General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bad weather decisions.. Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-10-03 9:27 AM

User image

Brooklyn, New York
Subject: Bad weather decisions..
Hey gang, In my continued bad luck (especially with the month of October) my final tri of the season is on the Eastern tip of Long Isl. NY - forecasts for around 50 degrees and winds 20mph with gusts. I hate the cold and am never locking money up at a time where it can be this bad again. I did an early season Du where it was 40 degrees and drizzle. Painful. My hands froze and T2 was a 4 minute horror show. I recently switched to a Zoot sleeveless wetsuit which I love swimming in. Should I squeeze back into my hated TYR bec it's full sleeve? Pretty sure I am out of hand warmers and forgot to load up for the cold season. Maybe I'm just venting, to be honest, this is the only way to kill my motivation - cold weather that reduces the chance of optimal performance. If $$$ wasn't locked up I'd be home on the spinner
Thanks for lending an ear. Sucks, because I've had a good progressive year with each race contending for AG or making podium.

2015-10-03 9:34 AM
in reply to: TJHammer

User image

Expert
Oklahoma
Subject: RE: Bad weather decisions..
Originally posted by TJHammer

Hey gang, In my continued bad luck (especially with the month of October) my final tri of the season is on the Eastern tip of Long Isl. NY - forecasts for around 50 degrees and winds 20mph with gusts. I hate the cold and am never locking money up at a time where it can be this bad again. I did an early season Du where it was 40 degrees and drizzle. Painful. My hands froze and T2 was a 4 minute horror show. I recently switched to a Zoot sleeveless wetsuit which I love swimming in. Should I squeeze back into my hated TYR bec it's full sleeve? Pretty sure I am out of hand warmers and forgot to load up for the cold season. Maybe I'm just venting, to be honest, this is the only way to kill my motivation - cold weather that reduces the chance of optimal performance. If $$$ wasn't locked up I'd be home on the spinner
Thanks for lending an ear. Sucks, because I've had a good progressive year with each race contending for AG or making podium.

Is this your "A" race of the year? If it wasn't my "A" race I would rather lose my money and not have to deal with 50 degrees and winds up to 20mph. If it was a duathlon I would race it no problem but a triathlon? I would pass. But I'm a wuss when it comes to cold weather!
2015-10-03 9:46 AM
in reply to: EKH

User image

Brooklyn, New York
I hear ya. Honestly, I am still early on in a tri life, selected timely races to train, peak, train, peak etc. I have outperformed myself each time. So, "A" race? I'm always expecting an A from myself lol. I have been training close to 7 weeks hard for this race since my last one.
2015-10-03 11:41 AM

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania

What distance is the race?  Honestly, 50's isn't awful, especially if it's sprint or oly distance where the intensity is high, and you're generating a lot of heat.  Also, what's the projected water temp?

I'm not a fan of sleeveless wetsuits at all, so I'm a little biased towards the full, but if it's only a sprint, and you're a lot more comfortable in the sleeveless, just HTFU, and wear the sleeveless.

Personally, at those distances, I'd just race the whole thing in a tri suit or tri shorts & top.  For HIM or IM, I'd throw on a long sleeve top in T1.  A top that fits snug enough not to flap or parachute on the bike, but loose enough that it goes on ok while wet.  I prefer ones that are partial zip rather than no zip or full zip.  No zip is too hard to put on when wet.  Full zip is too hard to start the zipper with cold numb fingers.  You can also pull on a pair of gloves.

2015-10-03 11:43 AM

, Tennessee
I don't have advice on the wetsuit, BUT...even if you don't have a PB day (which you most likely won't in these conditions), I would do it. Think of it as a Mental Toughness Training Day. If you can finish in these conditions, imagine what you can do in more favorable ones. My A-race (Publix Georgia Marathon) had horrible weather. It was windy and pouring down rain the entire time. But running 26.2 in bad weather made any hard training session or race in good weather that much better. I think - "What's a chilly sprint swim in open water compared to that 26.2 in pouring rain? No problem!"
2015-10-03 11:51 AM
in reply to: turnip13

User image

Regular
Pueblo, Colorado
Originally posted by turnip13

I don't have advice on the wetsuit, BUT...even if you don't have a PB day (which you most likely won't in these conditions), I would do it. Think of it as a Mental Toughness Training Day. If you can finish in these conditions, imagine what you can do in more favorable ones. My A-race (Publix Georgia Marathon) had horrible weather. It was windy and pouring down rain the entire time. But running 26.2 in bad weather made any hard training session or race in good weather that much better. I think - "What's a chilly sprint swim in open water compared to that 26.2 in pouring rain? No problem!"

Mental Toughness and physical toughness! Think about the "brag" you can make when you finish. "Yeah, it was kind of cool, but no big deal!" You'll be a bad !

2015-10-04 6:29 PM
in reply to: tedjohn

User image

Brooklyn, New York
Thanks for encouragement guys. I was reading them from the hotel room last night as the wind was blowing wildly. Sunday was a taaaad better, but went at it anyway. Sleeveless suit, it was cold in the water, and crowded. Ended up 2 min pace, but considering my arms and feet were progressively frreezing I was content. Wind wreaked havoc on the bikes, couple people fell, but I hammered anyway. Thing is, because of the conditions, I threw expectations out the window, but training took over and I ran a good race! 15th of 389 and 2nd AG. SOOOO glad I didn't punk out. Actually feel like I could've done better, 4th bike time could've been 2nd. Transitions sucked and sucked more because I put hat under helmet, cycling jacket and gloves on
2015-10-04 8:15 PM

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin

Thanks for encouragement guys. I was reading them from the hotel room last night as the wind was blowing wildly. Sunday was a taaaad better, but went at it anyway. Sleeveless suit, it was cold in the water, and crowded. Ended up 2 min pace, but considering my arms and feet were progressively frreezing I was content. Wind wreaked havoc on the bikes, couple people fell, but I hammered anyway. Thing is, because of the conditions, I threw expectations out the window, but training took over and I ran a good race! 15th of 389 and 2nd AG. SOOOO glad I didn't punk out. Actually feel like I could've done better, 4th bike time could've been 2nd. Transitions sucked and sucked more because I put hat under helmet, cycling jacket and gloves on

Good to hear.

I like the part where you threw expectations out the window. Sometimes when that is done the pressure and stress you put on yourself allows for a performance you weren't expecting it. I did the same "no expectations" mindset for one of my athletes in Chattanooga last week and she took almost an hour of her IM PR.

With weather such as you had, you just gotta embrace it. Remember everyone is facing the exact same conditions. I relish cold and rain, but I also prepare for it during the spring and fall.
2015-10-05 7:06 AM

User image

Exton, PA

Congrats!

On making these bad weather decisions. I'm outside of Philly and from the pic you have up looks like we do some of the same local races.

I don't usually sign up for any tri's past mid September in this area just because of weather issues. If I want do one past that time I train for it and hold out on signing up til last minute. These late ones usually don't sell out, and if you wait til a week before you have a weather forecast that's at least close.
2015-10-05 2:06 PM

User image

50 degrees!!

You should move to the UK where that would be considered a possible hose pipe ban.

All joking apart, there's nothing worse than wet and cold weather - I should know. It's raining now, and the nights are drawing in.
2015-10-05 2:40 PM

User image

Katy, Texas

Impressive results. Congrats!!

2015-10-05 5:36 PM
in reply to: mike761

User image

Brooklyn, New York
Originally posted by mike761

Congrats!

On making these bad weather decisions. I'm outside of Philly and from the pic you have up looks like we do some of the same local races.

I don't usually sign up for any tri's past mid September in this area just because of weather issues. If I want do one past that time I train for it and hold out on signing up til last minute. These late ones usually don't sell out, and if you wait til a week before you have a weather forecast that's at least close.

Yupp, that's the new plan. I've made my share of noob mistakes. Add NOT booking no cancellation hotel reservations to that list as well
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bad weather decisions.. Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Racing in Bad Weather (Disclaimer-CA bad wx....)

Started by AV842
Views: 755 Posts: 8

2012-03-17 3:49 PM beebs

Bad decision on Felt s22 or not !!

Started by trainee
Views: 1830 Posts: 12

2009-07-27 6:13 PM trainee

Stop me from making a bad decision...

Started by Pegasus1731
Views: 1404 Posts: 20

2009-03-31 8:39 AM jbjboc

A bad decision that needs sharing

Started by davegibb
Views: 1449 Posts: 19

2008-06-30 11:08 AM shrano

Decisions, decisions...

Started by Lucy
Views: 566 Posts: 1

2005-07-01 7:13 PM Lucy
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 28, 2015
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 0
Are grains really all that bad for us? To listen to some athletes talk, you'd think grain foods are the dieter's demon. Often demoted to being “just carbs,” whole grains are more than that.

date : December 31, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 2
For most people, there is a story in how they came to the sport as beginners. Some of the most inspiring of those beginner tales begin with health scares.
date : November 29, 2011
author : Pnlop
First race went better than expected!

date : October 31, 2011
author : hoffsquared
comments : 1
Battling nervousness and limited training for a surprisingly good finish
date : June 27, 2011
author : FlashBang
comments : 1
Feeling confident and cocky, after finally losing some weight, I got off my back side and into triathlon.

date : May 27, 2011
author : sdswriter
comments : 15
A Middle-Aged, First-Time Triathlete Overcomes the Elements and Takes Care of Some Unfinished Business
date : February 22, 2010
author : AMSSM
I've seen posts on chronic achilles pain, but nothing on recovery from surgery. I don't know the difference between the good pain and the bad when training.

date : April 17, 2005
author : AMSSM
Training in the cold can be effective and fun with some planning. Overall, prepare for the environment, stay hydrated and dry, listen to your body and have a great safe cold weather outing.