General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Fluid Trainer Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-10-02 8:27 AM

User image

Subject: Fluid Trainer
Hey All:

Hope you are all enjoying your Friday! I have a quick question. I wanted to get everyone's advice regarding fluid trainers. I am picking up my first Tri specific bike today (anniversary present from my wife) and obviously living in the northeast, it is getting colder and winter will be here. I plan to still ride on warmer winter days, but acknowledge that those are far and few between.

Can anyone recommend a good fluid trainer that isn't crazy expensive. Also, I imagine its like running on a treadmill, very boring. Anyone have any suggestions on how to make the most of the time on the trainer?

Thanks for all your insights!

2015-10-02 8:49 AM
in reply to: tjrussjr1

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
Subject: RE: Fluid Trainer
Kurt Kinetic Road Machine is what I'd consider the "standard" in an indestructible, no frills good trainer. Of course the smart trainers are very nice as well, but definitely high on the price scale.

As to what to do to make it less boring... there are plenty of options... sufferfest, trainerroad, zwift, netflix, music, etc...
2015-10-02 8:50 AM

you will likely find past threads on this if you search. I bought a Kurt Kinetic Road Machine fluid trainer off Craigslist. It was the most unused thing ever, and it was $100 including a riser block (not needed). It has been nothing short of great. I would recommend that model to anyone looking for a "dumb" fluid trainer, and would also recommend you take a minute and look in the used market as similar to treadmills a lot of these devices go relatively unused and eventually sold to get rid of them.

As for boredom, you will hear a few things from prior threads, and usually they are: Trainer Road (google it) and watching something (Sufferfest, Netflix, etc), and maybe Zwift (google it too). For me, I have had a good luck using trainer road while watching a TV series or something on HBO/Netflix...time goes by much easier and its a motivator to get on to keep watching the show.
2015-10-02 10:09 AM

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

Yup, a KK Road Machine, indestructible and if you ever need it great customer service.  As stated above, some great deals can be found on Craigslist.

If you don't have a power meter, then many will recommend training with virtual power that uses the trainers speed vs watts curve.  To use any of the trainer programs out there such as Trainer Road, MaximumTrainer (MT has the BT cycling plan built in), etc., you'll need a PC/laptop, USB ANT+ receiver dongle and ANT+ speed sensor.

2015-10-02 10:11 AM

, Idaho
Another vote for the Kurt Kinetic.

I've never been bored on the trainer. My favorite workouts are sufferfest...keeps me engaged. But nothings wrong with blaring the ac/dc or watching tv/movies (as long as you are paying attention to your effort). I suggest most of your workouts should include intervals verse just pedaling away at a moderate pace.

Lots of videos/programs/resources out there for indoor cycling. Subscribe to TrainerRoad if you're serious about real improvement.
2015-10-02 10:27 AM

User image

Pineville, North Carolina
I bought a used Kurt Kinetic Road Machine on eBay about three years ago and have used it a lot. No problems and no regrets.

I also use TrainerRoad with Sufferfest videos to keep things interesting...

2015-10-02 11:56 AM
in reply to: roserc

User image

Expert
Oklahoma
I have a Travel Trac Comp Fluid trainer that I've put 160 hours on and it has worked flawlessly. I've ridden on Kurt Kinetic's and Cyclops Fluid trainers while getting fits and I couldn't tell the difference between them and the Travel Trac. The Travel Trac is $139.99 at Performance bike.com.
2015-10-02 12:04 PM
in reply to: EKH

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by EKH I have a Travel Trac Comp Fluid trainer that I've put 160 hours on and it has worked flawlessly. I've ridden on Kurt Kinetic's and Cyclops Fluid trainers while getting fits and I couldn't tell the difference between them and the Travel Trac. The Travel Trac is $139.99 at Performance bike.com.

If the cheaper ones can keep up with the entire resistance curve (another model I've had would limit out on its max), then it becomes about durability. Or how long it lasts. Might have like 10 times that with the KK and still going fine.

2015-10-02 12:14 PM

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

I don't think you can go wrong with either the KK or Cycleops Fluid.  I've got about 10,000 miles on my Cycleops and it is still perfect.

If you are new to trainers a few things you may want to consider.  First, you might want to invest in some kind of waterproof mat, especially if you will be on carpet or wood floor.  Second, over the course of a winter's worth of riding, sweat is corrosive.  I've had to replace bolts and rebuild brake calipers from the effects.  Draping a towel or something over the cockpit will help.

As for boredom, I have a 65 inch screen and surround sound in my trainer room.  Netflix series and movies are great.  I went through every episode of Star Trek a few years ago.  Last year watched the series, Revolution.  Also, youtube has many of the old NBC Ironman races which are pretty motivational.  Other Youtube shows that I watch are old ITU triathlon races, cyclocross races, various road bike races (Paris-Roubaix), road bike tours.  When I find an interesting series I actually look forward to my trainer time. 

2015-10-02 12:29 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Detroit, Michigan
I also found a used Travel Trac and it works perfectly well for my needs. I might buy the electronic doo-hickeys this winter so I can train with power, but as I'm dead BOP on the bike just getting on and pedaling is the most important thing. =) Make it a habit to check Craigslist every couple of days. You might be able to score a deal after Christmas if Santa brings some triathletes new trainers.

I watch a LOT of Netflix on the treadmill and trainer during winter (I'm in Michigan). This winter I watched all of Parks and Rec, Breaking Bad, Arrested Development, House of Cards, Freaks and Geeks, The Unbreakable Kimmy Schmid, Deadwood, and probably a couple others. Don't allow yourself to watch Netflix any other time and you will almost look forward to the trainer time. =)

2015-10-02 12:38 PM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Expert
Oklahoma
Originally posted by brigby1

Originally posted by EKH I have a Travel Trac Comp Fluid trainer that I've put 160 hours on and it has worked flawlessly. I've ridden on Kurt Kinetic's and Cyclops Fluid trainers while getting fits and I couldn't tell the difference between them and the Travel Trac. The Travel Trac is $139.99 at Performance bike.com.

If the cheaper ones can keep up with the entire resistance curve (another model I've had would limit out on its max), then it becomes about durability. Or how long it lasts. Might have like 10 times that with the KK and still going fine.

I had some of the same concerns you mentioned but I can tell you but after I read some of DC Rainmakers positive reviews on Travel Trac I thought I would give it a try since it is so much cheaper. I couldn't be happier with my decision it has all the resistance I need and so far has been very durable. I can't say how durable yet since I've only had is since last summer but so far so good.

2015-10-02 12:56 PM

User image

Congrats on new bike.

x2 on Cycleops and Trainer Rd. The Sufferfest videos are great and improved my bike fitness quite a bit last winter. I would also recommend an industrial strength fan. Amazing how much you sweat on the trainer without moving, so definitely protect cockpit as best as you can.

During my trainer time I worked on holding aero position. Bought first tri bike last year and had not ridden much in aero. Started with small increments 5 min and continued to extend each ride until I felt comfortable holding for hour or so. For me it was harder to do this on trainer than outside ,since less movement in saddle. So when I did get outside if felt very easy.

good luck.
2015-10-03 12:28 PM
in reply to: #5144364

User image

, North Carolina
I've had my travel trac for 2 years and love it! I see no reason to spend more for it. And as mentioned before, DCrainmaker says that was his first trainer and the best budget option out there. But get the fluid version. The mag one topsnout at 300w. I believe the fluid goes up to 1100w.
2015-10-03 1:54 PM
in reply to: #5144555

I try to watch shows on my Apple TV direct through the network app va Netflixz. The network apps have commercial breaks, and I sprint during every commercial break. Easy peasy intervals.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Fluid Trainer Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Fluid trainer or mag trainer?

Started by chevy57
Views: 2170 Posts: 11

2009-10-08 11:02 AM mmrocker13

Fluid Trainer

Started by Jaxboater
Views: 1242 Posts: 8

2007-07-11 12:36 PM drewb8

Magnetic vs. Fluid Trainers

Started by MikeTheBear
Views: 1248 Posts: 8

2007-01-25 6:55 PM vortmax

Fluid Trainer and Tyre wear

Started by kaqphin
Views: 1029 Posts: 8

2006-07-04 11:54 AM vortmax

Help on fluid trainer choice

Started by roxx
Views: 1666 Posts: 16

2006-02-21 4:21 PM roxx
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 25, 2012
author : FitWerx
comments : 0
This article will discuss the differences between TrainerRoad and PowerTap's power numbers and how to best use each of them.

date : November 28, 2011
author : juliapurr
Bored out of your mind or watching a movie? Amp it up on the bike trainer.
date : November 5, 2010
author : FitWerx
Do you struggle to hold your power output indoors versus outdoors? The keys to this problem are due to lack of cooling and the flywheel effect.

date : February 4, 2009
author : mikericci
Here are our most popular questions for training during the off season. Everything from treadmills to heart rate monitors to core strength.
date : January 3, 2009
author : Coach AJ
comments : 3
We review the Halo Swim Trainer and how it can help the 'high elbow catch' part of your swim stroke along with your swimming tempo.

date : December 28, 2008
author : mat steinmetz
comments : 1
Tired of your bike trainer already? Here are two indoor bike trainer workouts that you can use to keep things interesting while keeping your cycling fitness up.
date : December 3, 2008
author : dexter
comments : 15
What are rollers? How can rollers help your bike training? Learn how to use your first set of rollers without doing too much bodily harm to yourself.

date : September 1, 2004
author : TriSports.com
As the Holiday season approaches and temperatures steadily drop, triathletes become faced with a difficult decision, to ride or not to ride.