Other Resources The Political Joe » Russian airstrikes on Syria Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-09-30 11:19 AM

User image

Pro
Tejas
Subject: Russian airstrikes on Syria
This should get interesting quickly. Anyone want to lay odds on how long it takes before the US and Russia 'accidentally' engage each other? I'm actually kind of glad we have obama in office. We can almost assuredly predict that he would order a hasty retreat and let Russia do their thang'. That's a good thing IMO, we certainly don't need war with Russia. What exactly is Putin after here? Oil?

2015-09-30 11:25 AM
in reply to: mdg2003

User image

Pro
Tejas
Subject: RE: Russian airstrikes on Syria
They're defending their naval base in Tartus?
2015-09-30 11:34 AM
in reply to: mdg2003

User image

Pro

Originally posted by mdg2003 This should get interesting quickly. Anyone want to lay odds on how long it takes before the US and Russia 'accidentally' engage each other? I'm actually kind of glad we have obama in office. We can almost assuredly predict that he would order a hasty retreat and let Russia do their thang'. That's a good thing IMO, we certainly don't need war with Russia. What exactly is Putin after here? Oil?

Influence

2015-09-30 11:43 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

The end game for Russia it to re-establish a sphere of influence in the Middle East.

Putin views the world through old KGB glasses and Russian's foreign policy has always been to maintain a Russian dominated buffer of nations around its border.

Putin goal is to re-establish that buffer lost when the USSR fell. I think Putin has calculated very correctly that he can grow his empire with impunity from the West.

Edited by Jackemy1 2015-09-30 11:44 AM
2015-09-30 11:58 AM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by Jackemy1 The end game for Russia it to re-establish a sphere of influence in the Middle East. Putin views the world through old KGB glasses and Russian's foreign policy has always been to maintain a Russian dominated buffer of nations around its border. Putin goal is to re-establish that buffer lost when the USSR fell. I think Putin has calculated very correctly that he can grow his empire with impunity from the West.

If Ruusia is able to lead in the destruction of ISIS, while propping up a sitting Middle East Govt. (Syria), then Putin will have put the final nail in the coffin for U.S. Policy in that region and become the country with the biggest influence on the region.  He knows that....and so does President Obama.

Edited by Left Brain 2015-09-30 11:58 AM
2015-09-30 8:15 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Originally posted by Left Brain

Originally posted by Jackemy1 The end game for Russia it to re-establish a sphere of influence in the Middle East. Putin views the world through old KGB glasses and Russian's foreign policy has always been to maintain a Russian dominated buffer of nations around its border. Putin goal is to re-establish that buffer lost when the USSR fell. I think Putin has calculated very correctly that he can grow his empire with impunity from the West.

If Ruusia is able to lead in the destruction of ISIS, while propping up a sitting Middle East Govt. (Syria), then Putin will have put the final nail in the coffin for U.S. Policy in that region and become the country with the biggest influence on the region.  He knows that....and so does President Obama.

The interesting part is it now appears Putin didn't attack ISIS at all.  I've seen two or three news articles that are saying they attacked the US backed Militants that were trying to take out Assad...  <Insert dramatic music>

2015-09-30 8:27 PM
in reply to: tuwood

User image

Pro

Originally posted by tuwood

The interesting part is it now appears Putin didn't attack ISIS at all.  I've seen two or three news articles that are saying they attacked the US backed Militants that were trying to take out Assad...  

I think he's been pretty clear that he will ally with "the rightful govt. of Syria" in the fight against militants and ISIS.  His position is that the U.S. policy has created a vaccum that gets backfilled with terrorists whenever we get involved in sitting govts.  Kind of hard to argue with that. 

2015-09-30 9:08 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

The interesting part is it now appears Putin didn't attack ISIS at all.  I've seen two or three news articles that are saying they attacked the US backed Militants that were trying to take out Assad...  

I think he's been pretty clear that he will ally with "the rightful govt. of Syria" in the fight against militants and ISIS.  His position is that the U.S. policy has created a vaccum that gets backfilled with terrorists whenever we get involved in sitting govts.  Kind of hard to argue with that. 

Yep, I agree.

When we pull out and the Russians straighten things out I wonder how long it will take for Obama to take credit for fixing everything.  lol

2015-09-30 9:42 PM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Just saw this on facebook.  lol

2015-10-03 12:46 AM

User image

Expert
Boise, Idaho

History Lesson circa 1979.

USSR invades Afghanistan.....nothing good came of that except Rambo 3. 

If they want to wade into this mess,  I'm good with that.  I think it's time we leave Middle East policy to Middle Easterners.

2015-10-03 10:01 AM
in reply to: jeffnboise

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Originally posted by jeffnboise

If they want to wade into this mess,  I'm good with that.  I think it's time we leave Middle East policy to Middle Easterners.

I'm totally with you.  I know the US has done a lot of work to try and get Assad out of business so I hope our leaders don't get prideful and push this into an even bigger mess.  Even iCarly Fiorina is wanting to engage Russian troops because they're attacking Al Qaeda whom we're supporting because they want to overthrow Assad.  You can't make this stuff up.

2015-10-03 10:59 AM

User image

Expert
Oklahoma

My thoughts exactly!
2015-10-03 11:53 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

I'm totally with you.  I know the US has done a lot of work to try and get Assad out of business so I hope our leaders don't get prideful and push this into an even bigger mess.  Even iCarly Fiorina is wanting to engage Russian troops because they're attacking Al Qaeda whom we're supporting because they want to overthrow Assad.  You can't make this stuff up.

There is so much misinformation in your post.  Russian troops haven't engaged anyone, they are just bombing.  They aren't bombing Al Qaeda, they are bombing so called "moderate rebels" that we support to overthrow assad.

They are there because their friend is on his way out and are using ISIS as an excuse to bomb the rebels that we like......superpower pawns.

2015-10-03 4:54 PM
in reply to: dmiller5

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Originally posted by dmiller5

There is so much misinformation in your post.  Russian troops haven't engaged anyone, they are just bombing.  They aren't bombing Al Qaeda, they are bombing so called "moderate rebels" that we support to overthrow assad.

They are there because their friend is on his way out and are using ISIS as an excuse to bomb the rebels that we like......superpower pawns.

lol, I think in the real world bombing somebody is considered engaging them.

I'll see your misinformation and raise you.  

The Russians are bombing Talbiseh which is controlled by the Syrian al-Qaeda affiliate Jabhat al-Nusra.  You are correct that they want to overthrow Assad and that's why Russia is bombing them.  The US doesn't directly support al-Nusra because they are al-Qaeda, but the rebels we support have been giving them US equipment and ammunition.  There was just a big embarrassment last week in the news about the "US Backed rebels" giving them a bunch of ammunition and equipment.  
So it's probably not correct for me to say they're bombing US backed al-Qaeda, but our policy there has been so jacked up that we're indirectly supporting them.

2015-10-03 8:41 PM

User image

Expert
Boise, Idaho

Originally posted by dmiller5

lol, I think in the real world bombing somebody is considered engaging them.

I'll see your misinformation and raise you.  

The Russians are bombing Talbiseh which is controlled by the Syrian al-Qaeda affiliate Jabhat al-Nusra.  You are correct that they want to overthrow Assad and that's why Russia is bombing them.  The US doesn't directly support al-Nusra because they are al-Qaeda, but the rebels we support have been giving them US equipment and ammunition.  There was just a big embarrassment last week in the news about the "US Backed rebels" giving them a bunch of ammunition and equipment.  
So it's probably not correct for me to say they're bombing US backed al-Qaeda, but our policy there has been so jacked up that we're indirectly supporting them.

Actually, It's profoundly correct to say that.  al-Qaeda are directly related to the US backed mujahedeen that fought the Soviets throughout most of the 80's.  See how sticking our noses in the Middle East can come back to haunt us.

2015-10-06 3:12 PM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Does anyone else find it interesting that Russia has virtually wiped ISIS out of Syria in a matter of days?  The US has been "bombing" them for how long?
I don't want to get all conspiracy theory on this, but it appears as though we were doing next to nothing to prevent the growth of ISIS because there's no question the US is far superior to Russia militarily.

Russia Decimates ISIS In Days - Where Was U.S. All This Time?

Russia Claims ISIS Now On The Ropes As Fighters Desert After 60 Airstrikes In 72 Hours

Admittedly it's difficult to find any mention of the attack effectiveness in our mainstream media (for whatever reason) so these source articles are a pretty weak.  However, I can't find anything to dispute them either.

I don't get all conspiracy theory on this, but it appears as though the US had no intentions of fighting or slowing down ISIS.  I'm guessing it's because we wanted Assad gone and ISIS could potentially do that for us.

2015-10-07 6:51 AM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Pravda had quite an opinion piece on the US in Syra (and the middle east as a whole).  wowzers
The sad part is, I'm having a hard time disagreeing with him on the Syria part.

http://english.pravda.ru/opinion/columnists/01-10-2015/132209-western_insolence-0/

2015-10-08 3:36 PM

User image

Champion
Southern Chicago Suburbs, IL
2015-10-08 4:43 PM
in reply to: crowny2

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

lol Thanks for posting that.

I was in the Navy from 91-97 and my job was to maintain the anti-air radar and also manned the console that fired all our missiles.  We used to hear all kinds of stories about how horrible the Russian missile systems were compared to ours.

When i saw in the news yesterday that the Russians started using their cruise missiles my first thought was I hope the heck they're not flying over any cities on the way to Syria.  haha   Guess I was right.  

2015-10-11 9:17 PM

User image

Master
Sunny Southern Cal

Does anyone else find it interesting that Russia has virtually wiped ISIS out of Syria in a matter of days?  The US has been "bombing" them for how long?
I don't want to get all conspiracy theory on this, but it appears as though we were doing next to nothing to prevent the growth of ISIS because there's no question the US is far superior to Russia militarily.

Russia Decimates ISIS In Days - Where Was U.S. All This Time?

Russia Claims ISIS Now On The Ropes As Fighters Desert After 60 Airstrikes In 72 Hours

Admittedly it's difficult to find any mention of the attack effectiveness in our mainstream media (for whatever reason) so these source articles are a pretty weak.  However, I can't find anything to dispute them either.

I don't get all conspiracy theory on this, but it appears as though the US had no intentions of fighting or slowing down ISIS.  I'm guessing it's because we wanted Assad gone and ISIS could potentially do that for us.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-34488087

From the sounds of this BBC article, IS is advancing.

2015-10-11 10:08 PM

User image

Expert
Boise, Idaho

Of course ISIL is advancing, the Soviets are attacking US backed REBEL positions.

Sooooo.....give the rebels Stinger missles and inform the Soviets that the rebels will use them to DEFEND their positions. 

Edited by jeffnboise 2015-10-11 10:08 PM

2015-10-12 8:45 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

Of course ISIL is advancing, the Soviets are attacking US backed REBEL positions.

Sooooo.....give the rebels Stinger missles and inform the Soviets that the rebels will use them to DEFEND their positions. 

This is why I laugh when people say that we effed up and now the Russians get the credit. 

2015-10-12 9:11 AM
in reply to: dmiller5

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

If they're winning then why are so many surrendering?

http://www.mintpressnews.com/over-1000-militants-surrender-to-syrian-army-in-last-24-hours/210151/

In all seriousness it's really difficult to get accurate information out of Syria because everybody is spinning it.  The US media is either ignoring it or talking it up like Russia is invading somebody.  The Russians are talking it up like they defeated ISIS in one week, The rebels and ISIS are talking it up like they're stronger than ever and taking over new meaningless cities.  Who do you believe?

There's no question that Russia or the US could easily wipe out ISIS if they wanted to, but it requires more than simply bombing.  The US did not have any resolve to take down the rebels because they were attacking Assad and our administration wanted him out.  You'd think we'd have learned our lesson after Iraq, Afghanistan, Libya, and Egypt that even though these leaders are bad we typically end up with somebody much worse in charge after we take them out.  

Russia does appear to have the resolve to fully engage ISIS with air and ground troops and if they do they will handily push them out of Syria.  There will certainly be pockets for a long time to come, but nothing substantial like the world has let go on without resistance.

New Thread
Other Resources The Political Joe » Russian airstrikes on Syria Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Syria

Started by CBarnes
Views: 543 Posts: 1

2014-04-20 9:40 PM CBarnes

Syria Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6

Started by tuwood
Views: 8073 Posts: 147

2013-09-10 3:06 PM jeffnboise

Syria - WWCOJD?

Started by ScudRunner
Views: 1860 Posts: 15

2013-05-07 6:32 PM ChineseDemocracy
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 20, 2007
author : Team BT
comments : 0
Russian Twist abdominal exercise instruction with picture and video.