General Discussion Triathlon Talk » how much faster with toe clips than with regular pedaling? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2015-10-01 10:18 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro
Subject: RE: how much faster with toe clips than with regular pedaling?

Originally posted by marcag
Originally posted by Left Brain

I'd like to see a test done using everyday Joe Cyclist instead of a pro cyclist.  I don't think I'm buying that there is no gain for clipped in shoes for Joe....in fact, I'd say that's ridiculous.

If you are right maybe that's saying that Joe Cyclist isn't pedalling efficiently

Yep, I think that's right.   But, in the end, all that matters is that Joe is faster with shoes and clips.  That's where I fall off the page with all this "data".  There are so many variables and differences in people and abilities that some of it can become a giant waste of time and energy.  This is a prime example......"data shows that clipless pedals are no faster than platforms"...or somehting along those lines...and then we get pro cycllicts riding both to come to that conclusion.  No.

Edited by Left Brain 2015-10-01 10:22 AM

2015-10-01 10:40 AM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Extreme Veteran

I'd like to see a test done using everyday Joe Cyclist instead of a pro cyclist.  I don't think I'm buying that there is no gain for clipped in shoes for Joe....in fact, I'd say that's ridiculous.

If you are right maybe that's saying that Joe Cyclist isn't pedalling efficiently

Yep, I think that's right.   But, in the end, all that matters is that Joe is faster with shoes and clips.  That's where I fall off the page with all this "data".  There are so many variables and differences in people and abilities that some of it can become a giant waste of time and energy.  This is a prime example......"data shows that clipless pedals are no faster than platforms"...or somehting along those lines...and then we get pro cycllicts riding both to come to that conclusion.  No.

Actually for me, I am glad they figure this out, to prevent innocent people from being subjected to drills on the bike that

a) waste their time
b) make them slower.

And BTW, I believe there are studies with pro and non pro cyclists with similar results.

2015-10-01 10:55 AM
in reply to: marcag

User image

Pro

Actually for me, I am glad they figure this out, to prevent innocent people from being subjected to drills on the bike that a) waste their time b) make them slower. And BTW, I believe there are studies with pro and non pro cyclists with similar results.

Oh come on.  90% of the population will get faster on a bicycle by just riding more.  The number of people who are actually "wasting their time" or "getting slower" by doing just that are barely countable among bike riders.  Once someone can put out 4.0 w/kg FTP  then maybe we can have a discussion about what wastes time and what doesn't.......but we're going to leave out almost everybody on this board by doing that.

2015-10-01 11:18 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Actually for me, I am glad they figure this out, to prevent innocent people from being subjected to drills on the bike that a) waste their time b) make them slower. And BTW, I believe there are studies with pro and non pro cyclists with similar results.

Oh come on.  90% of the population will get faster on a bicycle by just riding more.  The number of people who are actually "wasting their time" or "getting slower" by doing just that are barely countable among bike riders.  Once someone can put out 4.0 w/kg FTP  then maybe we can have a discussion about what wastes time and what doesn't.......but we're going to leave out almost everybody on this board by doing that.

I was specifically thinking of people doing one leg bike drills, ie wasting their time, getting slower while they could simply be out riding and getting to this 4.0 you dream of :-)
2015-10-01 12:01 PM

User image

Pro

I was specifically thinking of people doing one leg bike drills, ie wasting their time, getting slower while they could simply be out riding and getting to this 4.0 you dream of :-)

I don't dream of it......that's for you data hounds.  I dream of a bike path bordered by blackberry bushes and no cross streets.  I just know what it took to get a few folks quite a bit past that 4.0 mark.......and it didn't have anything to do with studies or data.

2015-10-01 12:08 PM

Master
Northern IL

I don't dream of it......that's for you data hounds.  I dream of a bike path bordered by blackberry bushes and no cross streets.  I just know what it took to get a few folks quite a bit past that 4.0 mark.......and it didn't have anything to do with studies or data.

Sure it did. The people assigning the work had already done their homework before you got there.

2015-10-01 12:15 PM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

So is there no value at all to that type of training...what they call "form work" or whatever?  Is it just something that sounds good but doesn't help?

Heck, even the wackadoodle Sufferfest minons have a circle/quadrant/etc video.

2015-10-01 1:30 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by jmhpsu93
So is there no value at all to that type of training...what they call "form work" or whatever?  Is it just something that sounds good but doesn't help?

Heck, even the wackadoodle Sufferfest minons have a circle/quadrant/etc video.

In fairness there are some really good coaches and cyclists that believe in it
And there are other great coaches and cyclists that say it's BS
Most of the scientific studies say it's not effective

PS : I am referring to the one leg drill, maybe there are other drills that are really good,I don't know

Edited by marcag 2015-10-01 1:39 PM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » how much faster with toe clips than with regular pedaling? Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

Q re replacing toe clips with clipless pedals

Started by amybecca
Views: 857 Posts: 6

2012-04-01 2:12 AM Kevin_MS

Best & Lightest Platform Pedals and Toe Clips

Started by TeamAngel
Views: 5755 Posts: 10

2009-12-17 7:30 PM PennState

Toe Clips vs. Clipless pedals

Started by ryanlc
Views: 7115 Posts: 17

2014-01-10 12:37 AM simpsonbo

pedal toe clips

Started by bbtracie
Views: 863 Posts: 8

2004-08-04 10:28 PM joeinco

anyone use toe clips on their pedals

Started by ginger ninja
Views: 1333 Posts: 20

2004-07-06 8:44 PM epml
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 16, 2011
author : FitWerx
comments : 2
Road cyclists tend to have a higher cadence than triathletes. Why is this? Is it bad?

date : September 25, 2009
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
After I have been cycling for about an hour the three middle toes on my left foot go tingly and then hurt like the blazes. Any clue as to what may be going on?