General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bike Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-10-04 11:00 AM

Subject: Bike
Hello everyone,

My name is Brandon and I'm brand new to the sport. I'm about to by a GMC road bike sold at wal-mart for my bike because I don't make alot of money being a corrections officer. Does anyone have any advice on it. Can I upgrade it to a better bike by changing components. I know these questions sound stupid but I'll say it. I'm a newb.

Thank you,
Brandon

2015-10-04 12:43 PM
in reply to: frostie0927

Subject: RE: Bike
Is it the GMC Denali? I bought one as my first bike. They're not bad, but far from great...very heavy with lower end components. If you get bit by the bug, you will outgrow it very quickly (it took me about a month before I knew I wanted something better).

In my personal opinion, you can do a lot better by shopping on Ebay, Craigslist, or any of the various bike or triathlon forums. You can pick up a very nice, well kept, used bike for pennies on the dollar, and it will serve you much better than anything you find at Wall Mart.

This time of year, with the bike season in MI ending, the demand is low and there are a lot more deals to be had.

2015-10-04 6:21 PM
in reply to: dpd3672

User image

Ottawa, Ontario
^Agreed. It's a much better idea to go the used route. Fall is a buyer's market, and if you're patient you should be able to find something that's well built with decent components and will last you years (none of those things apply to the Denali)
2015-10-04 7:37 PM
in reply to: #5144654

I agree with ^. However, I'd add that, in my opinion, any road bike is better than no road bike. So, if the GMC is all you can/want to spend then go for it! As you get deeper into the sport, assuming you continue to enjoy it, you'll find ways to save money for a better set up and then the GMC can become your foul weather rider.

What's your budget? Maybe I/we can help point you in another direction.?.

Hope this helps! Good luck.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bike Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Bikes bikes bikes

Started by jmkizer
Views: 2604 Posts: 13

2010-12-07 12:31 PM Gregkl

Bikes bikes and more bikes

Started by Baowolf
Views: 1417 Posts: 14

2007-10-07 9:35 AM Jethawk

Road Bike or Tri Bike

Started by Bonyx26
Views: 1665 Posts: 7

2004-12-18 10:12 AM Machiavelo

Quick bike question mtn vs road bike and gear ratios

Started by pbenedict
Views: 1079 Posts: 2

2004-11-21 11:55 AM Steve-

mountain bike versus road bike

Started by snoopy
Views: 1755 Posts: 14

2004-11-22 4:30 PM lifesgreat
RELATED ARTICLES
date : November 6, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 4
A Walmart bike, a borrowed road bike or a new carbon fiber bike? You don't need to break the bank for your first triathlon bike.

date : August 11, 2011
author : FitWerx
comments : 1
Dean from Fitwerx answers a BT member question about what kind of bike should be the "next bike."
date : June 29, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 4
Second in a series of three articles about the basics, the niceties and the luxuries

date : April 12, 2011
comments : 0
How should I be shifting gears on the front chainring and the rear cogs to cope with hills?
date : December 27, 2008
comments : 9
Are you a beginner triathlete? This video will compare triathlon bikes and road bikes to help you figure out what is best for you as you begin your triathlon training.

date : August 5, 2008
author : mrakes1
Are you traveling to a race and need to ship your bike? This video will demonstrate how to disassemble your bike to be able to pack it properly in a bike case for shipping.
date : March 6, 2007
author : sportfactory
Bike upgrades to gain speed: better wheelsets, a tri-bike, road bike with aerobars, even getting rid of those love handles before getting that lighter bike.

date : July 30, 2006
author : Valdora Cycles
comments : 8
The triathlon bike vs. road bike quandary. Before you even ask the road bike vs. tri bike question, you should have a couple sprint triathlons or duathlons under your belt.