Harmony Bible Church
50F / 10C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 45m 57s
Overall Rank = 13/70
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 3/5
Event warmup:

Arrived a little late. Stretched for a few minutes, did a short jog then started the race.
Run
  • 1h 45m 57s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 08m 05s  min/mile
Comments:

Wore short sleeve technical tee shirt, long sleeve Under Armour shirt, and a long sleeve technical tee shirt - tri shorts, fleece hat, and thin gloves. I was a little chilly at the start but fine within a mile. Legs were a little cold for a couple more miles but where fine before the midpoint of the race. Ended up sweating through the shirt layers and had damp hair under the hat but this was the right outfit combination for the 50 degree sunny but windy weather.

They started the 5k and half marathon at the same time so I started at the front of the pack and ran a fast 7:04 first mile to stay out of the crowds. Slowed to a good pace of about 7:50 for the next few miles. A guy just a little faster than me passed me at about mile 4. I paced off him as we visited until about mile 10 when we turned into a head wind and I couldn't continue this fast for me pace. Overall it was good to run with him because it helped pass the time in the middle of the race that always seems to drag and he made me faster than I would have been by myself.

I never took water on the run. I was fine most of the way but probably could have taken some water at the last two aid stations but I didn't want to have to break stride and it was too cold to risk spilling any water on myself. I was able to run the full length of this race which was half marathon first of mine. I have always ended up walking at least a few aid stations at every half marathon in the past.
What would you do differently?:

Ended up with a couple blisters where I have calluses on the sides of my feet. Should probably put some Vaseline or band-aids on these areas pre-race as a preventative measure.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked and stretched a little. Ate some pretty good home made cookies

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Nothing really

Event comments:

Very well organized race with great volunteer and police support. Live bands on course provided entertainment. The course was gentle rolling hills through a state park. The roads were open to traffic but the traffic was very light. Overall a great race that I would recommend for anyone looking for a good 5k, 10k, 15k, or Half Marathon. They also had kids races the night before.

Last updated: 2015-10-03 12:00 AM
Running
01:45:57 | 13.1 miles | 08m 05s  min/mile
Age Group: 3/5
Overall: 13/70
Performance: Good
Course: Rolling Hills around Geode State Park. My GPS said the total elevation gain was 726 feet.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2015-10-03 8:24 PM

User image

Fort Madison, Iowa
Subject: 12:1 RUN
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » 12:1 RUN Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Oasis ZooRun 10k Run, 5k Run/Walk & Cub Run

Started by ptri
Views: 1526 Posts: 1

2010-10-17 12:58 PM ptri

Keep L.A. Running 5k Run/Walk, 10k Run & 10 and 20 Mile Coastal Bike Cruise

Started by fatoldtrailrunner
Views: 1209 Posts: 1

2010-07-11 6:20 PM fatoldtrailrunner

Oasis ZooRun 10k Run, 5k Run/Walk & Cub Run

Started by richtherunner
Views: 1553 Posts: 1

2009-10-17 12:01 PM richtherunner

SPRING RUN OFF 10K Run & 3K Fun Run/Walk

Started by Robb
Views: 1484 Posts: 1

2007-04-28 1:03 PM Robb

Cape Henry Running Festival 10 Mile Run

Started by captantony
Views: 1260 Posts: 4

2004-11-15 5:39 PM Shrike
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 28, 2012
author : greggseltzer
comments : 6
Why barefoot running is not suited for the average runner.

date : November 2, 2011
author : AMSSM
comments : 4
A doctor's take on how to safely transition to minimalist shoes and how to treat existing injuries
date : October 4, 2011
comments : 8
Sports medicine doc weighs in on the pros and cons of barefoot running

date : July 29, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 3
Third in a series of three articles about the basics, the niceties and the luxuries
date : July 28, 2011
comments : 0
I can train for half marathons on pavement and on trails, but as soon as I change it up to gravel or loose dirt my knee swells and the pain it causes is unreal. Any ideas why this happens?

date : February 11, 2009
At 30 to 40 minutes into my run, my foot starts to go numb. If I keep going, the foot goes totally numb.
date : July 9, 2007
author : gsmacleod
Taking the time to have your running form analyzed can help many athletes run further, faster or both!

date : April 11, 2007
author : Coach AJ
Discussion on the walk/run technique, run injury and cadence, barefoot running, staying aero on long climbs and HIM preparation