General Discussion Race Reports! » Stonebridge Ranch Triathlon - Olympic Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Stonebridge Ranch Triathlon - Olympic - Triathlon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
McKinney, Texas
United States
Playtri
65F / 18C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 21m 37s
Overall Rank = 27/164
Age Group = M 30-34
Age Group Rank = 9/26
Pre-race routine:

Had to wake up a little earlier than normal (3:55am) so I had time to eat and go to the bathroom and watch a little Married with Children before the 45 minute drive to McKinney.
Event warmup:

Since Rachel wasn't doing this event, I got to wear regular running shoes and do normal warm-up and then gave her my shoes/socks afterwards. Did not get to get into lake prior to race.
Swim
  • 24m 23s
  • 1500 meters
  • 01m 38s / 100 meters
Comments:

I made sure to swim at my own pace and not go out too hard. It was a little congested at first and I was right in the middle of it. Maybe should have started towards the outside, but my swim was great.
Transition 1
  • 02m 43s
Comments:

Had trouble clipping in after dismount line
What would you do differently?:

Learn to ride with feet on top of shoes and have them already clipped in.
Bike
  • 1h 04m 21s
  • 22 miles
  • 20.51 mile/hr
Comments:

Tried to not go too hard on the bike so I didn't gas out on the run. Time was only 8 seconds better than last year! That's not so bueno. Thought my bike fitness was better than that.

Train harder on bike with more emphasis on speed and harder effort pulls.
Transition 2
  • 01m 51s
Comments:

Did have to put socks on to wear my normal running shoes, so that slowed me down a bit in transition.
Run
  • 48m 17s
  • 6.2 miles
  • 07m 47s  min/mile
Comments:

Went out at a comfortable pace. It's always in the back of my mind about my quads cramping, so I try to do everything I can so that doesn't happen. I got water at just about every aid station and splashed it in my face and drank whatever happened to splash into my mouth. When I was exiting T2 my watch was right at 1:33:00, so my goal was to finish the race by 2:15:00 making my run 42 minutes equaling 7 minute miles. I knew that was a stretch, but that was my goal anyway. At the halfway point I was about 5 minutes slower than I should have been, so I was a little bummed about that and told myself I needed to negative split the second half. Going up the big hill after the halfway point is when my quads decided to start cramping. So on every uphill thereafter I had to take it a little easy. By about mile 5 or so there was someone coming up on me and I didn't want anyone to pass me so I increased my pace hoping to kill their spirit Prefontaine style. The lady ended up passing me in the last 150 meters, but she was also cutting some corners on the course. I let her pass me. I ended up running about 2-3 minutes faster on the second half of the run than the first, so I was satisfied.

Do more bike/run workouts and start taking salt tabs or something for my quads.
Post race
Warm down:

Stretch and eat. I was really feeling hungry the last couple of miles on the run.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I had very good mental effort this race, but I'm sure I can still do better at pushing myself.

Event comments:

Playtri is good with their organization of the race which is better than others I have attended. Post race activities and booths/tents could use some improvement though.

Last updated: 2015-05-31 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:24:23 | 1500 meters | 01m 38s / 100meters
Age Group: 12/26
Overall: 57/164
Performance: Good
Suit: No
Course: 2 loop course. Directions prior to race start said we didn't have to go through orange start buoys, but almost everyone went through them anyway. I didn't, but still swam close to them.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 83F / 28C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Good Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:43
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
01:04:21 | 22 miles | 20.51 mile/hr
Age Group: 7/26
Overall: 25/164
Performance: Average
Wind: Little
Course: 4 loops, slightly hilly
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:51
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:48:17 | 06.2 miles | 07m 47s  min/mile
Age Group: 6/26
Overall: 22/164
Performance: Good
Course: Out & back on slightly hilly course. Helped that it was the same course as last year, so I knew what was in store.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2015-10-02 7:38 AM

User image

Regular
Euless, Texas
Subject: Stonebridge Ranch Triathlon - Olympic
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Stonebridge Ranch Triathlon - Olympic Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Stonebridge Ranch Triathlon - Olympic

Started by aggiebe
Views: 1140 Posts: 1

2010-09-28 8:40 AM aggiebe

Started by mashmead
Views: 1192 Posts: 2

2010-09-29 3:14 PM cbh

Started by rhetts
Views: 1361 Posts: 2

2010-09-27 12:28 PM Boogie7247

Started by antman
Views: 1275 Posts: 1

2010-09-27 10:29 AM antman

Stonebridge Ranch Triathlon - Olympic Distance

Started by tri_sandz
Views: 1709 Posts: 7

2007-10-04 2:23 PM tri_sandz
RELATED ARTICLES
date : November 29, 2011
author : vagus
comments : 3
A retrospective of how I lost 140 pounds and started a love affair with triathlon.

date : August 2, 2010
author : HerveB
comments : 8
I looked at the swim buoys and start thinking, "Man! How am I ever going to swim that? That looks like a very long distance from the bridge. I have never done it in one go." There's no turning back.
date : October 20, 2008
author : araqnid
comments : 0
After doing duathlons for the last couple of years, I decided to go for a triathlon. Starting with an Olympic-distance race perhaps wasn't wise, but it was fun (of a sort).

date : September 12, 2007
author : johnrunner
comments : 6
Race report on the Chattanooga Waterfront Tri - Beginners Point of View. This was my first Olympic length triathlon and also the first time I had done a race with cycling shoes instead of cages.
date : July 30, 2006
author : drunkpeter
I signed up for a Sprint in July, an Olympic distance in September, and the Alcatraz tri in October. If I'm going to do it, I'm going to do it all the way.

date : July 2, 2006
author : acbadger
comments : 1
Keep in mind that the taper period is as important to your body as all of the long hours you’ve put in the pool, on the bike and on the road. It is meant to help you rest, recover and rejuvenate.
date : August 30, 2004
author : Ron
A couch to olympic triathlon training program. These programs will take you from a walk/run program, to a sprint, then to an olympic.

date : August 29, 2004
author : Ron
comments : 2
Program outline of the 16 and 20 week olympic triathlon training plans.