: 1

2013-02-04 10:56 PM gmorning

Pike Island Rundezvous 5K Trail Run

Started by autumn
Views: 1428 Posts: 5

2006-04-10 7:32 AM kelpeng

Trout Creek Trail Run - 5K

Started by Lucy
Views: 1525 Posts: 7

2006-03-13 10:22 AM GatorGirl22

Trout Creek 5K Trail Run

Started by F150TPA
Views: 1445 Posts: 15

2006-03-13 10:29 AM GatorGirl22

Nissan XTERRA SCRAMBLE TRAIL RUN SERIES 5K/10K

Started by haygosl
Views: 901 Posts: 1

2005-10-16 8:02 PM haygosl
RELATED ARTICLES
date : July 28, 2011
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
I can train for half marathons on pavement and on trails, but as soon as I change it up to gravel or loose dirt my knee swells and the pain it causes is unreal. Any ideas why this happens?

date : October 30, 2005
author : acbadger
First, with your upcoming 5K, I strongly advise you to check out the “Couch to 5K” training schedule. This training schedule is a GREAT way to get back into running safely and wisely.
date : October 24, 2004
author : tri-en
If you are like many runners you may be frustrated at racing 5K distances and never being able to run them faster. Improve your race pace with this flexible 12 week program.

date : October 17, 2004
author : smeeko
Discover the joys of trail running while also giving your body many benefits.
date : August 29, 2004
author : Ron
comments : 6
Couch to 5k programs for those starting from square one.

comments : 12
This aggressive couch to 5k program will get you running from nothing and will be the lead-up to any of the sprint programs.
comments : 2
This couch to 5k program will get your running in seven months and can be the lead-up to any of the sprint programs.

comments : 2
Overview of two walk/run routines for training for a 5K.