General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Cartier, Rolex, etc. Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-10-05 9:31 AM

Subject: Cartier, Rolex, etc.
I received an email from IM yesterday sent out to "all 2015 IM finishers." It was a survey to determine what swag the should add to their Finishers merchandise. My first thought was great! I can tell them to start selling things that are a little more practical like sweat pants, or more budget friendly. First question, and you were REQUIRED to pick three to continue with the survey:

What products would you buy:

Burberry
TAG Heuer
Longines
Tissot
Movado
Rolex
Bulova
Invicta
Breitling
Cartier
Guess
Versace
IWC
Peter Philippe
Timex

Yes, Timex was on the list, but they did not want your opinion if you didn't pick at least three - my thought was, nooo, I wouldn't because I can't afford it so. Am I the only one who spent all my disposable income and retirement on entry fees, lodging, and inner tubes and would like some swag that's less expensive rather than taking out a reverse mortgage on my house to find a way to spend even more money? For those who miss the sarcasm, I didn't use my retirement, but it is more expensive every year just to race. Has this really become a sport only for the ten percenters that pretend they are not? --- and seriously, if you are going to tell me you would commemorate your first IM with Rolex or Cartier -- you are a ten percenters even if not as loaded as Trump or Clinton.

2015-10-05 9:47 AM
in reply to: Dutchcrush

User image

Franklin, TN
Subject: RE: Cartier, Rolex, etc.

Frankly, I wouldn't complete the survey simply because I wouldn't spend an excessive amount for an everyday timepiece.  I wear my Garmin Swim as an everyday timepiece.

2015-10-05 11:30 AM

User image

For daily wear, it's Seiko for me. High quality, classically styled pieces at an affordable price. I have one with a titanium case and band that has the look of nice stainless steel watch, but only weighs about as much as your typical plastic banded sports watch. It was well under $200. I save the sports watch for actual sporting endeavors.
2015-10-05 11:43 AM

User image

Pro

strange that they didn't include these other fine watch companies:

Garmin

Suunto

Polar

but, I can see what they're doing.  they're trying to sell advertising/sponsorship opportunities to these companies that have substantial advertising budgets.  If they can say that the TAG Heuer brand was selected by 64.3% of IM participants as a watch that they said they would buy... it's a powerful motivating force as marketing and sales people don't generally have a clue about how twisted survey data can be.  The IM folks would be able to answer- 'yes, our participants selected your brand from a list and it came out on top'.  

Incidentally, TAG Heuer is a sponsor of the NYC Marathon.  So, clearly this works.

WTC has apparently hired some shrewd marketeers.

2015-10-05 11:47 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

I am not sure that it ever changes from being a 10%-er sport. I was just reading October's issue of Triathlete and it had some stats done by a research group - 96% of triathlete have completed college or university and the average age is 44. We're talking about a well off average here.

But i don't know when this supposed 'golden age' of it being a cheap sport ever was. The bike has always been a huge expense and there was a time there were only a few full-distance Iron races which would always be difficult to get into and expensive to travel for. 

Do what you do. You don't have to buy stuff. I am sure the Timex Ironman watch will still be there. If people don't buy 'em, they won't stock them.

I'll admit i bought my husband the Ironman cufflinks. They weren't cheap but they were a nice token that he can wear to more formal events. 

Edited by juniperjen 2015-10-05 11:49 AM
2015-10-05 4:03 PM

User image

Expert
Wonder what the current list is for top 10,5,1% is? Did a quick search but saw lists that were a few years old.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Cartier, Rolex, etc. Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

LT, Z3, etc. etc....

Started by jjweav
Views: 1062 Posts: 15

2006-02-10 6:25 PM yojimbo

Let's see your custom paintjobs/graphics/etc on your bikes

Started by Metalmasters2k
Views: 814 Posts: 8

2005-02-23 6:00 PM Renee

Bike maintenance, repair, etc. websites and books

Started by lifesgreat
Views: 813 Posts: 5

2005-02-21 9:06 PM Steve-

Templates for TTB Training Plans, Logs, etc. Pages: 1 2

Started by Motivated
Views: 3441 Posts: 42

2005-01-07 5:54 PM H13

Question on Racing Belts / Numbers / etc...

Started by strammer
Views: 690 Posts: 13

2004-08-16 9:56 PM joeinco