General Discussion Triathlon Talk » swimming with contacts Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-10-02 8:44 PM

New user

Subject: swimming with contacts
I am a 44 year old female from Louisiana. I am doing IMFL in a few weeks. My husband and I just got home from Panama City, (went to train a few days on the course). While we were swimming, he asked me a few questions that I have gone over a few times in my head. One of the most important ones frankly scares the CRAP out of me. I am 2 points aways from being leagaly blind! I wear contact lens. I dont even own a pair of glasses!!! I literally cant see a thing without them. Without them I can only see LARGE things and they are VERY blury. I am trying to think ahead and plan for the worse. IF my goggles get kicked off there is the possibility of losing my contacts. Has this happened to anyone? How did you handle it? Prescription goggles are out of the question. My prescription is too high.

2015-10-02 8:55 PM
in reply to: sbrown454

User image

Expert
Oklahoma
Subject: RE: swimming with contacts
I would wear my goggles under my swim cap so if they get kicked you won't lose your goggles. You probably won't lose both contacts if all you have to do is stop and adjust your goggles. I would leave an extra set of contacts and small mirror in transition just in case you lose a contact on the swim. Also, if you are really worried about it you can always swim on the outside where there is very limited contact.
2015-10-03 5:28 AM
in reply to: EKH

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL

Originally posted by EKH I would wear my goggles under my swim cap so if they get kicked you won't lose your goggles. You probably won't lose both contacts if all you have to do is stop and adjust your goggles. I would leave an extra set of contacts and small mirror in transition just in case you lose a contact on the swim. Also, if you are really worried about it you can always swim on the outside where there is very limited contact.

That pretty much describes what I do for every race.  Fortunately in eleven years of doing triathlons I've never had a problem with my contacts.

Mark

2015-10-03 7:03 AM
in reply to: #5144495

, Ontario
The first response describes exactly what i do as well although I don't bother with a mirror as I put my contacts in without a mirror. I would add two things. I also have a cloth beside the extra contacts in transition to make sure my fingers are entirely clean before putting on the contacts. And, while I've never lost a contact I did have an pleasant experience in August at a tri. My take home from that experience was to bring and take my allergy eye drops as a precautionary measure before every swim. I developed a reaction to some pollen a couple of years ago only in my eyes. It's not constant and I haven't yet figured out what triggers the itchy red eyes. At the tri in August there was a lot of wind and rough water It was a couple of hours drive from my house and must have had different pollen there than where I live as I'd been fine at my house. My eyes went red, itchy and impossible to see or keep my contacts in just before the swim started. The good news for you is that if you don't have allergies this may never happen to you and that even with my eyes swollen and literally crying with tears, the goggles kept the contacts from being washed out which I believe means we worry about this more than we need to
2015-10-03 7:46 AM
in reply to: RedCorvette

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania

Originally posted by RedCorvette

Originally posted by EKH I would wear my goggles under my swim cap so if they get kicked you won't lose your goggles. You probably won't lose both contacts if all you have to do is stop and adjust your goggles. I would leave an extra set of contacts and small mirror in transition just in case you lose a contact on the swim. Also, if you are really worried about it you can always swim on the outside where there is very limited contact.

That pretty much describes what I do for every race.  Fortunately in eleven years of doing triathlons I've never had a problem with my contacts.

Mark

x3.  I wear contacts, and have never lost one racing.  I think I may have lost one or two at the most training over the years, but I'm not even sure if I'm remembering that correctly.  I used to keep an extra set in transition, but stopped doing that several years ago.

Also, even if your goggles are knocked off, you'll instinctively close your eyes and they're unlikely to come out.

2015-10-03 12:29 PM
in reply to: CarolynS

User image

Portland, Oregon
A pro triathlete at an OWS clinic told us to wear our swim goggles tighter in a race than we ever would in training...tight enough to give you a headache. He wore his goggles over his swim cap, and said he had never lost them in a race.

2015-10-03 1:18 PM
in reply to: martymo

User image

I personally prefer to swim with corrective vision goggles over contacts.

http://www.speedousa.com/vanquisher-optical-goggle/style-7500601
2015-10-03 1:23 PM
in reply to: martymo

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania

Originally posted by martymo A pro triathlete at an OWS clinic told us to wear our swim goggles tighter in a race than we ever would in training...tight enough to give you a headache. He wore his goggles over his swim cap, and said he had never lost them in a race.

I wouldn't recommend this strategy.  Many goggles will leak if they're overly tight.

2015-10-03 1:42 PM
in reply to: TriMyBest

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Originally posted by TriMyBest

Originally posted by martymo A pro triathlete at an OWS clinic told us to wear our swim goggles tighter in a race than we ever would in training...tight enough to give you a headache. He wore his goggles over his swim cap, and said he had never lost them in a race.

I wouldn't recommend this strategy.  Many goggles will leak if they're overly tight.

+1

I've never had any trouble with contacts or losing goggles.  I wear mine outside of my cap too - for some reason my goggles leak (just the left one) if the strap is under the cap.  Doesn't make any sense but it happens repeatedly and with different sets.

2015-10-05 9:43 AM
in reply to: axteraa

User image

Regular
Hamilton, IL
Just one more saying that you probably won't have any issues. BUT, heed the advice to have a spare set in transition.

Was doing a race yesterday and a lady DNS because she lost a contact before even entering the water and didn't have spares or even glasses. They drove to the race from home which was just too far to make it before the race began. all of that registration and training, I can only imagine how sucky she felt about that ordeal. I know some people might try to race with one contact, but you sound like your vision is similar to mine. I'd be in some major hurt for a long race. I might try a sprint, but nothing more with one contact. No contacts (or glasses)? No way!
2015-10-05 10:07 AM
in reply to: EKH

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Yes to all of this. I don't know what kind of contacts you wear, but if you wear disposables you might ask your eye doc for samples of daily wear contacts. That way you can throw a pair in your transition bag without worrying about the cost of potentially not getting them back.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » swimming with contacts Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

swimming with contact lenses Pages: 1 2

Started by Axis of Weasel
Views: 2374 Posts: 41

2010-09-26 11:42 AM Karl Hungus

Contacts and swimming Pages: 1 2

Started by Stitch26.2
Views: 1149 Posts: 31

2007-07-05 6:01 PM Stitch26.2

Don't swim with contact lenses in Pages: 1 2

Started by tc681
Views: 2304 Posts: 26

2007-06-07 2:35 PM dylanslovey

Swimming and contact lenses

Started by seaduspx
Views: 1011 Posts: 14

2006-11-09 10:22 AM AdventureBear

Swimming and contact lenses?

Started by CptnJackSparrow
Views: 1082 Posts: 20

2004-08-05 10:59 AM selianth
RELATED ARTICLES
date : July 14, 2015
author : CoachCK
comments : 1
It's time to improve upon your weakness in the water and start swimming faster. Instead of ignoring your swim skills (or lack thereof), it’s time to face them head-on.

date : September 13, 2011
author : garyhallsr
comments : 2
What triathletes can learn from a new world record in the 1500 meters
date : July 18, 2011
author : garyhallsr
comments : 5
World-record swimmer gives advice on correct breathing technique

date : October 29, 2008
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 0
Triathlon swim training discussions on the pull, open water swimming all year, winter swim focus, bilateral breathing during a race and Ironman swim training in 6 weeks.
date : March 17, 2008
author : randomescape
comments : 10
I first decided I was going to "do" a triathlon in 1994. It wasn't until 13 years later, in 2007 that I actually did. Why did it take me 13 years to get to the starting line? The swim!

date : April 2, 2006
Discussions on endurance building, bilateral breathing, kick drills with zoomers, tri versus competitive swimming, ramping up for a HIM and swim golf.
date : May 3, 2005
comments : 1
Swimming and golf can both present you with a meditative-like form of exercise that I have found to be both fulfilling and fun!

date : October 10, 2004
Many people in the triathlon world think they need to just emulate Ian Thorpe to have a faster time, or have a similar stroke to Michael Phelps to cruise through the swim. Unfortunately...