Other Resources The Political Joe » Gun Advocates, What Say You?? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 16

2015-10-05 7:11 AM

User image

Expert
Boise, Idaho
Subject: Gun Advocates, What Say You??

Firstly, Deepest condolences to all those who have been effected by gun violence.

We, as a country, have a gun violence problem.  

So, let me ask you.....what Legislative measure WOULD you consider as a means to (possibly) curb some of these horrible instances from occurring.

I'm NOT trolling for a Gun/No Gun debate; just curious what measures even the most ardent 2A supporter would consider implementing. 

2015-10-05 9:07 AM
in reply to: jeffnboise

User image

Pro
Subject: RE: Gun Advocates, What Say You??

I'm afraid at this point I'd arm everyone, because there is no way in hell you are reeling in the 300,000,000 guns already out there, and sure as hell idiots are going to keep getting their hands on them.

I spent 25 years of my career not ever carrying a gun when I wasn't working.  Now, when I'm out with my family, I'm armed.  It's a terrible way to live in my opinion, but I don't have a better answer. Protect yourself.

2015-10-05 9:19 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

I feel like this: (first 4 min)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=awgs0burFTk

Edited by dmiller5 2015-10-05 9:25 AM
2015-10-05 9:49 AM

User image

Denver, Colorado
Originally posted by dmiller5

I watched this yesterday and couldn't agree more.

I am not really buying the "protection" thing either. If my family is suddenly attacked by a stranger, or a group of strangers, I don't think carrying a gun would make a difference.
Mary

Edited by marysia83 2015-10-05 9:51 AM
2015-10-05 9:49 AM
in reply to: dmiller5

User image

Pro

That was funny. 

I'll say this, there is not a single one of us that is more safe with all of the guns inour society.  I'd just like to hear someone tell me how to fix that....because I see no way.

When I was a young cop it was a big deal to come across a criminal with a gun and be able to get it off the street.  Today?  I can't even begin to tell you how crazy it is....and I hate it.  The worst part is that these morons are shooting people for no reason.  We have robbery victims being shot even when they comply.

I was a proponent of "right to carry" laws and I was wrong.  I didn't count on the amount of really stupid gun owners who leave them in their cars overnight and don't even lock their cars....or can't keep them locked up and safe at home.  In just the small area that my group works I can count over 100 guns taken this year from cars and homes by criminals.  WTF????????  How hard is it to be responsible?  Sadly, it's a question nobody thought about in the name of "safety".

2015-10-05 9:59 AM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

well people did think about it, but were shouted down by 2nd amendment rights "activisits"

DEY TOOK URR GUNNSSS

my solution would be to follow austrailia's example.  A trade in program for guns....and why don't we lock up gun owners the way we do black kids who have a little bit of pot.

2015-10-05 10:03 AM

User image

Pro

well people did think about it, but were shouted down by 2nd amendment rights "activisits"

DEY TOOK URR GUNNSSS

my solution would be to follow austrailia's example.  A trade in program for guns....and why don't we lock up gun owners the way we do black kids who have a little bit of pot.

Lock them up for what? 

I say we lock them up for not securing them.......but you know what happoens then?  Nobody reports their gun stolen.  This is a friggin' mess.

2015-10-05 10:04 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

Originally posted by Left Brain

DEY TOOK URR GUNNSSS

Lock them up for what? 

I say we lock them up for not securing them.......but you know what happoens then?  Nobody reports their gun stolen.  This is a friggin' mess.

well we would have to amend the constitution first

2015-10-05 10:26 AM

User image

Pro

DEY TOOK URR GUNNSSS

Lock them up for what? 

well we would have to amend the constitution first

Dave, there are over 300,000,000 guns in America and conservative estimates put the number of gun owners near 75,000,000 (nobody really knows).....where in the hell do you propose we put all of these people once we "lock them up".  That's just crazy.

What we MIGHT be able to do, IF we release every single non-violent offender from our prison system, is lock up every person who uses a gun illegally.  It's going to cost a boat load of money, but the prison infastructure is already built.  We just need to decide we have had enough of it.  It won't take a single new law.

2015-10-05 10:36 AM

User image

Pro

DEY TOOK URR GUNNSSS

Also, not to get off track.......we lock of plenty of white kids with a little bit of pot too, probably more than black kids.  Stupid marijuana laws are pretty indiscriminate.

2015-10-05 1:34 PM

User image

Elite

DEY TOOK URR GUNNSSS

Also, not to get off track.......we lock of plenty of white kids with a little bit of pot too, probably more than black kids.  Stupid marijuana laws are pretty indiscriminate.

Not to let a blatantly false statement go unchallenged, black youth are incarcerated at 5 times the rate of white youth in the United States.

http://www.aecf.org/m/resourcedoc/aecf-YouthIncarcerationInfographic-2013.pdf

2015-10-05 1:40 PM

User image

Elite

Here is a modest proposal.  First, we abolish the Second Amendment and make unlawful possession of a firearm a felony punishable by $500,000 fine per firearm and of course loss of voting rights.  Third, we seek out and prosecute willful violators of the law.  It would be a three-birder: solve the gun violence problem, pay off the national debt, and take the NRA and radical pro gun lobby out of the electorate.

TW

2015-10-05 1:45 PM
in reply to: tech_geezer

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

Originally posted by tech_geezer

Here is a modest proposal.  First, we abolish the Second Amendment and make unlawful possession of a firearm a felony punishable by $500,000 fine per firearm and of course loss of voting rights.  Third, we seek out and prosecute willful violators of the law.  It would be a three-birder: solve the gun violence problem, pay off the national debt, and take the NRA and radical pro gun lobby out of the electorate.

TW

haha, I actually like the first and third steps

2015-10-05 1:53 PM

User image

Pro

DEY TOOK URR GUNNSSS

Not to let a blatantly false statement go unchallenged, black youth are incarcerated at 5 times the rate of white youth in the United States.

http://www.aecf.org/m/resourcedoc/aecf-YouthIncarcerationInfographic-2013.pdf

Of course they are.......because they can't afford to stay out of prison.  We lock everyone up.....and it's more white people than black poeple. Yes, MANY MORE WHITE PEOPLE THAN BLACK PEOPLE GET ARRESTED AND LOCKED UP.  But unfortunately, black people end up in prison more....for a variety of reasons.  Lack of resources, lack of knowledge, blatant racism, blah,blah,blah.....THAT'S why there are more black people than white people who are incerated....but that has f*ck all to do with how many peolpe get locked up for it to start with. 

I guess maybe I should have said "arrested" and not "locked up".....which lead you to say "incarcerated"....which in my world in neither locked up nor arrested.....it's sent to prison.  Yeah, more black peple are in prison......but it doesn't have crap to do with arrests.

At any rate, the point was that a chit load of young white people get locked up for marijuana possession too.  That ought to keep you busy looking at statistics for a week or so.

Edited by Left Brain 2015-10-05 1:55 PM
2015-10-05 1:59 PM

User image

Pro

TW

Of course....you're volunteering to come out from beihnd your computer and hunt those folks down right?  Because I've got news for you.....they don't give a rats arse what you think, or about any law to take their guns away.....and the problem is.....they have a $hit ton of guns.

Oh....and let me know what the local robbery suspect, who doesn't have a pot to pizz in, thinks about your $500,000 fine and not being able to vote. LMAOOOO

Edited by Left Brain 2015-10-05 2:09 PM
2015-10-05 2:12 PM

User image

It seems absurd to me that solution to gun violence is to take all the guns from law abiding gun owners.

I agree we have a mental health problem.
I agree that we have a metal health prescription abuse problem.
I agree that we have culture of death problem.
I agree we have a self absorption problem.
I agree we have a lack of respect for others and civil society problem.
I agree we have a family structure problem.

Yet, the solution to the problem is to remove the ability of a law abiding citizen to defend themselves, their family, and their property?

2015-10-05 2:13 PM
in reply to: Jackemy1

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

Originally posted by Jackemy1 It seems absurd to me that solution to gun violence is to take all the guns from law abiding gun owners. I agree we have a mental health problem. I agree that we have a metal health prescription abuse problem. I agree that we have culture of death problem. I agree we have a self absorption problem. I agree we have a lack of respect for others and civil society problem. I agree we have a family structure problem. Yet, the solution to the problem is to remove the ability of a law abiding citizen to defend themselves, their family, and their property?

so why are drugs illegal? why do we have speed limits?

its because some of us can't handle these things responsibly......guns are a menace.

2015-10-05 2:13 PM

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
Originally posted by jeffnboise

Firstly, Deepest condolences to all those who have been effected by gun violence.

We, as a country, have a gun violence problem.  

So, let me ask you.....what Legislative measure WOULD you consider as a means to (possibly) curb some of these horrible instances from occurring.

I'm NOT trolling for a Gun/No Gun debate; just curious what measures even the most ardent 2A supporter would consider implementing. 

Now, where'd I leave that ten-foot-pole? There it is...

2015-10-05 2:14 PM
in reply to: Jackemy1

User image

Pro

Originally posted by Jackemy1 It seems absurd to me that solution to gun violence is to take all the guns from law abiding gun owners. I agree we have a mental health problem. I agree that we have a metal health prescription abuse problem. I agree that we have culture of death problem. I agree we have a self absorption problem. I agree we have a lack of respect for others and civil society problem. I agree we have a family structure problem. Yet, the solution to the problem is to remove the ability of a law abiding citizen to defend themselves, their family, and their property?

I doesn't matter how absurd it is.....eventually those that want to get rid of guns will have to come to grips with those other issues.....because you will NEVER rtid this country of guns.  That ship has sailed......forget about it.

2015-10-05 2:18 PM

User image

Pro

its because some of us can't handle these things responsibly......guns are a menace.

So is alcohol.....and it kills many more people....but we don't blame the drink.

I get your point, and I wish we weren't where we are with guns......but I don't agree that an inanimate object can be a menace.  That's reserved for living things.....in this particular case.....human idiots.

2015-10-05 2:21 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

have you ever gotten a sharp stone in your running shoe....inanimate object menace.

2015-10-05 2:22 PM

User image

Pro

have you ever gotten a sharp stone in your running shoe....inanimate object menace.

In my mind, a menace has to be something I can't get rid of.....like Tech Geezer.

2015-10-05 2:54 PM

User image

Well, I've never seen someone use heroin for self defense and, unlike defending oneself, a drivers license is a privilege and not a right.

If you can't handle a gun, I suggest you don't get one.

BTW, people are a menace, not guns.

2015-10-05 2:59 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

Originally posted by Jackemy1

Well, I've never seen someone use heroin for self defense and, unlike defending oneself, a drivers license is a privilege and not a right. If you can't handle a gun, I suggest you don't get one. BTW, people are a menace, not guns.

the self defense excuse is bullchit

ETA: for anyone not living on a remote ranch where there are wolves and bears.

Edited by dmiller5 2015-10-05 3:00 PM
2015-10-05 3:10 PM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by Jackemy1

Well, I've never seen someone use heroin for self defense and, unlike defending oneself, a drivers license is a privilege and not a right. If you can't handle a gun, I suggest you don't get one. BTW, people are a menace, not guns.

the self defense excuse is bullchit

ETA: for anyone not living on a remote ranch where there are wolves and bears.

Funny.....I mostly agreed with that BEFORE all of the right to carry laws went inrto effect and 60,000,000 more guns hit the streets (since 2008)....but I don't feel that way anymore.   Not when people are being robbed and shot leaving the ballpark, or any number of restuarants, shops, etc.  I guess I could just not go to those places......but anymore, there are just too many idiots with guns to suit me.

You likely have no idea how many armed idiots, not to mention criminals. are out and about in society today.  Hint:  fully 1/3 of all DWI arrests we have made this year involve us seizing a gun from the vehicle for "safekeeping".  And yes, before you even bring it up.....it's supposed to be illegal to have a gun and be drunk......but that crime is not prosecuted here.

New Thread
Other Resources The Political Joe » Gun Advocates, What Say You?? Rss Feed  

of 16

RELATED POSTS

Gun advocates plan 5k run Pages: 1 2

Started by DanielG
Views: 2765 Posts: 27

2013-07-05 3:15 PM 1_Mad_Madone

Medical Groups Oppose Gun-Law Change To Share Mental Health Records

Started by DanielG
Views: 1886 Posts: 11

2013-06-19 2:04 PM powerman

CA "Gun Control" Bill basically bans all firearms

Started by bcart1991
Views: 2144 Posts: 6

2013-06-03 10:30 PM SevenZulu

'The' Gun Thread Pages: 1 ... 45 46 47 48

Started by Ron
Views: 40922 Posts: 1177

2013-06-21 10:20 AM powerman

Gun threads - UPDATE

Started by Ron
Views: 2890 Posts: 2

2013-06-06 12:18 PM Ron
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 19, 2013
author : AMSSM
comments : 4
The doctor says not to run again. Ever. Needless to say, I’m not taking this very well. Can I recover from this? Where should I go from here?