Moderators: the bear, kaqphin, tinkerbeth, D001, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2015-10-01 6:21 PM

User image

Master
Los Angeles, CA
Subject: Run 100 miles in OCT
Hi guys!

Here we go again! 100 miles, let's do it!!!

Gonna be a huge month for me as I'm setting a personal goal to first make it to 100 but also to get as close to 125 miles or more without hurting myself. (I got to 110 miles last month).

Did an FTP test on the bike this morning so I'm gonna give my legs a rest and go swimming after work so it's a 0 running miles day for me today. It's my recovery week anyway, hehehe.

=^.^=
Roland

2015-10-02 4:18 PM
in reply to: kloofyroland

User image

Cypress, Texas
Subject: RE: Run 100 miles in OCT
Since I came close last month. In again.
2015-10-02 7:32 PM

User image

I'm in. One of these days it'll happen, and I may as well make it this month because I'll be dialing down the mileage for the winter.
2015-10-03 9:19 AM

User image

New user
Austin, Texas

I'm in.

Last month was my recovery time, so I'm back to play now. Let's do it!

2015-10-03 8:03 PM
in reply to: trijamie

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tallahassee, Florida
I'm in too.

HM today and then went back out for extra miles. Due to the course, I would leave the finish, go to just past mile 12 marker, back in, back out, back in. Police and aid stations workers kept looking at me funny. One cop looked so confused and I asked him if he was experiencing deja vu; he was glad to find he wasn't seeing double and triple.
2015-10-05 6:50 PM
in reply to: Pink Socks

User image

Master
Los Angeles, CA
Cool!

I'm at 20.53 miles. Had a big training weekend and I'm glad I'm not running today. I need to recover!

2015-10-06 9:28 AM

User image

Cypress, Texas
16 miles so far.
2015-10-09 11:39 AM
in reply to: johnthecat

User image

Master
Los Angeles, CA
Woohoo! 37.68 miles! Feeling great and ready for this weekend's long workouts.
2015-10-09 7:31 PM

User image

26.1 miles as of today. I'm sure I could've run an extra tenth of a mile somewhere.
2015-10-09 11:53 PM
in reply to: CRFTX2001

User image

Master
Los Angeles, CA
Originally posted by CRFTX2001

26.1 miles as of today. I'm sure I could've run an extra tenth of a mile somewhere.

I'm think you did run that tenth. Your GPS was being mean to you during one of your runs.
2015-10-10 2:48 PM

User image

New user
Austin, Texas

29.2 so far. You're killin it Roland!

2015-10-11 8:12 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tallahassee, Florida

LOL. Thought I was the only one that frowned over the tallies that barely missed a nice milestone.

52.9 for me.

Volunteered at a race yesterday and a guy passed out later after the race. Thankfully we had EMTs there and then I called 911. Don't know if it was heat, heart, etc. This comes one month after we lost someone to a fatal heart attack on a training run. Scary.
2015-10-13 1:26 PM

User image

Cypress, Texas
Up to 35 miles
2015-10-14 11:59 AM
in reply to: trijamie

User image

Master
Los Angeles, CA
Thanks Jamie!

We're almost halfway through the month now and I'm sitting on 59.3 miles. I have a long medium run scheduled after work today which will bump me into the 60s, yay!!!
2015-10-14 12:00 PM

User image

Master
Los Angeles, CA
Originally posted by Pink Socks

LOL. Thought I was the only one that frowned over the tallies that barely missed a nice milestone.

52.9 for me.

Volunteered at a race yesterday and a guy passed out later after the race. Thankfully we had EMTs there and then I called 911. Don't know if it was heat, heart, etc. This comes one month after we lost someone to a fatal heart attack on a training run. Scary.

Oh gosh, I hope the guy is okay.

Was it a hot race day?
2015-10-14 5:04 PM

User image

39.6 miles as of yesterday. My run tonight will put me at about 44.

2015-10-16 10:21 AM

User image

Cypress, Texas
I'm at 47
2015-10-16 11:24 AM

User image

Master
Los Angeles, CA
72.35 miles.

Might go for another run after work before I go swimming. I ran on the treadmill this morning so my run later will be super easy paced with some drills mixed in.
2015-10-16 2:26 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tallahassee, Florida
Originally posted by kloofyroland

52.9 for me.

Oh gosh, I hope the guy is okay.

Was it a hot race day?

Thankfully he is fine and was discharged from the hospital the same day. It wasn't as hot as it has been but was still quite warm. He always carries water with him (always, always, always) but I think since this particular 20K was tougher, he was out there longer than expected and maybe didn't have enough water for the final miles. I'm not sure if he got lost as did several of the others.

This week I had a Forrest Gump moment. You know how he ran and ran and suddenly stopped and was done with it? That was me Tuesday morn. Got a massage to work some of the tightness out of me so now I have to mentally toughen up and get thru the last stages of this training cycle. Currently at 77 miles.

Edited by Pink Socks 2015-10-16 2:29 PM
2015-10-18 3:20 PM

User image

Cypress, Texas
Did my longest run ever today with 8.5 miles (I know you guys do that in your sleep). Considering I almost lost my ability to walk 3 years ago not too bad I guess.

With Friday evenings run this puts me at 61 miles.
2015-10-19 8:02 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tallahassee, Florida
Originally posted by johnthecat

Did my longest run ever today with 8.5 miles (I know you guys do that in your sleep). Considering I almost lost my ability to walk 3 years ago not too bad I guess.

Don't negate your longest run ever. Celebrate! We can all think that what we do isn't as good, as fast, as far, as fluid, etc. as the next person but we should all be proud of our accomplishments. That is awesome! So are you willing to share your story from 3 years ago? If not, that is ok. Congratulations tho on the long run.

2015-10-19 1:52 PM

User image

Cypress, Texas

Originally posted by johnthecat

Don't negate your longest run ever. Celebrate! We can all think that what we do isn't as good, as fast, as far, as fluid, etc. as the next person but we should all be proud of our accomplishments. That is awesome! So are you willing to share your story from 3 years ago? If not, that is ok. Congratulations tho on the long run.

Long story but here it goes:

In January of 2013 I went on a business trip to Calgary. I just came off a sinus infection and an ear infection a few weeks prior. We checked in to our hotel and went out to grab a bite to lunch. At the restaurant I started to get real weak, nauseated and my balance seemed off. Coming off the ear infection I figured the plane ride might have given me vertigo or something. I tried to see if it would get any better during lunch but it didn't so my boss sent me to the hotel to rest. Once I got to the hotel room the weakness got worse. In addition to the weakness now I had a bunch of other symptoms as well. Dry heaving, diarrhea, cold sweats and muscle pain, along with the dizziness and nausea that didn't get any better. It also felt like someone completely zapped all energy out of my body. I ended up pretty much sleeping of and on all afternoon and night. In the morning we went to the ER (in -8F cold, quite brutal when you live in Houston). The Doctor there thought it might be BPV (Benign Positional Vertigo) and performed a maneuver on me to clear that up. At that time I felt a little bit better but not even close to where I thought I could do anything productive on this trip. I had the Doctor give me a medical clear so I could fly back to Houston. Was able to catch a flight a few hours later, had airport personal push me through the airport in a wheelchair, sat in the last row on the plane so I could just rest the whole trip and finally arrived back in Houston that evening where my wife picked me up.

Went to the ENT the next day. She thought BPV sounded plausible, repeated the maneuver, put me in a neck brace and also told me to keep head elevated and rest for a couple of days and see how it goes. Well I did end up feeling a little bit better after the two days, but then the weakness came back with the dizziness. The ENT sent me back to the regular Doc who told me I'm dehydrated but also ran a few blood tests. Nothing popped on the blood tests and the weakness and fatigue did not get any better. Now in addition to the fatigue and nausea it felt like my legs would stop working. It's hard to describe, but it literally felt like at any given minute I wouldn't be able to use my legs. I went to a different doc. Again, bunch of blood tests and EKG. The EKG did apparently show some abnormalities so they referred me to a Cardiologist. I also had the GP run Thyroid tests, which came back negative. Went to see Cardiologist who couldn't find anything, but ordered an Echo and a 48 hour holter monitor. While waiting on all that I went back to the GP for more extensive blood test. Finally they found something. Creatine Kinase slightly high so he referred me to a Rheumatologist. Appointment was few weeks out. In the meantime the dizziness had not gotten much better and now I had tingling in my arms and feet along with my neck. I found myself a neurologist and forced myself an appointment. Neurologist thought post viral and put me on steroids. Meanwhile I had my echo done along with a stress test. Everything was ok there other than Athlete's heart which is nothing to worry about. Steroids seemed to help a little bit with the symptoms, but also killed my sleep and made me super hungry. ( I ended up gaining a total of 20+ pounds)

Next on the list was the Rheumatologist who had no clue either and ran a bunch of blood tests to rule out all the bad stuff. He didn't find anything. Meanwhile the steroid prescription was up and symptoms came back and even got worse in some cases. Now my heart rate was all over the place. From high 40's resting to over 100 resting. Blood pressure the same. All over the place. I had sweating episodes that lasted 10 to 15 minutes and then they went away. Same with the heart rate. Out of the blue heart started racing for 15-30 minutes than back to normal. Nausea off and on, balance issues, dizziness, stomach discomfort, low body temperature, neck pain, lower back and glutes pain. Stuff all over the map. Neurologist put me on another set of steroids. I also made an appointment with an Orthopedic Doctor due to the tingling in the neck and hands. Ortho put me on anti-inflammatories, prescribed PT and pain pills.

We are now well into April and I still had no clue on what exactly hit me. Over the next few weeks I went to the PT, took my anti-inflammatories and things were getting a little better until I had another setback early June. More steroids and then later in the month the Ortho did a neck MRI. He then told me I needed neck surgery, but he would like to do an EMG first (which is a nerve conduction study showing how quickly nerves respond and can tell a Dr. if there's nerve damage). I seized the opportunity to go to a different Neurologist for the EMG to get a second opinion on what's been going on and had that appointment mid July. She did the EMG and finds nerve damage in my legs and my arms. She says that she doesn't think I need neck surgery, but that it seems that I have some sort of neuropathy. Over the course of the next month she orders a battery of more blood tests, along with a brain MRI (to check for MS), MRA to check for blood flow restrictions, a skeletal survey to check for bone cancer and a spinal tap to check for protein in my spinal fluids.

Finally at the end of August the spinal tap in conjunction with the EMG gave me a confirmed diagnosis. Guillain-Barre Syndrome (small fiber dominant) which is an auto immune disease that effects the myelin sheath (outer layer) of your peripheral nerves. She confirmed that the disease caused damage to my legs and arms and my autonomous system which explains all the other weird symptoms I had (blood pressure, heart rate, sweating, nausea etc.) and that at this point the only thing to do is let the nerves heal themselves (The acute version of disease is self limiting and the body generally recovers by itself, though not in all cases all the nerve damage can be reversed).

Ever since then I've been working on getting myself back to normal. Along that journey I had to do additional therapy on getting my vestibular ocular reflex (responsible for balance and steadiness) back in shape and I also found out I developed an insensitivity to caffeine, which aggravated my symptoms every time I had a cup of coffee. I had to redevelop muscle function and strength and I'm finally at a point where everything seems to be fully functioning again, just not as fast as it just to. I was also finally able to drop the 20 pounds I gained and a few extras I needed to get rid of.

In the greater theme of things while it was rough during the 7 month not having a diagnosis I got lucky that I got hit with a "mild" version of the disease. In many cases the nerve damage progresses that people are temporarily paralyzed and have to be on a ventilator as some people's lung muscles stop functioning. You can read more here: http://www.gbs-cidp.org/and https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guillain%E2%80%93Barr%C3%A9_syndrome

Anyhow. I might never be able to place in my age group, but I will always know that I can STILL MOVE. Now that I have a couple of races under my belt I'll try to spread more awareness to this disease via my Triathlon's going forward (I'm currently working on a custom Tri design).

I hope that wasn't too lengthy. Thanks for showing interest
2015-10-20 8:36 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tallahassee, Florida
Oh man, John, you went thru it! So sorry about of it - the long process of misdiagnosis, the recovery, and being affected by it. You have a great attitude. Keep of the great work.
2015-10-20 12:30 PM

User image

New user
Austin, Texas

70.1 for me. I should crack 100 this week I think.

Thanks for telling your story, John. I actually know exactly how you feel with the frustration of not getting a diagnosis. Hope you come back strong!

2015-10-20 2:14 PM

User image

Master
Los Angeles, CA

Thankfully he is fine and was discharged from the hospital the same day. It wasn't as hot as it has been but was still quite warm. He always carries water with him (always, always, always) but I think since this particular 20K was tougher, he was out there longer than expected and maybe didn't have enough water for the final miles. I'm not sure if he got lost as did several of the others.

This week I had a Forrest Gump moment. You know how he ran and ran and suddenly stopped and was done with it? That was me Tuesday morn. Got a massage to work some of the tightness out of me so now I have to mentally toughen up and get thru the last stages of this training cycle. Currently at 77 miles.

Whew, that's good to hear. Maybe he should have put some electrolytes in his water.

I know how you felt about suddenly stopping. That nearly happened to me on Saturday during my long bike ride but then thinking about juicy burgers and extra krispy fries helped alot, hehehe.
New Thread
Other Resources Challenge Me! » Run 100 miles in OCT Rss Feed  

of 3

RELATED POSTS

Run 100 miles in SEPT Pages: 1 2

Started by kloofyroland
Views: 5033 Posts: 31

2015-10-01 6:13 PM kloofyroland

100 miles run in June Pages: 1 2 3 4

Started by ceilidh
Views: 10878 Posts: 92

2015-06-30 9:21 PM trijamie

February 100 Mile Run Challenge Pages: 1 2 3

Started by MSU_Brad
Views: 9895 Posts: 75

2014-03-03 9:58 AM MechEChick

January 100 Mile Run Challenge! Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12

Started by dtoce
Views: 24401 Posts: 290

2014-02-04 9:15 AM MechEChick

The 100+ mile club - July running studs/studettes ..... Pages: 1 2 3 4

Started by Daremo
Views: 10828 Posts: 84

2006-07-19 7:38 PM celena
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 15, 2013
author : JeffY
comments : 0
JeffY reviews this rear water bottle carrier on a variety of saddles.

date : February 1, 2012
author : XLAB Hydration
comments : 2
Less drag than frame bottles
date : April 14, 2011
author : Troy Jacobson
What is the difference between a recovery ride and junk miles?

date : September 15, 2008
author : lcthomas74
Soon after I got married, I decided I needed to get motivated to work out and focus on getting back into shape. I could barely jog a quarter-mile without needing a walk break.
date : April 2, 2006
author : a.maria
I think quite truly for the first time I 'get it'. It's not just about the fitness. It's not just about the great little endorphin rush as you hit 5, 10, 15 miles...its not just the medal at the end.