Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2015-10-06 2:28 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM
Subject: RE: Cross Country season...

I found a XC race a couple weeks ago. It was an open event before the HS kids had their invitational.  What a blast. Like LB said, so laid back and running the trails was awesome. The HSers lined the course and cheered for us geezers. Sticking around to watch them race was fun too.

The open race was competative at the pointy end but everyone else was just out there having fun.

2015-10-06 4:30 PM

Originally posted by Hot Runner

That sounds like great triathlon training! But it might be a bit much for most kids that age if they ended up in two different practices on one day, especially back to back (i.e. running after swimming). At our school we put the swim and run practices on different days so kids can do both (sadly, there's no safe place for kids to bike, so I haven't offered a tri club); the kids who are interested in tri do that. If he has good basic fitness though, and it's not interfering with academics, he might be okay with a morning swim practice and afternoon running or cycling--I used to even do triple in the summer sometimes at ages 11-13 (swim team-track/sports camp--swim team again). Then again, I was a really high energy kid and that was my idea of fun!

He swims year round (9 mos ish) with a club. Right now he is swimming 3 evenings and Sat morning. But He will be with a different group next year. I assume the XC practice is right after school. The CX practice is only one day a week with a handful of races. But what amount to 3 fall sports is a lot. I need to see if he wants to race in short course mtb which would fall in between short course swim and long course.

He has done a handful of tri's and swim/run bi's.

He says he likes the contact of CX better than the tri's he has entered.

2015-10-06 5:27 PM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
I feel fortunate in that regard. I don't recall doing more than 35-40 mpw in high school, at least consistently. But that was enough to get me to a 1:19 half and sub-3 marathon. Those would have both been spring races, after a summer of swimming, and very minimal running until maybe three months before the race(or track season my junior and senior years).. I recall thinking throughout high school that running was an "easier" sport, because the coaches didn't/couldn't ask you to train 3 hours a day, and go hard every single day, whereas with swimming, they could and did. It definitely helped build my aerobic base. I wasn't good enough, or located near enough to a community that had one, to be on a year-round swim club, but if a kid has that chance and is really motivated, then yes, at least for middle school and early HS, bake a swimming cake with run/bike icing--is the safest route and definitely develops mental toughness.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Cross Country season... Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

Cross Country and Track

Started by paddle2paddle
Views: 500 Posts: 1

2008-10-02 3:36 PM paddle2paddle

Running on a Varsity Cross Country Team

Started by DerekWL
Views: 2115 Posts: 20

2008-09-10 11:06 AM DerekWL

cross country skiing

Started by ultrahip_00
Views: 860 Posts: 10

2007-10-09 1:19 PM herridge

Around Cross Country

Started by dbar
Views: 735 Posts: 3

2006-09-27 7:22 AM Scout7

Cross country in the off-season

Started by John_0026
Views: 610 Posts: 5

2004-10-03 9:52 AM vertical_listing
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 2, 2004
author : Michael
comments : 0
If you develop a strategy for the off-season, you can go into the next season stronger than you ended the past season.